TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Joe Moore
Administrator
Nintendo DS Thundercats Video Game

UPDATE:
Thundercats DS Game Interview and Gameplay Video
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
It's nice to finally see some pictures from this. I would love to see them make a Wii game too. I'm not going to go out and get a DS just for one game. Especially for a game that doesn't actually sound like it'd be all that much fun, for me anyways. Only being able to play as Lion-O kind of sucks.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
I'm digging the art style for the game, kinda reminds me of Metal Slug.
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
namco bandai being involved makes me think there's a chance there could be a ps3 or 360 game in the future. Companies don't usually release a franchise game on a handheld without there being games for the consoles in the works as well. Still hoping for a fighting game....
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
namco bandai being involved makes me think there's a chance there could be a ps3 or 360 game in the future. Companies don't usually release a franchise game on a handheld without there being games for the consoles in the works as well. Still hoping for a fighting game....
Transformers Animated was a DS only release with no console versions.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
DecepticonSpike
My Cat Sits On My Head
I'm not really big on DS games. The ones I've really liked so far are Super Mario DS and Transformers animated. I'll give this one a try, but, I won't be expecting much.
DecepticonSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
So it's basically just like the free games on cartoon networks site but you willingly pay for it. Nice,lol! Not surprised it wasn't advertised, thundercats property has become a find it yourself kind of thing.
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Cat's Pajamas
Thunderian Commoner
I'll absolutely pick this up. Reminds me of the old X-Men arcade game, a perfect for the Thundercats video game.
Cat's Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
Transformers Animated was a DS only release with no console versions.
Maybe so, but Transformers had the "movie" games around the time Animated was on.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Maybe so, but Transformers had the "movie" games around the time Animated was on.
That had a highly successful movie property behind it. This does not. Activision holds massive press events just for their TF games. This was dumped in the corner of a demo room without so much of a mention at the very event this was being unveiled.

Also, having it on the DS as opposed to the 3DS shows that they don't see much of a market beyond it being instant bargain bin fodder. If they were planning on putting out a decent console game to coincide with this, then we likely would have heard something long ago. Or if a console game was/is in development, then there would be no need to simply dump this game into the public unceremoniously.

We would have also heard of this from a much larger site like IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc. Instead, I stumbled upon it while doing a Google search for something completely different on a site I have never heard of.

I'm a pretty optimistic fan here, but this just screams quick development. Something to put out simply because they already had the license. It's all very bare bones.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
I'll still give it a go. My DS doesn't get enough love.
Mako Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
I'll buy it!
englishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Grippen
Thunder Kitty
oh come one this really sucks its a kids game why not make a proper 3D action game for consoles and PC. I was actually wondering about a game in the last few weeks but not this
Grippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
This was dumped in the corner of a demo room without so much of a mention at the very event this was being unveiled.

Also, having it on the DS as opposed to the 3DS shows that they don't see much of a market beyond it being instant bargain bin fodder.
The fact that the game was just sitting in the corner of a demo room concerns me. Obviously all the parties involved spent money creating this game, why not give it some press?

I also thought the same thing about the game being on the DS (a gaming device on its way out) as opposed to the 3DS. Why would they put it on there when kids are trading up there DS's for the 3DS?

And I agree, it "looks" like something they just made to put out for the sake of putting something out.

*Edit: I read the article and the representatives reasoning for the game being released on the DS is so that parents don't have to buy their kids a 3DS just to play the new Thundercats game.

Last edited by AlexofThundera; 04-17-2012 at 04:15 PM..
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
No thanks. If it is a licensed product, and it isn't made by Rocksteady, and it is a non-3DS game, I am not interested. I didn't buy a 3DS at launch to get non-3DS games.
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
Joe Moore
Administrator
Thundercats DS Game Interview and Gameplay Video
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Balgus82
Quote:
That had a highly successful movie property behind it. This does not.

Yes it did. But I was explaining a very probable reason that there wasn't a TFA console game.

Quote:
Also, having it on the DS as opposed to the 3DS shows that they don't see much of a market beyond it being instant bargain bin fodder. If they were planning on putting out a decent console game to coincide with this, then we likely would have heard something long ago. Or if a console game was/is in development, then there would be no need to simply dump this game into the public unceremoniously.
I didn't mean to imply that it would be released to coincide with this game. I'm saying it's a possibility that one could be in development. This very game proves that games can be in the works without being formally announced.

Quote:
We would have also heard of this from a much larger site like IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc.
You mean like the Gametrailers interview you posted today?

Anyway the video footage looks pretty fun to me, if simple. But It doesn't look like it would be a very long game.

Last edited by Balgus82; 04-18-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
It looks like a fun time waster, and isn't that what video games are all about anyway?
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
See, I loves me some 2D hack n' slash platformers with old-school sprites, so this looks pretty damn good to me. And Lion-O used the word "bastard" in the game, so that's cool. :P
Mako Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Joe Moore
Administrator
Game Trailers was covering the Gamers Day event, and this was one of the games they posted a very short video for. It's not an in-depth interview or anything. Again, stumbled upon this while looking for something else completely. Wasn't featured on their main pages (which I visit daily), in their newest media feed, etc. they simply posted it and buried it.

I see the DS game as nothing but a cheap game to justify having the video game license. It's akin to shovelware, not something you go out of your way to announce. It's a low budget game made by a low budget studio. It's a pretty bland looking game to boot.

A console game, on the other hand, would require a much more significant budget simply due to logistics. A modern console game would also act as a tent pole for the property, which would lead to a greater "push" to advertise the in-development game to garner some market awareness as the costs to recoup would be much greater.

If there is something in development, it's so far off that it's not worth them mentioning now. Either way, as much as I hope they do a worthwhile console game, I don't see a DS game as any indication that a console game is forthcoming, unfortunately.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
DecepticonSpike
My Cat Sits On My Head
Quote:
I was hoping you could play as any of the cats, like how in the TMNT games you can play as any turtle.
DecepticonSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
shmashwitdaclub
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako Crab View Post
And Lion-O used the word "bastard" in the game, so that's cool. :P
I was wondering if anyone else caught that too... Who approved that dialogue to be in a kids game?
shmashwitdaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Balgus82
Games and TV shows are different beasts. They have different censors and different rating systems. I know for a fact that on the show they've wanted to do and show things they couldn't because it was more or less a kids show.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #24
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Hmm, I hope we get some of the minor characters from the cartoon (like Sauro, Kamai, the Duelist, the Conquedor) added as enemies.
BB Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
MegatronWolf
Overlord
rather have seen a full fledged console game instead of a half assed DS game that looks more like a cell phone game, and im sure the kids would too. Just because every other kid has a DS doesnt mean your game based on a kids TV show will sell. Oh and good luck going up against pokemon
MegatronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
It looks rather boring. It looks quite, uninteresting, even for a kids game. I'm rather disappointed that they didn't use all the things in the show that they could have to make this more successful, i mean, they could have ported the original TC game onto it, or made it go up to the current arc.
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowdheart View Post
or made it go up to the current arc.
How do you know that it doesn't? Did they say how far into the story it goes?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
How do you know that it doesn't? Did they say how far into the story it goes?
I just thought since it wasn't marketed well, and with the way almost no one knew about it, that it couldn't be too far into the story. If it is up to the current arc, then they should have promoted it, and made the gameplay (that we've seen) better.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #29
Burning Bright
Tyger, Tygra
I know the main focus has been on the game (since that's what really matters), but did anyone else notice the inconsistency in the cover illustration?

The marking in the middle of Cheetara's staff indicates it's the new one with nature powers. Tygra has the new whip he gained as of the end of "Native Son". However, Panthro's illustration doesn't feature his new mechanical arms.

Who was in charge of supplying character models for the cover art here?
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #30
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
That is odd.