TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Hey guys. I'm only half thinking about selling this awesome piece of my collection. I'm not sure I could really part with it. I love ThunderCats, I love the 6" Tygra figure, and I love protos. This test/first shot is one of the prizes of my toy collection. Certainly the prize of my ThunderCats collection. 6" ThunderCats test/first shots just don't show up anywhere. 4" ones are pretty rare, but 6" ones are non-existant. I just don't know if I could part with it... but, funds are super tight and I could really use a big sale... so that is where my question comes in....

What do you guys think I could get for an item like this? I know you never really know until you put it up and let people bid, but I'm curious what people here think it might go for. And yes, I know... most people here aren't proto/test/first shot collectors... most want finished toys and packaging... I'm asking the other people here The ones who like the pre-production toys.

What could I get for it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1399Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	1400Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1401Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2224.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	1402Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	1403

englishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
I have no idea how much it is worth, but it is a very nice piece. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out well for you.
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Thanks, adssse =o)

Anyone else have a guess?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
test
You don't stand a chance
Hmm ... I love my test shots but if I saw it on eBay (hypothetically) I always think for a while and then come up with a maximum sum in my head and I agree with myself that under no circumstances will I go any higher. So I then bid my max amount and check back after all is over to see if I won.

I would probably for this put down 40 pounds ... But given my current situation I have just shelled out a pre order for transformers dotm APS 01 striker prime ... He wasn't cheap lol

So if I was better of I may go up to 50 but no more.
I certainly wouldn't sell if I were in your shoes though lol
test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by test View Post
Hmm ... I love my test shots but if I saw it on eBay (hypothetically) I always think for a while and then come up with a maximum sum in my head and I agree with myself that under no circumstances will I go any higher. So I then bid my max amount and check back after all is over to see if I won.

I would probably for this put down 40 pounds ... But given my current situation I have just shelled out a pre order for transformers dotm APS 01 striker prime ... He wasn't cheap lol

So if I was better of I may go up to 50 but no more.
I certainly wouldn't sell if I were in your shoes though lol
Yeah, I certainly couldn't let it go for 40-50 pounds. heh

Have you ever seen a 6" Bandai ThunderCats test shot show up on eBay?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
test
You don't stand a chance
Nope never seen one on eBay ... And for that very reason it could well reach the 80-90 pound margin. Considering the rarity of the regular 6 inch tygra as well , people may just go nuts over it lol. ... Only reason my figure is so low is because my funds are currently limited and there's a lot of other things on my to buy list hehehe

You could always test the water and list it at a super high price just to see if it gets any bites.
test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
I don't wanna seem like a killjoy but if you put a Tygra figure in paint thinner you would get your "prototype". Usually the test shot figures are made in crazy colors that just happened to be in the injection molding machine when they tested the molds. What you seem to have is an unpainted production Tygra.
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
I don't wanna seem like a killjoy but if you put a Tygra figure in paint thinner you would get your "prototype". Usually the test shot figures are made in crazy colors that just happened to be in the injection molding machine when they tested the molds. What you seem to have is an unpainted production Tygra.
Test shots/first shots can be in crazy colors, but they can also be in the production colors. I have test/first shots of each type. They want to use the same kind of plastic, regardless of color. For example, in my figure, the belt/holster piece is molded from dark blue plastic, while the retail figure is silver. Also, my first/test shot figure has two left lower leg pieces instead of a left and a right. Those details as well as a few others make me think that it is in fact a test/first shot and not simply an unpainted production figure.

Thanks for your input though.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
My bad. Good luck with your sale!
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
My bad. Good luck with your sale!
No problem =o) And thanks! Haven't decided if I'm selling or not though. I just don't think I'd get enough to make it worth selling for me. It's a special piece.

Oh, and one other major difference is the "CE" in the stretched weird font on the back of the figure is not on the test/first shot figure, but it is on the retail. It is something that they added to the mold between when my figure was made and the production of the rest =o) I'll take pictures when I can and post them.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Here are photos of the back of the figure and the back of the retail figure. The copyright is on both, but the "C E" markings are not on the first/test shot. Pretty cool, I think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1419Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1420
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #12
mumm_ra_the_ever_living
Like A Boss
well since the line bombed pretty badly and was cancelled and the show itself was cancelled, what do you honestly think it's worth? $100.00? idk.
mumm_ra_the_ever_living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm_ra_the_ever_living View Post
well since the line bombed pretty badly and was cancelled and the show itself was cancelled, what do you honestly think it's worth? $100.00? idk.
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. I've seen every ThunderCats prototype that has been on eBay since the 2011 figures hit eBay and I haven't seen another 6" figure. Period. This is the only 6" Tygra... the only 6" of anything... that I know exists. There are likely others, but not many. The 4" figures are a little more common, but still very hard to find. Really rare to see them show up on eBay. I have a handful, but not all that I'd like.

Does anyone else have a 6" test/first shot / proto?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
panther48
Thunder Kitty
hi i have seen the 6'' tygra prototype on ebay..the color was blue on him! i bidded on him but i got out bidded..i have some of the 4'' prototype ones in my collection..the ones that i'm missing are grune..panthro,and the one with the lazer eye that came with the vehicle!
panther48 is offline   Reply With Quote