Community Rules Today's Posts Search

Thread: G.I. Joe News
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: Shin Densetsu @ HissTank.com

Quote:
HISS Tank brings you another GI Joe Comic review, this time for GI Joe A Real American Hero #163, a preview of which can be seen here! With Snake Eyes still brainwashed, the Baroness held captive, see how GI Joe and Cobra react to missing operatives! Another adventure in the Brainwave Scanner!

Check out how the latest issue in the GI Joe A Real American Hero series turned out after the jump!
HISS Tank brings you another GI Joe Comic review, this time for GI Joe A Real American Hero #163, a preview of which can be seen here! With Snake Eyes still brainwashed, the Baroness held captive, see how GI Joe and Cobra react to missing operatives! Another adventure in the Brainwave Scanner!

GI Joe A Real American Hero #163 Review

Credits
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Writer: Larry Hama

Art by SL Gallant & Ron Wagner
Inks by Gary Erskine
Colors by Andrew Crossley & Thomas Deer

Letters: Shawn Lee

Editor: Carlos Guzman

Consulting Editor: Andy Schmidt

Review

GI Joe A Real American Hero #163 focuses on both GI Joe and Cobra with 1 member of the opposite side under their control. The Baroness is imprisoned, meanwhile, Snake Eyes is still in Cobra captivity.

It doesn’t take long for the Baroness to cause mischief in her cell. I thought it was pretty funny how easy it was for her to get under the Joes’ skin.

Another thing I found funny was the sight of Cobra Commander on the Jersey Shore, shooting at cardboard cutouts of the Joes. While Destro is worried about the Baroness, the Commander doesn’t really care. It is here that we see the distinction between GI Joe and Cobra, when it comes to captured members. Cobra Commander comes off as selfish and somewhat oafish in this issue. Now this isn’t a complaint, because this is in-line with how Cobra Commander has been portrayed before, under Hama.

We’ve seen Billy addicted to the Brainwave Scanner, and it seems that Snake Eyes is too. What was interesting was to see him “re-live” the death of his family. However there is a twist. Snake Eyes uses the brainwave scanner to fantasize about what he would have done had he been there.

Now I find this interesting because since Snake Eyes cannot talk, we never really know what’s going on in his mind. Rarely do we ever know what he thinks about, he’s usually seen, literally, as a man of action.

So it was cool to gain insight into the mind of Snake Eyes, while he took a trip down memory lane in the brainwave scanner. Usually we see Snake Eyes as a man who is deadly, but has honor. However in his fantasy, he does cross the line. There is some symbolism in Snake Eyes’ fantasy, which does have something to do with Billy. This is “key” in setting up what happens in the next issue.

When it comes down to it, this issue is all about what GI Joe and Cobra do to try to get their captured members back. While Destro lacks support from Cobra Commander, he gains support from a group that may ultimately prove to be a mistake. Meanwhile, since Storm Shadow is a handful for the Joes, they think he is more than enough to get Snake Eyes back. While Duke comes off as confident, Cobra Commander comes off as apathetic.

In some ways, the Joes and Cobra come off similarly in this issue, despite their differences. The insight into Snake Eyes’ imagination was something I was not expecting, and I thought it was unique. The most important parts of this issue happen “all in the head”, and this sets up the next issue rather well. A recommended read.
Original Source: GI Joe A Real American Hero #163 Review - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote