TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #45
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
I think we'll all have a better idea after Toy Fair in NY. So far I am pretty optimistic.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe071681 View Post
True, but what kind of backing did the other Gundam lines really have? If I recall correctly, which I may or may not, the other series that were produced had cartoons placed sporadically at different times so there really was no base. Plus the wing Gundams just looked cooler IMHO as opposed to ones that were based on an early 80's (?) Anime.
Some of the other ones had cartoons shown later in the night due to the more mature themes. I do agree that part of the failure was bad marketing decisions but overall, there was MASSIVE potential for Gundam in America that was not utilized, and it died a somber death at US retail. Having collected Gundam figures during that time(and somewhat now), there were some great releases on Bandai America's part, but again, bad marketing decisions.

Despite Wing looking more modernized and capturing the US audience, it was actually the most overrated series IMHO. The zenith for Gundam in the US, I think, was when Toonami started showing Endless Waltz. The 0079 series for some reason, was not allowed to be subtitled in the US unless it was the movie trilogy(the hell?).

There are plenty of reasons why Gundam failed in the US, and hopefully Bandai America has learned from that, and can apply what they learned with Thundercats.
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote