Community Rules Today's Posts Search

Thread: G.I. Joe News
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #69
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: Shin Densetsu @ HissTank.com

Quote:
TIME Magazine has picked GI Joe as one of the top 100 most influential toys from 1923-present. Allie Townsend of TIME writes:

In 1964, during the Cold War, a new kind of "doll" emerged on the toy scene — and this one wasn't sitting still. Marketed to boys, Hasbro's G.I. Joe was a moving, talking "action figure" that came with a volume of war accoutrements that would make Barbie's shoe collection seem frugal in comparison. Hasbro established the character as a macho war hero and, more importantly, the anti-Ken. Though they were nearly the same size, Hasbro's marketing campaign couldn't have been clearer: This was a boy's toy. Depending on your household, G.I. Joe was either carrying out dangerous missions of war or driving Barbie around in her pink convertible, but he never suffered from an identity crisis. Along with the toy, Hasbro fostered a series of comics, a television series, video games and even a feature-length film.

While the 12" GI Joe figures started it all, the 3.75" scale figures have been popular since their introduction in 1982, with even more companies embracing the popular scale now. Through the years, GI Joe has evolved over the years, and Hasbro will be kicking off the GI Joe 30th Anniversary(the anniversary referring to GI Joe A Real American Hero) line later this Fall, with modern interpretations of classic, iconic items mixed with toys from the ongoing GI Joe Renegades series. Through all the ups and downs, GI Joe is still here, nearly 50 years after its debut.
Original Source: GI Joe Is One Of The Top 100 Most Influential Toys - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote