Community Rules Today's Posts Search

Thread: G.I. Joe News
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
ThundeRSS
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Originally posted by: Shin Densetsu @ HissTank.com

Quote:
Ever wanted to know how the core cast from some of IDW's titles would cooperate against a zombie collective? Look no further than IDW's Infestation! We have reviewed the 1st issue in this series. At the end of the issue is a preview for the GI Joe Infestation #1, which we go over too.

How did the 1st issue of Infestation turn out? Find out after the jump!
Ever wanted to know how the core cast from some of IDW's titles would cooperate against a zombie collective? Look no further than IDW's Infestation! We have reviewed the 1st issue in this series. At the end of the issue is a preview for the GI Joe Infestation #1, which we go over too.

Infestation #1

Credits
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning

Art by: David Messina
Inks by: Gaetano Carlucci
Colors by: ScarlettGothica

Prologue art by: Elena Casagrande

Art assist by: Claudia Balboni

Lettered by: Robbie Robbins

Editors: Chris Ryall & Tom Waltz

Assistant Editor: Bobby Curnow

Sneak Peak for GI Joe Infestation #1 Credits
Written by: Mike Raicht
Art by: Giovanni Timpano

Covers
Cover A art by: Gabriel Rodriguez
Cover B art by: John K. Snyder III, colors by Jason Wright
Incentive cover art by: Ashley Wood

Review
IDW has kicked off a new mini-series, which involves characters from multiple IDW series in a dimension spanning adventure. Adventures in what? Fighting zombies!

The 1st issue kicks off this zombie war with the team of Covert Vampiric Operations(CVO). CVO consists of Cross(team leader), Britt & Bools(vampire field agents), Benny The Smith(head of CVO Occult Scientific Research), and Overmars(head of CVO). It’s a covert team meant to protect humanity against supernatural dangers.

In the prologue(which does a good job of visually differenciating itself from what happens in present time) an interdimensional portal to Dimension Z(for Zombie) has opened up within an underground military base in Kirtland, New Mexico. The military sees massive potential in using Dimension Z as a whole new world in which it sets the rules. This, after killing off all the zombies in it of course.

However, things don’t work out as planned. Instead of humans going through the gate to Dimension Z, the zombies break through to Earth. Subsequently all hell breaks loose. This is where CVO steps in.

CVO is sent in to shut the interdimensional portal down and investigate. Considering that only 4 team members are sent in against an overwhelming zombie hoard, CVO does not have an easy task ahead of them.

CVO’s intervention inadvertently(and unintentionally) helps the zombies, which are part of a collective called the Undermind. Now seeing this take place, adds to the excitement of this issue. It comes off as an over the top read. It’s fast paced and unpredictable, I also found it to be humorous. I wouldn’t expect a robot to turn into a zombie but it did happen in this issue.

The end of issue #1 shows how the Infestation infests the other IDW series. This issue kicks the series off to a good start. It was a rather enjoyable read, I didn’t know what to expect because I haven’t read many zombie comics in the past, and didn’t know about CVO until now. The artwork takes a graphically bold approach, however I didn’t think the prologue art was as consistent. The idea of a covert team taking on zombies makes for potentially fun storylines. Speaking of a covert team….

GI Joe(or rather, Cobra) makes an appearance, in 1 of the previews at the end of the issue. We see Baroness and Eels aboard a sub off the California coast. They are sent to investigate Joes on a sailboat moving discreetly. Baroness sets the tone for what we can expect(she’s rather brutal), and someone already dies before the end of the preview. Definitely looking forward to GI Joe Infestation #1, which will be released on March 2nd. GI Joe Infestation #2 will be released on March 16th.

In conclusion, Infestation #1 is a recommended read. However you might want to read Zombies VS Robots : Adventure, and CVO Volume 1 prior to reading this issue, as they provide insight into what happened prior to the Infestation.
Original Source: HISS Tank Reviews IDW Infestation #1 - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe
ThundeRSS is offline   Reply With Quote