TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
Thundercats Episode 4 - Song Of The Petalars Discussion

This airs tonite, use this as a pre-game countdown, during, and after the show discussion place!

Preview with pics and video here: Thundercats Episode 4 Preview

This week - Thundertank and PANTHRO!

Discuss!
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
77kustoms
Kustom Kreator
I am really liking the new take on the Cats. I can't wait for tonight!
77kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
JASONKAT
Thunder Kitty
Cant wait to see him and the tank in action!, this should b sweet.
JASONKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
LordLionO
Hear the Roar.
Oh, this was such a great episode!

....is what I see myself saying after watching!
LordLionO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
I guessin panthro is right at the end. Can't wait!
Lord Lion O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
JamesBenjamin
Thunder Kitty
What time does this air? I've been catching them online, but it'd be nice to see it on my TV instead...
JamesBenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
830 PM Eastern/Pacific.
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
xhavoc86
Thunder Kitty
Can't wait for tonight...it would be so much better if they had New Young Justice too though lol
xhavoc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Shenlon
Thunder Kitty
Locked in and ready , bring on the cats
Shenlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
DESTRO
Overlord Of Evil
Haha they did recap of his life - weird episode with a great ending.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTRO View Post
Haha they did recap of his life - weird episode with a great ending.
I miss him already

Anyone got the official spelling of his name? I keep saying Emrick but it might be wrong
Wilyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
I've watched alot of cartoons in my lifetime. that might have been one of the best cartoons I've ever seen as far as storylines go.
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Pinero
Thunder Kitty
Average episode, and very sad for the plant ppl on short lives..3.8/10
Pinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
FunderCat
Thunder Kitty
Beautiful episode. It's weird how I found myself completely feeling for the character of Elmerick. Seriously, I was pretty sad when he died. Kind of disappointed that Panthro only showed up at the end in the clip we saw a week before, though. Ruined the intended surprise. Nonetheless this was another amazing episode, I cannot wait to see what else lies in store.
FunderCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
xhavoc86
Thunder Kitty
ugh...i missed the last ten minutes damn neighbors
xhavoc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinero View Post
Average episode, and very sad for the plant ppl on short lives..3.8/10
3.8 Doesn't sound average
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
That was a great episode! Anybody who doesn't like that just has a narrow imagination. First time with the thundercats signal! Guessing thats what brings panthro. Also guessing the great wind they spoke of may have been when mum ra showed up in episode 2 with the wind whirling. Something for adults and kids...just awesome, if you disagree you know what to do!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
Shenlon
Thunder Kitty
Oh my goodness , this episode took you on a joyride of emotions. I was crying when emmerick died , then got goosebumps when Lion-O gave his speech and used the sword of omens , and then dang near had a fangasm when panthro appeared.

I almost feel like I need a cigarette and I do not even smoke !
Shenlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lion O View Post
That was a great episode! Anybody who doesn't like that just has a narrow imagination. First time with the thundercats signal! Guessing thats what brings panthro. Also guessing the great wind they spoke of may have been when mum ra showed up in episode 2 with the wind whirling. Something for adults and kids...just awesome, if you disagree you know what to do!
The only thing that bugged me is another thing like Tygra's new duds, was there wasn't enough build up to Elmrick's first age up. It was just there. The other cuts were fine, but the first one was rocky. I'm guessing the thundercrew is still learning on that one.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
People, people, people.... Two words.....22 minutes

Give em a break you can't get overwhelmed in details in 22 minutes! Just accept somethings without all the details
Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #21
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Well technically one number and one word.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #22
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

Give em a break you can't get overwhelmed in details in 22 minutes! Just accept somethings without all the details
I like it a lot! It just bugs me sometimes seeing something just happen. But I will agree sometimes people nitpick the heck out of this with only 4 episodes already.

Just gonna enjoy it as well as I can.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #23
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Well technically one number and one word but the point and the plea both remain valid
Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
DESTRO
Overlord Of Evil
Quote:

The animation and story telling have been awesome. It's 22 minutes of win. I hope people from the HUB are watching.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
I can't wait to go back and screencap a ton of different Petalars
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #26
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
I'm with you...have done some tv work and I can tell you it is incredibly hard to storyboard something great in 22 minutes with a message and adventure. Plus animate it. . I think they're doing a great job!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
good insiight with the signal and mmra thing. never made the connection. And yes I teared up..sue me!
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Beej B
Loves the new show!!!
Very moving episode. Anything BUT average, IMO. So far, I'd say it's easily the most emotionally-charged entry for me after episode 2. Really got a lump in my throat at the end. So sad, yet so beautifully done. Really touched my soul.

The very end was every bit as cool as expected, but dang - what a way to leave it hanging for another week! *shakes fist*

Is it next Friday yet?
Beej B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
I teared up too! It didn't help that my friend's dog passed away before this episode either. Now I'm clinging to my cat
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #30
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
The animation and story telling have been awesome. It's 22 minutes of win. I hope people from the HUB are watching.

I agree about hub....just wondering how much money they had to start with. WB brought some heavy hitters. I hope they start investing in cartoons again!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #31
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
They did a great job with the emotions...who doesn't wanna be the guy or girl who stands up with courage in the face of insurmountable odds! Great stuff.....I teared up too but don't tell anybody.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #32
Steevy Maximus
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I have to agree. As much as I like Renegades, or how I think Transformers Prime is okay, Thundercats is pretty much blowing away damn near every "serious" action cartoon out there right now, including the overrated Clone Wars and Young Justice.

For a 22 minute cartoon, this episode had more "heart" than entire SERIES ever hope to get. But they also aren't stretching some of this stuff out. Had this been produced by an entirely Japanese writing staff, you can bet the last two episodes would have been stretched out for half a dozen or more episodes to cover the same material.

I do feel it a bit unfortunate that the "big surprise" at the end was basically spoiled so heavily for the sake of the fans and ratings. Though it probably snagged more people into watching an otherwise great episode in doing so

This episode also reinforces my entirely unsubstantiated belief the production crew and series artists "stole" some talent from Studio Ghibli. The Petalars feel like something you'd see in one of their films.
Steevy Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Beej B
Loves the new show!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus View Post
This episode also reinforces my entirely unsubstantiated belief the production crew and series artists "stole" some talent from Studio Ghibli. The Petalars feel like something you'd see in one of their films.
Absolutely. Even seeing some of the little ones riding on Snarf made me think of Catbus, lol.
Beej B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #34
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus View Post
I have to agree. As much as I like Renegades, or how I think Transformers Prime is okay, Thundercats is pretty much blowing away damn near every "serious" action cartoon out there right now, including the overrated Clone Wars and Young Justice.

For a 22 minute cartoon, this episode had more "heart" than entire SERIES ever hope to get. But they also aren't stretching some of this stuff out. Had this been produced by an entirely Japanese writing staff, you can bet the last two episodes would have been stretched out for half a dozen or more episodes to cover the same material.

I do feel it a bit unfortunate that the "big surprise" at the end was basically spoiled so heavily for the sake of the fans and ratings. Though it probably snagged more people into watching an otherwise great episode in doing so

Alright, I have to agree. Watching all of those I do feel like this one I enjoy the most which is probably why I'm the most critical of it. I like TF: Prime but it gets too boring a lot of the time and even though Renegades is the first time I've been interested in 'Joes it still doesn't hook me in like TC. Mmh.

I think YJ gets it's fanfare just because of a huge new fanbase that can't wait for new episodes...like...at all

But yeah I'm gonna agree with you on that.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #35
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
Great episode

Totally trippy

I am confused as to why They didn't recognize Panthro right away though....
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #36
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
Great episode i was kinda annoyed at the way the ending went down but that doesn't stop me giving this episode 9/10

Emotionally charged storyline, it was another learning episode for Lion-O too.
GrimlocksPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #37
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lody View Post
Great episode

Totally trippy

I am confused as to why They didn't recognize Panthro right away though....
Probably because they thought he was dead and didn't wanna assume Panthro at first?

Also, his name is Emrick! wasn't sure if I was right but I guess I was haha
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #38
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
It was dark...I believe they are communicating they couldn't see him between the smoke and the night.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #39
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
It was dark...I believe they are communicating they couldn't see him between the smoke and the night.
They didn't do it well enough as the clear close up on his face made this confusing.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #40
Pinero
Thunder Kitty
YES I HAD A DEEP FEELING pANTHRO DEBUT WAS GOING TO BE AT THE END, NOT A BIT SURPRISE .. NEXT WEEK IS GOING TO BE SO DOPE BUT DAMN NEXT WEEK, THATS ALONG TIME LOL.. IF THEY DO THIS EVERY WEEK AND ITS 26 EP A SEASON, THIS IS GOING TO LAST FOR A VERY LONG TIME
Pinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #41
Steevy Maximus
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlocksPS View Post
Emotionally charged storyline, it was another learning episode for Lion-O too.
Which I don't think is a bad thing. All too often, these sort of series start to focus on these big, grand storylines, or how to push a new toy, they forget that is the CHARACTERS that drew us to these shows to begin with. One of the bigger complaints many had about the 2002 He-Man cartoon was that He-Man (the title character) became a "background" player in favor of pushing more and more characters and driving those big, expansive, story arcs. Besides, they get that key development done early, they can focus on the grand plotlines later and likely do them better.

Want to know what is really sad? In my opinion, Lion-O has show more, LOGICAL, character development in these 4 episodes than the title character of Inuyasha (a popular anime series) did after 150!
Steevy Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #42
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
They didn't do it well enough as the clear close up on his face made this confusing.
When they asked he was completely in shadow. You didn't see his face until after they asked who he was.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #43
Icespark
Thunder Kitty
This episode is what I refer to as an emotional roller-coaster. That was an incredible episode.

A message to the writers; don't toy with my emotions like that! Making me feel excited, sad, thrilled; I can't keep up! It's just not fair! Joking aside, in all seriousness, please, keep up the great work!

On the whole, this was a heartfelt, tragic, triumphant, bittersweet, journey. The Petalars and their journey will not be easily forgotten.

Lion-O is quickly stepping into his role as king.

Cheetara and Tygra were fantastic.

The twins and Snarf are adorable.

The new lizards were rather creepy, and very well-designed. Slythe is ruthless, exactly as he should be.

Finally, Panthro and the Thundertank were absolutely awesome. More, please!

One a final note, the animation, particularly with the Petulars floating, and the fire embers, was beautifully drawn.

I think the level of quality for the series has been established, and I think this series is going to be incredible in the long run!

I cannot wait until next week!

Last edited by Icespark; 08-13-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Icespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #44
Joe Moore
Administrator
Review:
http://www.thundercats.ws/news/thund...rs-review-225/
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #45
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Very cool to tap the sentiment of all of us older thundercats fans by exploring lion os regret over his childhood being gone
Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #46
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Very cool to tap the sentiment of all of us older thundercats fans by exploring lion os regret over his childhood being gone
Definitely
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #47
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
For those who talk of fillers and and disappointment (and I mean no offense here simply curious) what cartoon to you hold up as the gold standard of animation and storytelling? Please respond...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #48
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
When they asked he was completely in shadow. You didn't see his face until after they asked who he was.
Yep and he didn't move the whole time. Like i said it was a minor complaint and i wasn't the only one who felt this way. It shouldn't overshadow what an excellent episode that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus
Which I don't think is a bad thing. All too often, these sort of series start to focus on these big, grand storylines, or how to push a new toy, they forget that is the CHARACTERS that drew us to these shows to begin with. One of the bigger complaints many had about the 2002 He-Man cartoon was that He-Man (the title character) became a "background" player in favor of pushing more and more characters and driving those big, expansive, story arcs. Besides, they get that key development done early, they can focus on the grand plotlines later and likely do them better.

Want to know what is really sad? In my opinion, Lion-O has show more, LOGICAL, character development in these 4 episodes than the title character of Inuyasha (a popular anime series) did after 150!
Not a bad thing at all. I like character development. I am glad the writers are taking the time to do it right

Quote:
Oh definitely, i totally felt that way during this ep!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #49
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
For those who talk of fillers and and disappointment (and I mean no offense here simply curious) what cartoon to you hold up as the gold standard of animation and storytelling? Please respond...
I'm not sure I have one, but good filler is better than bad filler imo. If this is to just be filler, its a filler episode I enjoy having.

If I can think of a good answer to that question though I'll put it here
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #50
Lord Lion O
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Yep and he didn't move the whole time. Like i said it was a minor complaint and i wasn't the only one who felt this way. It shouldn't overshadow what an excellent episode that was.

Not a bad thing at all. I like character development. I am glad the writers are taking the time to do it right

Oh definitely, i totally felt that way during this ep!
I tell my son that all the time!