TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
So Mattel unveiled a crap load of new MOTUC for next year. What did Bandai reveal?
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
Thunderandreams
Thunder Kitty
Bandai was not there.
Mattel was, they decided later on to attend. I think because they saw who were attending. Val Staples and crew did a great job getting big names in MOTU history there and The brand manager of MOTUC is a fan too. That helps.
I dont know how big the Thundercon part was aside from the collections. The LionO voice actor was there.

Bandai could have send some stuff if they werent going to attend. Perhaps related to their current classics line.

But again, I dobt know if they were asked and/ or why they passed on it.
Thunderandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
So is Bandai planning on releasing anything else this year? Or are we going to have to wait until Feb to get Jully/Aug releases?

You know what Bandai's license of Thundercats keeps making me think of?

Last edited by Dr Kain; 10-03-2011 at 06:54 PM..
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Joe Moore
Administrator
Everything that is currently on toy shelves is all that is planned for 2011. Don't expect new toy reveals until the end of the year at the earliest. The best bet is Toy Fair in February though.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Lame!!! You would think they would want to release new stuff in time for Xmas. I guess Bandai just does not want to make money.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Joe Moore
Administrator
It has just as much to do with the retailers really. Some retailers were hesitant to give the line any decent shelf space. Some, like Target, still hasn't begun carrying them in stores. Not only that, this was an unproven toy line. Bandai didn't want to risk flooding the shelves with stuff, and then lose a heap of money on a toy line that could have potentially flopped. They needed to gauge the market and proceed from there.

It can take a year plus to design, test and manufacture toys. Even a rushed wave can take over 6 months to go from planning to production. Once they saw what the market could support, they knew what they could go ahead with. From my understanding, at SDCC, they told our site owner that since the initial toys sold so well, that it has given them a greater freedom for next years releases.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Bravestarr
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
It has just as much to do with the retailers really. Some retailers were hesitant to give the line any decent shelf space. Some, like Target, still hasn't begun carrying them in stores. Not only that, this was an unproven toy line. Bandai didn't want to risk flooding the shelves with stuff, and then lose a heap of money on a toy line that could have potentially flopped. They needed to gauge the market and proceed from there.

It can take a year plus to design, test and manufacture toys. Even a rushed wave can take over 6 months to go from planning to production. Once they saw what the market could support, they knew what they could go ahead with. From my understanding, at SDCC, they told our site owner that since the initial toys sold so well, that it has given them a greater freedom for next years releases.
That's not true. We have TC in our Targets.
Bravestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravestarr View Post
I'd love to see proof of that. Target clearly lists them as "Not sold in stores".
Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Fist Pounder
Thunder Kitty
I find it fascinating that this is still called an unproven toy line.

It is a re release people have wanted for years.

Take the 90s star wars revival.

Luke
Han
Darth
Ben
Storm Trooper

Vehicles
Millenium Falcon
X wing fighter
Tie Fighter
Land Speeder

Although thundercats has topped the amount of product availiable this year alone I hardly consider it unproven ground.

I dont think any re releases from the 80s should be considered unproven territory since there is a high demand for them.
Fist Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist Pounder View Post
I find it fascinating that this is still called an unproven toy line.

It is a re release people have wanted for years.

Take the 90s star wars revival.

Luke
Han
Darth
Ben
Storm Trooper

Vehicles
Millenium Falcon
X wing fighter
Tie Fighter
Land Speeder

Although thundercats has topped the amount of product availiable this year alone I hardly consider it unproven ground.

I dont think any re releases from the 80s should be considered unproven territory since there is a high demand for them.
How can anyone consider a toy line that hasn't been on toy shelves in 25 years a proven toy line? Thundercats is in no way comparable to Star Wars, which has movies, cartoons, comics, novels, etc. Thundercats was the very definition of a niche line that had a small collectors base and no presence in any market to modern kids, who would make up the majority of the target market.

Quote:
Sorry, but that is not the case at all. MOTU was a failure at retail in the early 2000's (for numerous reasons). Mattel absolutely refuses to give the new MOTU line a real retail release, as they know that it has no appeal to kids. G.I. Joe is floundering. Really, no other 80's line besides Transformers has done well at retail of late. Thundercats is selling well (though it's beginning to clog shelves a bit). The real test will be it's longevity.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
soundwave810
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravestarr View Post
Not here in the NY tri-state area. Ihad to go to TRU to get any toys.

Quote:
I'd love to see proof of that. Target clearly lists them as "Not sold in stores".
^Yes, this^
soundwave810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
si3ge
Thunder Kitty
heres the deal where i live.
Target: no TC toys at all
Walmart (2 locations): all toys EXCEPT 4" deluxe's
Toys R Us: ALL TOYS including 4" deluxe's

I love TrU for stocking the Deluxe figures (ive only see 1 grune in this town and i got it at TrU) and try to support them for their decision to carry the whole line.
in that video posted on the frontpage the guy says the TC toy line is flying off shelves. hopefully that means theyll expand to include all the characters i want to buy.
si3ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Joe Moore
Administrator
The good thing is that Bandai has been really satisfied with the toy sales. They have said in interviews that they are really planning on expanding the line next year.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
si3ge
Thunder Kitty
thats awesome news! also it gives me enough time to collect all of the current wave. i only pickup a few figures every paycheck to keep myself from going nuts and buying everything at once. i AM however getting quite close to completing my set of figures... then all i have left to get are the vehicles. i wish the roleplay stuff wasnt sized to fit a baby raccoon though.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
Fist Pounder
Thunder Kitty
I think masters of the universe could be very viable in a real marketplace setting.

I mean I really dont understand how mattel is making any money on the classics line.

20 dollars per figure is very high. However if a proper retail store where to alot a proper amount of space for the line it would thrive.

Perhaps slash the price in half to about ten dollars per figure. This would make collecting them a not so daunting task.

Also order more characters then just 50 different he man and skeletor action figures.

If collectors kids could find more than just he man and skeletor they would sell more.

I know they did the same with thundercats really stocked up on liono and mummy mummra and surprise surprise the excess is keeping the pegs warm while you have trouble locating Panthro or Cheetara.

Im just saying a little common sense could have saved the first re issue of masters of the universe and kept it viable into the future.

Just ask any collector and the most viable 80s lines are Transformers G.I. Joe Masters of the universe and thundercats
Fist Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
I think masters of the universe could be very viable in a real marketplace setting.

I mean I really dont understand how mattel is making any money on the classics line.

20 dollars per figure is very high. However if a proper retail store where to alot a proper amount of space for the line it would thrive.

Perhaps slash the price in half to about ten dollars per figure. This would make collecting them a not so daunting task.

Also order more characters then just 50 different he man and skeletor action figures.

If collectors kids could find more than just he man and skeletor they would sell more.

I know they did the same with thundercats really stocked up on liono and mummy mummra and surprise surprise the excess is keeping the pegs warm while you have trouble locating Panthro or Cheetara.

Im just saying a little common sense could have saved the first re issue of masters of the universe and kept it viable into the future.

Just ask any collector and the most viable 80s lines are Transformers G.I. Joe Masters of the universe and thundercats
They are more expensive because they are producing a relatively small amount of figures compared to a full retail release. MOTU has only been able to hold the interest of collectors and wasn't able to draw in the young crowd in 2002, so Mattel gave up even trying and went online only a few years later. But even then, they have a hard time getting people to buy into the subscription service for it (or any of their subscriptions really).

The swords and sandals/wizardry genre just isn't hot with the kids these days. Really, what MOTU needs the most is a similar property, toy line, movie, tv show or cartoon to do well. Something that shows Mattel or potential investors that a fully retail available line would be viable.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
McSoundwave
Thundercat Ho
Quote:

The swords and sandals/wizardry genre just isn't hot with the kids these days. Really, what MOTU needs the most is a similar property, toy line, movie, tv show or cartoon to do well. Something that shows Mattel or potential investors that a fully retail available line would be viable.
Real talk! I mean, that's the crux of it all my friends. It really is. In a nutshell, that is why Transformers is thriving right now. The success of those movies has exposed the franchise to a new era and ushered in legions of new collectors/fans. Not to mention renewed vigor in all the original, long-time fans of G1, etc. Without a legit cartoon series, a good, wildly popular movie (GI Joe ROC does not meet that criteria), or something else that brings these characters to life, there is nothing for today's children to identify these toys with. That's what fuels the desire to go out and buy these characters' likenesses, let's face it. MOTU is only appealing to the 80's generation; those that grew up watching that cartoon. A contemporary child, unless they have a parent who used to watch MOTU as a kid and exposes him/her to it, has no idea who the f He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Evil-lyn, etc are. Hence Mattel has to cater to the collector's guild.

Last edited by McSoundwave; 10-07-2011 at 08:35 AM..
McSoundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
si3ge
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

for the classics i think the 16.99 price point is very fair. i bought 1 lion-o to open and 1 to keep in box. the one i opened has fantastic articulation. that along with its size and really cool attachable clawsheild with dagger slot make it well worth the price IMO.
as far as availability... my local Wal-Mart's and TrU's all seem to be carrying a variety of figures. i tried to buy up what i thought would be rare to find FIRST so i could get all the popular/overstocked ones later. as i kept returning to look for more figures i found that everytime they restocked there was more and more variety. at first i saw no cheetara's at all but now everytime i go i see at LEAST 1 of her in stock. i now see many more wileykit/kat's in stock too.
i think youre right and at first they stocked up heavily with Lion-o's and Mumm-ra's but it seems in my town that as everyone started to sell the toys they restocked the section how it should be.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
krazycp
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by si3ge View Post
for the classics i think the 16.99 price point is very fair. i bought 1 lion-o to open and 1 to keep in box. the one i opened has fantastic articulation. that along with its size and really cool attachable clawsheild with dagger slot make it well worth the price IMO.
as far as availability... my local Wal-Mart's and TrU's all seem to be carrying a variety of figures. i tried to buy up what i thought would be rare to find FIRST so i could get all the popular/overstocked ones later. as i kept returning to look for more figures i found that everytime they restocked there was more and more variety. at first i saw no cheetara's at all but now everytime i go i see at LEAST 1 of her in stock. i now see many more wileykit/kat's in stock too.
i think youre right and at first they stocked up heavily with Lion-o's and Mumm-ra's but it seems in my town that as everyone started to sell the toys they restocked the section how it should be.
That's why you have to consider the case collation. Each case came with like a bunch of Lion-o's and Mum-Ra's and a few Tigras but only 1 Panthro, Cheetara, and the Wily's. So, if they want more Cheetaras, for example, they can only get 1 if they order an entire case.
krazycp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #20
si3ge
Thunder Kitty
sounds like they plan on lion-o being the most popular and rightly so. however they are packaged... that scheme seems to be working well for my local stores as they have a perfect variety of every character now.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #21
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
It has just as much to do with the retailers really. Some retailers were hesitant to give the line any decent shelf space.
Which is amazing since they have 60% of their shelves clogged with crappy wrestling figures that no one wants. Maybe tehy should stop carrying garbage and start carrying figures people will buy.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
ThundercatsRules
Thunder Kitty
cant argue with that one. I went to target and asked if they had it. they dont have it in store, but maybe online.
ThundercatsRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
king kahn
Thunder Kitty
gah i hope they A. release new toys soon and B all retailers organize their isles soon as well because every store I go to is just sad. all the isles are filled with junk or just look like they are.
king kahn is offline   Reply With Quote