TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #351
cmangund
Hardcore Lion-O + L/C Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenBill View Post
Well if going by my previously stated argument of her jumping in, she already jumped in on her feelings for Tygra when she was a kid, which technically happened before going everywhere with Lion-O. Even if she did spend all that screen time with Lion-O.

Look I don't like how it happened in the series either man, but right now I'm thinking the writers have some reason for doing what they did. I think people are really jumping the "bad writing" without knowing what may happen next that could possibly put a new view on everything for us later on. Maybe by the seasons end she ends up with Lion-O, who knows!?! Plus I gotta agree, even with the complaints I made about this episode before, I gotta give the series some leeway since it's still the first season, plus I keep coming back to it out of hope it will get better, and I still have some enjoyment when I watch.
Jumped in on her feelings for Tygra when she was little but did nothing about it for 8 or so years. Assuming in that 8 or so years she's "busy" then she should do something about it during one of those 12 Eps, as she "loves" Tygra so much, instead she's "busy harassing" Lion-O . Which is why in the end she will hookup with Jelenic. Heck she may even has feelings for Jelenic before she met Tygra and Lion-O. Her final jump will be into Jelenic's arms.

Last edited by cmangund; 04-11-2012 at 03:34 AM..
cmangund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #352
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chique View Post
That's not the point. This episode has nothing to do with the triangle. If fans want to talk about the triangle, then for goodness sake take it to the appropriate thread. Why don't you make a Love Triangle thread? All of this derailment is just messing with the integrity of the entire board. The discussion is suppose to be about episode 16.

That being said, sorry for adding to the clutter.
The problem that keeps occurring is very simple. Whenever people start talking about the episode, someone mentions a problem with the writing of the show, someone else argues with that person and says to give examples, and then the first person cites, among other things, the triangle, the second person then starts arguing why those examples aren't true. And the cycle continues.

So it's not willful derailing, it is actually discussing this episode, it's just a weird drift that keeps occurring because discussing the episode keeps sliding into talking about the show. It's actually kind of interesting to see it keep repeating itself.
KaleRylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #353
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowdheart View Post
I think it's a crow, but his current body looks more like a bat. I don't think it's been solved yet.....it'd be interesting though.
Ok, not following this. I don't remember seeing Mumm-ra as any flying creature in this episode, did I miss something? And my point is, I thought he was trapped as a crow against his will. In other words, he couldn't take his normal form even if he wanted to. I thought the astral plane was an exception because it was his soul and obviously his soul is his true self.

But then in this episode he's fine again and I don't remember any mention being made of how he fixed the curse (didn't Jaga do it to him?).

I'm not trying to say 'oh my god, bad writing!' this is an honest question, did I miss something? Although, if it was completely dropped, that's a pretty big plot-hole.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #354
DanaLynn
Thunder Kitty
Ok. I have to put my 2 cents in regarding Cheetara and Tygra. In episode 9, at the beginning when they were going to sleep outside in the rain, who did Cheetara cuddle up to to go to sleep? Tygra.
DanaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #355
Eclipse
Witch Doctor
I also seem to recall Lion-O looked particularly disgruntled at them.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #356
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
The biggest thing that bugged me in this episode was the end. The whole you have till sunrise to get back the sword and save your friends and then you’re going into purgatory. sunrise comes and they give him back his life anyway even though they never said they would, even if he succeeded. So regardless he was going to get back his soul and his life. That’s just establihung rules to break them…and that bad writing 101...

It would’ve made better sense to me if they would’ve wrote. that at the end the four trials were just a smokescreen. that he was always set up to fail them, the actual test was him willingly giving up his soul for the others….so in the end they gave him back his life for passing the unseen test…but that’s just me trying to fix things in my head.
nickanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #357
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickanu View Post
The biggest thing that bugged me in this episode was the end. The whole you have till sunrise to get back the sword and save your friends and then you’re going into purgatory. sunrise comes and they give him back his life anyway even though they never said they would, even if he succeeded. So regardless he was going to get back his soul and his life. That’s just establihung rules to break them…and that bad writing 101...

It would’ve made better sense to me if they would’ve wrote. that at the end the four trials were just a smokescreen. that he was always set up to fail them, the actual test was him willingly giving up his soul for the others….so in the end they gave him back his life for passing the unseen test…but that’s just me trying to fix things in my head.
Isn't that what Jaga said? That the trials tested not only his skills but his heart as well, and when he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to save his friends he passed.
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #358
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSapphire View Post
Isn't that what Jaga said? That the trials tested not only his skills but his heart as well, and when he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to save his friends he passed.
I agree with you, but I think what s/he? was getting at is that they made it too easy. It seems as if he could have just passed the four trials and not had to show he was willing to sacrifice himself, or he could be willing to sacrifice himself and fail all the trials and he would have one either way. It seems like a slightly easy trial for your life.

I think s/he's saying is they should have clearly made it one or the other. Either make the trials the test, or say the real test was the sacrifice thing, not just one of the above.

I'm basically with you, I think it's fine, but I get where s/he's coming from.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #359
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
There is a reason people keep saying this show has bad writing. Because, to most people, it does. People don't just randomly attack the writing, and this isn't one or two people. People everywhere, from random fans to professional critics, constantly cite the bad writing. That is not a conspiracy, it is the honest feelings of most of the people that watch this show. The show has great animation, a fascinating setting, characters that we love (although I'm not enamored with some of the NS directions they've gone), but it's writing is NOT up to par.
I have to concur with this. So far they have delivered two episodes which I believe have been fantastic. The Song of the Petalars & The Duelist and the Drifter. These two episodes are what Thundercats is about (to me). Watching our favorite characters explore their world and encounter strange and interesting new characters along the way while learning lessons in life, all while dodging Mummras attempts at stealing the Eye of Thundera.

All the other episodes have just been "one watch" episodes. I watch em once, and don't find myself wanting to watch them again. Yet there are episodes in the OS which I can watch time and time again (The Ghost Warrior).

The two episodes in the NS I mentioned up top I have watched 2 or 3 times. They are also two of the episodes from the NS which I see people on here and Tcatslair mention the most. I wonder if the writers ever get word of this?

Point blank, the writing has not been good. It seems like WB has this fantastic show in their hands that was just "magic" when it came together in the 80's, but they don't quite know how to keep that magic flowing in today's world.
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #360
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
I like this idea a lot.

Perhaps they could have made him fail them, and while doing so felt angry / resentful towards the other cats for beating him but in the end realizing his perception is wrong and that they are his friends trying to better him. Then he gives up his soul for them, which ends up being the true test as you said. That is good story telling imo.

Last edited by AlexofThundera; 04-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Added more
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #361
L08e16o
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenBill View Post
I was kinda counting Mumm-ra in that 7 number, 6 thundercats if I remember correctly. Lion-O isn't set yet, sure he passed the trials and made Mumm-ra run away like a sissy girl in that last episode, but I'm sure he's got a few more thing's he'll have to overcome still, same with the rest. As for Leo, we saw him through Lion-O's actions, so I don't know if I can place him as an important character. Since he's really just Lion-O still, with longer hair. Unless they show him with out Lion-O acting as him he really isn't his own characer. I kinda thought Panthera was just sort of there, sort of a support pillar for him (similar to how I saw Cheetara in the beginning) and planner for the rebellion not sure how she'd get much more screen or story time in, if she even survived that crash at the end.

I'm hoping the show does touch on that city again, the Wily's made it sound really important (and interesting to me) in that first episode then I can't remember hearing them talk about it afterwords, it just kinda disapeared with Lion-O's love of technology.

As for Jaga appearing, Cheetara knew clerics could some how force ghost it????....... I dunno if it isn't touched on in the next episode it's just one more thing we can tack on to the category "Things the Writers don't know how to write."
They said we would see them again (leo and panthera).

I think it was on the back burner (love of tech)

Well, she was sad at the tower of omens and then there he is in the sky. I would be like WTF.
L08e16o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #362
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I know what you mean...
I thing in American shows they feel they need to start a episode with a problem and end the episode with the resolution of that problem....but in anime the stretch it out over several episodes....like ending in the middle of a battle and then start the next episode right where they left off...DBZ would go 5 episode of just one fight....so you would get so much more content....I guess in America they feel we just don't have the attention span for that...
There has been research to indicate that TV shows perform better here with self-contained episodes instead of one solid arc. I do agree that things go too fast much of the time. The trials alone should have been at least three episodes.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #363
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangund View Post
When MJ said that, the first 26 EPs were done practically speaking, so IMO the first 26 Eps will indeed explore on the main casts more. Should they decide for Pumyra to join a more "recurring guess star role" it will happen after EP26.

They have not done any justice of fleshing out other characters, so they wouldn't do the same for a guess star.

Last edited by L08e16o; 04-11-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #364
L08e16o
Quote:
That depends how you define this season. According to Cartoon Network it is the second season.
We are going by WB's season. Season one is completed (WB has already completed it, not aired it).

Last edited by L08e16o; 04-11-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #365
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepySariFan View Post
One of the interviews said we're getting some more flashbacks to that era, I think.
Correct. Someone asked if we would see them again. They said yes.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #366
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe View Post
Going back to the love triangle in Season 1, I forgot about Panthera.

Lion-O had an attraction for her during the love triangle. So he'll easily fall for another girl.

Lion-O getting the signals mixed up with Cheetara could have had a basis from his experience with Panthera.
I disagree about falling for another girl and I believe panthera was a foreshadowing.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #367
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by L08e16o View Post
They said we would see them again (leo and panthera).

I think it was on the back burner (love of tech)

Well, she was sad at the tower of omens and then there he is in the sky. I would be like WTF.
Maybe we "misread" her sadness about Jaga's death?
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #368
L08e16o
Quote:
Exactly. Unfortunately the show already made "Perfect Jelenic's Senses"

Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #369
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post
Your criticisms are genuine and I agree with you.

In this case, the ‘women are complicated' excuse provides an easy, no-analysis-required justification for idiotic storytelling. Apparently some believe that anything the writers chose to do renders it inherently legitimate simply for the fact that the writers have chosen to do so.

Cheetara has barely received any significant character development and the triangle has negatively affected any development that had taken place.

The problem isn’t that writers chose to do Tygra/Cheetara – it’s how they went about doing it.
Agree.

A flower.

I think her growth has gotten worse since the kiss.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #370
stormbringer
Quote:
Agree.

A flower.

I think her growth has gotten worse since the kiss.
Cheetara as a character definately needs fleshing out.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #371
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaLynn View Post
Ok. I have to put my 2 cents in regarding Cheetara and Tygra. In episode 9, at the beginning when they were going to sleep outside in the rain, who did Cheetara cuddle up to to go to sleep? Tygra.
She didn't cuddle with him. She was next to him and they were both asleep.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #372
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
She gave the wrong singals.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #373
L08e16o
Quote:
Cheetara as a character definately needs fleshing out.
Big time. We know more about the others than her.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #374
stormbringer
Quote:
I think she was either an orphan like the Wilykittens, or a runaway. She was probably poor and knew that becoming a cleric was a way out.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #375
L08e16o
Quote:
I think she was either an orphan like the Wilykittens, or a runaway. She was probably poor and knew that becoming a cleric was a way out.
She said it was her dream.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #376
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
what I'm trying to say is that should've been the trial form the beginning...cause let's face it the othe 4 trials were lessened the Lion-o has already learned in past episodes.... it would've ended the same but felt more unexpected....but as it was it was too predictable....I guess I'm just splitting hairs though...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #377
Given2u
Thunder Kitty
I will have to say that to some extent, the ranting do control the show. Some of guys assume that the show WILL go up to 52 eps. Nothing is certain at this point. it looks like some of guys haven't seen a show get cut short. We're already in episode 17 and I must admit that the so called it "Jenelic's long Thundercats movie" is being done inconsistently. They are moving too fast. It seems to me that they are moving as if there will be no 52 eps. We can't say that it just starting because we're almost at the "half waypoint" and most of the fans including myself are not take this show all that seriously. If the plane doesn't have any speed, then it will crash and crash hard.
Given2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #378
Given2u
Thunder Kitty
People keep on bring up the T/C is beacuse it's were it all fell apart. They are pointing at the fault line sort of speak.
Given2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #379
cmangund
Quote:
Or She's "bored" with the "old coot" already. She did pick Tygra out of all the current possible "candidates" for now...

