TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #108
Chique
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSapphire View Post
I'll just say I'd rather have a flawed character than a flat character.
Please and thank you.

Cheetara was boring and flat for the first 13 episodes of this series. Just dull and completely predictable. Nothing engaging about the character at all. All she did was encourage Lion-O when he was feeling down. That's it. She was the stereotypical female lead, only there to emotionally support the male lead. She made no real connection with the audience, which is why so many feel no objection to treating her like a ball to bounce between the two brothers.

Some of you may not like the way she did it, but confessing to Tygra was finally something that she did for herself. Sure she did it to settle some of the tension between the brothers, but ultimately she decided that being with Tygra was something she wanted to do. It's something she has chosen for herself, finally NOTHING TO DO WITH LION-O.

If we're going to complain about how the lead female is written, then lets be honest. Her choice of boyfriend is not what makes her poorly written. It's the fact that the authors have given you no reason to give two shits about her, other than her connection with the male leads. Our inability to empathize with her, or connect with her is what makes her a subpar character. We see no value in her as a person. Who cares if she can fight, this is an action cartoon, everyone has some level of combat ability.

Up until now, she's had no faults. She's be written off as a perfect spot free character without any problems to work on. There was no where for her to go. Up until 13, what could any of us say about Cheetara's flaws or complications? She stays in the background because there is nothing for us to address.

Romance is not a problem. Yes its stereotypical and predictable, but it doesn't have to be a problem. Not as far as development. Oh wow look, Cheetara may actually have a flaw now. She can't think straight because she is being pulled between love and duty. Yeah I would have liked something else, but its better than a totem pole with tits. Cheetara before 13 could have been replaced with a tape recorder. As of now, I see the potential for her to GROW into something more.

As for the anorexic ho thing, the creators are not perfect. They can say stupid shit too.

As for Singe's reply:

Cheetara not wanting to see her boyfriend get his head lobbed off is not a problem. boyfriend or not, THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO STICK TOGETHER. I think Lion-O sacrificing Tygra is worse than Cheetara wanting to save him. Don't forget, the three of them were in danger because Lion-O wanted to be an angry jerk. He should have been happy that they even bothered to follow him after he told them to stay behind.

She failed to protect Lion-O not because she didn't try, but because she was being held hostage. She wasn't just standing around shooting the breeze.

What sound reason did she have to believe Lion-O survived that fall? The word of a emotionally distraught 8 year old? Like she said, the time for mourning would come later. Now its time for the TCats to finish what Lion-O started, so that his death is not in vain.

Oh yeah, Cheetara was consistent before 13. Consistently boring. Her lack of development is just as detrimental to her character as a potential derailment.

Last edited by Chique; 04-08-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Chique is offline   Reply With Quote