Community Rules Today's Posts Search

Thread: G.I. Joe News
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #959
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: Shin Densetsu @ HissTank.com

Quote:
Recently, CoolToyReview sat down for a rather intriguing conversation with Sideshow Toys. While Sideshow has finally decided to tackle 1/6 scale super hero figures from the DC Universe, they are also going to use new body bucks. However, the 1st new female buck won't actually be used in the DC Universe line 1st, it will be used for the all new Sideshow 12 Inch Baroness!

DMM The DC Universe has a varying range of characters from adult male and female, to teens, and scrawny adults. Are you prepared to move past the iconic male figure?

BB Hopefully so, yeah. We’ve got a new female body in the early production phases. We’re working through test shots and things. We’ll be debuting it this year in the G.I. Joe line, as Baroness. That’ll be in the mid part of 2012, and then superhero, super villain gals will follow after that. Our new beefier male body is quite different from our Prometheus and trooper male bodies.

DMM Have we seen parts of this new body in Rock ‘N Roll or even Duke?

BB No. While the proportions may be similar, this new body will be unique.

Aside from that news, Sideshow also mentions that their presumed influence on certain Modern GI Joe figures(such as Pursuit Of Cobra Snake Eyes, 30th Anniversary Storm Shadow, Cobra Trooper, to name a few), was actually the result of a lot of back and forth communication with Hasbro. For example, the Pursuit Of Cobra/30th Anniversary Cobra Viper was actually a big inspiration for the Sideshow team, and their 1/6 version of the Viper.

In addition, it's mentioned that the Cobra Trooper platform is on pause, as the team wants doesn't want to release one without it being substantial and genuine.

DMM In terms of your G.I. Joe line, I’ve always felt that your more daring interpretations have been the coolest pieces in the collection.

BB I think it represents where our design team is in terms of ambition. We’re really trying to carve out an opportunity for them to be thoughtful. A lot of consideration goes into each product so when you’re taking it out and setting it up, there is a lot to find. It allows you to trace back to the source material everything from the gun to the garment. We then think, if this is what he uses, he’d have this sort of load out. What would the modern equivalent of that be, and what would be one step past.

DMM Your G.I. Joe line also seems to have rippled back into the classic Hasbro collection. In the last year we’ve seen a Snake Eyes, Cobra Trooper, and now a Storm Shadow figure strongly influenced by the Sideshow design.

BB I’d love to check back with them on that, because a lot of the back and forth we have with Hasbro influences our designs. It’s kind of full circle, I think. The last Cobra Viper they’d done has really inspired our guys. That process was happening somewhat simultaneously.

DMM But then out of left field you guys come up with the leather pilot’s helmet head…

BB We just wanted to add a little something to the mythos, however little, to put just a little extra flavour and character into it.

DMM Just like you did with the Crimson Guard. That looks like a Fred head to me.

BB It sure looks like a Fred head.

DMM I was actually surprised we didn’t see a scar faced Cobra Trooper. Matter of fact, I think that’s a character even Hasbro seems to have looked past. I think they’ve only made a figure of him once.

BB Yeah, I think you’re right, but we’ve put the Cobra Trooper platform on pause. We didn’t want to release another one without adding something substantial to it, and we want it to feel genuine.

DMM That makes sense, but I have to admit that I found the two Desert Troopers to be the finest in the bunch. I know they came with the same gear and all, but the aesthetic was pretty cool.

BB There’s a fine balance in there. I love the classic line from a modern toy design standpoint because they did so much. Just like what Mattel is doing with the Four Horsemen on the He-Man line where they can continue to reuse parts and pieces so cleverly and with such a broad colour contrast without giving away that it's the same piece.
Original Source: Sideshow 12 Inch Baroness Confirmed - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote