TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #301
L08e16o
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorclawX View Post
This is a load of nonsense and you know it. The show has already aired 25 episodes, which is more than some shows have on their fair shake, and whatever momentum was built up from its strong start petered out of its own accord, not from anything people watching the show did or did not do. This show followed on the heels of something like Avatar The Last Airbender, which hit the ground running and ran a very successful run of its own accord without nostalgia or good feelings to give it a good running start. It did it of its own accord.

Transformers didn't succeed in a vacuum; it succeeded because it was strongly backed by its toy line. You could easily go to the store and pick one up, and be confident that you picked up a character, no matter how shallow, because he was on the show. As opposed to that, I've actually YET to see a Thundercats toy at retail outside of a Toys R Us, and not only that, I can't buy anything other than a Cat, of which I have the least interest in (the fact is, personally, I preferred the Mutants even back then, but that kind of lends into my buying pattern of villains over heroes).

If anything, Thundercats is suffering the same problem the 2003 He-Man revival did-- the show and the toy line are woefully out of sync with each other. The He-Man toyline didn't suffer so much from availability than it did from what it made available (a lot of it was variants of He-Man and Skeletor), and the cartoon took a huge gamble by sidelining Skeletor in its second season in favor of the Snake Men (which proved 'somewhat popular' with old fans, but not so much the kids, and that's beside the fact you couldn't actually buy Snake Men in the toyline in many places). It was such a crying shame that He-Man failed because it actually managed to sell something as silly and revolting as Stinkor as a legitimate character.

Thundercats can only go so far with good intentions and best wishes. I refuse to accept that what we've got is 'okay' because it's been done better. For a show that lives or dies on its merchandising someone really dropped the ball.
GREAT!! My cousins and I had all the TCats from the 80s. I still know guys in their 40s that still buy stuff that is related to the 80s series.

It does seem CN put a lot of stock in the toy line.

I wonder if they will even think about trying silver hawks.

TF toys were always great.