TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 AM   #259
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevster View Post
The archetype of Superman , a high ranking scientist/ royalty sends his only alien son from a dying planet that crash lands on Earth. ( borrows from jesus and moses) I believe thats what Jelenic is referring. As does it borrow a little from Star Wars ( magic sword, young guy bestowed a mantle--Jedi---- and a Ghostly advisor Jaga=Obi wan )

These archetypes, as analyzed and researched by Joseph Campbell are successful and passed down though the ages . Even if you don't know why, on a gut level you respond to them because your mind recognizes them and connects with them.
Have you seen Eragon, the movie? It straight-out copies all of these 'archetypes' (read: cliches). So much, that when the hero's aunt and uncle are killed by the evil empire (TM) he cries the same words as Luke, just replace the names. Heck, same scene even with the burning hut and the bodies...

And there was a good reason no sequels were ever made, even though the Eragon books were a big success. Even little kids know Star Wars and recognize plot element borrowing when they see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
If they were just going to make the same show, why bring it back at all? The OS has like 130 epsidoes to enjoy. Also the more you limit your writers and artist the less they're able to flex their creativity, and the faster they'll burn out on the project.
Hear-hear. If these guys want pretty much exactly the same things from the new series as the old... there is the old series to watch.

Change can be good. I loved Generation 1 Transformers (well, the comics mostly), heroic and often over-analyzing Optimus Prime, logical Prowl, eminent grey Soundwave... Now TF Animated came along, where Optimus was now just one of many Primes, a young promising officier who ruined his career, Prowl was a patient cyber- ninja, and Soundwave was an emotionless machine given life by the Allspark, starting a revolution to free robots from human "slavery". And... I loved it. The characters were recognizable hommages to the old series characters, they all had some key elements of the old versions, and they were fresh re-imaginations of them. Heck, since Animated, Corey Burton is 'THE' Megatron voice for me, Frank Welker nostalgia or not.

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 06-22-2012 at 05:26 AM..
BB Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote