Thundercats Forums

Thundercats Forums (http://www.thundercats.ws/forum.php)
-   Thundercats Cartoons (http://www.thundercats.ws/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Thundercats Episode 24 The Soul Sever Discussion (http://www.thundercats.ws/showthread.php?t=20509)

Joe Moore 06-01-2012 02:02 PM

Thundercats Episode 24 The Soul Sever Discussion

Remember, Thundercats Episode 24: The Soul Sever airs Saturday June 2 at 9:30 AM EST on Cartoon Network. Discuss the episode here.

krazycp 06-01-2012 02:44 PM

You know why Cartoon Network sucks and is partially responsible for killing this show? Tomorrow is this episode and there is not even an episode summary yet! I am willing to forgive no clips or pictures, but not even a summary?

I'm not even in the entertainment industry and I know this is crazy.

Mongor 06-01-2012 03:25 PM

Those stupid f'rs at CN go out of their way to not promote TCats in any fashion what so ever. Like CN on Facebook for example and see how many promotions they do for TCats which would cost them nothing. Yup. Zero. But I know all about their morning lineup tomorrow from 10 am on and I've already seen a trailer for the new season of Clone Wars which is a year away! I'll say it again. F U CN.

monothingie 06-01-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazycp (Post 53261)
You know why Cartoon Network sucks and is partially responsible for killing this show? Tomorrow is this episode and there is not even an episode summary yet! I am willing to forgive no clips or pictures, but not even a summary?

I'm not even in the entertainment industry and I know this is crazy.

Best guess is that CN has already written off the show and isn't going to allocate resources to do even the most minimal of marketing and publication. That and they aired all 13 episodes continually with out break get everything in the can out as quickly as possible.

DISCLAIMER: I HOPE the preceding speculation is completely wrong.

Balgus82 06-01-2012 05:27 PM

I posted this in another thread, but Dan Norton posted up the concept for the Soul Sever. Looks like that's the name of a villain. Pretty awesome looking one too IMO.

Soul Sever concept by ~Dingo107 on deviantART

Mongor 06-01-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balgus82 (Post 53280)
I posted this in another thread, but Dan Norton posted up the concept for the Soul Sever. Looks like that's the name of a villain. Pretty awesome looking one too IMO.

I like the character design a lot. He'll make a cool figure.....err...nevermind.

CCDustyV 06-01-2012 06:01 PM

could be they haven't released anything because they're banking on this in the next two eps. the lack of info build up anticipation and so on so forth.

also I might note that Young Justice's episode also hasn't been given any info, previews or picture releases either.

Balgus82 06-01-2012 06:50 PM

"While trying to uncover the location of the next stone, the Thundercats cross paths with a mad man who is trying to insert the souls of his long lost family into machines. When Soul Sever steals the Book of Omens in pursuit of this goal, Lion-O must help restore SS humanity or risk being turned into one of his mechanical monstrosities."

CCDustyV 06-01-2012 07:36 PM

sounds rather dark even for this series... I like.

L08e16o 06-01-2012 11:04 PM

Just want to comment on something. Just watched Snow White and the Huntsman.

Looks like childhood love didn't happen. As Snow White said, we were children. :)

Good movie.

So will someone save lion-o?

Singe 06-02-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balgus82 (Post 53291)
"While trying to uncover the location of the next stone, the Thundercats cross paths with a mad man who is trying to insert the souls of his long lost family into machines. When Soul Sever steals the Book of Omens in pursuit of this goal, Lion-O must help restore SS humanity or risk being turned into one of his mechanical monstrosities."

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Lois this is not my Batman glass.

So for the first time, humans are going to appear in TC.

Singe 06-02-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balgus82 (Post 53280)

Clearly this design was lifted off a certain robot. Some one is a fan of Transformers Prime.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tGahC12vdn...ge-570x402.jpg

AnonymousIncognito 06-02-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singe (Post 53311)
Clearly this design was lifted off a certain robot.

