TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > WilyKit's Corner - Thundercats Creative > Thundercats Customs Projects

Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
The Sword Bearer
Thunder Kitty
Hi all,

Here we have my Sword of Omens in it's short, dagger form, lovingly modeled to be as cartoon accurate as possible.

The hilt was acquired from a prop maker several years ago, it was his last ever mold, so I feel very lucky to have been able to get my hands on it.

The sword is made from a mixture of resin(hilt) and plexiglass/bondo(blade). The Eye of Thundera was created from some plastic door knobs I found at a local hardware store. I couldn't have been luckier with the sizing of them. The sword was then painted with a metal-look paint for the hilt, and a deep white for the blade.

Hope you like it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5294.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	402

Last edited by The Sword Bearer; 07-24-2011 at 12:00 PM..
The Sword Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
ragmanrag
Thunder Kitty
this is one of the best representations of the short form dagger i have EVER SEEN! Excellent work here! I love the fact that you went for the cartoon look, its SUPERB!

Thanks for sharing

Rag, PS( please make a long sword form in the 80's look)
ragmanrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
Can you make one for me? How much? Would you do it for figures? What's it like being that awsome?
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I was just wondering, I see a few people asking to purchase one of these as I would like to as well. Is there anyway you could do a cast of it so that you could reproduce them. I saw that you said it was the last cast of that hilt, so this would have to be something you did an entire cast of. I'd love to own one, so please let me know.
rchrz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
The Sword Bearer
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrz60 View Post
I saw that you said it was the last cast of that hilt, so this would have to be something you did an entire cast of.
Hi,

It wasn't myself who produced them i'm afraid. As I said, I got it from a prop maker who told me that it was his last copy.

I've absolutely no idea how I would go about duplicating this, I remember looking into it a while back and it seemed to be quite a messy process.

That being said, it IS something I would be willing to do if there was a fairly easy way, as I feel that more Thundercats fans should be able to own something like this. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject i'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Do you happen to be a member of the Replica Prop Forum (TheRPF.com) There are a ton of people on there that do stuff like this all the time. I'm sure they would know an easy way to cast it without damaging your current sword. I'm trying to remember the technique to coat the model before casting so that the casting material doesn't actually stick to teh model, just captures it's shape, or raised details.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
That sword was created by genpropz, whom I use to be friends with, havent talked to him in ages sadly, great guy. His original sword was all silver with a flat eye when he first sold them, and I suggested the blade be white when he made batch 2, and it highly improved it. Ahhh the small things you remember from 1999........
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
The Sword Bearer
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregermeister View Post
That sword was created by genpropz, whom I use to be friends with, havent talked to him in ages sadly, great guy. His original sword was all silver with a flat eye when he first sold them, and I suggested the blade be white when he made batch 2, and it highly improved it. Ahhh the small things you remember from 1999........
Jason?

I was thinking of trying to get back in touch with him, would probably be the easiest way of getting more of these made, unlikely though. I just don't understand why he didn't advertise these on Thundercats forums at the time, he would have made a killing.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
Gosh its been so long, I believe it was Jason though, I could be wrong, im terrible at names. I believe I still have his proto sculpt photos somewhere in my archives as I was THAT blown away by his work. At the time there werent many quality thundercats sites. Most Thundercats sites are terrible to be honest lol.
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
Well we need to figure something out, cause I'm dying for one of my own. My kids and I play with the lightsabers around the house and outside, and they love it. They also love Thundercats now, so I'd love to get my hands on a couple of these.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
Raithan
Thunder Kitty
I have been looking into making a replica Classic Sword of Omen's Dagger and Sword when i came across this thread on the net. I am open to possibly making kits if i am able to get successfull molds made and is not cost/time prohibitive.

What would be beneficial though would be some measurements of The Sword Bearers SoO dagger. That would help me immensely on figuring out dimensions for starting the sculpting process.

Just a general question as i have never made a prop to sell before how much would you guys pay for a quality replica in Resin. Finished and unfinished (Kit Form). I may also consider doing a cold cast resin which adds metal powder to the resin giving it a natural look of metal without paint for additional expense of materials and time.

If people still interested in this please let me know.
Raithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
At least 50 thunder dollars.
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote