TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
NIBMRatchet
Transformers, Baby!
The latest Thundercats (2011) episode is a treat to the fans of the original series. Two famous characters from 1984 returned; Monkain and Jackalm… wait- no they are not. Addicus and Kaynar you say!?!

So I decided to dig a little bit about what happened to the two trademarks.

Amazingly enough, Warner Bros. have not applied for the rights. In fact they have only applied for the title “Thundercats” so far. Terms “Monkain” and “Jackalman” and all other names from the series is still Cancelled since 1986 with Telepictures Corporation as the last owner. However, since Warner Bros. have acquired Telepictures Corporation, this is not a big issue. But the question still stands, Why not apply for the trademark?

Those who are with the Transformers Franchise knows full well, how Hasbro actively try to protect each and every new and old trademark. And yet here we see popular trademarks like Lion-O abandoned since 1986.

If you want to take a look at the original Trademark documents for Monkain and Jackalman, below are the links:

Monkain

Jackalman
NIBMRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Interesting. You think that with the new show they would have gone trademark crazy. If not for Monkian and Jackalman, than at least for Lion-O, Tygra, Panthro, etc...

As for why the updates to both Monkian and Jackalman have new names, it was because the terms "Monkian" and "Jackalman" are more for their species, and they wanted to give them actual names for the new show. I love that they still referred to them as a Monkian and Jackalman at least once so far. Keeps the connection to the old, while introducing their new names.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I love that they still referred to them as a Monkian and Jackalman at least once so far. Keeps the connection to the old, while introducing their new names.
YES!!! I was pleasantly surprised. Very cool. good job CN!
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCat View Post
YES!!! I was pleasantly surprised. Very cool. good job WB!
Fixed. Cartoon Network is the network airing the show, but last I knew they had nothing to do with the actual making of it. That's all Warner Brothers's doing.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
Fixed. Cartoon Network is the network airing the show, but last I knew they had nothing to do with the actual making of it. That's all Warner Brothers's doing.
Ok, but either way. I'm. Ad the recognized thier true identities.
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote