TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
Bandai Gets Thundercats Master Toy License

So, what do you guys think about Bandai getting the license? Good, bad, wait and see?
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Super_Megatron
Administrator
I'm glad to see they are doing "classics" versions of the characters, but what I don;t understand is why they are doing both 6 and 8 inch figures?
Super_Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
8 inch are the classic figures
the 4 inch and 6 inch are from the new cartoon

i hope bandai does a good job on them look good from what wee've seen so far..
would of been awesome if the 4 horsemen would of did them though
Dawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Super_Megatron
Administrator
Why not do classic figures in the 6 inch size so they can all be in the same scale? The sculpts look really good though so far.

April 14th, 2013 @ the Delta Meadowvale Hotel in Mississauga, ON
Super_Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
r3v3n63
samoflange
I'm excited to see how it goes. I actually prefer the 4", I didn't get too many Thundercats back in the day because they were so large, this scale is a bit more collectible for me.
what really has me interested is their take on the Thundertank.
r3v3n63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
C.I.A.D.
Darth Gorillamus
^ Agreed. That new Thundertank looks all sorts of sexy. I really dig the way the claws turn in to cycles/pods...really harkens back to the old Silverhawks plane.
C.I.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Deefuzz
Thunder Kitty
Just be thankful that Mattel isn't handling the license, otherwise you would be lucky to see even a fraction of the toys at retail.
Deefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
C.I.A.D.
Darth Gorillamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefuzz View Post
Just be thankful that Mattel isn't handling the license, otherwise you would be lucky to see even a fraction of the toys at retail.
Amen to that....or else it would be 1 fig per month direct through the store.
C.I.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Nah, it would be a case of 12 figures, 4 are Lion-O, 4 are Lion-O with a different outfit, 1 is Lion-O in a third outfit, 1 Mumm-Ra, and 1 other figure.

I'm shocked at how awesome and detailed the classic 8 inch figure looks to be honest. I wasn't expecting that. I'm a little disapointed that it's Lion-O and Tygra, would've vastly prefered Lion-O and Mumm-Ra.

As for the new series figures, I'm a little disapointed, they don't look nearly so detailed; while it's clear it'll follow the Animated Aesthetic, it looks like it'll be harder to crossdisplay with other lines.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 02-07-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Darth_Risar
Thunder Kitty
And if Mattel was doing it they would look as bad as the smaller DC line
Darth_Risar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
Personally, so long as they don't 100% suck, I think I am gonna stick with the 4 inch figures. Cheaper, more in less space on a shelf.
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
MegaPrime33
Thunder Kitty
From what I've seen, I am loving the classic line. I'm still holding judgement for the 6" line of the new show. I've never been a fan of 3-4" figures, outside of Joes and SW. I think it was incredibly smart of them in following what Mattel did with the MOTUC line and creating a classics line for TCats.
MegaPrime33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Pepsi Jedi
Thunder Kitty
I like what I've seen so far. The 4 inch one's look a bit plain, but I'm hoping for more out of the middle scale. I do like the new animated designs so I'm hoping they translate well.
Pepsi Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
r3v3n63
samoflange
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.A.D. View Post
^ Agreed. That new Thundertank looks all sorts of sexy. I really dig the way the claws turn in to cycles/pods...really harkens back to the old Silverhawks plane.
YES! This tank has so much going on with it. The cartoon always showed the whole team using it to go into battle and Panthro was making so many mods to it as to be something like the Batmobile but when I saw the tank in person I was all "WTF?" With the 4" option it looks like the tank can hold a lot more as well as include a bunch of extra stuff.
Now that you mention Silverhawks, I wonder how well that line did and if there is a redux planned for that?
Heh... Or even Tigersharks.

Last edited by r3v3n63; 02-07-2011 at 07:07 PM..
r3v3n63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
gijoe071681
Thunder Kitty
It all depends. i'm kind of liking it, but bandai is currently doing things like Ben 10 so I'm not sure. On the other hand they did do the Gundam series so............
gijoe071681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
The_Eva-Living
Thunder Kitty
Just joined. I heard Bandai got the license a while back. But ever since then I haven't seen any pics. Time to go digging for pics. But so far I'm not liking the news about the classic versions being in the 8 inch scale.
The_Eva-Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Sabien
On the loose!
Looks good. I'm eager to get that new Panthro.
Sabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
Pumm-ra
"Not in any way Mumm-ra"
I would have to wait until Toy Fair Pics
But right now, based off of preliminary pics, i'll go for the 4 inch scale and maybe a few from the classics line to have with my larger scale Masters and DCUC collection

Last edited by Pumm-ra; 02-07-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Pumm-ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Lio-Convoy
Mayhem Incarnate
i never attempted to collect the older figures but the idea of newer figures has me excited.
Lio-Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
RedEyes
Thunder Kitty
I'm not loving the new cartoons designs. I'm sure I'll get into it eventually. But the "classic" 8" figures are definitely getting bought!! So far I think they nailed Lion-O.
RedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
Steelgrave
Ho!
Where are the pics of the classic 8" figures? So far all I've seen are Cheetara, Lion-O & the Thundertank from the new cartoon.
Steelgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #22
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelgrave View Post
Where are the pics of the classic 8" figures? So far all I've seen are Cheetara, Lion-O & the Thundertank from the new cartoon.
here's lion -o
Classic 8 Inch Lion-O Revealed
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg99 View Post

Holy Crap! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!

Where's Cheetara? Cheetara! Cheetara! MUST SEE CHEETARA!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #24
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Holy Crap! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!

Where's Cheetara? Cheetara! Cheetara! MUST SEE CHEETARA!
i believe thats the only picture of the classics line so far . but hell yeah i can't wait for a classics Cheetara as well .. The 1st series is Lion-O & Tygra
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
i believe thats the only picture of the classics line so far . but hell yeah i can't wait for a classics Cheetara as well .. The 1st series is Lion-O & Tygra

Oh God, they better get around to Cheetara. I've been wanting a really detailed kick ass Cheetara for years. I don't care about the rest, just need Cheetara!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Oh God, they better get around to Cheetara. I've been wanting a really detailed kick ass Cheetara for years. I don't care about the rest, just need Cheetara!
I'm sure Cheetara will be made very soon after all she is a main character
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
I'm sure Cheetara will be made very soon after all she is a main character

Knowing my luck they'll make Lion-O & Tygra, then Panthro & a Wiley Kit & Kat 2-pack & then cancel the line after that.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #28
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Knowing my luck they'll make Lion-O & Tygra, then Panthro & a Wiley Kit & Kat 2-pack & then cancel the line after that.
That would be just cruel if that happened
Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #29
The_Eva-Living
Thunder Kitty
If they make Wiley Kit and Wiely kat before Mumm-ra I'll be upset. Lol
The_Eva-Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #30
Lio-Convoy
Mayhem Incarnate
i'd like to see panthro and cheetara as the wave 2 figs and then whoever else after that, i was never that big on the thundercat villains so i would probably only collect the t-cats themselves for the 8 inch line. though i would get a Grune if they made him, especially if these figs were motu classics style so grune could come with a swappable head and armor to represent him when he was a thundercat and after he turned bad.
Lio-Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #31
Croaker
Thunder Kitty
I'm still worried about Bandai - and I think I will be until I see all of the new toys on the shelves, in person. Then I can judge the quality and distribution.
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #32
antapp
Thunder Kitty
Let's see a new Grune - maybe ghost versions of him and Jaga, like the Transformers Starscream ghost figures.
antapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
Lion0
Banned
Pretty excited about these...Didn't think Bandai could pull off something cool, but looks like I was wrong. And the fact that we're getting classics too is a good thing.....
Now bring on Bravestarr, Silverhawks and some M.A.S.K and I can die..........
Lion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #34
Hammerhand
Thunder Kitty
At first, I was very skeptical, but now...I've got a little more faith. I can't wait to see more.
Hammerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #35
JimmyPSHayes
Thunder Kitty
I like what I've seen from both the 4 inch & the collectors line. I'm in 100% on the line. Can't wait for better pics at Toy Fair.
JimmyPSHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
Bravestarr
Banned
It will be nice to have vehicles and playsets.
Bravestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
From the few pictures I've seen I'm pretty happy about the both the classic figures as well as the figures from the new toon. Since the only classic figure I own is a Lion-O figure I bought from a thrift store, I'm totally happy they will be releasing some more poseable and detailed versions of the original 'Cats and Villains. I am hoping they do Bengali, Lynx-O, and Pumyra in both the classic and new toon lines.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #38
MannE
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
I'm still worried about Bandai - and I think I will be until I see all of the new toys on the shelves, in person. Then I can judge the quality and distribution.
I agree with Croaker 100% that its a matter of seeing them in hand b4 actually giving them a passing grade. I am very disappointed in what i've seen thus far :S
MannE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #39
LionO84
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Why not do classic figures in the 6 inch size so they can all be in the same scale? The sculpts look really good though so far.
Its to compete with the Marvel Legends and DCs line thats similar. If i remember right most of the TC were slightly taller then humans. They will look great with all my Marvel Legends.
LionO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #40
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering too. The only figures that Thundercats Classics will be in scale with(going by figures from the past few years), are:
  • Saint Seiya(Bandai America versions)
  • Sigma 6
  • Mattel Retro Action
6" is the more popular scale, a scale that MOTUC, Marvel Legends, DCUC, and other companies use for collectors' figures. Struck me as odd that Bandai America chose 8" for Classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefuzz View Post
Judging from what Mattel did with DCIH and how much they are now charging for DCUC, yeah, I agree! Man...hopefully they do Voltron justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Bacala View Post
Personally, so long as they don't 100% suck, I think I am gonna stick with the 4 inch figures. Cheaper, more in less space on a shelf.
They seem to be formatted like the small scale Power Ranger toys, same style articulation, scale, et al. Hmm. I'll have to see these in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe071681 View Post
It all depends. i'm kind of liking it, but bandai is currently doing things like Ben 10 so I'm not sure. On the other hand they did do the Gundam series so............
Gundam died in the US under Bandai America. Gundam Wing was successful but the rest did not do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
At first, I was very skeptical, but now...I've got a little more faith. I can't wait to see more.
Same here
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #41
gijoe071681
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderTomkat21 View Post

Gundam died in the US under Bandai America. Gundam Wing was successful but the rest did not do well.

True, but what kind of backing did the other Gundam lines really have? If I recall correctly, which I may or may not, the other series that were produced had cartoons placed sporadically at different times so there really was no base. Plus the wing Gundams just looked cooler IMHO as opposed to ones that were based on an early 80's (?) Anime.
gijoe071681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #42
Joe Moore
Administrator
I think we'll all have a better idea after Toy Fair in NY. So far I am pretty optimistic.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
Bravestarr
Banned

Last edited by Bravestarr; 02-10-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Bravestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #44
JimmyPSHayes
Thunder Kitty
Bandai released some pre-Toy Fair stuff.
2011 Toy Fair: Bandai's Thundercats Overview - Toy Fair - ToyNewsI.com
Love this Tygra figure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tygra2__scaled_600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	103
Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #45
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
I think we'll all have a better idea after Toy Fair in NY. So far I am pretty optimistic.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe071681 View Post
True, but what kind of backing did the other Gundam lines really have? If I recall correctly, which I may or may not, the other series that were produced had cartoons placed sporadically at different times so there really was no base. Plus the wing Gundams just looked cooler IMHO as opposed to ones that were based on an early 80's (?) Anime.
Some of the other ones had cartoons shown later in the night due to the more mature themes. I do agree that part of the failure was bad marketing decisions but overall, there was MASSIVE potential for Gundam in America that was not utilized, and it died a somber death at US retail. Having collected Gundam figures during that time(and somewhat now), there were some great releases on Bandai America's part, but again, bad marketing decisions.

Despite Wing looking more modernized and capturing the US audience, it was actually the most overrated series IMHO. The zenith for Gundam in the US, I think, was when Toonami started showing Endless Waltz. The 0079 series for some reason, was not allowed to be subtitled in the US unless it was the movie trilogy(the hell?).

There are plenty of reasons why Gundam failed in the US, and hopefully Bandai America has learned from that, and can apply what they learned with Thundercats.
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #46
oehtam
Thunder Kitty
hmm...i'm sort of on the fence on this one. Bandai may handle their own property well, but I didn't like the way they handled other properties (like Teen Titans). I hope they don't just make the core characters in various scales like they did with the Titans.

Right now, the characters I really would love to see (at least on their classic line) are the Lunatacs.
oehtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #47
king kahn
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
They are doing the classic line in 8" because the original figures were that size. I wish the classic line was 6" as well.
king kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #48
marv
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannE View Post
I agree with Croaker 100% that its a matter of seeing them in hand b4 actually giving them a passing grade. I am very disappointed in what i've seen thus far :S
I been looking at the Ben 10 toys closely and I think they are pretty good. I am far more interested in the classic line right now but the new figures are starting to peek my interest.

MM
marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 AM   #49
Grune the Destroyer
Thunder Kitty
Was very unsure when I first heard of Bandai getting the licence... but having seen the figures, I have to say, I am quite happy. They're doing a good job (so it appears).
Grune the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #50
JimmyPSHayes
Thunder Kitty
Boy, it seems like EVERYONE-fans and pros alike were impressed with Bandai's Thundercats presentation. Way to go! I wish it was fall.