TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Steelgrave
Ho!
Just wondering what will happen to this site if the new show & toy line don't go over too well? Most of the new toy lines have been bombing lately like Indiana Jones, Avatar, Star Trek, Prince Of Persia & GI Joe Rise Of Cobra. And possibly Tron & Iron Man 2.

We're talking about Cartoon Network & Bandai here. CN usually puts the cool shows on at stupid times like 5:30am when nobody can watch them. And Bandai doesn't make the greatest figures. Look what happened to Kamen Rider. I picked them up for $2 each at Walmart. They couldn't even move them at that price.

Just something I was thinking about. I don't have much faith in the new show or toy line. But I hope they prove me wrong.
Steelgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
i think this new line of figures and cartoon will do very well fans have waited a very long time for this they will embrace it ..
Dawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Dr. Grim
Lightning Dog
If it bombs then it'll result in me crying into my pillow locked in my bedroom. No biggums.
Dr. Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
If they bomb, we quickly become a classic figure oriented site, for the proud and few that are left
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg99 View Post
i think this new line of figures and cartoon will do very well fans have waited a very long time for this they will embrace it ..
I'm a huge fan & so far I don't like the new character designs or the figures. Hopefully I'm in the minority.

The biggest problem for me is they totally screwed up Cheetara. BIG mistake! The original Cheetara is drop dead gorgeous, this new version is hideous.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelgrave View Post
I'm a huge fan & so far I don't like the new character designs or the figures. Hopefully I'm in the minority.

The biggest problem for me is they totally screwed up Cheetara. BIG mistake! The original Cheetara is drop dead gorgeous, this new version is hideous.
yes i would have to agree as well about Cheetara.. i just hope the figures turn out good so far the 8 inch classics line looks good
Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Sabien
On the loose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Bacala View Post
If they bomb, we quickly become a classic figure oriented site, for the proud and few that are left
Either way, we win!
Sabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Dawg99
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Bacala View Post
That's great news either way
i think this site will be just fine
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Cheetara
Thunder Kitty
All toy lines are suffering nowadays because kids are more into video games. if the product is good they have a chance... and if collectors embrace the new brand and dont wait for everything to hit clearance.
Cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Shishard
Mountain Cat
If it bombs I say we become fans of some other 80s toys like Transformers or GI Joe.....wait never mind .

Seriously though, I say we keep hope alive and truck through it, all the other sites ie hisstank and toy ark are killer so why not hang here as well.
Shishard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
All the toy lines you mentioned are movie tie-ins. There's a big difference between a movie tie-in and an ongoing series. Access, exposure, and time all work in the ongoing series favor and against a movie lines.

Comparing against Transformers, Spiderman, and DCUC are more apt, and all of them have shown legs. The show is also going to have a fairly strong nostaligic angle that will also help fuel the early waves.

Even if you're recall the 200X He-man series did very well at launch, it wasn't until Mattel did their usual screw ups and CN started playing timeslot roulette that it faltered. It wasn't one or the other, but both. Hopefully Bandai and CN will work together and get the show and the toys out in close to sync with each other.

Thundercats I'm sure will do very well well. Ask again when season 2 is wrapping up.

Oh, and I agree, I don't like the Cheetara redesign.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
JohnnyAngel77
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

If nothing else, enjoy the Classics line.
JohnnyAngel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Pink Panthro
Your costume, is SO tacky
Yeah, I don't see the sight getting any problems,and I don't think the toys will do half bad either. I mean the collectors are hungry for new toys, and your really dont see well made toys from cartoons anymore...these look pretty sweet. it was a good move flashing the thundertank imo.
Pink Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
Steelgrave
Ho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAngel77 View Post
Definitely! Now those I can get into.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Snarfer
Thunder Kitty
I have a strange feeling that the kids are going to like it, and that's all that really matters to the cartoon creators and toy makers anyhow.
Snarfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Hammerhand
Thunder Kitty
If it bombs...well we could be faced with another drought of no TC stuff. But I think it'll be mildly successful, if not really successful.
Hammerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Reeds
Thunderan Q-Wing Pilot
If we had a reboot every few years like TF/Joes, I could see this new series having a chance at failing. The toys would end up on Target clearance quickly and in two years they'd be back in a new form CG/Anime/Brave and Bold style or something with a new twist on the mythos. That could happen in later incarnations of the TCats as the franchise re-establishes itself over time, but this show is more about having anything or celebrating TCats as a whole than it is about this particular reimagining itself. Or so that's what I hope.
Reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #18
gijoe071681
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

