Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #176
Chique
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
In many ways yes. Because my argument is that how writers make fans FEEL is just as important as the events that occur within a piece of media. This can take numerous levels. Interviews being one, but also the thrust of a story being another. These are not real people, these events do not occur in a vacuum. Stories have goals, and purposes, and points ASIDE from the intentions of the individuals contained within the story.

My point is that even if, by using real life standards, Cheetara didn't lead Lion-o on, the writers lead the fans on. Though I think Cheetara's innocence is seriously debatable, had a girl done that with me, I would be VERY frustated and a bit betrayed. I would try to be less immature about it than Lion-o was, but it would probably ruin our friendship for at least a while.

Cheetara is not a real person, she has no motives. And I think by limiting the argument to that extent, you leave out large portions of what went wrong with this triangle and why so many fans are so angry about it. And saying it was from Lion-o's POV is an overstatement. The show is third person, we do not hear Lion-o's thoughts. He does get the most screen-time by far, but we have no more insight into his actions than we do any of the other characters.
Quote:
Though I think Cheetara's innocence is seriously debatable, had a girl done that with me, I would be VERY frustated and a bit betrayed.
Didn't we just talk about stereotypes? Personally, I don't think Lion-O is wrong to feel angry (he likes her and thought she liked him too), but it's not justified . It's the way the media likes to spin this trope. Boy likes girl, boy and girl have a good relationship but girls doesn't want to have more. Let's turn the girl into a villainous harlot, and talk about how dumb she is to chose the ass hole. No mind that the boy never asked her how she felt. Also Cheetara has been VERY good to Lion-O. He doesn't even acknowledges that, which basically means he only seen her as a love interest.

Ok, how does recognizing that Cheetara has expressed little to no interest in anything but Lion-O, affect my interpretation of this triangle? If you ask me, Cheetara had less to do with the "triangle" than Lion-O and Tygra. While their interest was clear, hers was not.
Anyways, that was a response to her treatment as a character. People were complaining that she did little else other than encourage Lion-O. It made her dull and flat. Nothing else about her character was ever really addressed.I like 12 year old Cheetara way more than I like 19 year old Cheetara. That's because in an effort to make her likable, the author gave her a more dynamic personality. I had more opportunity to fall for her in that one scene, then I did in the rest of her screen time the entire season.

It wouldnt be the first time the author lead his/her audience on. It's not that uncommon.

Last edited by Chique; 04-09-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Chique is offline   Reply With Quote