TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Joe Moore
Administrator
After seeing what is coming in Thundercats Classics, and looking at what other companies are doing, I can only say this. All the other "Classics" suck.

The Transformers version of classics (they can't even be arsed to call it that) is filled with so much garbage, poor design choices and leave out a ton of actual Classic characters. At times it's borderline insulting. Suck.

Masters of the Universe Classics? Please. They barely look any different from the originals. Mattel got so scared after MOTU 2002 bombed they decided to copy the original figures (almost to the letter) and add elbow and knee joints. Ooh, big whoop. Suck.

Star Wars Vintage? Let's continually repackage the same figures over and over and over. Let's put modern movie and cartoon figures in vintage packaging to leech a few more dollars. Suck.

Thundercats Classics? New molds that aren't carbon copies of the old ones. Mold that actually improve on the original designs while still actually looking like they're supposed to. What a concept.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
Generally agree.

MOTUC has some decent stuff, and characters not touched upon in a while, but overall it feels too bland. That's why I didn't jump into grabbing them.

TF Classics, I don't even consider them classics anymore, it's just new kids toy X with a deco I half recognize. Still just a kids toy in disguise. Got off that train a long time ago.

Star Wars - I was never really into em after the age of 6, so can't say. There are a lot of upper end collectibles for that, non-Hasbro, to fill that void. Them staying on target with 3 3/4ths stuff is probably good from a collectors stand point.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
I'm actually a fan of the MOTUC Classics, other than the pricing and how you have to go through hell to buy them. That part I admit sucks. But I love how much they look like the ones I grew up with.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Valdin
Thunder Kitty
I have collected the new MOTU line and am quite impressed. I can't wait to display the thundercats along side them or by them. I do like the transformers classics but am being picky, I only collect the g1 and movie figures. Comparing them to their originators they look better and have a better feel. Gi Joe 25th blew me away and I have them all, pity they ruined the line with the new movie. I started collected the star wars figures from 95 and had a huge selection but had to move and had to sell them. I am starting to collect the new figures, but again am being picky. The have come a long way since 95.
I do think the new thundercats classics has me impressed the most. The scale is a little big but i can live with that esp with the rumor that they will go with a 6 inch classic line as well. I can't wait to see them when they come out, and I can't wait to see how panthro and cheetarah will look!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
masterprime
Thunder Kitty
Yeah Valdin I agree I have most of the MOTUC line and I can not wait to put Lion-o, He-man, and classics Optimus prime next to each other. The Kings of the 80's brand new... kinda.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
Valdin
Thunder Kitty
Thanks! I think for me, one thing is missing though. I would love for a company preferably not hasbro to make a m.a.s.k line of 4" figures with vehicles and 6"classics. Oh also if possible a gi joe 6" classics line ala mavel legends.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
MOTUC, IMHO, should have 2002 designs WITH full articulation, but Toyark submitted a question about that for the Mattycollector Q&A and Mattel said no.

LE SIGH.

Transformers Classics...yep, started to notice the distancing from "actual Classics" too. Despite how far the engineering has gone, the 2006 line will probably be the all time best for collectors.

Thundercats? WHAT THE HELL BANDAI USA SAID THE TOYS WOULD BE OUT "SOON" at TOY FAIR!

IT'S MAY!

FREAKING MAY!

I don't notice anyone buying Power Rangers Samurai, bring on Thundercats Bandai USA!

Hell I've been quite vocal in the past on how Bandai USA let lines of HUGE potential fail. Thundercats is that glimmer of hope, AND I WANT SOMETHING NEW TO BUY LIKE RIGHT NAO.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Shishard
Mountain Cat
TF- lack of good characters and when they do put out the ones that need to be it is a 1 in a box chance of getting it.....frustration

MOTUC- piss poor quality for the amount they charge especially what has been released here lately

Star Wars- vintage or nothing....dont care for the umpteenth Luke figure

TC- A new line and a newstalgia line at the same time....something motuc should take snotes on
Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Hadn't really thought about it before, but I have to agree. the Thundercats Classic line has got to be one of the best, if not the best, Classic lines ever made. Only downside is that they're only putting out two figures this year. Other than that it's perfect. Let's just hope that Bandai keeps it going strong for as long as they can.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Grune the Destroyer
Thunder Kitty
Yes, I have to agree with Joe. Despite Transformers being my first "love", I am on the whole disappointed with the Classics line. Being in the UK, the MOTU Classics aren't even a serious option for me (£40-50 for one figure? No, thanks).

