TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
I've had some mixed thoughts on this line. Most of it is because I doubt Bandai is going to put in all of their support into it, especially when it comes to the 6inch and Classics lines. With that said, I've been planning to buy the 6inch figures and not the 4inch figures, but what the heck happened? Lion-O's 6inch figure is hideous compared to the 4inch one. His face is so glossy and he has little to no expression or detailing while the 4inch one looks alive and energetic. The 6inch one has far more articulation, but like I said, his face is terrible. How can a 4inch figure be better than a 6inch one? That is just not possible. I mean, they got it right with Mumm-Ra. Well, sort of. His 4inch figure is absolutely bland and cheap looking while the 6inch figure is detailed and everything. Of course, they forgot to give him his wings, which really drags the design of the 6inch down a lot. But then they forgot to give the 4inch one his double bladed sword. Is this just laziness on Bandai's part? Or do they want people to prefer the 4inch line?
Dr Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
4 inch line goes with the accesories. So maybe.
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
RichardC
Thunder Kitty
hard to say on this it is..
i prefer the 4inch i would say bandai will back the four inchers..look at it this way you can do more playset and vehicle wise with the four inchers instead of the 6. also in todays world little jimmys parents would more than likely choose the smaller and buy two small figures over one six inch due to thier price point and the state of todays economy
RichardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
decepticat
Snarf!
4 in. is better for most kids too because of holding them with their hands. Another thing to consider is that 4 in seems to be having a comeback, first with Star Wars then GI JOE, followed by DC and Marvel's successes with this scale. Personally from a price point standpoint as well as a display room the 4 in. are just more attractive to me as a collector. Though I will be getting the 6in. MummRa as I think he's better than the deluxe.
decepticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
I wouldn't call DC's 4inch line a success. They were overpriced, had little to no articulation, and sold poorly.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
I believe the 6" line was mostly made for adult collectors. They expect the kids to get the 4 inchers.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
So it is okay ot half ass the collectors? And to gyp them out of characters?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I personally prefer the look of the 6" figures. Most especially after seeing them side-by-side in-store. The 6" one's aren't perfect, but they are leagues better than the smaller one's. The expression on Lion-O isn't the best, but it works for me. Tygra is, imho, a great example of a horribly executed 4" figure, and all just for the ridiculously sculpted head. He looks like someone shrunk his face, and enlarged the rest of his head at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
And to gyp them out of characters?
How are they "gypping" us out of characters? The line has just begun, and due to their price and collector orientation, the 6" and 8" lines were inevitably going to have fewer releases per wave/set.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I wouldn't call DC's 4inch line a success. They were overpriced, had little to no articulation, and sold poorly.
Another example of Mattel decision making at its finest.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
The Ever Living
I love you too maaa-mutt!
Some of the 4 inch ones have pretty nifty articulation, close to the 25th joes.
I wish they all had waist swivels though, poor Panthro and Tygra.
Have been wanting to snag the larger Panthro though, i can't lie.
The best part of the small ones though, is that they don't take up that much space like others
have mentioned....some people like myself are limited to a linen closet since my girl hates my toys lol.

Last edited by The Ever Living; 09-07-2011 at 08:27 PM..
The Ever Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
I don't think they are.

The 4 inch figures are good, but have drawbacks. Not limited to the magnets on the back, the lower articulation and floppier weapons.

The six inch line is better, to me. 6 inch Lion-O's face looks like the animation model, wheras the 4 inch figure looks more like the original Lion-O than the new one his face is so bulgy and puffy.

I think it's paint. The 4 inch has what I swear are tampo'd eyes, with all the details. The six inch relies on straight up paint, and has no black lining to the eyes at all. Which on the light toned 'skin" can lead to a lack of deffinition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
Another example of Mattel decision making at its finest.
Lol, Mattel.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
How are they "gypping" us out of characters? The line has just begun, and due to their price and collector orientation, the 6" and 8" lines were inevitably going to have fewer releases per wave/set.
I think the problem is Bandai has only revealed the three 6inch figures and revealed nothing new at SDCC. That is the time when they should ahve showed off what they have planned for the next 8 months and they gave us nothing. Based on my past experience with Bandai, I just have no faith in their 6inch line. They never make any female figures in the bigger sizes for Ben 10 or Power Rangers, why would they start with Thundercats? Maybe they will eventually do Cheetara in the Classics, but I just have a feeling they aren't planning anything for the new cartoon series. I just need something concrete to show they are fully supporting all of their Thundercats lines.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #13
User897
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Well, we did get word that Bandai has more on tap for us, including Mumm-Ra's Storm Charger, which I am looking forward to. Villain vehicles are so few and far between these days. I have decided that I will be sticking to the 4" figures because there just will be no 6" or 8" vehicles or playsets.

Also, take into consideration that nearly ALL toy lines that launched with multiple figure scales all at once have failed in recent years, ending up in clearance bins and forgotten. I don't believe that will happen with Thundercats, but Bandai may have to take a step back and re-evaluate a few things carrying forward.

I've been collecting since the 1970's, so I just speak from observations. Kids want the expensive big guy, the parents get a stack of cheaper small guys instead.

Last edited by User897; 09-08-2011 at 04:52 AM..
User897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I think the problem is Bandai has only revealed the three 6inch figures and revealed nothing new at SDCC. That is the time when they should ahve showed off what they have planned for the next 8 months and they gave us nothing. Based on my past experience with Bandai, I just have no faith in their 6inch line. They never make any female figures in the bigger sizes for Ben 10 or Power Rangers, why would they start with Thundercats? Maybe they will eventually do Cheetara in the Classics, but I just have a feeling they aren't planning anything for the new cartoon series. I just need something concrete to show they are fully supporting all of their Thundercats lines.
While it was dissapointing that they didn't reveal anything new at SDCC, they have since revealed to us information about future products via interviews. As for Cheetara, don't worry, they've said that the main team should all be available to us by the end of next year, so that definitely means Cheetara. Not sure if I'll remember everything, but this is what future releases they've revealed while talking in interviews:

-Mumm-Ra's Storm Charger
-more Mutants later this year
-6" scaled Wilykat & Wilykit 2-pack
-4" scaled "final form" Mumm-Ra
-more role-play items for next year
-4 classics per year starting next year
-an additional collectors item currently in the works

Not really much, but it does prove that they're working on continuing the line fully.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Well I found the 4inch Panthro, Tygra, and Wilykat and I am not all that imperssed with them. Lion-O was amazing, but these guys are your typical Bandai 4 inch figures. They don't even have waist rotation. Wilykat cannot even move his tail. What gives?! I hope when I find Cheetara and Kit they are better, but I am expecting to be disappointed. Tygra's head looks like a Xenomorph's while you cannot even tell Panthro has scars on him.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
The 4 inch figs are designed with kids play in mind. They are a bit thicker and chunkier than the characters in the cartoon mainly to withstand lots of action. But compared to the 6" figures the details and the sculpting seem to actually be better. I love 6" Panthro but he's kinda lacking in paint ops (much of the plastic is the actual plastic color and not paint) and his facial features could have been much more detailed. For $16 it's not a really good value. 6" Lion-O is almost lacking all detail in his face and just has two green-blue circles for eyes and that's about it! His mouth is almost entirely hidden by the thick paint. I still have hope that Bandai will at least give us the rest of the Thundercats in the 6" line before they decide to drop it.
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
Slithe
Lizard King
It was a very interesting decision to go with both a 4" and 6" line. Not quite sure on what their angle was. The 4" line has all the vehicles and such, which makes it preferred.
Slithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #18
andr0s81
Thunder Kitty
Both lines have their strong and weak points, but I'm enjoying both. I picked up the 6 inch lion first and was blown away by the amount of articulation and detail to the weapons. So much so that when I found the 4 inch Lion-O I was disappointed that the sword wasn't accurate to the show like the 6 inch version was, and the gauntlet just fit over the 4 inch arm instead of replacing the arm like on the 6 inch and classic version. Since getting the Thundertank and Tower of Omens though I've come to appreciate the 4 inch figures more. I'm a huge fan of vehicles and especially playsets, and those just wouldn't be feasible with the 6 inch scale I'm sure.

And don't be disappointed like I was at first that Cheetara doesn't have the same leg joints as the males or the PR females. Given some practice, she can recreate some awesome running poses:

andr0s81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #19
RedAlert Rescue
Thunder Kitty
Bandai are not known for good articulation - I'd imagine some buyers of Thundercats 4" figures would be shocked if they'd not been groomed by Ben 10 or Power Rangers to expect poor articulation.

I'm not sure I appreciate Bandai's Plastic choices either.

But I can just remember to not go near a Marvel Figure for a while before Playing with Thundercats then the disapointment will be much less.

I liked Kenner's Jurassic Park & Aliens figures a lot and they have a terrible amount of Articulation to them so Thundercats are a step up from that.

However that said I would like to see a different take on 4" figures (perhaps in a boxed set) that ditches the Magnets or shifts them to accessories so that figures like The kittens and Cheetara can be improved without the Magnet getting in the way.

