TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
DESTRO
Overlord Of Evil
Coverage in now starting to roll in from NYC Toy Fair 2011. ThunderCats Images and Animation news is about to explode onto the web. Stay tuned on our frot page for breaking news all day from Toy Fair 2011 NYC Bandai Booth.

ThunderCats Lion-O Carded 8 Inch Images
Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Oh, sh!t, I'm sold!!!! The 6" figures I can totally live with, even if the cartoon sucks. I just want some T-Cats to fit with all my DCUC, ML, etc and these are not bad at all.

Last edited by JohnnyAngel77; 02-13-2011 at 01:16 PM..
JohnnyAngel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
marv
Thunder Kitty
These classic figures I am sold on already. The new ones might be a hit and miss but I need to think about this one some more.
marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Yeah, the classics are pure win. I dig the others though too. Its not a bad update and the fact they are 6" is really nice.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Super_Megatron
Administrator
Those 8 inch ThunderCats Classics figures look fantastic, I'm sold.

April 14th, 2013 @ the Delta Meadowvale Hotel in Mississauga, ON
Super_Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
ludovicotek
Thunder Kitty
^ YES! Me too. Lion-O and Tygra are already bought as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to see more.
ludovicotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Pink Panthro
Your costume, is SO tacky
that sword is like perfect. EXACTLY what i was looking for! GUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH
Pink Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
crackus
Thunder Puss
The classics are awesome!! And with the 4inch having mulitple articulation as well!! Sooo cooool!!!
crackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
MegaPrime33
Thunder Kitty
Awesome. Just awesome.
MegaPrime33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
I was on the fence on how to collect this, but I think I'm gonna roll with the 4 inch modern. They have awesome articulation, show a little muscle, and the deluxe offerings add some cool stuff. I don't mind the modern versions, they are close enough to the classic vibe stylistically for me.

Classics is PURE WIN tho. Just dunno if I can take up that much real estate in the office for a full line.

6 inch modern is surprisingly good too. Im in fan boy mode right now, so it all looks good. Completely awesome day, thanks to BanDai for giving us the tour.

If you are reading this, sign in/up and comment. What you guys say is being listened to and will affect the course of this line!
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
MegaPrime33
Thunder Kitty
I probably should have looked at everything first before just commenting on how awesome everything looks. I think the classics look amazing. They do what I think MOTUC does, which is to capture the classic look with a modern twist. Great job I must say.

THe modern line, I'm not as big of a fan, but the quality definitely shows here. To me this figures show more muscle, like Tony said, and not just scrawny figures like Joes and SW. They have great detail, great articulation, and are good homages to the original. The tank definitely shows promise, but I'll hold judgment until I can see what it can do. The tower on the other hand I don't like at all. It reminds me of LOTR with Sauron's eye, and the head looks more like a snake than cat.

Overall I love the fact that this franchise is getting so much attention and I welcome anything new with it. The new characters sound interesting and I think the show will be really good. I wish to have seen more in the classics line, but I guess I have to wait to, what, SDCC probably.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Thunder
Thunder Kitty
Im totally sold on the Claasics!!
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
Did anyone else see on the package for Lion-O:

Snap tag with your phone for exclusive video?
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
Also-why only Lion-o and Tyga for the Classics? Surely they are doing more...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
r3v3n63
samoflange
Don't know if anyone noticed Grune hanging out in the back in one of the pics?
r3v3n63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
tas262
Thunder Kitty
Just beautiful ! The classics are bought instantly. The 4 inch look great for battling with my son, the thunder lynx system sounds like something he'd love. The 6 inch, I'll probably keep as display pieces. The role play toys will be one for me one for him I think
tas262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lody View Post
Also-why only Lion-o and Tyga for the Classics? Surely they are doing more...
I think the Classics line is just thrown in there for all of us 80's fanboys who grew up watching it. Modern is their main focus now. I can only imagine how far the Classics line will go if the first wave of Lion-O and Tygra sell well, though.

I won't be getting the 4" figures as I'm getting away from everything 4" (goodbye Joes) but the 6" is awesome. I was worried about the Classics not fitting in with all my other 6" stuff so at least we get the 6" modern line to make up for it.

