TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #251
L08e16o
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofThundera View Post
Voltron was an original Anime retooled for America by World Events. The original is called Beast King GoLion.
It started in 81. Thanks.

Robotech is from The Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Last edited by L08e16o; 06-21-2012 at 04:34 PM..
L08e16o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #252
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioconvoy View Post
Ah.....you're a weeaboo. That explains a lot.
I'm afraid you don't understand what weeaboo means.
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #253
monothingie
Broken Beyond Repair
And in the last two episodes I thought I was watching Star Wars ESB. Everybody copies everyone else. Everyone rips each other off. So long as you derive enjoyment from it and it doesn't violates anybodies intellectual property then who cares.

Last edited by monothingie; 06-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Pudding Snacks
monothingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #254
Sining
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Ah.....you're a weeaboo. That explains a lot.

How about that Japanese show where the main character has a demon in him, and tries to control it while gaining more power? Oh, wait. I have to specify if I'm talking about Naruto or Inuyasha.

Or how about the one where the main character is awkward, naive, misunderstood, and gains great power throughout the series?

Wait, need to specify again; Am I talking about Dragonball Z, Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece?

Yeah..........ALL the BIG Anime copy off each other and are all the same. The background is just difference. One says Ki, the other says Chakra, and the other says Spiritual Pressure.
There are a lot of anime that are similar and there are quite a few anime that stand out as well. It's not like every single american cartoon is oh so unique. -_-. Even Avatar, one of the most successful original cartoons in the recent past wasn't that unique. It had a) the chosen One (the avatar) and tcats also has the Chosen One, or SW. It had a world at war, like the current tcats or star wars. Etc etc etc

I don't think you know as much about story-telling as you think you do
Sining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #255
Lioconvoy
Thunder Kitty
Sure I do. I understand it enough to know that everything uses "Tropes". The point I was getting at was his broad stroke of "all American cartoons are the same" doesn't fit. Especially comparing it to anime, WHICH DOES THE SAME THING.
Lioconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #256
kidnicky
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Your right, there is no comparison, simply because comparing "the quality" of art from a cartoon that is 27 years old to a modern day cartoon is ludicrous. Those people may simply prefer the old school art over the new school stuff.

To play devils advocate though, I can point you to a couple of Anime's from the 80's which have comparable if not better art then the 2012 Thundercats. Legend of Lemnear is the first one that comes to mind. Imagine an anime completely drawn by Todd McFarlane!

And it came out in 1987. So yes, it is all subjective.

Welcome to the boards btw.
That's an OAV though, I expect it to be more lavish than a weekly show. Regardless, it has no bearing on modern Tcats looking AMAZING while the old Tcats looks like it was drawn with a sharpie.

Thanks for the welcome, but really I 've been around this "neighborhood" for years (TFW).
kidnicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #257
Sining
Thunder Kitty
More importantly, that's just line-art. Not animation drawing -_- If the line-art isn't amazing, how else would they get you to buy their OAVs.

And Tcats was decently drawn...for its time...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #258
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sining View Post
The new Transformers movies were crap. I have no idea why giant talking robots apparently feel the need to PISS on people they don't like. Seriously, it became a movie about robots and toilet humor. It's still successful because a) it has giant robots and b) it has toilet humor, which is apparently what the moviegoing public of America wants from its movies now but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. Plus I'm not really sure it earned any new fans. If anything, new fans are being made from the tv series and less from the really really bad movies.
You have not been hanging around on TF boards like I did... from 2007 on, we have gotten a whole new batch of young fans who love beeping Bumblebee, "give-me-your-face" Optimus Prime who shoots prisoners in the head, and American Pie-style toilet humour. Yes, there are people who even liked Skids and Mudflap... Also, what it accomplished is making the general public aware of Transformers. Sadly, since then, Hasbro is forcibly making all other TF fiction conform to this "norm" - Bumblebee now cannot talk in Prime as well and will lose his voice in the War For Cybertron continuity too, and Optimus Prime seems destinied to remain a long-nose truck and Megatron a flying ... thing, it seems.

Quote:
And seriously, have you not watched japanese animation recently? We've kinda moved far away from the old days of sailormoon which is what you seem to be remembering. There are good and bad writers on BOTH sides of the ocean -_-
Naruto is new, isn't it? I watched like 5 episodes, most of which were about people talking endlessly about the other guy's fighting styles, commenting on their own, and one battle scene at the end of the show, where - for the most time - the opponents just stare at each other and talk/think. I haven't been this bored in ages.

Oh yeah, I am well aware there is good anime too, it's just... not the majority. And being a toy-line tie-in, there is a good chance Thundercats would be handed over to a studio like the ones who "graced us" with Transformers Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

IMHO, the best productions are where the writers are western, and the animators are eastern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevster View Post
First of all , You're either a LIAR or have a poor memory.

1) Thundercats debuted in 1984-85 and Batman :TAS debuted in 1990-91.
I am a liar, yes, because I was watching Batman TAS in 1990 when I was 12 years old? 12 years still counts as being a kid, but please enlighten me if you feel otherwise.

Quote:
why does that matter....because the show was subject to absurd FCC regulations that the shows had to have public service announcements or written to portray moral standards because they didn't want animated shows to be commercials for toys. Thus some of the more simplistic elements and "knowing is half the battle" lessons.
So did Batman TAS. I have the "bible", and he shows a lot of things they couldn't do. Heck, they had to shoe-horn Robin into most of the second season episodes just because the sponsors wanted it.
MOTU, Thundercats had the same restrictions, but it also had sometimes asinine writing. Did the executives demand that we have to keep listening to Snar whine for 10 minutes per episode? Or that everyone acts wooden and talks like they are robots? Seriously, the OS characters are so lacking in emotion. And don't think I hate old toons. I like New Adventures of Flash Gordon, and that is an ancient show, as old as me! With horrible amounts of stock footage. But man, they still made it quite mature at times. (Well, except Season 2...)

Quote:
Oh yeah and Paul Dini used to write for He-man....

Hows that stuff again about Batman?
He started there. Simon Furman, my favourite Transformers comic writer, and a guy I postively IDOLISE, has started his career writing crappy horror comics. And also, he has written "Brute Force".... Just watch Linkara's review. It's a horribly bad comic. so... my point is just because I like a writer - and I like Paul Dini - doesn't mean he cannot write bad stuff either.

Quote:
2) You're damn right Sci/Fi fantasy elements made the show cool. Why exactly did you have comics and merchandise ( shoes, comics, shirts of T_cats) through the years LONG BEFORE this crap reboot ever hit cartoon network?
And those sci-fi/fantasy elements are in the new show as well, need I point you at the awesome Techno-Sorcerer Mumm-Ra? So your point is... ?

Quote:
3) Your comparisons are flawed---
Daredevil suffered from ( heres something familiar to jelenic) poor writing and less than faithful translations of major characters ( Elektra and Bullseye ) and a unfounded public dislike for Ben Affleck...
Watchmen was rated R-- if you understood movies then you'd know that action movies don't do as well with a R rating because you restrict and essentially halve your audience.
- Bullseye was extremely entertaining is a really silly way. As for Elektra, she was quite faithful to the original, as in - she died in the movie just like the original did. I'll give you Ben Affleck though. Seriously, how does he still get roles?
- Ratings don't mean squat, if you understood kids, you'd know that.

Quote:
4) Oh You got me on Transformers....its trash as well...maybe its just a well loved, well known 80's cartoon property. ( ....oh wait....)
- Didn't I say just that? So, um, thanks for agreeing with me.

Quote:
I mean its not like Spider-man, Captain America , Iron Man, Thor, Batman begins or those other movies were TRYING to be faithful and ended up being successful, HUH? what was I thinking?
-Spiderman was soooo faithful. You weren't around to read the endless bitching about organic webshooters, power-rangers-mask Green Goblin, or the ommission of Gwen Stacy, weren't you? I did like the first movie, though... probably because I am not such deeply into the source material. But ask any "true fan" of the series...

Quote:
and the dominant Properties from that era He-man, T-cats, Transformers and Gi-Joe...two of which are fantasy/sci-fi

You're just arguing for arguments sake with NO real thought of anything of substance.
No, I am arguing because of a certain person who just wants to bash and bash the new series again without having any concrete opinion about WHY it sucks, has to tell in every post if his how the show should be cancelled. We get it, you don't like the show. Say it simply that you don't like it. Don't say it's crap. I don't like Transformers Prime... but it has great animation and average writing with some very talented voice actors. You won't find me starting threads on TF boards asking for its cancellation, most I do is to do one post with my thoughts for every episode, and move on. You should to the same. Constant anger is bad for your health.

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 06-22-2012 at 03:44 AM..
BB Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 AM   #259
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
The archetype of Superman , a high ranking scientist/ royalty sends his only alien son from a dying planet that crash lands on Earth. ( borrows from jesus and moses) I believe thats what Jelenic is referring. As does it borrow a little from Star Wars ( magic sword, young guy bestowed a mantle--Jedi---- and a Ghostly advisor Jaga=Obi wan )

These archetypes, as analyzed and researched by Joseph Campbell are successful and passed down though the ages . Even if you don't know why, on a gut level you respond to them because your mind recognizes them and connects with them.
Have you seen Eragon, the movie? It straight-out copies all of these 'archetypes' (read: cliches). So much, that when the hero's aunt and uncle are killed by the evil empire (TM) he cries the same words as Luke, just replace the names. Heck, same scene even with the burning hut and the bodies...

And there was a good reason no sequels were ever made, even though the Eragon books were a big success. Even little kids know Star Wars and recognize plot element borrowing when they see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
If they were just going to make the same show, why bring it back at all? The OS has like 130 epsidoes to enjoy. Also the more you limit your writers and artist the less they're able to flex their creativity, and the faster they'll burn out on the project.
Hear-hear. If these guys want pretty much exactly the same things from the new series as the old... there is the old series to watch.

Change can be good. I loved Generation 1 Transformers (well, the comics mostly), heroic and often over-analyzing Optimus Prime, logical Prowl, eminent grey Soundwave... Now TF Animated came along, where Optimus was now just one of many Primes, a young promising officier who ruined his career, Prowl was a patient cyber- ninja, and Soundwave was an emotionless machine given life by the Allspark, starting a revolution to free robots from human "slavery". And... I loved it. The characters were recognizable hommages to the old series characters, they all had some key elements of the old versions, and they were fresh re-imaginations of them. Heck, since Animated, Corey Burton is 'THE' Megatron voice for me, Frank Welker nostalgia or not.

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 06-22-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #260
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidnicky View Post
That's an OAV though, I expect it to be more lavish than a weekly show. Regardless, it has no bearing on modern Tcats looking AMAZING while the old Tcats looks like it was drawn with a sharpie.
What would have any bearing though? Nothing, because the quality of the animation from 27 years ago is not something you can justly compare to today's technology. Honestly I don't know why the comparison between the OS art Vs the NS art even came up.

Quote:
More importantly, that's just line-art. Not animation drawing -_- If the line-art isn't amazing, how else would they get you to buy their OAVs.
A good story perhaps?

Quote:
Agreed.
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #261
kidnicky
Thunder Kitty
Sorry. What I was going to say is that it was like the 20th most popular show of the decade after TMNT, Transformers, G.I.Joe, Ghostbusters, Gobots, MASK, COPS, Ewoks, droids, Pole Position, Robotech, Voltron, Dinosaucers, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, ALF, Shirt Tales, etc.

It's not some untouchable classic, it's something that was more popular as a tshirt in the 2000's than it ever was as a cartoon.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #262
Cat's Pajamas
Thunderian Commoner
My favorite thing is how some people think a given writer determines the arc of a character in a single episode... "John Johnson wrote that episode...he hates _______....so he killed him/her off." As if the entire season hasn't been thought through, and any writer could just do whatever they want in a given episode. One person might get credit for an episode, but they're working within a frame set by the group of writers.
Cat's Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #263
kidnicky
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

I did check it out on youtube. It's really well made but fairly tasteless with the fanservice.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #264
kidnicky
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat's Pajamas View Post
My favorite thing is how some people think a given writer determines the arc of a character in a single episode... "John Johnson wrote that episode...he hates _______....so he killed him/her off." As if the entire season hasn't been thought through, and any writer could just do whatever they want in a given episode. One person might get credit for an episode, but they're working within a frame set by the group of writers.
LOL. But won't "Jelenic be forever remembered as the man who tainted the Thundercats brand" or some nonsense?
I'll bet those guys read boards like these just to laugh their asses off at neckneards and sweatpants guys complaining about Tygra getting preferential treatment over Lion-O.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #265
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe View Post
If it was anime, I would try to get Record of Lodoss OAV writers to take a shot at it. If the Slayers people had a shot at it, we would get DBZ sound effects like power ups and beam blasts.

Picture Mumm-ra getting that power build up sound effect while chanting his transformation spell and it intensifies as he comes closer to completing it. Then massive energy release followed by a blast of wind to clear away all the dust and Mumm-ra stands there in his Ever-Living form.
... only to be defeated and never seen again after say, 13 episodes. Slayers never could give us good villains, and I don't even wanna touch the fact that the main character and her Dragon Breath spell that she can spam endlessly is overkill on such levels as if in D&D you could cast "Finger of Death" every round. Lieutenants and common mooks never, ever stand a chance against the heroes (as it is common in anime)... not even if they are in overwhelming numbers. I liked that in Thundercats, Sword of Omens or not, Lion-O and company could not stop a whole army on their own. More realistic that way.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #266
cmangund
Hardcore Lion-O + L/C Fan
Quote:
LOL. But won't "Jelenic be forever remembered as the man who tainted the Thundercats brand" or some nonsense?
I'll bet those guys read boards like these just to laugh their asses off at neckneards and sweatpants guys complaining about Tygra getting preferential treatment over Lion-O.
If you want to quote then quote properly:
"Jelenic and crew will be forever be remembered as the man and crew that tainted the TCATS brand."

Last edited by cmangund; 06-22-2012 at 10:05 AM..
cmangund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #267
kidnicky
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
... only to be defeated and never seen again after say, 13 episodes. Slayers never could give us good villains, and I don't even wanna touch the fact that the main character and her Dragon Breath spell that she can spam endlessly is overkill on such levels as if in D&D you could cast "Finger of Death" every round. Lieutenants and common mooks never, ever stand a chance against the heroes (as it is common in anime)... not even if they are in overwhelming numbers. I liked that in Thundercats, Sword of Omens or not, Lion-O and company could not stop a whole army on their own. More realistic that way.
To be fair though, most shows either side of the ocean are like this. The Ninja Turtles have nk problem wiping out 30 Foot Soldiers, the Jedi can easily destroy 15 "clankers" each, the Autobots destroy the Vehicons without breaking a sweat........
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #268
kidnicky
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangund View Post
"Jelenic and crew will be forever be remembered as the man and crew that tainted the TCATS brand."

Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #269
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. Giving Panthro "go go gadget" arms was not an intelligent update.

Again I have to respectfully disagree. While they may bare resemblance to their OS counterparts or look exactly the same, "what they can do" has changed dramatically, and believe it or not that plays a huge role in which characters the kids "want to be" when they watch the show or role play with their toys. Not to mention the NS Sword of Omens is nothing compared to the OS Sword of Omens.

And just to add on Panthro (not directed at anyone) he honestly bares no resemblance to the OS Panthro anymore. You know the bad ass nunchuku wielding dude? The NS Panthro has been reduced to comic relief. I don't mind it some of the time, but I do feel they turned an awesome character into a "not so awesome" character with Panthro. In all honesty I could say the same thing about Lion-O and Cheetara.
I dunno about that. In pretty much all of his apperances, Panthro kicked ass. Lizards keep flying when he runs into the fray, and he even went toe-to-toe with Mumm-Ra himself! Not to mention the way he defeated Grune, sacrificing his own hands.
So he's afraid of water and heights, so what. It gives him some character depth rather then being simply the badass in all things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given2u View Post
I'll put my to cents in here as well...

This show is show that has not been faithful to the TC fans. The characterization, writing, toy, marketing etch... I will answer the question right of the the bat-- "Should Thundercats be canceled". I think that the show should not be canceled. However, I will be canceled.
Whiskers! Be careful, then! Someone from CN will visit your home and cancel you!

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 06-22-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #270
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
I dunno about that. In pretty much all of his apperances, Panthro kicked ass. Lizards keep flying when he runs into the fray, and he even went toe-to-toe with Mumm-Ra himself! Not to mention the way he defeated Grune, sacrificing his own hands.
So he's afraid of water and heights, so what. It gives him some character depth rather then being simply the badass in all things.
NS Panthro was given a few spots and then reduced to comedic filler after the Berbil episode (where he got his go go gadget arms.) If you don't see that then you and I are obviously watching two different shows.