Last edited by cmangund; 04-11-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #380
cmangund
Quote:
The twins are the most "consistent" in terms of characterization so far practically speaking. Maybe It's because Jelenic said it himself they are his favorites "Wilykit and Wilykat are usually my favorites. I always love writing comedy"

Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #381
cmangund
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaLynn View Post
They did not cuddle up. They were just sitting and sleeping next to each other, and their faces weren't showing any kinds of "romanticism", though of course it's subjective to each individuals viewing the scene. In any case, Tygra himself even admitted it that Cheetara "was into" Lion-O, this was direct from the "boyfriend"

Last edited by cmangund; 04-12-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #382
stormbringer
Quote:
They did not cuddle up. They just sitting and sleeping next to each other, and their faces aren't showing any kinds of "romanticism", tough of course it's subjective to each individuals viewing the scene. In any case, Tygra himself even admitted it that Cheetara "was into" Lion-O, this is direct from the "boyfriend"

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #383
cmangund
Quote:
She gave the wrong singals.
Her "signals" were always "messy". Only to Jelenic her "signals" were always "crystal clear"

Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #384
cmangund
Quote:
Jelenic is "care full" of revealing her because she's his "girlfriend". He does not want to reveal her "dirty secrets". What we "really" know so far about her from the crew is her "fake boobs"

Last edited by cmangund; 04-11-2012 at 09:12 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #385
L08e16o
Quote:
Or She's "bored" with the "old coot" already. She did pick Tygra out of all the current possible "candidates" for now...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #386
L08e16o
Quote:
Jelenic is "care full" of revealing her because she's his "girlfriend". He does not want to reveal her "dirty secrets". What we "really" know so far about her from the crew is her "fake boobs"

Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #387
cmangund
Quote:
Yeah, they seem to change each scene.
How observant of you with the "details" Unless it was Jaga's idea in the first place for her to have "implants", of course provided it was not a "magical boobs" somekind of "cleric magic" thing

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #388
cmangund
Quote:
How could she not pick MJ.
It's very hard for her to "resist" MJ, He's her boss.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #389
L08e16o
Quote:
It's very hard for her to "resist" MJ, He's her boss.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #390
cmangund
Quote:
At least she respects one of her bosses, but not jaga.
Well Jaga does not "bring real food to her table" Jelenic on the other hand does. "Tough choices" in her life.

Last edited by cmangund; 04-12-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #391
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I agree with you, but I think what s/he? was getting at is that they made it too easy. It seems as if he could have just passed the four trials and not had to show he was willing to sacrifice himself, or he could be willing to sacrifice himself and fail all the trials and he would have one either way. It seems like a slightly easy trial for your life.

I think s/he's saying is they should have clearly made it one or the other. Either make the trials the test, or say the real test was the sacrifice thing, not just one of the above.

I'm basically with you, I think it's fine, but I get where s/he's coming from.
The stone according to what jaga said already deemed lion-o worthy of a second chance and the trials was a way to show lion-o why the stone found him worthy
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #392
merlin
wizard
i like jaga ghost in trials of lion-o
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #393
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
has anyone seen the preview for episode 17 yet?....it's usually up on their facebook page by now......all I know is it's call native son..
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #394
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
has anyone seen the preview for episode 17 yet?....it's usually up on their facebook page by now......all I know is it's call native son..
I think we're only getting them every other week now because they're worried about the spoilery goodness.
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #395
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I think we're only getting them every other week now because they're worried about the spoilery goodness.
Didn't we get the last preview on Friday?
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #396
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepySariFan View Post
Didn't we get the last preview on Friday?
Yeah, but the one before that we didn't get. I'd like a trailer soon, it'll give me an idea of what it'll be like, so if it doesn't look interesting i don't have to get up so early to watch it.
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #397
L08e16o
It seems they want to keep everything a secret. They have been very tight lip about everything.

It is like they are building everything up to surprise us.

Last edited by L08e16o; 04-13-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #398
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
maybe were getting a new character.... and they're trying to keep it a secret...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #399
L08e16o
Quote:
maybe were getting a new character.... and they're trying to keep it a secret...
I think everything has been a secret.

This is about tygra's past.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #400
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I think everything has been a secret.

This is about tygra's past.
I wonder if he is the boy no one wanted????
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote