TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotrooper View Post
Yeah, but Ahsoka is 14 at the beginning of the show.
The producers pegged the kids as about 8 or 9. There is a difference.
Considering that both Ahsoka and Wilykit are underage, I don't see how age becomes the defining variable here. If anything, Ahsoka being a few years older and more physically developed would make her more prone to sexist portrayals. She has more to show off. And yet, she remains relatively unscathed.
Sexism isn't just relegated to the clothes a person wears either. It's just as much to do with how they're portrayed and the kinds of poses, activities, and personality they're given. Wilykit is fun-loving, uninterested in finding a boyfriend, helps out the ThunderCats when she can, scarfs down food just like her brother, and has fun pulling pranks on Snarf and whoever (again, just like her brother). It also says something that Wilykat doesn't talk down to her. Being orphans, they're pretty much each others' best friend, and they stick together through thick and thin. He never treats her like a burden because she's a girl. They're partners in crime!

Here's some more food for thought (and one of the things that really got me thinking about this whole issue. That, and my media class)

The Big Sexy Problem with Superheroines and Their 'Liberated Sexuality' - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews
Mako Crab is offline   Reply With Quote