.....We're talking about Cartoon Network & Bandai here. CN usually puts the cool shows on at stupid times like 5:30am when nobody can watch them. And Bandai doesn't make the greatest figures......
This combo seems to be working pretty well for Ben 10 so the new show and line might have a shot
gijoe071681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
MegaPrime33
Thunder Kitty
It seems like they're spending an awful lot of money in creating several different toy lines, more than one company is making stuff about Thundercats, that they all must have some faith that the show will be a success.
MegaPrime33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
solo0525
Undead
Means toys will be on clearance !!
solo0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
BLACK SWAN
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAngel77 View Post
Yup. I hoping it last a good loong while .
BLACK SWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
Bravestarr
Banned
If it bombs then eventually it will only make my TC stuff more valuable in the niche market.
Bravestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
Pathro
The Black Panthro
I admit I'm a little worried because the He-Man reboot was AWESOME. Both the toys and TV show were way ahead of the original series. HE-MAN had stellar ratings but poor Toy sales. ..which I'm fairly sure will be the situation here... kids really don't buy action figures any more. Hopefully this show will be needed for more than just selling toys.

I think the site will stick around but we'll just be talking about how angry we are the show died.
Pathro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
LionO84
Thunder Kitty
Well action figures dont sell like they used to any more. And thats thanks to all that crap from the 80-90's where parents complained that cartoons were all nothing but extended toy ads that then were followed by the real to ads..WHO CARES??? I Mean really, you say "no" and move on. I wanna see toy ads on tv like how they used to be. I hope this show and toyline does good, Seeing as how G.I. JOE and TF are doing so well right now TC shouldn't get canned like the new He-Man did. Also while the new He-Man toyline stopped they still make the Classics.
LionO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionO84 View Post
Well action figures dont sell like they used to any more. And thats thanks to all that crap from the 80-90's where parents complained that cartoons were all nothing but extended toy ads that then were followed by the real to ads..WHO CARES??? I Mean really, you say "no" and move on. I wanna see toy ads on tv like how they used to be. I hope this show and toyline does good, Seeing as how G.I. JOE and TF are doing so well right now TC shouldn't get canned like the new He-Man did. Also while the new He-Man toyline stopped they still make the Classics.
I agree, DOWN WITH BULLSHIT AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!

I think the cartoon has potential to do well, it LOOKS great so far, and the toys, while I may not be collecting the 4 and 6" figures, the 8" ones look great. Bear in mind there was ample opportunity for Bandai USA to ruin this but so far, they are doing it rather well, and I am VERY impressed.

No matter what, this new show and toyline will probably get the attention of old-school Thundercats fans, and new stuff for them is GOOD. Why the fuck not? I'm glad Bandai USA made the decision to cater to the collector's market.
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #26
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathro View Post
Both the toys and TV show were way ahead of the original series. HE-MAN had stellar ratings but poor Toy sales. ..which I'm fairly sure will be the situation here... kids really don't buy action figures any more. Hopefully this show will be needed for more than just selling toys.
They had poor toy sales because of atrocious case assortments.

Some examples of actual case assortments, not hyperbole:

4x Smash Blade He-Man, 1x Orko - Heroic Court Magician, and 1x Teela - Heroic Captain of the Guard.

4x Spin Blade Skeletor, 1x Trapjaw - Evil Mechanical Menace, and 1x Tri-Klops - Evil Three-Eyed Villain.

This was after the line hit it's initial success and the figures were selling, then those two cases appeared and clogged the shelves. Smash Blade He-man and Spin Blade Skeletor would also be in the next wave, though not at 4 per case, but still it would add to the dozens on the shelves everywhere. Eventually it's all you could find at any store as they became pegs of nothing but those two figures and that killed it at mass market.

Mattel apologized and fixed their case assorments at the end, but by then it was way too late, no vender bought them (in fact, they worked out a deal with He-man.org to sell cases of fixed assortments to the fans), and the line died because of poor case assortments.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 02-10-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #27
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
I think it'll do ok. I'll wait till I see the toys in my hands and the cartoon on the air before making any declarations.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #28
Superquad7
Thundercats, HO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo0525 View Post
Means toys will be on clearance !!
. . . . and that I might actually be able to get a few, haha!

Regardless of box office success or runaway toy sales, peeps should just have fun!
Superquad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
If it fails, we'll all be disappointed and probably relive what happened with He-Man 2K2 again. Still enjoy the ride, but wish it lasted longer.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #30
Bujo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Just wondering what will happen to this site if the new show & toy line don't go over too well? Most of the new toy lines have been bombing lately like Indiana Jones, Avatar, Star Trek, Prince Of Persia & GI Joe Rise Of Cobra. And possibly Tron & Iron Man 2.

