Thundercats Forums

Thundercats Forums (http://www.thundercats.ws/forum.php)
-   Thundercats Cartoons (http://www.thundercats.ws/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ancient spirits of evil were too soft (http://www.thundercats.ws/showthread.php?t=22927)

test 07-04-2012 02:19 AM

Ancient spirits of evil were too soft

Just re-watching some old classic episodes and they got me thinking.... Did anyone else think that the Ancient spirits of evil were just a bit too soft on Mumm-ra ???
It seems that Mumm-ra pissed them off several times through his failure to defeat "those wretched thundercats" and also through his general insubordinance whenever he found a new powerful toy such as the golden sphere .... yet time after time they threaten to banish/destroy him blah blah blah and then either do nothing or forgive him for the next episode lol

Gotta love the classics ..... its the silly things like that I love about it

CreepySariFan 07-04-2012 06:49 PM

The writting quality certainly wasn't up to par back then, but I still love it all the same. :D

When you look at the villain of the week episodes, how badly they did in comparison to Mumm-Ra...the ASoE really were best off with Mumm-Ra.

It's too bad the Lunataks didn't keep their threat level up where they once did either.

test 07-05-2012 05:14 AM

yeah ... I noticed that the lunataks started out as a real strong force and then dwindled down to almost nothing. I love it to bits , but there is a real definate shift in quality during season 2 where everything seems to go a bit downhill. The animation improves but the writing loses its grip and becomes very sloppy. I hadnt watched my season 2 for ages and recently went all the way through from season 1 to season 2 , but season 1 still gives me goosebumps even today.

On the subject of the ASOE I suppose if you look into it a bit deeper they need mumm-ra just as much as he needs them because nobody else would really be capable of doing their bidding lol

CreepySariFan 07-05-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test (Post 57852)
yeah ... I noticed that the lunataks started out as a real strong force and then dwindled down to almost nothing. I love it to bits , but there is a real definate shift in quality during season 2 where everything seems to go a bit downhill. The animation improves but the writing loses its grip and becomes very sloppy. I hadnt watched my season 2 for ages and recently went all the way through from season 1 to season 2 , but season 1 still gives me goosebumps even today.

On the subject of the ASOE I suppose if you look into it a bit deeper they need mumm-ra just as much as he needs them because nobody else would really be capable of doing their bidding lol

The Lunataks wrecked the ThunderCats stuff for a long time for sure. It's too bad Skytomb doesn't get talked about more often either. A mobile enemy HQ with an awesome synth-theme that rarely ever appeared in the later seasons.

Not to mention that they were a force with an actual theme as tight as the ThunderCats themselves. Seems like a rare creative commodity only matched by groups like He-Man's Snake Men (but then they didn't have vehicles to go along with that theme like the ThunderCats and Lunataks, what a waste).

I'd love it if the ASoE had an explanation as to why their power is so limited in our universe; particularily in the modern incarnation if it gets another season. They're practically Warhammer 40k Chaos Gods, by the look of it, without all the in-fighting.

Big Snarf 07-05-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test (Post 57852)

Nobody else wants mumm-ra's job even he doesn't want be the servant of the ASoE anymore but they own him

moreprimeland 07-09-2012 01:18 AM

I've been watching the original TC's and I loved the first season, but the 2nd season, especially the Lunataks left a lot to be desired, imho. They were one of the silliest group of villians I can remember....and there have been quite a few, especially in the 80's. I agree that the animation was better but leaving out Tygra really spoiled it for me...I think toward the end (S2Bk2) he was only in 1 episode because they returned to their repaired Thundera and left him on 3rd Earth.
The ASoE tried to punish Mumm-Ra, but without him they couldn't do anything about the TC either, so they kept having to bring him back...he was their servant after all. :)

Lioconvoy 07-09-2012 03:41 PM

The spirit world can't directly affect the physical world. That's why they need a conduit, like Mumm-Ra.