Community Rules Today's Posts Search

Thread: G.I. Joe News
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #1214
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: BCYOJOE @ HissTank.com

Quote:
Since we are waiting for the latest Trailer, here’s something to read to kill the wait. Director Jon Chu was recently interviewed by The Hollywood Reporter regarding G. I. Joe: Retaliation.

THR: [Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson] works hard. Not all of his movies have been incredible, but you can always tell that he’s really trying to make it work.

Chu: And that was truly the case. He comes from a military family -- his cousin is in active duty, I believe, right now -- and so he comes from a very real place. He’s like, "This means a lot to me in terms of the military men and women out there and servicing that and their kids, to know that like their parents are heroes." And yes, we’re in a fantasy world, but it represents the same ideals. And so we’ve had a lot of long, long discussions about that, and he worked hard on honing the character, learning all about Roadblock. So it’s just fun to explore how they changed things throughout the comic book and the toys. They would just make up facts, so it’s hard to like come up with the actual “who he is,” but we got to pick and choose, which is nice. But he wasn’t like movie star diva or something like that, like, “Well, I'm the guy, so why would I crawl on the floor right now?” He was down. And when you think about who represents the ultimate iconic action hero or action figure, he’s the only one right now. The only other ones are old-school guys like Bruce. And to have both of them pays homage to the history, also sort of bridges the gap for the people who don’t know anything about G.I. Joe at all. It really, really is nice.

THR: Do you fully address getting rid of the guys from the previous film at the beginning of the movie, or how does that sort of work?

Chu: Yes and no. We address a little bit, but also leave some of it up in the air. But in my mind, the movie was never about them; the movie is about our characters that you introduced from the beginning. We wanted people to come into this movie and, if you haven’t seen the first movie, be totally OK, which is actually pretty tough because Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are hard to explain to somebody who had never seen G.I. Joe. But we leave some of it open, so you’ll see.

Read more at The Hollywood Reporter.
Original Source: Jon M. Chu Talks G. I. Joe: Retaliation - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote