TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > WilyKit's Corner - Thundercats Creative > Thundercats Customs Projects

Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Pics of my ThunderCats Classic Mumm-Ra figure I've modified to resemble the cartoon character more. I'm not a professional or anything (and certainly not up the level of some of the amazing customisers here) but I'm certainly happier with how he looks now than when I bought him.

- heated helm bandages to fold them down a bit so they're not all sticking out horizontal.
- bits of black paint for muscle and eye defintion (little messy on muscles cos I wanted that kind of rough look he was sometimes drawn with cos he's evil and undead...sorry ever-living). Bit of white in the eyes to make them look 'alive'. Yellow on helm crest and the fur of his shinpad things. Grey paint on helm snakes.
- flowing cloth bandages to replace the large more rigid rubbery bandages. Some of the cloth is fixed to his body in certain places with double sided tape to stay on (but can easily be taken off if I need to replace the bandages at some point)
- CAPE! The most obviously missing item from the store-bought figure and he just looks wrong without it. I've never done any craftwork with cloth materials before so this was all new to me. Black cloth for the inside, red for the outside and stuck together with that glue paper stuff you iron to melt and stick. I made it with a simple template I designed on computer and printed out. The 'ragged' bits were just cut randomly after the cape was complete. The ends are hooked onto his wrist spikes and the centre of the cape is stuck onto his back by using a large bit of double-sided tape. For my first attempt I think it looks pretty decent. I may try another one sometime but for now I think this is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1485Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1486Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1487Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1488
Carnivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Slight edit. Something was bugging me about how the cape looked. Then I realised. The top of it was too horizontally straight. Needed to not see the cape above the arms (as it's supposed to look like it's hanging down from the arms like bat wings) so I cut a large curved section off each side of the top. Now I think it looks far more accurate.

Here's some new pics showing the edit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape5.jpg
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1489Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape6.jpg
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1490Click image for larger version

Name:	mummracape8.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1491
Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
Nice job. The cape and bandages especially add some cool details.
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
mmartino
Thunder Kitty
I Love it. Captures the spirit of the cartoon. Great job! Now i want to do this to my mumra too.
mmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Thanks. Means a lot coming from someone who's certainly a better customiser than me. I bought a Snowman and Cringer to repaint as Snowmeow and realised Snowman can't sit on it and then I see in your Bengali hammer thread that you've already customised a Snowmeow and somehow changed the leg joints on Snowman to have him sit. I wouldn't even know where to begin with actually modifying the old figures to have new articulation.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
pallas
Thunder Kitty
Nice job, now that's a mumm-ra I would've loved to see on the shelves. So now he just needs a sword .
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
TIGER007
Thunder Kitty
GREAT JOB...how bout messin with the bandages a bit a dirty them up slightly..just a thought ...

Still GREAT!

I AM CANADIAN...
TIGER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
mmartino
Thunder Kitty
Carnivac dont give up on making that Snowmeow custom. You certainly got talent. To modify Snowman to sit on Snowmeaow/Cringer is easy. I actually took a Thundercats Tygra classics-cut it at the torso and pulled out the legs at the joint. Then I cut the vintage snowmans legs and destoryed his crouch I attached the tygra crouch to Snowmeow. I drilled a screw at the back to hold it. I will take close up pics on the weekend to show it in detail. I waited 30 years to make the figure right lol. I was thinking if getting a castle greyskull and painting it blue/white to make it look like snowmans castle. I never got around to doing it.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
mmartino
Thunder Kitty
Carnivac did you like the Bengali Hammer I made? I was hoping more people would leave comments but no ones said anything. I really wanted to make that since i was kid. I hope I can inspire other thunderfans to make it for themselves. You custom has inspired me to finish my mumra.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
Captain C83
Thunder Kitty
Wow. That is SO much better!
Captain C83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Thanks. I have to say the figure looks better in person. I think cameras exaggerate flaws. Even on real people. My own forehead can look ridiculously large in some photos. :P

At the moment because of how dramatic he looks with the cape and he's stood there in front of the original tomb, my custom Classic Mumm-Ra is the centrepiece of my collection currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartino View Post
Carnivac did you like the Bengali Hammer I made? I was hoping more people would leave comments but no ones said anything. I really wanted to make that since i was kid. I hope I can inspire other thunderfans to make it for themselves. You custom has inspired me to finish my mumra.
Yeah it looked cool. If I ever manage to get a Bengali figure I would like to attempt the same (I've seen the repro-hammers on eBay I would have a go at painting up rather than paint an original rare one). Bengali himself though is way out of my price range for now. And I feel honored if I've inspired anyone who's certainly more professional than me at customising like you are.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Captain C83
Thunder Kitty
I know. It seems sometimes cameras exist to make people look ugly XD I've had issues with them myself :P
Captain C83 is offline   Reply With Quote