Thundercats Forums

Thundercats Forums (http://www.thundercats.ws/forum.php)
-   Thundercats Customs Projects (http://www.thundercats.ws/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   WIP 6" Winged Mumm Ra (http://www.thundercats.ws/showthread.php?t=5461)

77kustoms 09-15-2011 08:54 AM

6" Winged Mumm Ra

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE 9-17-11 Washes and shading done, sheild done.
I need to make the bandages still. I have opted for a light grey for the bandages... I think lol! His left arm and crotch panel are now grey leaving the right arm white. let me know what you guys think. He should be complete with a proper photo shoot next week.
C&C MOST WELCOME!

Saint Phe 09-15-2011 10:37 AM

Very, very cool. I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself.

IndyCat 09-15-2011 10:47 AM

that looks really good and nice color matching!

77kustoms 09-15-2011 11:40 AM

Thanks guys!
Upon further review from show stills and the CN party pack, his wings are tattered. It wont be too hard to tatter the wings... I will have to repaint them anyhow when I add the points to the top of the wings.

crackus 09-15-2011 12:19 PM

has anyone tried to put the 4" mumm-ra wings to the 6" one? or would it be too small?

77kustoms 09-15-2011 12:34 PM

I personally haven't tried it. I am sticking to the 6" line. I thought about trying it but overall didn't like the way the wings looked with the big hinges in the middle. The 6" version does have two slots on his back for wings tho....

optmax 09-15-2011 12:50 PM

Looking good I can not wait see him finished.

Thinktank 09-15-2011 05:11 PM

Looking good sir. Nice work there.

My box for this very same project has been waiting idle longer than I like. My thoughts very much the same, I have some revoltech joints and some spare ML(H): Annihilus wings I am looking at possibly using on mine.

I can tell you finding some good symmetrical bat/dragon wings in the correct size is easier said than done these days.

The Ever Living 09-16-2011 01:00 AM

These look great!
I will reveal my choice for wings only because I have no money to buy a spare mumm-ra or the figure these belong to.
I have done some resrearch....and these wings should be in perfect scale.
The figure itself should be around 7 inches tall and the wings make it 13 so picture how nice they would look with Mumm-ra
http://www.pandawill.com/media/catal...mage_48184.jpg
Its from a wow toy named illdian.

77kustoms 09-16-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinktank (Post 16375)
Looking good sir. Nice work there.

My box for this very same project has been waiting idle longer than I like. My thoughts very much the same, I have some revoltech joints and some spare ML(H): Annihilus wings I am looking at possibly using on mine.

I can tell you finding some good symmetrical bat/dragon wings in the correct size is easier said than done these days.

I almost went with some "How to Train your Dragon" wings as theses are just about everywhere on clearance. I am getting anxious to see yours!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ever Living (Post 16408)
These look great!
I will reveal my choice for wings only because I have no money to buy a spare mumm-ra or the figure these belong to.
I have done some resrearch....and these wings should be in perfect scale.
The figure itself should be around 7 inches tall and the wings make it 13 so picture how nice they would look with Mumm-ra
http://www.pandawill.com/media/catal...mage_48184.jpg
Its from a wow toy named illdian.

Those wings are very aggressive looking! They should make for some bad ass poses!

The Ever Living 09-16-2011 11:31 AM

Can't find the figure for less than 30 bucks.
I like how yours looks so far, the top of the brow painted looks great! It's much more menacing and show accurate.
How come you painted the arm bands grey though?

77kustoms 09-16-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ever Living (Post 16461)
Can't find the figure for less than 30 bucks.
I like how yours looks so far, the top of the brow painted looks great! It's much more menacing and show accurate.
How come you painted the arm bands grey though?

I didn't boil and pop at the elbows...or anywhere really lol! I work in a body shop and have access to a product called Bull Dog. It is an adhesion promoter that makes paint stick to just about anything. So with a vast amount of paitence and bending joints and spraying I can see where any rub points may be. Mumm Ra has just about none, so every joint gets full coverage. I did pull him apart where possible though. Mumm Ra has a lot of soft plastic so coating him with adhesion promoter enabled me to use urethane paint as opposed to enamel paint which in some areas if applied will never dry.

I haven't exactly decided what I intend to do with the armbands or shin guards (?), I may try gold leafing them. That will be a pain in the ass though. Gold leaf likes flat surfaces. But as to why they were painted, its just over spray. They will be gold again.

The Ever Living 09-17-2011 02:00 AM

Bulldog huh?
Yeah the soft plastic and enamel don't like each other very well at all.
If you use some Gold from a paint marker and just splat it on a pallete and apply it with a brush it will work.
Only thing is any kind of sealer and soft plastic will also eventually get sticky and shiney.
It's hard to work with these toys some times.

77kustoms 09-17-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ever Living (Post 16547)
Bulldog huh?
Yeah the soft plastic and enamel don't like each other very well at all.
If you use some Gold from a paint marker and just splat it on a pallete and apply it with a brush it will work.
Only thing is any kind of sealer and soft plastic will also eventually get sticky and shiney.
It's hard to work with these toys some times.

Without the use of bulldog you could try clear coating with the infamous future floor polish. that stuff has 100 uses. or coating with any Acrylic paint. Just make sure your surface is free of factory mold release.

UPDATE: see first post.

Saint Phe 09-17-2011 10:28 PM

Looking very cool. I LOVE what you've done with the gauntlet. My personal preference is for the white bandages. I like them to stand out a little.

crackus 09-18-2011 04:49 AM

man!! that looks awesome!!!! can we see a pic of the mumm-ra's back please

crackus 09-19-2011 09:13 AM

can you do a tutuorial on how to do this as well. thanks!!

77kustoms 09-20-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint Phe (Post 16621)
Looking very cool. I LOVE what you've done with the gauntlet. My personal preference is for the white bandages. I like them to stand out a little.

I am not digging it either really, it was a test. I will be dry brushing with white over the grey, that should help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by crackus (Post 16743)
can you do a tutuorial on how to do this as well. thanks!!

I will for sure have a pic of his back once complete, im not big on doing tutorials but I can give tips/ advice! Just ask!

rchrz60 09-20-2011 12:25 PM

Very nice mod. Someone else on here redid the wings using Spawn wings I think, that looked pretty cool as well. I my be hitting you up if I'm not happy with the Classics mumm-ra if he ever comes out.

crackus 09-20-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchrz60 (Post 16937)
Very nice mod. Someone else on here redid the wings using Spawn wings I think, that looked pretty cool as well. I my be hitting you up if I'm not happy with the Classics mumm-ra if he ever comes out.

link?

crackus 09-20-2011 12:31 PM

nevermind.. found it!!! :D

crackus 09-20-2011 01:06 PM

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjM5WDEwMD...+)w~~60_12.JPG

what do you guys think about the wings on this figure?

rchrz60 09-20-2011 01:13 PM

Those would make good Mumm-Ra Wings! Nice Find!

crackus 09-20-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchrz60 (Post 16948)
Those would make good Mumm-Ra Wings! Nice Find!

yeah, if only i knew how to put them in... LOL!!

77kustoms 09-20-2011 01:29 PM

Those are pretty cool! I think the may be more accurate than mine, They appear smaller than the ones I used which is fine there is no right or wrong way its all artist perception. The big bonus I see with those wings are you could probably plug them into the existing slots on mumm ra's back with a little carving... however they may just be stuck swept back going that route? Any how good find!