The Thundercats Classics though... look definitive, frankly, and I can't wait.

And as for the poster who mentioned MASK... I love that toyline. Still have all my old toys. Would welcome a commemorative line of reissues, but also new moulds too!

Afraid it would likely be Hasbro though... they brought out Kenner, who produced MASK, and clearly have the odd fan in their production teams (e.g. the Matt Trakker homage in GI Joe).
Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
I've just picked and chose which MOTUC figures to get. As much as I'd like to collect the entire line, I agree in that I'd love more of the 200X designs. I just have Man At Arms (my favorite as a kid) and the Zodak based on the 200X design. I have all the Heroic figures from the 200X line when they were out including the staction figures and I just can't bring myself to collecting the entire MOTUC line just out of lack of space.

I got heavy in the Transformers Classics but started tapering off when some of them were hard to find or cancelled.

I love the GIJOE Anniversary line because they have classic looks with a a few updated tweeks.

I hope that we are able to get an entire line of Thundercats Classics. I plan on going all in with this line.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
After seeing what is coming in Thundercats Classics, and looking at what other companies are doing, I can only say this. All the other "Classics" suck.

The Transformers version of classics (they can't even be arsed to call it that) is filled with so much garbage, poor design choices and leave out a ton of actual Classic characters. At times it's borderline insulting. Suck.
Transformers is hit & miss. Some are beautiful like Wheeljack & Warpath. Others totally suck & look nothing like they're supposed to like Scourge & Galvatron.

Quote:
Masters of the Universe Classics? Please. They barely look any different from the originals. Mattel got so scared after MOTU 2002 bombed they decided to copy the original figures (almost to the letter) and add elbow and knee joints. Ooh, big whoop. Suck.
I love the MOTUC line but I refuse to pay the prices they're charging. They're gouging the piss out of the collectors & most are too stupid to care.

Quote:
Star Wars Vintage? Let's continually repackage the same figures over and over and over. Let's put modern movie and cartoon figures in vintage packaging to leech a few more dollars. Suck.
Star Wars has nothing left in it. They're obviously just milking it for every penny they can now. As long as the retarded collectors keep pumping money into it they'll keep rehashing the same characters. The entire line isn't much more than constant Clone variants anyway.

Quote:
Thundercats Classics? New molds that aren't carbon copies of the old ones. Mold that actually improve on the original designs while still actually looking like they're supposed to. What a concept.
It's hit & miss. Cheetara, Panthro, Wilykit, Wilykat & Slithe are definitely NOT improvements. I'll take the old Cheetara any day. The old Cheetara didn't leave much room for improvement. Mumm-Ra & Jaga look pretty much the same. Lion-O & Tygra look pretty cool in the new show. I never really liked Grune so I don't really care about either of them. I'm waiting to see how the other characters look.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #13
KennY
The Everliving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelgrave View Post

I love the MOTUC line but I refuse to pay the prices they're charging. They're gouging the piss out of the collectors & most are too stupid to care.
I take offense to this. Yea, you put "most" in your insult so when someone calls you out on it, you can pull that card, but that comment is uncalled for. I have a subscription and usually get an extra (2 of each) every month (spending between $75 to $300 a month). Does that make me stupid, or smart for making sure I had a good job so that I could do this? Seriously man, who the fuck are you to call someone stupid for their choice of hobby and the amount of money they choose to spend? Yea, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that bullshit that just fell out of your head and into a post is pure hater-ade.

There are those that can...
And there are those who wish they could but can't, then call those that can, stupid...

Last edited by KennY; 08-03-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
KennY
The Everliving
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing73 View Post
I hope that we are able to get an entire line of Thundercats Classics. I plan on going all in with this line.
Absolutely! I'm 100% with you there! I got some of the Lion-O SDCC exclusives and it's a great figure (I opened one). I am waiting for BBTS to get my pre-order of the Lion-O Tygra set. I'm excited to see what Tygra is about. Plus, I think I like the regular Lion-o figure more. I'm working on a Mumm-Ra custom to go with the classics line. Looks pretty good so far. Pretty much done with the figure, just working on the cape right now.

Last edited by KennY; 08-03-2011 at 06:28 AM..
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennY View Post
I take offense to this. Yea, you put "most" in your insult so when someone calls you out on it, you can pull that card, but that comment is uncalled for. I have a subscription and usually get an extra (2 of each) every month (spending between $75 to $300 a month). Does that make me stupid, or smart for making sure I had a good job so that I could do this? Seriously man, who the fuck are you to call someone stupid for their choice of hobby and the amount of money they choose to spend? Yea, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that bullshit that just fell out of your head and into a post is pure hater-ade.

There are those that can...
And there are those who wish they could but can't, then call those that can, stupid...
Not trying to start an argument here, but I have two pieces of friendly advice I'd like to pass on. 1. Don't take what people say on the internet personally, and 2. Never make assumptions about people based on what they say over the internet. I find most people tend to use broad generalizations more than they realize, which tends to obscure what they intended to say in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelgrave View Post
It's hit & miss. Cheetara, Panthro, Wilykit, Wilykat & Slithe are definitely NOT improvements. I'll take the old Cheetara any day. The old Cheetara didn't leave much room for improvement. Mumm-Ra & Jaga look pretty much the same. Lion-O & Tygra look pretty cool in the new show. I never really liked Grune so I don't really care about either of them. I'm waiting to see how the other characters look.
Ummm...we've been talking about the Classics figures, which are the 8" scaled one's based off of the original show. Not the new show's stuff...

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 08-03-2011 at 06:29 AM..
Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
KennY
The Everliving
Quote:

Kinda biased there don't'ya think? Both companies did just about the same thing. The Thundercat Classics look like they are just as much "copied" from the originals (knee & elbow joints etc...) as the MOTUC are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	483

Last edited by KennY; 08-03-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Kinda biased there don't'ya think? Both companies did just about the same thing. The Thundercat Classics look like they are just as much "copied" from the originals (knee & elbow joints etc...) as the MOTUC are.
Don't think it's biased at all. The MOTUC figures look like near copies (except taller) to the original toys with a few points of articulation added. The Thundercats Classics have significantly different sculpts and paint schemes that are worlds better than the original figures and set them apart from those originals.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
KennY
The Everliving
Quote:
Don't think it's biased at all. The MOTUC figures look like near copies (except taller) to the original toys with a few points of articulation added. The Thundercats Classics have significantly different sculpts and paint schemes that are worlds better than the original figures and set them apart from those originals.
I will give you that, the new Thundercat figures are a TON better than the originals. I will also say that the Thundercats figures do have the most contrast to their originals, but only because the paint aps on the originals was horrible. Lion-O wasn't orange (original figure paint app), and they've added an extra blue to the new Tygra figure's torso, but other than that they are as much copies of the originals. To say that there isn't a significant difference in sculpt from the original MOTU to the new MOTUC is unffair. Yes, the new MOTUC are a much closer match to their originals, but if we compare cartoons to figures, the original Thundercat figures were atrocious in comparison so ofcourse there is going to be a significant change.

Thundercats Old to New = poor to great
MOTU Old to New = fair to great

Now please don't get me wrong, I am just as big of a Thundercat fan as I am MOTU, the reason I am arguing this is because I am currently in school getting a degree in Industrial Design (Toy Design) in hopes to start designing action figures for a large company such as these, and I see the work that goes into these more so than the average joe. So yes, I may be over analyzing the whole topic, but I see a vast difference in the MOTUC from the MOTU rather than a carbon copy with added articulation. I also agree that the Thundercat figures are slightly better, BUT I absolutely would not catagorize the MOTUC as "SUCK".
Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
I will give you that, the new Thundercat figures are a TON better than the originals. I will also say that the Thundercats figures do have the most contrast to their originals, but only because the paint aps on the originals was horrible. Lion-O wasn't orange (original figure paint app), and they've added an extra blue to the new Tygra figure's torso, but other than that they are as much copies of the originals. To say that there isn't a significant difference in sculpt from the original MOTU to the new MOTUC is unffair. Yes, the new MOTUC are a much closer match to their originals, but if we compare cartoons to figures, the original Thundercat figures were atrocious in comparison so ofcourse there is going to be a significant change.

Thundercats Old to New = poor to great
MOTU Old to New = fair to great

Now please don't get me wrong, I am just as big of a Thundercat fan as I am MOTU, the reason I am arguing this is because I am currently in school getting a degree in Industrial Design (Toy Design) in hopes to start designing action figures for a large company such as these, and I see the work that goes into these more so than the average joe. So yes, I may be over analyzing the whole topic, but I see a vast difference in the MOTUC from the MOTU rather than a carbon copy with added articulation. I also agree that the Thundercat figures are slightly better, BUT I absolutely would not catagorize the MOTUC as "SUCK".
I have no problems with people enjoying and toy line. Even ones I don't like. It's all good, and what makes collecting so diverse. The MOTUC figures aren't for me in the least.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
KennY
The Everliving
Quote:
I have no problems with people enjoying and toy line. Even ones I don't like. It's all good, and what makes collecting so diverse. The MOTUC figures aren't for me in the least.
I was arguing the difference in sculpts from original to new, not that you did/didn't have a problem with what people enjoy. I apologize if I was misleading.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #21
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
I have to agree with the OP. Thundercats seemed to have nailed the classics concept better than most.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
KennY
The Everliving
I really dig the new Thundercat classic figures. The only thing I'm not to keen on is the crotch is "fat" and keeps the legs spread apart. Make sense?

Last edited by KennY; 08-05-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #23
Beej B
Loves the new show!!!
For me, the biggest issue with MOTU Classics is definitely the pricing and the MattyCollector site nightmares. I dig the line, but aside from frustrations on price and Matty's crappy bandwidth, I don't really have the space for them anyway. So it matters not. But I think they are nice figures. I am perfectly happy with my 200X line and Stactions. I loved that reboot, and it's a much cooler and worthy representation of MOTU on my figure shelves anyway, IMO.

Transformers "Classics" has been all over the map in terms of quality. But I enjoy the G1-style toys when done right, and own most of them. But there's no denying many of them leave room for vast improvement. Which just means we'll start getting them all over again in 3-5 years, lol. The "Classic Classics."

I left Star Wars behind ages ago. Stopped collecting newer stuff aside from select pieces here and there, and sold off the bulk of my MOSC collection and some other stuff. It's just a never-ending pit of BS. Like the Dark Side, it will swallow you whole, if you allow it, lol.

The main thing that REALLY excites me about a potential full line of Thundercats Classics though, is that I never owned all the toys (or even close) as a child. I had like 2 or 3 of the figures, since my parents would crack down on me getting into too many lines and shows at one time, lol. I wanted more of the toys, but sadly never got them. Then much later, collector pricing on stuff in new to decent shape over the years kind of kept me away from chasing that dream down the road, but these new figures really are an improvement in every way and are essentially the perfect updated versions of those original releases. To possibly get the whole cast NOW in better quality and sculpts, etc. is indeed a real treat and something I look forward to. I will be getting all of whatever comes out, for sure.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #24
The Ever Living
I love you too maaa-mutt!
The Motuc figures are pretty nicely sculpted and detailed.
They usually also have good paint aps.
They are a bit expensive though, and Mattel as a company sucks hairballs.

Transformers Classics/universe/generatioins RULE!

Gijoe 25th were also great.

Thundercat classics( from the one Lion-o I saw) suffer from What I've seen alot on the Bandai figures. Sloppy paint jobs.
The lion-o I saw was alsmost perfect but the claw shield had red paint ALL OVER it.
I refused to pay 20 bucks for something like that.
I'll be waiting till I see another one and hope it will be better.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
Primacron
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

I assume you're trying to be a bit provocative just to get the thread going, but I'd be interested to know which classic characters you think are missing. By my reckoning most have been covered now.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #26
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
I agree with Joe Moore's OP for the most part. TF Classics are what drew me back into collecting but now they suck. To the point where i don't even buy TF toys. I still post on TFW2005 though. Its a kickass community.

The MOTU Classics look ok. They look ok because i haven't actually gotten any yet. I hate the system in place for purchasing these toys.

GI Joe 25th rocked my face off.

But Thundercats Classics have been the best "classics" line of toys for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ever Living View Post
The Motuc figures are pretty nicely sculpted and detailed.
They usually also have good paint aps.
They are a bit expensive though, and Mattel as a company sucks hairballs.

Transformers Classics/universe/generatioins RULE!

Gijoe 25th were also great.

Thundercat classics( from the one Lion-o I saw) suffer from What I've seen alot on the Bandai figures. Sloppy paint jobs.
The lion-o I saw was alsmost perfect but the claw shield had red paint ALL OVER it.
I refused to pay 20 bucks for something like that.
I'll be waiting till I see another one and hope it will be better.
My Lion-o is perfect. no QC issues at all.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
double post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #28
Jlogano20
Thunder Kitty
ok i agree the TC classics are great but i dont agree with the BS about TF classic yes i agree some suck but alot are great updates like wheeljack
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #29
The Ever Living
I love you too maaa-mutt!
My Lion-o is perfect. no QC issues at all.[/QUOTE]

I'll be waiting to find one like that. lol
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ever Living View Post

I'll be waiting to find one like that. lol
I ordered mine off Amazon.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #31
King T'Challa
Thunder Kitty
Lol. I like Thundercats too, but most folks here must be little biased.

Transformers CHUG, and GIJoe anniversary figs are both hit and miss. TF's Jazz, Grappel, & Sunstreaker, along with Joe's 25th Storm Shadow, BAT, & POC w3 Snake Eyes are great. Classics Optimus, Grimlock, Galvatron, and the 25th's Dreadnoks, along with most Joe repaints are equally great in awfulness.

The Star Wars Vintage Collection are toys of the near highest quality. The only things one might complain about is selection and price. The same complaints can be made for any AF line.

And when it comes to Classic 80's throwback figures, Masters of the Universe Classics is the standard. No other line has delivered to fans like this line has. I only wish Hasbro (and now Bandai) would take note.

The aesthetically lacking sculpts, inconsistant over-articulation, and super garbage paintjobs of the Thundercats Classics figs already warrant the line be scrapped and reintroduced. If all the above isn't fixed soon, along with their poorly chosen scale, I doubt we'll even get all the core characters before the line's cancelled.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #32
King T'Challa
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlocksPS View Post
Thundercats Classics have been the best "classics" line of toys for me.
All two figures, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlocksPS View Post
My Lion-o is perfect. no QC issues at all.
How's your Tigra?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #33
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
My biggest complaint with thundercats classics is the paint. Motuc has crap paint but these set the bar higher for worst. I've gone threw 4 full store stocks before finding a decent tygra. Sad thing is I'm not even a OCD case! Lol!

The lion-o I picked up is a place holder till I can upgrade, his mouth paint is all over his face and the logo is half matte half glossy and off centered. Not to mention one of his blue shirt straps isn't painted at all. But lion-o is pretty hard to come by in my area. Nothing but tygra.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #34
Monkian
Thunder Monkey
I've not noticed the paint apps. I'm kind of a softy when it comes to that; they are toys after all, not works of art.. lol. What I did notice, QC wise, is that the heads tend to nod. As in, they bow down a bit. Not a fan of the neck joints on the classic figures so far.
Closed Thread