Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #313
Chique
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
I basically agree with you here. Cheetara is of course free to end up with whoever she chooses. Like I've said too many times, she ended up with the one I wanted/expected.

Couple of caveats though:
1. Freedom to choose doesn't excuse poor presentation. Reveals are valid writing tools. Showing viewers/reader something they didn't see as they went on. But that doesn't mean that every time they're used, they are used well and have to be accepted. A perfectly good writing tool can be used in a crappy fashion.

And a pretty good example of a bad 'reveal' is when it is used to retroactively explain a development that is almost the opposite of everything that has happened in the story.

2. Cheetara's not real. This is important. She, technically, has no rights or freedoms of any kind. She is a storytelling device. As such, to produce a quality story (which is the goal of fictional media, since it makes more money that way), her behavior is beholden to the story being told, and the quality of the story being told is in the eyes of the viewers.

No matter who she ends up with, she has not made a 'free' choice about anything. She's just a piece of the writer's story. Had she chosen Lion-o, that would have been just as 'free' as that she chose Tygra. The question is 'was it done well?' not 'what does it say about Cheetara's rights as a woman?'

Besides, Thundercats long ago failed the becktel test (I'm probably getting the name wrong, seems to me Chique might know this) pretty badly.
My response was more about calling attention to some of the logic behind some of the post I've read. No she isnt real, but responses like "Lion-O did more" are silly, degrading and archaic. Unfortunatley, I've come across people who really think giving a woman "gifts" earns you a right to her affections. Why not use a cartoon to teach others a little something about equality and fairness? ((ugg, please don't find me pretentious, I'm at work ))
I wasnt really trying to make a case for how is was written, nor was I trying to give my personal opionion on how it was written/fits into this story. Just that "Lion-O did more, and so he deserves her" is gross. Basing an arguement around, .."but he did more" is imo, silly.
If she chose Lion-O over Tygra, then complaints like "...but Tygra helped her into the clericy, she should have chosen him" would be just as disturbing 0.o

Did it fail???? I can only recall one conversation between Pumyra and Cheetara, and that was at the begininng of COR. Are you talking about the OS? The Smurfette Principle seems to be a shoe in
Chique is offline   Reply With Quote