TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums

View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #34
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotrooper View Post
I'm just saying, there are lots of people online who latch on to those moments, no matter how brief...
Granted, but that's a totally different issue. We're talking about sexist portrayals of the characters, not how fans latch onto them. If you want to argue that some fans obsess over a character, and ogle them one frame of animation at a time, then I'll happily agree. There are those people out there. But that's not what we're talking about.

Quote:
on the contrary, age has everything to do with it.
This is what I find frustrating. You make a statement and then offer no backing. Examples? Evidence? Anything? WHY does age have everything to do with it? Because a sexist portrayal of Wilykit would be pedophilia? If they were trying to present Wilykit in an over-sexualized way, you might have a point. But they don't.
If they were presenting Wilykit as helpless and inferior to her brother, that'd be a different kind of sexism that would exclude pedophilia. Not all sexism is about the characters being exploited as sex objects. But again, Wilykit is presented as competent, capable, and every bit the female counterpart to her brother. Her portrayal is not sexist.

Again, WHY is age the damning variable here? If Wilykit were in her 20s and she were being portrayed in a sexist manner, it would still be considered sexist and bad.

Quote:
alright everybody, let's agree to disagree. whatever, they are just cartoons after all.
No, I think it's even more important to examine the kinds of messages that the mass media are sending to young, highly impressionable children (the real target audience of this show). Just that in this particular case, I don't see any cause for alarm.

So. . . agree to disagree?
Mako Crab is offline   Reply With Quote