TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #251
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPINMASTER X View Post
I was not very impressed with this episode at all. To be honest I was pretty disappointed. It's like this episode was thrown together. Also why is Mumm-Ra such a loser now? I'd say the writers need to let the villains develop as much as Lion-O does because I'm not sure I can take seeing the Thundercats get cheap wins so easily.
I agree and disagree.

I think the episode as a whole was pretty well done, especially when compared to the last couple of train wrecks.

On the other hand, the writers NEED to figure out how to write more compelling two-sided fights. An action show lives and dies by its fights, and this show is developing a habit of having bad ones. And there is no excuse because the animation is very well done, it is simply a matter of badly written, badly choreographed fights.

And on a total side note, IMO they need to have lion-o give the full thundercats Ho more often. It is one of the pay off moments to this entire freaking franchise. I think it's what gave the first show half of its excitement. Because let's face it, those fights weren't that good either and Mumm-ra was not a credible threat, but when you saw that battle-cry and you heard that theme song kick in, you didn't freaking care. And I think the same thing could still work.
KaleRylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #252
L08e16o
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDustyV View Post
Actually Lily looked closer to Ginny than Hermione in the books. the movies got her look completely wrong.
That was my point. Ginny looked like Lily, that is sick.
L08e16o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #253
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
Fair enough, I just find the base thundercats cast kind of boring. Very power rangerish in its composition. I don't feel the need to know that much about the other cast. Unlike a lot of team shows, thundercats does have a main character, Lion-o. So i like to have different people to interact with Lion-o in different ways.

Bare minimum I would like Pumyra for the simple fact that it splits the 'femaleness' up so that you don't have to have Cheetara be 'team girl' in every single plot. And the others would be nice simply because they don't fit so easily into the 'five man band' stereotypes from tvtropes
It is boring, because this is about lion-o. We are finally going to get more info on the other characters.

Last edited by L08e16o; 04-10-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #254
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSapphire View Post
It also helps that thanks to the internet and the instant feedback it provides the showrunners now have a better idea of a character's popularity than they did in the eighties and can adjust accordingly. Pumyra was underused in the old series because the producers didn't really know what to do with her (the already had two girls! Why do we need more in a boy's action series?) and they thought no one really cared about her. Nowadays things are different, and it's easier to gauge which characters are fan-favorites and give them an extra chance to shine. One of the first questions asked when the new series was announced was "Are Pumyra/Bengali/Lynx-O in it?" and even before the revelation of Tygra/Cheetarah there were Lion-O/Pumyra shippers at work.

Besides, Lion-O will need an army to take down Mumm-Ra, the more the merrier.
Leo, panthera, and the animals beat mummra.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #255
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post
I don't think the writing is going to dig that deep . The past can be summed up in a matter of seconds in flashbacks so there is a lot of room for new characters
I don't believe pumyra is joining the group, MJ was clear that he is exploring the main cast.

Pumyra might be there for cheetara.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #256
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by L08e16o View Post
It is boring, because this is about lion-o. We are finally going to get more info on the other characters.
No offense, but if you think it's boring to focus on Lion-o, I'm not really sure why you're watching Thundercats. There's a fair chance that even in these mystical 'character' episodes that they're doing now, they will still have a heavy focus on Lion-o, possibly a greater focus on Lion-o than the character that the episode is exploring.

I could be wrong about this, maybe these will be those once a series episodes that leave the main guy out, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #257
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I don't believe pumyra is joining the group, MJ was clear that he is exploring the main cast.

First off, people can and do change their minds all the time. A statement from a year ago is not written in stone forever; it just presents a strong possibility. Especially since the statement wasn't even truly definitive. It was not a 'we will never have other cats join the team.'

That said, I assume that you're probably right for a couple of reasons, of which the statement is just one. Mostly, it just seems like a very random time to suddenly have a new character join the team.