Incidently a pair of ferrous Nunchuks and partly metal sword ( a pin in the hilt perhaps) would be good for back storage though 'where appropriate'.

Thundercats figures are still superior to all but the most expensive or unusual of Mattel Figures though in terms of play value.

I would like to see them actually make big characters bigger though (Mumm-Ra / Grune,Slythe) and just limit their accessories again as is done by Hasbro with their Marvel Universe line. I don't like that they kept them small just so they fit in the vehicles.

It's not a deal breaker but is a little disappointing and if the line lasts into 2012/2013 i'd hope they'd approach some of the characters in a different way.. like in twin packs..

For example one huge character and one tiny one (Mumma-Ra vs Snarf). or two normal size ones and no magnets and better joints.

As for the gauntlet issue I prefer it as an accessory that fits over his arm - ideally you want it to fit on his leg too and store the dagger-sword in it.

As to the Original Question - yes I prefer 4" figures over bigger scales in most cases - as they are a good scale for cross line interaction and allow for decent vehicles.

Even if Thundercats vehicles are not really know for being especially outstanding (anymore than MOTU ones are).
RedAlert Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
shimey013
Thunder Kitty
I like the 4inch line, dont say I have a favorite.. But since everything is made for the 4inch line I would call the 4inch better then the 6 inch. Grant it I think the 6 inch looks better..I really do like both lines. If the 6inch line had as much as the 4inch does..then i'd only by the 6inch but since the Tank and the Tower is only for the 4inch line..it will be my toy of choice
shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #21
The Ever Living
Funny enough if you look closely the deluxe Mumm-ra is more detailed than the larger one.
Look at his hands and feet!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #22
The Ever Living
Quote:
Well I found the 4inch Panthro, Tygra, and Wilykat and I am not all that imperssed with them. Lion-O was amazing, but these guys are your typical Bandai 4 inch figures. They don't even have waist rotation. Wilykat cannot even move his tail. What gives?! I hope when I find Cheetara and Kit they are better, but I am expecting to be disappointed. Tygra's head looks like a Xenomorph's while you cannot even tell Panthro has scars on him.
You can totally tell Panthro has scars on him, They are both painted and sculpted on. The on on his chest is a slightly lighter shade of grey.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #23
Thunderandreams
Thunder Kitty
So a classic every 3 months?

I hope the 8" line gets enough support. I love that line.
Thunderandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderandreams View Post
So a classic every 3 months?
They're releasing them two at a time, so two classics every six months.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #25
Michael'O
Thunder Kitty
Where do you get the info on every 3 months a classic figure will be released, I heard it was every 2 months (which will give us a total of 6 figures per year, so every 4 months there will be two figures out to buy).

Which would make more sense if you think about it. I hope it goes something like this, now remember this is just musing about what I would like to see.

Month 2 - Panthro
Month 4 - Cheetara
Month 6 - Wily-Kit + Wily-Kat
Month 8 - Mumm-ra the Everliving
Month 10 - jaga
Month 12 - Slyhte

I still don't know how they are going to get Snarf in there, unless they pack him in with one of the others, say Wily-Kit and Kat, but really you are getting 2 figures in there already.

Last edited by Michael'O; 09-13-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Michael'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael'O View Post
Where do you get the info on every 3 months a classic figure will be released, I heard it was every 2 months (which will give us a total of 6 figures per year, so every 4 months there will be two figures out to buy).

Which would make more sense if you think about it. I hope it goes something like this, now remember this is just musing about what I would like to see.

Month 2 - Panthro
Month 4 - Cheetara
Month 6 - Wily-Kit + Wily-Kat
Month 8 - Mumm-ra the Everliving
Month 10 - jaga
Month 12 - Slyhte

I still don't know how they are going to get Snarf in there, unless they pack him in with one of the others, say Wily-Kit and Kat, but really you are getting 2 figures in there already.
It's been confirmed that there will be two waves each year of two figures (not sure where you're getting this one every two months stuff). Here's a quote from the interview they did during SDCC:

SDCC 2011 Wrap-Up: Thundercats - kastorskorner.com
Quote:
The format of two character waves will be standard for the collectors line. Collectors should see about two waves per year.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
Cheetaraslover
Thunder Kitty
I personally like the 4" line most. It has all the cast. It has the vehicles. It will gain the most support, with hints of Full Armor Mumm-Ra from the flashback episode scaled for 4" line.

I also collect GI Joes and Marvel Universe (the FAR superior toyline for comic book figures of that size class, by the way, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Marvel as much anymore), so hanging the TCats out with Joes and Micromen and Marvels kicks up the cool factor for me some.

