TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Thundercatsanimated.blogspot is reporting that Season 1 Book 2 will be out on June 5th.

Included will be the episodes:
1. Berbils
2. Sight Beyond Sight
3. The Forest of Magi Oar
4. Into the Astral Plane
5. Between Brothers
6. New Alliances
7. Trials of Lion-O (Part One)
8. Trials of Lion-O (Part Two)

So now we know why the book 2 dvd was delayed. They were waiting for more episodes.

STAFF EDIT:
We received a detailed description and box art shots.
Thundercats Season 1 Book 2 Announced

Last edited by Balgus82; 02-09-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Interesting...though confusing since I thought it had been confirmed that the seasons would only be thirteen episodes long...Either way I want a full season DVD set, and none of this book/volume BS.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
Interesting...though confusing since I thought it had been confirmed that the seasons would only be thirteen episodes long...Either way I want a full season DVD set, and none of this book/volume BS.
well the seasons are 13 episodes long....for Cartoon Network.
Warner Brothers, who is making the show and producing the DVDs consider season 1 to be 26 episodes.

CN split the season.

Either way you're not going to get a full season set until the whole season has aired.

Last edited by Balgus82; 02-09-2012 at 02:03 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Joe Moore
Administrator
Updated first post as we received a release with detailed info and box shots.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
Updated first post as we received a release with detailed info and box shots.
oh sorry. lol

Hadn't heard any official news in so long I got excited.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
oh sorry. lol

Hadn't heard any official news in so long I got excited.
No worries. Seeing your post caused me to check my email.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
well the seasons are 13 episodes long....for Cartoon Network.
Warner Brothers, who is making the show and producing the DVDs consider season 1 to be 26 episodes.

CN split the season.
Interesting...I can honestly say I've never heard of that happening before.

Quote:
Either way you're not going to get a full season set until the whole season has aired.
I know that, and while this might be irrational, I'm not so confident that they'll release a full season set.

What I still don't get is why they're doing eight episode sets. Assuming they keep to the format for book three, that leaves two episodes homeless. Possibly even making them exclusive to a full season one set, screwing over anybody who was buying the books...

Anyways, while I don't plan on getting this, or the first book, I do really like the cover art for this one. I'd be ok with them re-using it for the hopefully inevitable full season one dvd set.

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 02-09-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Balgus82
Quote:
Interesting...I can honestly say I've never heard of that happening before.

I know that, and while this might be irrational, I'm not so confident that they'll release a full season set.

What I still don't get is why they're doing eight episode sets. Assuming they keep to the format for book three, that leaves two episodes homeless. Possibly even making them exclusive to a full season one set, screwing over anybody who was buying the books...

Anyways, while I don't plan on getting this, or the first book, I do really like the cover art for this one. I'd be ok with them re-using it for the hopefully inevitable full season one dvd set.
If I'm not mistaken CN actually splits a few of their shows like that.

And I'd bet on book 3 having 10 episodes.

Anyway I understand on the waiting for a boxed set. I'll be doing that as well. Much easier to keep track of them when they're collected and they usually have better box art.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Anyway I understand on the waiting for a boxed set. I'll be doing that as well. Much easier to keep track of them when they're collected and they usually have better box art.
Exactly. I'm ok with the original Thundercats show being broken up into volumes. It's volumes are large enough that they could have easily just have named them four individual seasons (reminds me, I still need to buy s1v2...). Though I do feel that them re-releasing it in much smaller volumes is kind of pointless.

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 02-09-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
vantheman77
Thunder Kitty
I'm definitely getting this one. I wonder when they will air New Alliances and the Trials of Lion-O.
vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
I was just going to post this since I just saw it on another site. Yeah I agree, I'd rather wait till we get a bigger box set than this 8 episodes a piece releases.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
JASONKAT
Thunder Kitty
Funny how they throw in a crappy movie like "Ultra Violet Digital Copy", that is like 4 bucks at walmart, 3 bucks at big lots. lol. With that extra space why not throw in an older classic show from the 80s thindercats, maybe the 1st show. or whatever.
In other news.. I still havnt got me these books dvds. 1 & 2. They look pointlesss to grab, Do you realized, that both dvds can fit into 1 disc? But no this is their way of making money. lets trim them down to 6 shows per dvd, blah.
I am just gonna wait for that "blu-ray" version. which would b sweet!, imagin 25 shows on 1 blu ray, But i wont get my hopes up anytime soon, that full set wont come this year, 'maybe for Xmas 2012" other wise maybe spring 2013. And ya that cover art looks baddass!
JASONKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONKAT View Post
Funny how they throw in a crappy movie like "Ultra Violet Digital Copy", that is like 4 bucks at walmart, 3 bucks at big lots. lol. With that extra space why not throw in an older classic show from the 80s thindercats, maybe the 1st show. or whatever.
In other news.. I still havnt got me these books dvds. 1 & 2. They look pointlesss to grab, Do you realized, that both dvds can fit into 1 disc? But no this is their way of making money. lets trim them down to 6 shows per dvd, blah.
I am just gonna wait for that "blu-ray" version. which would b sweet!, imagin 25 shows on 1 blu ray, But i wont get my hopes up anytime soon, that full set wont come this year, 'maybe for Xmas 2012" other wise maybe spring 2013. And ya that cover art looks baddass!
It's not the Ultraviolet movie.
"Ultraviolet" is an authentication system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(system)

In other words it means you'll have a digital copy of the show to play on all your mobile devices.

Last edited by Balgus82; 02-09-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
JASONKAT
Thunder Kitty
@Balgus82
Oh i had no idea they were called Ultraviolet (dig/copy) disc. I only know these as "digital copy"disc(s). I guess thats kool then. being able to add on my itouch pad
Thanks for the heads up !
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
@Balgus82
Oh i had no idea they were called Ultraviolet (dig/copy) disc. I only know these as "digital copy"disc(s). I guess thats kool then. being able to add on my itouch pad
Thanks for the heads up !
With the Ultraviolet digital copies, there is no disc involved. You get a code for it. I haven't redeemed my HP7p2 one yet, so I'm not sure what the process entails. I'm just glad that they're extending the time-frame for activation.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
CommanderHazar
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

I saw something on the Shout Factory forums that might answer the questions about why they're splitting the season up like this. The explanation given there is that the large retailers refused to buy sets that were larger than two disks. From what B Ward said, the retailers were saying that they had trouble selling the larger sets and wanted them broken down into smaller releases that their customers could better afford.

Whether this holds true for Warner Bros, I don't know, but it might explain why they are dividing Thundercats into these smaller sets. If it does hold true, though, it's possible there may not be a full season set, for the same reasons mentioned above.

All we can do is wait and see what happens, unless someone can get some answers from WB.
CommanderHazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderHazar View Post
I saw something on the Shout Factory forums that might answer the questions about why they're splitting the season up like this. The explanation given there is that the large retailers refused to buy sets that were larger than two disks. From what B Ward said, the retailers were saying that they had trouble selling the larger sets and wanted them broken down into smaller releases that their customers could better afford.

Whether this holds true for Warner Bros, I don't know, but it might explain why they are dividing Thundercats into these smaller sets. If it does hold true, though, it's possible there may not be a full season set, for the same reasons mentioned above.

All we can do is wait and see what happens, unless someone can get some answers from WB.
I can understand that about the original show, but I don't think it should have any affect on the new one's DVD's. The os's dvd sets probably didn't sell so well because of the show itself. There's certainly a good amount of us T-cat fans out there, but I doubt there's enough of us to generate the sales a new show would. It also didn't help that they weren't really advertised well. I myself would have gotten them back when they were first released if I had known about them (I honestly didn't know about them till last year).

If they don't make a full season set, I hope that the books will still be available when it's evident that a full set won't be made. I would still prefer a full set, but if it comes down to either owning the books or not owning the show on DVD at all, I'll go with the books.

I just realized something. Isn't it a little odd that book 2 has the ultraviolet digital copy of it's episodes, when the first book didn't? I'm not against these digital copies, but it seems kind of pointless to have digital copies of episodes 9-16 without having one's of 1-8...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Balgus82
Splitting seasons into multiple DVD releases is pretty common for animated shows. They probably bank on impulse buys when Kids will see them in the isle and beg their parents for copies. Season Boxed sets are really more for adults who are (supposedly) more patient.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
JASONKAT
Thunder Kitty
@Balgus82
ha "more patient" i'm an adult and i aint gonna wait 4ever to get me a box set, psh, lol
I think it all boils down to "them" not having enough shows ready for "air time", they only had a few to see how that went, and if people would like them, other wise they would just cancel everything leaving us with only "book1" to watch. but since the shiw didnt get axed people want more, its doing well. so now we r stuck with a waiting line on when we will get to see more shows.
However 1 of their bigest mistakes right now, was to make lil dvds with only 7 or 8 shows. leaving sum dvds with either less or more shows. its kinda stupid if you ask me.
I think they should have put atleast 10 shows per dvd, and onces they got to say...30 or more, put those in a box set, or just put everything in a box set, because later when or if this set comes out. people will not buy them because they would already own those single dvd sets,
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
JASONKAT
Thunder Kitty
I guess you are right tho. adults can wait for that better package set, than wasting money on dvds, i guess that was meant for kids more than adults, Im 100% sure we will get our adult set sooner or later i wouldnt mind waiting 4 that1. maybe making it even better by including a lion-o (figure) disc holder or sumthing. this set would posb run you up a good 79$ maybe more. i wouldnt get that1 tho. maybe a die hard fan would but not me.
All i want is every show on a blu ray disc.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
Balgus82
People who want to wait for the box set will wait for the boxed set. There's really no reason not to. Between tivo and the internet and all that if you really want to watch the episodes you can.

The short volumes are for the kids. They did it with Ben 10, Avatar:tla, Young Justice, Phineas and Ferb, etc.

They put few episodes on them so they don't usually cost more than $10-15. Like I said, they're impulse buys. The more episodes they throw on the discs the more they'd cost which would defeat the point.

Last edited by Balgus82; 02-09-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
Balgus82
Quote:
I guess you are right tho. adults can wait for that better package set, than wasting money on dvds, i guess that was meant for kids more than adults, Im 100% sure we will get our adult set sooner or later i wouldnt mind waiting 4 that1. maybe making it even better by including a lion-o (figure) disc holder or sumthing. this set would posb run you up a good 79$ maybe more. i wouldnt get that1 tho. maybe a die hard fan would but not me.
All i want is every show on a blu ray disc.
I'm really, really hoping for some cool behind the scenes special features. Production artwork, Cast interviews, blooper reels, the whole nine yards.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #23
JASONKAT
Thunder Kitty
@Balgus82
Totally Agree. Not only do i want the shows, but there sure as hell better be a "special feature button" that shws more than just dumb trailers. I too would love bloopers, behind the set, artwork. cast commentary, deleted/extended maybe even alternative endings if any. all of this and more would b baddass under features, maybe eve 1 of those trivia games where it ask you questions about who said what in this , a b or c, , in what year did this take place, or watever.
Either way. i want this package to have all of the features any TC-die hard fan, would love to see.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #24
Balgus82
And honestly with Will Freidle and Matthew Mercer in the booth together there's bound to be some funny outtakes.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #25
CommanderHazar
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Splitting seasons into multiple DVD releases is pretty common for animated shows. They probably bank on impulse buys when Kids will see them in the isle and beg their parents for copies. Season Boxed sets are really more for adults who are (supposedly) more patient.
Exactly, and from what Mr. Ward at Shout was saying, the retailers are the driving force behind this. I don't know if it's limited to older shows, or if the newer shows are subject to it as well. I don't know if splitting it up will preclude a full season release or not.

Of course, with WB now selling through their own online store, it's possible that they could bundle the books themselves into a full season set through their own store and save money on such a release while still pleasing the retailers.

On the other hand, someone mentioned wanting the series on blu-ray. I wonder if a full season set might be a blu-ray exclusive, while the books would be format for DVD releases?
CommanderHazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #26
billfiddler
Thunder Kitty
*sigh* and still no announcements for the uk. I reaaally want to buy my kid these since he's devouring it on tv and the toys but no luck yet
billfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #27
Joe Moore
Administrator
I am one of the people waiting for a Blu-Ray release. The series is created in gorgeous 1080P, as seen by the clips that WB sends us. Then those are downscaled to 720P for broadcast (where Cartoon Network interlaces that signal to upscale to 1080i). I can't bring myself to downgrade the beautiful animation even further to 480P.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #28
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Why not friggin blu-ray release!!!!??
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
TIGER007
Thunder Kitty
GREeeeeat...another DVD I can't find in CANADA!!!...dang it!!
TIGER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #30
nomad16
Thundarian
any news on a full season set??
nomad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #31
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad16 View Post
any news on a full season set??
Nope, and assuming they actually do one, we probably won't get news of it till around the time the first season is done airing, or close to it.