Well, look at the last episode; Graymon, Mothra and Teeny Weeny all got ripped off.

It's kind of obvious at this point in the game that originality is not the TC crews strong point.

It's no wonder the show is on unstable ground.

Balgus82 06-02-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L08e16o (Post 53304)

Looks like childhood love didn't happen. As Snow White said, we were children. :)

Good movie.

thanks so much for giving spoilers for a movie I was going to see today with no warning.

Mum Star 06-02-2012 07:09 AM

Although we complain a lot, honestly we're still following the show. But if CN never promotes that their are new episodes, then of course the ratings will suck, as the more casual viewers will never watch it.

cmangund 06-02-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L08e16o (Post 53304)

Good movie.

Jelenic: Not on my watch! Tygra is my one and only hero! *MJ's Very Stupid Evil Laugh*

L08e16o 06-02-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balgus82 (Post 53333)
thanks so much for giving spoilers for a movie I was going to see today with no warning.

I didn't really give you the spoiler.

There is a lot I didn't say.

fuukonomiko 06-02-2012 09:03 AM

As opposed to episode 23, this one I completely loved :D :D :D

I wish Tygra had kept some Mecha parts. That would have completely rocked the casbah!

L08e16o 06-02-2012 09:03 AM

This episode was a waste of my time. We kind of knew the stone was in the sky.

We knew Jaga's soul was in the book. There was no development again.

I didn't like anything in this episode.

Looks like the thundertank is getting another up grade, will it be able to fly?

L08e16o 06-02-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmangund (Post 53340)
Jelenic: Not on my watch! Tygra is my one and only hero! *MJ's Very Stupid Evil Laugh*

He is writing his childhood tygra fan fic.:D

Balgus82 06-02-2012 09:05 AM

Decent episode. Not one of my faves though. I loved the Soul Sever's design, but he was a little more "mad scientist" than I expected. And where the heck were Pumyra and Cheetara? Did they even explain where they went?

Burning Bright 06-02-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Clearly this design was lifted off a certain robot. Some one is a fan of Transformers Prime.

While Soul Sever's design isn't from TF Prime, as the artist notes for the concept was one of the first pieces done for the development of the new series, there is something of TF Prime in this episode. Soul Sever's voice is provided by the same person who voices Ratchet there: Jeffrey Combs. Although the choice is likely down to his role in the Re-Animator movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balgus82 (Post 53347)
And where the heck were Pumyra and Cheetara? Did they even explain where they went?

That was the worst part of this episode, they just dropped them and the kittens out for no discernible reason.

Balgus82 06-02-2012 09:08 AM

Yeah if he designed this guy as early in development as he said, that would've been before TFP had even aired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning Bright (Post 53348)
Soul Sever's voice is provided by the same person who voices Ratchet there: Jeffrey Combs.

Not to mention Panthro is Bulkhead. lol

AdamofEternia 06-02-2012 09:16 AM

another mediocre episode at best and yet again another waste of episode leading in to the season finale. this show really isn't organized IMO and it is one of the many problems that hurts this series a lot. they have given us two back to back filler episodes and out of the two, a cheetara solo episode still hasn't been explored yet. this episode to me didn't serve any kind of purpose besides telling us about the BoO pointing upwards which we already know. some of the fillers could be used for much needed character development for some of these characters but the writers refuse to do so. unless they are saving cheetara's character for a big twist at the season finale, her role in this series at this point is nothing more than arm candy for tygra.

L08e16o 06-02-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamofEternia (Post 53352)
another mediocre episode at best and yet again another waste of episode leading in to the season finale. this show really isn't organized IMO and it is one of the many problems that hurts this series a lot. they have given us two back to back filler episodes and out of the two, a cheetara solo episode still hasn't been explored yet. this episode to me didn't serve any kind of purpose besides telling us about the BoO pointing upwards which we already know. some of the fillers could be used for much needed character development for some of these characters but the writers refuse to do so. unless they are saving cheetara's character for a big twist at the season finale, her role in this series at this point is nothing more than arm candy for tygra.

Thank you.

There are episodes I don't like, but at least one of the characters are being fleshed out except cheetara.

This was brought up by Singe about the BoO. It sounds like the BoO is about the past, present, and future. It also sounded like it was really powerful, but we get nothing.

L08e16o 06-02-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonymousIncognito (Post 53312)
Well, look at the last episode; Graymon, Mothra and Teeny Weeny all got ripped off.

It's kind of obvious at this point in the game that originality is not the TC crews strong point.

It's no wonder the show is on unstable ground.

But, But WB said this was their A team.:rolleyes:

SirSapphire 06-02-2012 09:50 AM

This episode really spoke to my geekness, what with Jeffrey Combs as SS and the extended "Re-Animator" shout outs, but man, it's just another reason why this show isn't meant to be seen weekly. It really works better on DVD when you can see everything in large chunks and I have a sneaking suspicion that once the finale hits this episode is going to make a lot more sense. Sort of like how "Forest of Magi Oar" works better after seeing "Into the Astral Plane" and "Between Brothers" or the entire freakin' Sword of Plundarr arc plays out like it's a single movie broken into half-hour episodes.

nickanu 06-02-2012 10:07 AM

I like this episode I know it was a filler but those can be good episodes despite what y’all think. If they just stuck to the main story the series would probably be over by now. Fillers help give you a better feel for the main characters (when done right.)
And of course this one’s main theme was the search for immortality, which always leads to a good story.
Only problem I have with this one is when Lion-o mentioning losing they’re humanity…..I don’t know if it was the right word for a cat to use, but I guess I’m just splitting hairs. ^v^

The best thing by far no goofy relationship nonsense…

fuukonomiko 06-02-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickanu (Post 53357)
I like this episode I know it was a filler but those can be good episodes despite what y’all think. If they just stuck to the main story the series would probably be over by now. Fillers help give you a better feel for the main characters (when done right.)
And of course this one’s main theme was the search for immortality, which always leads to a good story.
Only problem I have with this one is when Lion-o mentioning losing they’re humanity…..I don’t know if it was the right word for a cat to use, but I guess I’m just splitting hairs. ^v^

The best thing by far no goofy relationship nonsense…

I liked this episode too. I'm not sure it was a filler-filler. I think it rather hints on the connection between the book of omens and technology. I also think it highlights that the cats are now going to start embracing this technology thing and maybe use it to help defeat Mumm-Ra. Apparently they can't use magic and their skills alone.

Plus I loved Mecha Tygra, too bad he didn't get to keep any of his mecha parts. That would have been beyond awesome.

tallgeeseblue 06-02-2012 12:02 PM

hesh wants to be a tigerbot...

I liked the episode could have been longer, tygra looked cool in his first mecha form might be fun to kit bash that.

monothingie 06-02-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallgeeseblue (Post 53364)
hesh wants to be a tigerbot...

"I hate them all... except for Turtleface."

BB Shockwave 06-02-2012 01:44 PM

You know, when I was watching TF Animated, the episode was uploaded/torrented an hour after it was aired... here I am on the other side of the ocean, waiting, it's almost 21.00, and still no episode. :(

Quote:

Pfffhhh. A: Not even close, it looks more like a robotic angel of death with the scythe-wings. B: Check the comment below the pic, Norton drew this waaaay before Prime was ever aired, as one of his first designs for the show.

vantheman77 06-02-2012 01:47 PM

The only thing I enjoyed was seeing all of the Thundercats together briefly before they focused on Lion-O, Tygra, and Panthro.

There was little development at best as there is something in the sky besides the stone and we see Dorma again after the pilot episode. They should take Dorma back home to Thundera since he lived there before Mumm-Ra's invasion.

If there was a character that shined, it was that mechanical bug. Tygra being a mech was amusing, but they had him saved the day. Not a great penultimate episode before the 2-parter season finale.

Kregermeister 06-02-2012 04:01 PM

Did I just watch Akira??? Pretty bad episode with great designs....

Anyone else catch the destroyed Tiger Flyer?

SirSapphire 06-02-2012 05:08 PM

I think it's official: Tygra is now, as he was back in the day, the show's bitch. Ever since Lion-O's death and return his plans constantly fail, he's wrong about damn near everything, gets dosed with love potion and acts like an idiot, constantly has his ass handed to him in combat with anything bigger than a standard Lizard mook, and is even shown up by Lion-O in fights.
It's like he and Lion-O somehow switched places.

Balgus82 06-02-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirSapphire (Post 53383)
I think it's official: Tygra is now, as he was back in the day, the show's bitch. Ever since Lion-O's death and return his plans constantly fail, he's wrong about damn near everything, gets dosed with love potion and acts like an idiot, constantly has his ass handed to him in combat with anything bigger than a standard Lizard mook, and is even shown up by Lion-O in fights.

Yet people will still say it's the Tygra show and Jelenic hates Lion-O.

SirSapphire 06-02-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balgus82 (Post 53388)
Yet people will still say it's the Tygra show and Jelenic hates Lion-O.

Well that's their opinion, and opinions are never wrong. :rolleyes:

CCDustyV 06-02-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

hate to break it to ya, but Lion O is supposed to supass the golden Tiger, unless you believe he was the one Jaga's prophecy spoke of. I've had a dislike for this Tygra since the pilot so I sorta like him getting some butt handed to him from time to time. But that's just me...

CCDustyV 06-02-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

hate to break it to ya, but Lion O is supposed to surpass the golden Tiger, unless you believe he was the one Jaga's prophecy spoke of. I've had a dislike for this Tygra since the pilot so I sorta like him getting some butt handed to him from time to time. But that's just me...

stormbringer 06-02-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Well to be fair, Lion-o was pretty much the "loveable loser" for most of the show prior to his death. And Tygra was still chosen by Cheetara (as explained by horribly written flashback), so I'm fine with Lion-o finally showing up his brother.

SirSapphire 06-02-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormbringer (Post 53401)
Well to be fair, Lion-o was pretty much the "loveable loser" for most of the show prior to his death. And Tygra was still chosen by Cheetara (as explained by horribly written flashback), so I'm fine with Lion-o finally showing up his brother.

He can have her, I'll take Pumyra over Cheetara any day!

Still though, it'll be interesting to see if and how they address this going into the finale. I think the thing that would finally cause him to break would be finding out that Lion-O and Pumyra are an item as it would take away the last thing Tygra could hold over him (Tygra having a girlfriend and Lion-O not).

Singe 06-02-2012 10:09 PM

Lion-O: Oh my God, he killed Tygra.
Panthro: You *******!

stac 06-02-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirSapphire (Post 53402)

Still though, it'll be interesting to see if and how they address this going into the finale. I think the thing that would finally cause him to break would be finding out that Lion-O and Pumyra are an item as it would take away the last thing Tygra could hold over him (Tygra having a girlfriend and Lion-O not).

Oh yes, the ThunderCats are on a critical quest to vanquish Evil and Tygra throws a hissy fit over Lion-O getting a girlfriend. What a fantastic way to make a rather arrogant and petty character seem even more so.

One would hope that the writers will come up with something better than that. Although, after “Between Brothers,” it wouldn't surprise me if they did go with your theory.

stormbringer 06-02-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirSapphire (Post 53402)

It would be interesting to see how Tygra reacts to he and his younger brother who "came in second to him in everything but the crown", being equals. Tygra would either have to learn to accept things are no longer as they were, or go to the darkside.

Ravenxl7 06-02-2012 11:43 PM

I enjoyed this episode. The bot...guy kept on making me think of one of the ASoE. Jeffrey Combs did a really good job voicing him. Though I have to admit it took me a little while to recognize his voice...:o

It was nice to see things getting back on track. The next two episodes should be interesting. Hopefully they won't be the last ones we get...