But I got all the 6" and both 8" and they're both really good lines too. I just personally like 4" a bit more. If I had to choose -one-, it would be 4".
Cheetaraslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #28
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ever Living View Post
Funny enough if you look closely the deluxe Mumm-ra is more detailed than the larger one.
Look at his hands and feet!
Uh no, look at his symbol on his chest. The 6inch one looks like a twin snake while the 4inch one looks like the symbol for Taurus.

Anyway, I'm starting to get really disappointed with this line. I might stop collecting it. I mean, the 4inch Lion-O was awesome, the 4 inch mummy Mumm-Ra was awesome, but now that I have everyone but Cheetara and Kit, they are starting to look disappointing. Add PD's Cheetara review to it and I think I am going to just return them all to the store now and bail on the line while I can. If I had faith in Bandai supporting the 6inch line to its fullest, I would pick up the 6inch Panthro and Lion-O (despite his bad looking head), but sadly, I do not think we will see Cheetara in that line, and probably not even the Thunderkittens.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetaraslover View Post
I personally like the 4" line most. It has all the cast. It has the vehicles. It will gain the most support, with hints of Full Armor Mumm-Ra from the flashback episode scaled for 4" line.
Actually what they said about the Armored Mumm-Ra was that they'll have to make him in a totally different scale from any of the figures because of how big he is.

Anyway I'm getting the 6 inch line. I've always been severely annoyed by small figures. Even as a kid.

Also btw, the kittens have been confirmed for the 6" line. So I see no reason why the other three wouldn't be released as well.

Last edited by Balgus82; 09-14-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Old 09-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #30
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Actually having 6 inch Lion-O now, I can say that comparing individual figures the 6 inch line is deffinately superior. His face sculpt is spot on to the animation, and design-wise he isn't hindered at all. He's just a great toy. The 4 inch line also look like great toys, but the sculpts on them range from okay to blah, and a a few are lacking very much in articulation.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #31
The Ever Living
I'm not in love with the 6 inch panthro.....I saw him again today...
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #32
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
Actually what they said about the Armored Mumm-Ra was that they'll have to make him in a totally different scale from any of the figures because of how big he is.
By the way they worded it, he'll be sold at a separate size class, but will be made to be "in-scale" with the 4" figures.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #33
Cheetaraslover
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
and probably not even the Thunderkittens.
They're already announced to be a two pack in the line.
Cheetaraslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
The Ever Living
Does any one have a deluxe 4 inch Mumm ra with all his waist mummy wrappings painted? I saw a review of one that had this.....I'm jealous, even as a customizer.
I refuse to paint soft plastic as it's a pain in the ass.

HOLLY CRAP!WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"M SO PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThunderCats-...item231432b337

Last edited by The Ever Living; 09-14-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #35
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
Actually having 6 inch Lion-O now, I can say that comparing individual figures the 6 inch line is deffinately superior. His face sculpt is spot on to the animation, and design-wise he isn't hindered at all. He's just a great toy. The 4 inch line also look like great toys, but the sculpts on them range from okay to blah, and a a few are lacking very much in articulation.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I decided to pick up the 6inch Lion-O when I saw him today and comparing the two, he is definitely better. Thus, I have to take back what I said. However, I figured out what I did not like about him, the glossy paint on the face. That is what ruins the details of the sculpt. Outside of that though, I am loving it due to the posseability.

Unfortunately, I am repeating myself here, but I am just having a hard time putting faith into Bandai. They have shown absolutely no love for toys in any of their lines since 98 and I cannot expect them to just suddenly start now. I mean, if they do have Silverhawks in the cartoon, do you really think they will do 6inch figures of them? How about a Snarf that can fit in with the 6inch line? Mummy-form Mumm-Ra?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #36
Balgus82
The Snarf that came with the Thundertank is actually more in scale with the 6" line than the 4". But no I don't expect them to release as many 6" figures as they will 4". But I do expect the full main team to be released and hopefully also Grune, Slithe, Monkian, Jackalman, and Vultureman.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #37
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
The Snarf that came with the Thundertank is actually more in scale with the 6" line than the 4".
Doesn't mean they shouldn't, couldn't, or wouldn't make a proper Snarf for the 6" line.

I also don't expect them to make as many 6" figures as they do 4", but that's to be expected with any line that has both scales. We should definitely be getting all of the main cast and some of the others. All depends on how well Bandai thinks a character will sell.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #38
Balgus82
As long as we get the full Thundercats team and the main villains in 6" I'll be happy. The only 4" figure I really plan to get is Panthro and that's only so the Thundertank won't be sitting there without a driver (Snarf doesn't count. lol)