Writing in that he has some phobias is not character depth. Showing his history with Grune and how he was betrayed is. Sadly that is pretty much all we got for Panthro (which is at least more then we got for Cheetara).

In all honesty I don't need that huge amount of character depth here. Its a cartoon after all. It should be fun, not trying to be realistic or super high in intellect. Its "fantasy". People want everything to be so realistic now a days that it takes away from the creativity of it all. That's one of the reasons why I love the OS so much. Some of the stuff on there is so off the wall but that's what I want from a "fantasy". To be able to let go of reality and immerse myself in a world where all those things are possible, like cyborg ewoks who eat candy fruit.

Edit: I just wanted to add that there ARE animated series I go to for intellectual stimulation. Anime's like Darker then Black and Ghost in the Shell. Hell even Gundam Wing had a lot of political over tones. But I see Thundercats and cartoons like it on a different level. I go to one for some things and to the other for other things. Two different experiences. If that makes sense.

Last edited by AlexofThundera; 06-22-2012 at 11:25 AM..
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #271
L08e16o
New writers will be great.

Isn't this a rant forum?

Last edited by L08e16o; 06-22-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #272
L08e16o
Quote:
NS Panthro was given a few spots and then reduced to comedic filler after the Berbil episode (where he got his go go gadget arms.) If you don't see that then you and I are obviously watching two different shows.

Writing in that he has some phobias is not character depth. Showing his history with Grune and how he was betrayed is. Sadly that is pretty much all we got for Panthro (which is at least more then we got for Cheetara).

In all honesty I don't need that huge amount of character depth here. Its a cartoon after all. It should be fun, not trying to be realistic or super high in intellect. Its "fantasy". People want everything to be so realistic now a days that it takes away from the creativity of it all. That's one of the reasons why I love the OS so much. Some of the stuff on there is so off the wall but that's what I want from a "fantasy". To be able to let go of reality and immerse myself in a world where all those things are possible, like cyborg ewoks who eat candy fruit.

Edit: I just wanted to add that there ARE animated series I go to for intellectual stimulation. Anime's like Darker then Black and Ghost in the Shell. Hell even Gundam Wing had a lot of political over tones. But I see Thundercats and cartoons like it on a different level. I go to one for some things and to the other for other things. Two different experiences. If that makes sense.
I do not like alot of holes in stories and there are many.

Seeing how the seasons (episode 13 and 26) ended and lion-o dying is not fun to me.

There are more females that watch anime and cartoons today, It would be nice to have fleshed out cheetara. Cheetara in the OS was a lot better than this one. Instead of having lion-o share the spot light with tygra, why couldn't it be cheetara instead of another male.

Last edited by L08e16o; 06-22-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #273
Balgus82
Quote:

Again, those archetypes are TIMELESS, they WORK and is why T-cats was popular.
What archetypes are those? Granted Lion-O might fit one. Boy trapped in a mans body hero with a magic sword. But the rest?
Tygra was a guy, Panthro was another guy, Bengali, yet another guy, Cheetara the chick, and Pumyra the other chick. Their roles in the group weren't really any different from each other. "Older team member who fights with and sometimes gives advice to the hero" is the whole team.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #274
Sining
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Panthro was the real buttmonkey of the last few episodes. What with his sudden fear of heights, water, falling from buildings and being unable to save himself with his stretchy goodness....
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #275
Lioconvoy
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangund View Post

Unless you just LIKE the ThunderCats running around in their underwear...
Lioconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #276
Gambei
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

and BTW, Let me adress the stupid uninformed that think the Original was badly drawn...The Original was FAR better looking than this run of the mill anime crap. The opening theme animation DESTROYS this feeble show. The aesthetics and detail was far and above most modern shows.
The show itself was badly drawn, often off-model and the intro was the only good thing about it. The old intro was animated by two Japanese guys, Iko Kanada did the SFX and Masayuki did the characters. The style of animation in that intro is known as Kanada style of animation, and it is as Japanese as it gets, which means ANIME crap.

The characters were detailed because at that time the animators in Japan were fearless and were able to animate the most insane shit you could imagine. Akira was from that era. There were animated shows way better than Thundercats like Future Boy Conan and Marcos, Thundercats was an overrated piece of crap.