BB Shockwave 06-03-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormbringer (Post 53406)
It would be interesting to see how Tygra reacts to he and his younger brother who "came in second to him in everything but the crown", being equals. Tygra would either have to learn to accept things are no longer as they were, or go to the darkside.

This is stupid reasoning, sorry. Tygra obviously no longer wants the crown, as evident in a lot of episodes since the Trials. He has seen the responsibility Lion-O has to take every day, and let's not forget how his short leadership ended... Besides, after they both learned of Tygra's original parents and the reason he desired the throne so much, it seems both have come to terms with their current status. Tygra does (and will) tease Lion-O, but more like as an older brother who wants to keep him on his toes.

All this talk about Tygra turning to the dark side annoys me, as it is an ancient cliche you'd expect to see in fan fiction and run-of-the-mill anime (seriously, if this was anime, Tygra would have replaced Grune on Mumm-Ra's side a season ago). It won't happen here, EVER. Reason? Well, Mumm-Ra killed his adoptive father, are you all forgetting this? And we have seen how Tygra can hold a grudge. You honestly think he'd brush this aside and join him? :rolleyes:

Also, links to the episode would be nice. Can't believe a day passed and there are none... some fanbase this is, learn to share...

L08e16o 06-03-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB Shockwave (Post 53419)
This is stupid reasoning, sorry. Tygra obviously no longer wants the crown, as evident in a lot of episodes since the Trials. He has seen the responsibility Lion-O has to take every day, and let's not forget how his short leadership ended... Besides, after they both learned of Tygra's original parents and the reason he desired the throne so much, it seems both have come to terms with their current status. Tygra does (and will) tease Lion-O, but more like as an older brother who wants to keep him on his toes.

All this talk about Tygra turning to the dark side annoys me, as it is an ancient cliche you'd expect to see in fan fiction and run-of-the-mill anime (seriously, if this was anime, Tygra would have replaced Grune on Mumm-Ra's side a season ago). It won't happen here, EVER. Reason? Well, Mumm-Ra killed his adoptive father, are you all forgetting this? And we have seen how Tygra can hold a grudge. You honestly think he'd brush this aside and join him? :rolleyes:

Also, links to the episode would be nice. Can't believe a day passed and there are none... some fanbase this is, learn to share...

There are already cliches in this and the writers are not original.

Tygra going to the dark side brings more depth to his character. It also allows more focus on his character then being with the group.

Tygra not joining up with mummra because he killed his adoptive father is a cliche is it not.

AnonymousIncognito 06-03-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB Shockwave (Post 53419)

No, it's actually very sound reasoning. You just find it stupid because you don't agree with it.

Boo-hoo, you are annoyed. Stick some ear plugs in and go back to playing with yourself. While you do that, others will continue to discuss the very valid potential that Tygra could turn dark.

Considering MJ is penning ThunderCats as if it were his own poorly thought out fan fiction, cliches are to be expected. Heck, there have been putz-loads of cliches already so another one won't make much of a difference.

Big Snarf 06-03-2012 09:16 AM

I would've thought panthro would've been unbelievably pissed that the thunder tank got wwrecked :D

NIBMRatchet 06-03-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L08e16o (Post 53345)
Looks like the thundertank is getting another up grade, will it be able to fly?

At this rate, this is a possibility.

Having said that, Why do I feel that the episodes are rushing as if they are going to end the story with the 1st season? Seriously!

The story is not focusing enough. I swear when I tell you guys that I had completely forgotten that the Thundercats are seeking the stones until I saw the Book Of Omens this episode. G. I. Joe: Renegades had a similar story (Finding evidence to take-down Cobra) but despite having side-stories, it never went off-course of the main objective unlike the new Thundercats.

Thundercats producers should learn from TV Series like Avatar: The Last Airbender (And even Avatar: The Legend of Korra). A:TLA is the perfect example of how a cartoon series should be. It went for a long time, relationships weren't rushed, focus on the main objective, emotions, memorable characters etc. The list goes on. :)