TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Lord of Cragsclaw
Thunder Kitty
I’m glad someone asked this question because I was curious too. I had always seen the Thundercats with a more humanoid appearance, with a “cat-like veneer”, which I liked, rather than full on “bipedal cats.” It is very encouraging that the developers took the time to ask the questions about evolutionary differences between the various humanoid cats seen. I find it very intriguing that Clawdus and Lion-O, Cheetara and Panthro, and others, all look more or less humanoid yet the Kittens and Grune look more cat like with their ears and tails and facial features… when I saw the revamp.

In the original series, I never got the impression, though, that they were hairy from head to toe. I thought they were smooth skinned, like we humans, but that their markings were part of their skin. In the new series, it does seem they have a pelt, at least on their sholders, as seen on Lion-O a few times. For humans, there is an evolutionary reason why we lost most of our hair on our bodies, if cats were to evolve into a humanoid form, it stands to reason that they too would lose a lot of their body hair.

Another observation, from an evolutionary standpoint, which goes to the question about tails, is that for bipeds we do not need tails for balance. Though humans do have a tail bone from which a tail would have spraing forth, we have long since lost that appendage. Some scholars believe that some of our primate ancestors learned to stand upright as a response to foraging and traversing in waist deep waters in East Africa, this too, some say, is why we lost a lot of our body hair.

As for the fur pelt, it should be noted that when one shaves a cat’s coat, their skin is as pink as ours :P, and their markings are only fur deep.

Does anyone else have anything to offer on a possible evolutionary history for Thundercats?

Last edited by Lord of Cragsclaw; 08-11-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Lord of Cragsclaw is offline   Reply With Quote