Kanada is dead and Masayuki is too busy working in Evangelion to care but some animators in Japan are as good as they were in their prime. The problem is that this is a American show and is really hard for the good Japanese animators to be interested in it, specially when Thundercats was never famous in Japan to begin with. The first episode of the X-men anime had amazing Visuals and Animation because guys like Sushio and his skilled friends are X-men fanboys, that's the only reason. You have detailed characters with really detailed self shadowing and on top of that they move across the screen easily.

Sushio can do what ever he want

Hidegutsu Ito is amazing

Yutapon can animate everything

You Yoshinari is insane

Toshiyuki Inoue is almost perfect as an animator

Hiroyuki Okiura is GOD

Eiji Nakada is a Mecha expert(which means he can draw really really complicated shit)

Takeshi Koike can move insane shit in the most awesome way possible

Hideki Kakita is a SFX expert( amazing explosions)

Norimitsu Suzuki can do everything

Tetsuya Nishio is very versatile as well

Shingo Abe rocks

Nozomu Abe is hardcore

Damn most of this guys are from Bones and can do shit like that old intro in regular episodes, Yoshimichi Kameda is a young animator and has an INSANE sense of timing that make his stuff super energetic and hardcore. Too bad they choose Studio 4 C to do the whole thing, specially when they never do Tv shows.
Gambei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #277
Balgus82
4C Has done a pretty good job with ThunderCats IMO. They're not perfect, and there's been inconsistencies in the animation, but it's still miles above almost every other Show made for American audiences (except maybe Avatar/Korra).

Though I agree Studio BONES would've been an awesome studio to get. Their work on Fullmetal Alchemist is nothing short of beautiful sometimes. Especially their fight scenes.

But calling all anime crap is just stupid. Just like any form of media there are good shows and bad shows. Also almost all the animation in America (including the original ThunderCats) is outsourced to Korea or Japan.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #278
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Sorry. What I was going to say is that it was like the 20th most popular show of the decade after TMNT, Transformers, G.I.Joe, Ghostbusters, Gobots, MASK, COPS, Ewoks, droids, Pole Position, Robotech, Voltron, Dinosaucers, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, ALF, Shirt Tales, etc.

It's not some untouchable classic, it's something that was more popular as a tshirt in the 2000's than it ever was as a cartoon.
Well, I would not say Dinosaucers or COPS was more popular then Thundercats - for starters, try to find those shows on DVD... I know, I did.

I did raise an eyebrow at 'Pole Position' and 'Shirt Tales', those sound like porn movie titles... Or maybe my mind is dirty. Can you tell me more about those two?

Quote:

Umm, no, there was his backstory with Dobo, which was one of my favourite episodes in the 'second season'. It's true he has taken a backseat, but frankly, the 13 episodes we got gave backstories to Tygra, the Kittens, and established Pumyra as well. I am happy with what we got.

Quote:
Say what you will about Jelenic, but the CREW is AWESOME. Dan Norton's character designs are great, and I dare say a vast improvement on the originals. I mean, c'mon....PANTS.

Unless you just LIKE the ThunderCats running around in their underwear...
Or without it. Frankly, I still have to shake my head in bewilderment about that first episode. They have the outlines of pants, but are otherwise totally naked. Invisible pants?

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 06-23-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Old 06-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #279
Balgus82
I've never even heard of Pole Position (and I remember a LOT of 80s cartoons).
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #280
Balgus82
Quote:

Or without it. Frankly, I still have to shake my head in bewilderment about that first episode. They have the outlines of pants, but are otherwise totally naked. Invisible pants?
Well Panthro and Cheetara wore belts, so I just rationalized it as them wearing flesh toned undies. But it really didn't make sense with Young Lion-O, Tygra or the Wilys.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #281
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
Well Panthro and Cheetara wore belts, so I just rationalized it as them wearing flesh toned undies. But it really didn't make sense with Young Lion-O, Tygra or the Wilys.
Oddly enough jaga said that they didn't need clothes on thundera yet he wore clothes (somewhat) and they all still wore boots
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #282
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post
Oddly enough jaga said that they didn't need clothes on thundera yet he wore clothes (somewhat) and they all still wore boots
And Claudus and Grune were shown to wear clothing on Thundera as well. Consistentcy wasn't a big thing I guess..
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #283
Balgus82
the OS is full of inconsistencies. could probably fill a book with them lol
Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #284
Joe Moore
Administrator
Cleaned up thread. There is absolutely no need for insults at all.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote