Community Rules Today's Posts Search

Thread: G.I. Joe News
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1262
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: BCYOJOE @ HissTank.com

Quote:
Slash Film was able to sit down for an interview with Jon Chu; the Director of G. I. Joe: Retaliation. Mr. Chu talked about the introduction of Joe Colton and reinventing Cobra Commander.

Question: I wanted to know, why should people who hated the first film give this sequel a chance?

Jon Chu: It’s crazy, because as polarizing as that first movie was, people still went and saw it and people still went and saw it over and over and the DVD sold like crazy, so…

Question: And then you made a sequel, so they must have made money.

Jon Chu: Exactly. And especially now like hearing the fans say what they want and don’t want and which characters they wish were coming back and which weren’t. I mean it seems like more people like it than people will admit, which is crazy. And we are not trying to compete with that movie, we are trying to make a different movie. To me, the GI JOE product means something very different than the filmmakers of the last movie. To me, GI JOE is this very personal thing. I grew up on GI JOES. I grew up playing GI JOES and so I have a very specific idea and it’s probably really different from people who first knew about GI JOE with the 12 inch action figure, but we really tried to bridge all of those mythologies with everything you know about Joe and put it into one. For instance, Joe Colton, one of the number one questions when I first signed on to the movie everyone would be like “Well who is playing Joe?” I’m like “What are you talking about? There is no “Joe.” Then I remembered Joe Colton and was like “That would be really awesome to give Joe a face and a personality and there’s only one iconic person that could ever play that and that would be Bruce [Willis].”

Read the entire interview at Slash Film.

Mind you, the associated thread contains SPOILERS. Step carefully.
Original Source: Jon Chu Talks More About G. I. Joe: Retaliation And Cobra Commander - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote