TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Lord of Cragsclaw
Thunder Kitty
Have you ever been curious as to a Thundarian history before their apocalyptic holocaust? I have, and I remember when I was a kid reading a series which seemed to me to fulfill, to an extent at least, some of the backstory for the Thundarians, a backstory which seems to fit nicely with the current reboot.

The series is the Guardians of the Three, created by Bill Fawcett, answered this need when I was a kid. The series has absolutely nothing to do with Thundercats, except that it is about a humanoid cat-like people called mrem. For me, I could envision Fawcett’s mrem as the ancestors to the Thundarians. Maybe others would be interested in this series? Here the synopsis for the first book: Lord of Cragsclaw:

For years, the land of Ar has lived at peace. Here, the catlike mrem rule by duty and honor. Now, from out of the east, their legendary enemies have risen again, sweeping toward Ar to begin their conquest anew.

Suspected because of his dark fur and magical abilities, Talwe is outcast by his village and sentenced to service in the White Dancer’s guard. When he rescues the beautiful Princess Sruss, heir to the throne of Ar, he finds himself caught at the center of court intrigue. For as murderous traitors seek to usurp the throne, the ancient Eastern Lords invade with their arsenal of evil sorcery. Only Talwe, Sruss, and the mysterious Council of the Three command the magic necessary to defend the vital border post of Cragsclaw from the power of the Eastern Lords- a deadly force more potent then any mrem have ever seen.

Last edited by Lord of Cragsclaw; 08-11-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Lord of Cragsclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
There's the 31st Super Sentai series, which is what Power Rangers is based on. It's called Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger. It aired in Japan from 2007-2008. The three basic rangers had wildcat motifs. The red ranger had a tiger motif, the yellow ranger had a cheetah motif, and the blue ranger had a jaguar motif.

I know this is has little to do with Thundercats, but still.
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Lord of Cragsclaw
Thunder Kitty
Thanks HJ! Ill look into that! I was never into Power Rangers before but am looking them up now!

Another great Sci-Fi cat series is C. J. Cherryh's Chanur novels. I discovered and read this series just after I read the Guardians of the Three series, and this was a few years after watching the Thundercats. It seemed maybe the Thundercats may have inspired other authors into their own cat-like peoples and stories.

In the Chanur novels, the cat-like Hani have entered into intersteller space trade as allies of the ape like Mehendo'sat. Cherryh, who is famous for her sci-fi Alliance-Union universe, is famous for attention to detail having given the Hani an in-depth history, compleat with modern day social conflicts including gender roles and sterotypes. She has set the Chanur series in the same universe as her Alliance-Union, though at a somewhat distant section of the galaxy.

I do highly recommend

Last edited by Lord of Cragsclaw; 08-14-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Lord of Cragsclaw is offline   Reply With Quote