We're talking about Cartoon Network & Bandai here. CN usually puts the cool shows on at stupid times like 5:30am when nobody can watch them. And Bandai doesn't make the greatest figures. Look what happened to Kamen Rider. I picked them up for $2 each at Walmart. They couldn't even move them at that price.

Just something I was thinking about. I don't have much faith in the new show or toy line. But I hope they prove me wrong.
I guess you've never heard of something called "Ben 10". It's a cartoon that started in 2005, and here six years later it's still going strong.

They made a couple toys for the show too. Take a look. I know there aren't very any, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_10_(toy_line)

Bujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #31
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujo View Post
I guess you've never heard of something called "Ben 10". It's a cartoon that started in 2005, and here six years later it's still going strong.

They made a couple toys for the show too. Take a look. I know there aren't very any, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_10_(toy_line)

You do realize Cartoon Network actually produces Ben 10, right? They treat their home grown properties very differently than one produced by other studios. Cartoon Network has always given preferential time slots to their own shows so that they garner the most exposure. Cartoon Network pulls in a ton of money from Ben 10 as they get a huge chunk of the ad revenue profits.

With Thundercats, that chunk is going to be much smaller as CN isn't the production company. Meaning they have to split the ad revenue money with the production company and Warner Brothers. So you can be sure that Thundercats will never get a truly desirable time slot beyond the initial few episodes, or maybe the first season at most. Same thing they've done for countless other shows.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
trebleshot
Sight Beyond Sight
^ Exactly. Just being on CN with toys by Bandai is no guarantee of success.

I still hope it blows Ben 10 out of the water, though.
trebleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #33
Bujo
Thunder Kitty
You mean like Star Wars Clone Wars? That show got shafted. Lousy time slot. No commercial support. No toy line.

Or Venture Brothers that show should have lasted longer. But it got screwed too.

And Robot Chicken. That show was well ahead of its time. No wonder it was cancelled so quickly.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #34
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
You mean like Star Wars Clone Wars? That show got shafted. Lousy time slot. No commercial support. No toy line.

Or Venture Brothers that show should have lasted longer. But it got screwed too.

And Robot Chicken. That show was well ahead of its time. No wonder it was cancelled so quickly.
Two of the three are produced by Cartoon Network. The other is Star Wars. I've been following that stuff for a long time now, I've seen how the network handles third party produced shows more often than not over the years.

I get it, you've got a thing for Cartoon Network. But continually citing shows without even the most basic research or ignoring the common problems the network has is just going to get you laughed off.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #35
Michael'O
Thunder Kitty
I think everyone is doing a Chicken Little here and for no good reason, relax and enjoy the ride, what will be the telling factor is if the kids can get behind the toys and to be honest they may not get behind the classics but I am sure they will get behind the new stuff, so I think the Classic Line may get picked up as an online exclusive the same way He-Man did, however the new stuff will sell fine.

I also think the Cartoon will do good as well, look at Ben 10 & Clone Wars & Generator Rex, these programs are really cool and interesting to not only younger folk but adults as well - do you think in reality that the Thundercats ain't going to be the same, I don't think they are going to all this effort to fail, believe me I think this will bring in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe when they see how successful the market for Thundercats is as well. And to be honest I think what also killed the line for MOTU is the fact kids can more easily play with 4" figures than they can 6" figures, seeing vehicles and playsets are a lot easier to make for them.
Michael'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #36
docfairday
Thunder Kitty
If it bombs then Target will have a decent clearance price on the left overs including the more expensive playsets.

It's a hard call I think those of us who grew up in the 80s with the Original Thundercats will be very dissappointed. I have seen this dissappointment with so many other reincarnations of old lines for example:
Hasbro was on a huge upside in sales with the GI Joe 25th line that they continued the line into what was cllaed Modern Era but then they released the horrible GI Joe movie which flooded and drowned not only the market but fire in many nastolgic collectors who were reliving their youth by buying updated figures of their childhood. The new POC line has promise as Hasbro is releasing modern version of several classic figures (Crazy Legs, Steel Brigade, Lowlight) The new Renegades cartoon does for the original cartoon what ROC did for the entire Joe verse... rewrites history. Because of low sales with Joes many Walmarts are not even carrying the merchandise.

He-man 200x was horrible in my opinion and if it wasn't for the release of the classic cartoons on dvd and the new MOTUC line I wonder if the fan base would be as strong as it is.

Then there is the constant 2 sided debate of OT and prequels in the Star Wars community. However all SW products seem to sell as SW has been able to stick to the plot and bridge generational gaps by acknowledginng the original and marketing to today's generation.

I think the success of this venture will come down to one of two things.
1. Marketing to children by airing the new series during waking nonschool hours of kids (3 PM-8PM)
2. Marketing to adults by taking on the original story lines but being able to present them in a modern way.

But in no way am I a marketing genius or a TV producer so I may be way off the mark and by this time next year this site will be as popular as sister sites Hisstank and the transformer one.
docfairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #37
trebleshot
Sight Beyond Sight
Quote:
No toy line....you're joking, right?

So you're saying there is/was no toy line based on Clone Wars? When was the last time you were even IN a toy department? At least half of the mainline SW figures I see on the pegs are CW figures.

And as far as I know, it's still airing on CN. Personally, I'm just buying the series DVDs when they get released. So how is that show getting shafted, exactly?

Quote:
Again, not cancelled. It completed its fourth season and is currently on hiatus. Jackson Publick mentioned they were working on season 5 but that's all that's been said so far.

Quote:
Robot Chicken is currently airing its 5th season on CN's Adult Swim as of this writing. Not exactly what I would call "cancelled." RC also has a toy line available at TRU right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
I get it, you've got a thing for Cartoon Network. But continually citing shows without even the most basic research or ignoring the common problems the network has is just going to get you laughed off.
Listen to Joe, Bujo.
trebleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #38
Steevy Maximus
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
You do realize Cartoon Network actually produces Ben 10, right? They treat their home grown properties very differently than one produced by other studios. Cartoon Network has always given preferential time slots to their own shows so that they garner the most exposure. Cartoon Network pulls in a ton of money from Ben 10 as they get a huge chunk of the ad revenue profits.

With Thundercats, that chunk is going to be much smaller as CN isn't the production company. Meaning they have to split the ad revenue money with the production company and Warner Brothers. So you can be sure that Thundercats will never get a truly desirable time slot beyond the initial few episodes, or maybe the first season at most. Same thing they've done for countless other shows.
Umm...what?
Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner, the same parent company of Warner Brothers and DC Comics.

Thundercats is, effectively, a Cartoon Network production, just like Young Justice or any of the other DC comics cartoons.
Steevy Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #39
WinterSoldier
Thunder Kitty
I have been a TCats fan my whole life and it is my fav cartoon of all time.

And i personally love how the new show looks so far, character designs and all.

The new toy line also has me VERY happy and i cant wait to pick up a few figures!!!
WinterSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #40
Bujo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebleshot View Post
No toy line....you're joking, right?

So you're saying there is/was no toy line based on Clone Wars? When was the last time you were even IN a toy department? At least half of the mainline SW figures I see on the pegs are CW figures.

And as far as I know, it's still airing on CN. Personally, I'm just buying the series DVDs when they get released. So how is that show getting shafted, exactly?

Again, not cancelled. It completed its fourth season and is currently on hiatus. Jackson Publick mentioned they were working on season 5 but that's all that's been said so far.

Robot Chicken is currently airing its 5th season on CN's Adult Swim as of this writing. Not exactly what I would call "cancelled." RC also has a toy line available at TRU right now.

Listen to Joe, Bujo.
I take it they don't teach literature in high school any more? This lack of sarcasm/satire font is killing me.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #41
Sportsandstuff
Thunder Kitty
I hope it doesnt bomb but if it does we always have the classic line
Sportsandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #42
Joe Moore
Administrator
It has gotten a very warm reception from the older crowd. Now it's up to the kids. Let's just hope they take a liking to the show and toys. I'd hate this to be a "one and done" show and line. It's so hard to tell what kids will gravitate too toy wise. So if you're a parent, buy your kids some Thundercats.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #43
Superquad7
Thundercats, HO!
Quote:
It has gotten a very warm reception from the older crowd. Now it's up to the kids. Let's just hope they take a liking to the show and toys. I'd hate this to be a "one and done" show and line. It's so hard to tell what kids will gravitate too toy wise. So if you're a parent, buy your kids some Thundercats.
I know that back in the day, that's why I wasn't allowed to have any TC toys. Joes and TFs were cool because they had perceived longevity, so I was allowed to have those. Things like TC was always perceived as a "fad", so after a little bit of "hey, I want some TC toys" met with "no", I just gave up.

I always watched the show, though. Hopefully what you've said will happen, Joe
Superquad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #44
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superquad7 View Post
I know that back in the day, that's why I wasn't allowed to have any TC toys. Joes and TFs were cool because they had perceived longevity, so I was allowed to have those. Things like TC was always perceived as a "fad", so after a little bit of "hey, I want some TC toys" met with "no", I just gave up.

I always watched the show, though. Hopefully what you've said will happen, Joe
I have four nephews. Two of them will be the perfect age for the toys when it launches this summer. So I'll be feeding them steady helpings of Thundercats (like I already do with Transformers).