However I, and apparently many others, just wish that this were not the case. A lot of us would LIKE to see other characters join the team. It's not because we doubt the statement, or are sure it will happen. We just hope it happens, now or sometime.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #258
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
And on a total side note, IMO they need to have lion-o give the full thundercats Ho more often. It is one of the pay off moments to this entire freaking franchise. I think it's what gave the first show half of its excitement. Because let's face it, those fights weren't that good either and Mumm-ra was not a credible threat, but when you saw that battle-cry and you heard that theme song kick in, you didn't freaking care. And I think the same thing could still work.
Agreed. When Lion-O shows up to the pyramid and jumps for the sword and grabs it as Mummra is yelling Noooooo, the kid in me thought "it would be so bad ass if he did the battle cry now" and yet he didn't. They completely missed an opportunity to do something that would make kids feel empowered and a part of the show.
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #259
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Lion-O has always been the main character, even in the old show it was all about him. Personally I think the new show has been great because it gave the other characters more personality and actual backstories. In the 80's cartoon the other cats sometimes functioned as little more than tools for him to use like the Sword and would have abilities that would come out of nowhere and never be used again.

I will always love the classic Thundercats but when you get right down to it even with its flaws this show is just plain better.
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #260
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofThundera View Post
Agreed. When Lion-O shows up to the pyramid and jumps for the sword and grabs it as Mummra is yelling Noooooo, the kid in me thought "it would be so bad ass if he did the battle cry now" and yet he didn't. They completely missed an opportunity to do something that would make kids feel empowered and a part of the show.
Maybe they're trying to not abuse the ThunderCats Hooo! footage, much like them trying to not abuse Mumm-Ra's transformation.
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #261
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepySariFan View Post
Maybe they're trying to not abuse the ThunderCats Hooo! footage, much like them trying to not abuse Mumm-Ra's transformation.
Only one piece of stock footage per episode, please.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #262
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
While I agree with you, when I think back to my childhood watching Voltron, Thundercats, etc.. despite those transformation scenes being in almost every single episode, I loved it and looked forward to it every time. Are today's kids that much different from when I was a kid?

Last edited by AlexofThundera; 04-10-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #263
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Are today's kids that much different from when I was a kid?
The people producing the show are, and they seem to care more about not repeating "mistakes" made by the earlier generation.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #264
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Quote:
While I agree with you, when I think back to my childhood watching Voltron, Thundercats, etc.. despite those transformation scenes being in almost every single episode, I loved it and looked forward to it every time. Are today's kids that much different from when I was a kid?
I assume that is exactly what they're trying to do, but like Alex I think they're underestimating how much kids, and adult fans, are fine with a little stock footage if it's the cool power-up scene.

Also, they could try to find a better balance. They've had him say it what? 4-5 times in 16 episodes? I would say they're not abusing it. And if any episode should have had it, it should have been this one. The king returns from the dead, saves everyone, re-asserts his authority, gets his sword back, and kicks the crap out of the big bad. He should have said the damn battle-cry.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #265
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Judging by some of the kid's shows on today (both comedy and action) I think they have a lower tolerance for stock footage than we did. Even Power Rangers has started mixing up and speeding up some of their transformations in order to hold their attention until they get to the "good part."
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #266
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
The people producing the show are, and they seem to care more about not repeating "mistakes" made by the earlier generation.
Mistakes!? Those "mistakes" are what made those shows cult cultural phenomenon!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #267
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
Judging by some of the kid's shows on today (both comedy and action) I think they have a lower tolerance for stock footage than we did. Even Power Rangers has started mixing up and speeding up some of their transformations in order to hold their attention until they get to the "good part."
I think this is a consequence of the "instant gratification" era in America. The Thundercats OS seemed to pack more story into the same amount of time as the NS plus have the bad ass intro, "transformation scenes" etc... and it seemed to move at a slower pace. The NS sometimes feels like it is very rushed and I feel like they get less accomplished in the same amount of time.

I say "America" because even the newest Japanese Animes don't feel rushed either. They seem to pack a lot of story telling into a small amount of time. Just an observation.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #268
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I thought he was going to say "sword of omens come to my hand" but it didn't happen
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #269
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Mistakes!? Those "mistakes" are what made those shows cult cultural phenomenon!
Exactly why I used quotations.

Quote:
I thought he was going to say "sword of omens come to my hand" but it didn't happen
Maybe the next stone will give him limited psycho/telekinesis?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #270
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
the last two episodes did not live up to my expectations...I love the series but I'm having problems with the writing right now....it is week!....I just wish the writing was more mature....and yes I know it's a kids show but that doesn't mean it can't be more complex.....like avatar the last airbender, that was really good storytelling and it was for kids....

Last edited by nickanu; 04-10-2012 at 12:30 PM..
nickanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #271
stormbringer
Quote:
The NS Sword doesn't seem to be anywhere near the OS swords power level.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #272
L08e16o
Quote:
No offense, but if you think it's boring to focus on Lion-o, I'm not really sure why you're watching Thundercats. There's a fair chance that even in these mystical 'character' episodes that they're doing now, they will still have a heavy focus on Lion-o, possibly a greater focus on Lion-o than the character that the episode is exploring.

I could be wrong about this, maybe these will be those once a series episodes that leave the main guy out, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
I am a lion-o fan.

My point is they will explore the other characters from the main cast.

We get to find out about the tiger clan while lion-o and tygra grow as brothers.

Last edited by L08e16o; 04-10-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #273
L08e16o
Quote:
They did say they were worried about say the Ho part.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #274
L08e16o
Quote:
First off, people can and do change their minds all the time. A statement from a year ago is not written in stone forever; it just presents a strong possibility. Especially since the statement wasn't even truly definitive. It was not a 'we will never have other cats join the team.'

That said, I assume that you're probably right for a couple of reasons, of which the statement is just one. Mostly, it just seems like a very random time to suddenly have a new character join the team.

However I, and apparently many others, just wish that this were not the case. A lot of us would LIKE to see other characters join the team. It's not because we doubt the statement, or are sure it will happen. We just hope it happens, now or sometime.
For me, I want to explore the main cast. I think if they get the second season, we will get the other cats. It seems this season is about lion-o and the others.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #275
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickanu View Post
the last two episodes did not live up to my expectations...I love the series but I'm having problems with the writing right now....it is week!....I just wish the writing was more mature....and yes I know it's a kids show but that doesn't mean it can't be more complex.....like avatar the last airbender, that was really good storytelling and it was for kids....
Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #276
OmenBill
CyberGhost
Quote:
Yeah it did suck, i mean Smurfs meets Ferngully what was James Cameron thinking?!?!
OmenBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #277
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenBill View Post
Yeah it did suck, i mean Smurfs meets Ferngully what was James Cameron thinking?!?!
At least Ferngully had Tim Curry.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #278
OmenBill
CyberGhost
Quote:
For me, I want to explore the main cast. I think if they get the second season, we will get the other cats. It seems this season is about lion-o and the others.
I kinda doubt they'll expand the main cast that much. I mean they already have what 6 or 7 main characters they have to focus on. Plus the surrounding events with these characters, and they said they wanted to give them a lot of depth. And do it with in a 20 minute episode, if not a two parter than call it 40 minute time limit.

It's a lot of writing to do and little time to put it all in, put much more and we'll end up starting to see some similarities with the short cuts done in the older series, which isn't something I see them wanting to do. I'm pretty sure the other three thundercats will be more like Jaga or Claudus, secondary characters that pop into the episodes now and then.

Last edited by OmenBill; 04-10-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #279
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
Go watch Avatar's first season and get back to me. That show had a lot of the same problems as Thundercats that got ironed out over time.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #280
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
that's YOUR opinion.....and your welcome to it....just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone going to agree with you....

the point I was trying to make is in my opinion this show needs to fix the inconsistencies in it's writing and stop being so predictable.....
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #281
L08e16o
Quote:
I kinda doubt they'll expand the main cast that much. I mean they already have what 6 or 7 main characters they have to focus on. Plus the surrounding events with these characters, and they said they wanted to give them a lot of depth. And do it with in a 20 minute episode, if not a two parter than call it 40 minute time limit.

It's a lot of writing to do and little time to put it all in, put much more and we'll end up starting to see some similarities with the short cuts done in the older series, which isn't something I see them wanting to do. I'm pretty sure the other three thundercats will be more like Jaga or Claudus, secondary characters that pop into the episodes now and then.
Don't forget they will touch on mummra and we will see leo and panthera again. Lion-o is set, he is now the awesome hero. I think they will explore each character. We still have the city kit and kat are looking for.

Only problem I had in he last episode is Jaga is appears out of the sky and no one say anything especailly cheetara.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #282
nickanu
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I think this is a consequence of the "instant gratification" era in America. The Thundercats OS seemed to pack more story into the same amount of time as the NS plus have the bad ass intro, "transformation scenes" etc... and it seemed to move at a slower pace. The NS sometimes feels like it is very rushed and I feel like they get less accomplished in the same amount of time.

I say "America" because even the newest Japanese Animes don't feel rushed either. They seem to pack a lot of story telling into a small amount of time. Just an observation.
I know what you mean...
I thing in American shows they feel they need to start a episode with a problem and end the episode with the resolution of that problem....but in anime the stretch it out over several episodes....like ending in the middle of a battle and then start the next episode right where they left off...DBZ would go 5 episode of just one fight....so you would get so much more content....I guess in America they feel we just don't have the attention span for that...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #283
OmenBill
CyberGhost
Quote:
Don't forget they will touch on mummra and we will see leo and panthera again. Lion-o is set, he is now the awesome hero. I think they will explore each character. We still have the city kit and kat are looking for.

Only problem I had in he last episode is Jaga is appears out of the sky and no one say anything especailly cheetara.
I was kinda counting Mumm-ra in that 7 number, 6 thundercats if I remember correctly. Lion-O isn't set yet, sure he passed the trials and made Mumm-ra run away like a sissy girl in that last episode, but I'm sure he's got a few more thing's he'll have to overcome still, same with the rest. As for Leo, we saw him through Lion-O's actions, so I don't know if I can place him as an important character. Since he's really just Lion-O still, with longer hair. Unless they show him with out Lion-O acting as him he really isn't his own characer. I kinda thought Panthera was just sort of there, sort of a support pillar for him (similar to how I saw Cheetara in the beginning) and planner for the rebellion not sure how she'd get much more screen or story time in, if she even survived that crash at the end.

I'm hoping the show does touch on that city again, the Wily's made it sound really important (and interesting to me) in that first episode then I can't remember hearing them talk about it afterwords, it just kinda disapeared with Lion-O's love of technology.

As for Jaga appearing, Cheetara knew clerics could some how force ghost it????....... I dunno if it isn't touched on in the next episode it's just one more thing we can tack on to the category "Things the Writers don't know how to write."

Last edited by OmenBill; 04-10-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #284
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
that's YOUR opinion.....and your welcome to it....just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone going to agree with you....
I was partly joking, but I am sick of everyone using Avatar as the prime example of cartoon storytelling when it's not a show for everyone. It goes without saying that the character designs hadn't been even remotely great until Korra came along.

Quote:
the point I was trying to make is in my opinion this show needs to fix the inconsistencies in it's writing and stop being so predictable.....
The writing is well within the same grade as Transformers Animated, and people have deep seated feelings for that show. Sure, not every episode is going to be a masterpiece, but, we're 16 episodes in and we're practically in the process of fleshing out a new chunk of the setting every episode. It doesn't deserve this kind of slander. Not from you, not from 4chan, not from anyone.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #285
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
As for Jaga appearing, Cheetara knew clerics could some how force ghost it????....... I dunno if it isn't touched on in the next episode it's just one more thing we can tack on to the category "Things the Writers don't know how to write."
Or they really weren't all that shocked to see Jaga in his astral form after he already kinda was that in Mumm-Ra's fragile little looking glass?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #286
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Go watch Avatar's first season and get back to me. That show had a lot of the same problems as Thundercats that got ironed out over time.
I had enough trouble getting through 5 episodes. I was dead set on giving that series a chance. By Thundera, I hate Nickelodeon.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #287
Singe
Thunderian Commoner
Going back to the love triangle in Season 1, I forgot about Panthera.

Lion-O had an attraction for her during the love triangle. So he'll easily fall for another girl.

Lion-O getting the signals mixed up with Cheetara could have had a basis from his experience with Panthera.
Singe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #288
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
I don't know why everyone thinks we're going to see Leo and Panthera again, where are they getting this information?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #289
cmangund
Hardcore Lion-O + L/C Fan
Quote:

When MJ said that, the first 26 EPs were done practically speaking, so IMO the first 26 Eps will indeed explore on the main casts more. Should they decide for Pumyra to join a more "recurring guess star role" it will happen after EP26.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #290
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I don't know why everyone thinks we're going to see Leo and Panthera again, where are they getting this information?
One of the interviews said we're getting some more flashbacks to that era, I think.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #291
cmangund
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
The NS Sword doesn't seem to be anywhere near the OS swords power level.
Not a problem though for the current Mumm-ra's "current level of patheticness"

Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #292
Eclipse
Witch Doctor
Quote:
And then they make out.
And the fangirls go crazy
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #293
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangund View Post
Not a problem though for the current Mumm-ra's "current level of patheticness"

Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #294
cmangund
Quote:
Maybe Mumm-ra better call on the ancient spirits of evil for a power boost. Even Ma-mutt would be helpful at this point!
Mumm-ra: Darn! the ancient spirits of evil is a definite no go nowdays! I will have to call the ancient spirits of Ma-mutt!

Last edited by cmangund; 04-10-2012 at 06:27 PM..
cmangund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #295
stormbringer
Quote:
Mumm-ra: Darn! the ancient spirits of evil is a definite no go nowdays! I will have to call the ancient spirits of Ma-mutt!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #296
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
That depends how you define this season. According to Cartoon Network it is the second season.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #297
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I was partly joking, but I am sick of everyone using Avatar as the prime example of cartoon storytelling when it's not a show for everyone. It goes without saying that the character designs hadn't been even remotely great until Korra came along.

The writing is well within the same grade as Transformers Animated, and people have deep seated feelings for that show. Sure, not every episode is going to be a masterpiece, but, we're 16 episodes in and we're practically in the process of fleshing out a new chunk of the setting every episode. It doesn't deserve this kind of slander. Not from you, not from 4chan, not from anyone.
You seem to have a lot of minority opinions. Those opinions are entirely valid, but you kind of act like anyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong. Avatar is held up as the prime example of cartoon storytelling because for a LOT of people, it is. Also, it had a serialized story with a beginning, middle, and end, which directly relates to what they're trying to do here.

Secondly, I've never seen transformers animated (though I am a huge Transformers fan and have seen almost everything else), but if it had this level of writing, I may not watch it ever, since there are numerous other transformers shows to watch.

There is a reason people keep saying this show has bad writing. Because, to most people, it does. People don't just randomly attack the writing, and this isn't one or two people. People everywhere, from random fans to professional critics, constantly cite the bad writing. That is not a conspiracy, it is the honest feelings of most of the people that watch this show. The show has great animation, a fascinating setting, characters that we love (although I'm not enamored with some of the NS directions they've gone), but it's writing is NOT up to par.

Last edited by KaleRylan; 04-10-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #298
cmangund
Quote:
That depends how you define this season. According to Cartoon Network it is the second season.
The actual Season from WB is Season 1 for the first 26 Episodes, Cartoon Network splits them into two 13 Episodes per Season instead.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #299
cmangund
Quote:
Maybe he can summon the Lunatacs,of course they'd probably stab him in the back themselves...
Unless Jelenic will "stab" the Lunatacs from the back too.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #300
KaleRylan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
The actual Season from WB is Season 1 for the first 26 Episodes, Cartoon Network splits them into two 13 Episodes per Season instead.