I dig that Panthro really looks the part of the muscle more so now too.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
crackus
Thunder Puss
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3n63 View Post
Don't know if anyone noticed Grune hanging out in the back in one of the pics?
yeah! where's Grune?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
crackus
Thunder Puss
scratch that.. found him!!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
DESTRO
Overlord Of Evil
I'm sold on collecting the new line, just not sure exactly what I am going to buy, except for the 8 inch Lion-O.... I'm getting that for sure.

Second round of images coming soon showing WilyKit and WilyKat via Card Back in clear High-Res!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #21
WilyKitKat
Thunder Kitty
Ever since Comcast put the orignal series On Demand, my kids and I have had a series we all love. They are excited as I am looking at all these awesome toys coming our way! My son is gonna love the Sword of omens for sure!
WilyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
To be honest, I'm not feeling the 6 inch figures. Mumm-Ra's proportions are weird. It does look like he's got his own version of the sword and claw.

That said, the classics 8 inch continues to knock my socks off. There is mid-torso articulation. Hopefully this line will take off.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
That said, the classics 8 inch continues to knock my socks off. There is mid-torso articulation. Hopefully this line will take off.
Yeah, I just wish it was an ab crunch poa instead. Get better range of motion, imo, as long as there is a waste joint too. But, I don't really care because they are beautiful.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Razorclaw
Thunder Kitty
These are some great items coming out right now.
Razorclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Transformed
Thunder Kitty
Wow! These look great. I think the only thing I don’t care too much for are the oversized hands on a few characters.

I especially like Mumm-ra—is he the only one who didn’t change?
Transformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #26
Grune the Destroyer
Thunder Kitty
Everything looks great.

I'm getting tired of going into every thread here and saying as much, but I struggle to remember when I've been this impressed with a relaunch of an older franchise like this. And Bandai of all people!!

They just seem to be doing it all right (Mattel and your dreadful handling of MOTU Classics, please take note).

I can't see the Classics not being a success - fans/collectors will lap them up, I think casual buyers will pick them up when spotted (because they really are so faithful to the original) and I think even kids might get them just because of the cool factor.

As for the new stuff - I like the look of that too. If the cartoon is good, count me in for them as well. I'm a sucker for the T-Cats.
Grune the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #27
Snarfer
Thunder Kitty
I really like the Mumm-Ra Mummy. I think he could even fit in with the Classics line if they were to make one which was scaled properly.

As far as the rest goes I like Tygra and that "Pokemon" Snarf, but the others will have to grow on me.
Snarfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
Joe Moore
Administrator
The classics are an instant buy from me. The 4" 2011 figures, probably going to skip. The 6" 2011 figures, however, look pretty nice.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grune the Destroyer View Post
I'm getting tired of going into every thread here and saying as much, but I struggle to remember when I've been this impressed with a relaunch of an older franchise like this. And Bandai of all people!!

I'm a sucker for the T-Cats.
Completely agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
The classics are an instant buy from me. The 4" 2011 figures, probably going to skip. The 6" 2011 figures, however, look pretty nice.
The Classics are complete crack, I want them all right now. I'm sold on the 6" figures too (I know I've already said that a few times). To have TC be able to mix in with other 6" lines is effing great.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #30
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
God DAMMMMMNNNNN those 6" figures look great! I am impressed Bandai America, I am impressed!
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #31
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Classic Lion-O looks great. Will definitely be getting him. Might also get the Sword of Omens, but I'll wait to see what it looks like in-person to decide.

It's a great year to be a Thundercats fan

Edit: Been looking at some more of the pictures, and thinking about all the different things I'll be collecting this year. Honestly might end-up skipping Classic Lion-O, and sticking mostly to just Panthro figs (he is my favorite after all).

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 02-15-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
Ratar-O
Dirty Conniving Rat
I must have classics Lion-O! That is the way he is meant to look. From what I can tell I don't see a single flaw in the design.
Ratar-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #33
Icespark
Thunder Kitty
So far, I'm both very surprised, and very impressed with Bandai. The new series figures look to be exactly what I want in a figure; accurate to the character, with plenty of articulation.

It's nice to see just how much they have shown too! Bandai seems to be heavily pushing the line as a flagship series! I certainly didn't expect to see a character like Grune pop up so quickly!

I'm also rather impressed at the new designs. They're all instantly recognizable, which is exactly how they should be.

I'm also extremely impressed that the line will be supporting play-sets. I don't recall seeing any play-sets of any kind (not counting legos) at the toy-stores for years now. I can't wait to see Cat's Lair! (If they do make one, I didn't see a listing.

The Classics line is, of course, a must-buy. Hopefully, it will be successful enough to ensure the production of all the characters. I highly hope for Bengali, Pumrya, and Lynx-O.

All in all, I'm very excited; Thundercats has always been one of my favorite series, and it looks like it's getting the quality treatment it deserves!
Icespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #34
Jack-Pumpkinhead
Thunderan Thespian
So far I am very pleased with the designs on everything. The toys look awesome, and I can't wait to see them in person. One of my personal surprises was finally seeing Snarf. I'm glad he's in the show and that he looks different, but I can't quite decide how to put it.
Ah, here we go; you can tell there was some influence from Pokemon there, but it's still recognizably Snarf. I like it.
Jack-Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #35
Deefuzz
Thunder Kitty
That Thundertank IS pretty nice. But I will have to wait to see it in person before I decide if I want to buy it or not.

2011 Mumm-Ra is looking OK, something about his jaw makes him look more like a big dumb oaf.

I am completely sold on the Classics line though. Fantastic!
Deefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
MegaPrime33
Thunder Kitty
I agree with the fuzz-meister on Mumm-Ra. His face kind of looks like a bulldog. Is that Bandai's way of replacing ma-mutt?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #37
TabethaB
Thunder Kitty
I am so upset about this line, the classics... ok.. maybe they might uphold the original integrity, but the "army" clad anime freaks....? Come on! AND SNARF?!!! Are you serious?!!! he is not a damn Pokemon!

I just have to say, I will not be looking for these figures to add to my collection, and a HUGE thank you to the genius behind these horrid figures because now you just made my original collection worth so much more.
TabethaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #38
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabethaB View Post
I am so upset about this line, the classics... ok.. maybe they might uphold the original integrity, but the "army" clad anime freaks....? Come on! AND SNARF?!!! Are you serious?!!! he is not a damn Pokemon!

I just have to say, I will not be looking for these figures to add to my collection, and a HUGE thank you to the genius behind these horrid figures because now you just made my original collection worth so much more.
I totally agree! The classics are awesome. The Thundertank is pretty cool. But I can't even put into words what a steaming pile of crap the rest of it is.

It's The New Adventures Of He-Man all over again. That Tower Of Omens looks more like it should be Optikk's hideout.

Most of the vehicles are as godawful as the vehicles from the 2002 MOTU line.

Last edited by Steelgrave; 02-16-2011 at 06:41 AM..
Steelgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #39
Razorclaw
Thunder Kitty
These are some very nice figures!!!

When are they hitting?
Razorclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #40
Zambot
Silverhawks classics?
I want to see the modern stuff in person, but the classics are beautiful! All in all it's a nice effort and I'm excited!
Zambot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #41
Zambot
Silverhawks classics?
My only small gripe, I don't think the classics need to be 8" tall. Seems overkill, but I'm sure a lot folks like big homages. I think the 6" size is fine for classics. I can just imagine if Lion-O classics is 8", how big Mumm-Ra classic will be!? That line will take up some serious shelf space.
Zambot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #42
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorclaw View Post
These are some very nice figures!!!

When are they hitting?
Fall this year.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #43
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambot View Post
My only small gripe, I don't think the classics need to be 8" tall. Seems overkill, but I'm sure a lot folks like big homages. I think the 6" size is fine for classics. I can just imagine if Lion-O classics is 8", how big Mumm-Ra classic will be!? That line will take up some serious shelf space.
Just thought about that.......

THAT WOULD BE AN AWESOME MUMRA!
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #44
crackus
Thunder Puss
It would be a lot cooler if Mumm-Ra Mummy comes with a sarcophagus
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #45
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
Instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd resurect this one as I KNEW I had seen this but that it never came to fruition.

Does anyone remember that the Tower of Omens was supposed to turn into a Thundertank according to the depicted artwork on the box?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #46
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
No one???
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #47
Cat's Pajamas
Thunderian Commoner
It was supposed to turn into some kind of vehicle, but it was scrapped before production began. It looked like it would have been a ridiculous vehicle, so it's probably for the best.
Cat's Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #48
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I don't think it was ever meant to be the Thundertank, just a weird gimmick that got cut from the design early on. If they had left that a part of it's design, I would probably have gotten it.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote