TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Mummra
Thunder Kitty
Warner is going to re-release ThunderCats: The Original Series starting July 12, 2011.

-New "lighter" 2 disc set
-Each Volume will contain 12 episodes (5 volumes per season)
-MSRP: 19.95
-"Feel the Magic, Hear the Roar: ThunderCats Fans Speak Out" featurette from the 2005 set is included

Quote:
Springing into action: the first animated adventures of the feline-inspired fantasy! A noble band of survivors from the peaceful world of Thundera bravely faces off against vicious mutants intent on destroying them. Make way for exotic creatures, mystical powers and action-packed battles of good versus evil in the exciting saga of the Thundercats!

In these first-season adventures - 12 Episodes on 2 Discs - from the dynamic animated series, the Thundercats adopt Third Earth as their new home and encounter alien beings galore...some friendly, some looking for a fight! And while they brave their strange surroundings, their young leader Lion-O struggles with his new responsibilities as head of their foundling civilization. Crash with these cats for Over 4 Hours of Classic Cartoon Thrills!
Thundercats - The Original Series: Season 1, Part 1

EPISODES:
• Exodus
• The Unholy Alliance
• Berbils
• The Slaves of Castle Plun-Darr
• Pumm-Ra
• The Terror of Hammerhand
• Trouble with Time
• The Tower of Traps
• The Garden of Delights
• Mandora the Evil Chaser
• The Ghost Warrior
• The Doomgaze

Source: Thundercats DVD news: Announcement for Thundercats - The Original Series: Season 1, Part 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
Mummra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
Oh that's awesome!
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Joe Moore
Administrator
Nice find. Moved to the news forum and frontpaged.
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Joe Moore
Administrator
So, anyone taking the plunge on these? I think I'm going to skip due to being the same as the original releases. If they were being remastered in any way, then I'd buy them immediately.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
netkid
Sun. Surf. Espionage.
Hey Warner, FINISH SILVERHAWKS!

Last edited by netkid; 03-31-2011 at 12:28 PM..
netkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
irishtygra
Thunder Kitty
they should release it on blu-ray
irishtygra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtygra View Post
they should release it on blu-ray
Unfortunately, they can't. The original film masters for Thundercats weren't used to create the DVD's. They were either missing, destroyed, too damaged, or for another reason. They used the video tape masters that were used on broadcast TV.

Film (35MM, 70MM, 17MM) can hold far more visual information than even blu-ray. Most older titles transferred to blu-ray are actually scanned at 2K or even 4K resolution and then down sampled to 1080P. Video tape has a maximum output resolution of 480i. That means the tape holds 320x240 lines of resolution that is then interlaced to give it a 640x480 resolution, aka broadcast TV quality.

So if they tried to take their current transfers and put them on blu-ray, it would be very poor quality result. Here's a quick comparison.

Click on the attachments to see the full sized versions.

As you can see, the regular Thundercats DVD screen cap is already poor quality due to the source. It sports a lot of artifacting, color banding and video tape noise. Upscaling it to HD, which is all they can do right now, only amplifies those problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Resolutions.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	257Click image for larger version

Name:	Thundercats HD Upscale.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	258Click image for larger version

Name:	Thundercats SD.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	259Click image for larger version

Name:	Thundercats compare.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	260
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Definitely awesome news. Re-mastering them would have been cool, but no biggy. They should look just fine on my TV (20" oldschool flatscreen, as in the screen is flat, but the TV itself is still big).

Though I'm not sure if I'll get them as they come out, or wait for them to do a big boxset (it's what I'm doing with the Ultimate editions of the Harry Potter movies).
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Blade Raider
Thunder Kitty
Surprised my Hisstank/TFW/Toyark didn't work here...

Anyways, this is a rip-off. It's the same discs in a new box. The original box sets, which are still in print I beleive, go for $20 each (though one is still $50 on Amazon for some reason). These sets aren't hard to find online either (and Walmart still carries S1P1 here). That's 30+ episodes per set for the same price as this new set that only has 12 episodes.

If it had new extras or was remastered (and had chapter breaks. My pet peeve) it would be different, but these are reprints for the original price when the originals don't sell for even that. This here is a rip-off.
Blade Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was thinking about this, and if they stick to the twelve episodes per volume, five volumes per season, what are they going to do with the last ten episodes?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
GK Punk
Your Straight Edge Savior
Found volume 1 at Target today for 15 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-19_18.55.52.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	401

Last edited by GK Punk; 07-19-2011 at 11:01 PM..
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK Punk View Post
Good to know it's out and about now. Saw the listing for it on Target's website. Will definitely have to pick it up the first chance I get. Although, I might wait and get a figure or two at the same time.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Joe Moore
Administrator
I would say avoid this set at all costs. The original sets aren't all that expensive still. You'll wind up spending more in the long run buying these small volumes.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
I would say avoid this set at all costs. The original sets aren't all that expensive still. You'll wind up spending more in the long run buying these small volumes.
Any idea if any brick-and-mortar stores still carry them? (if I can get something in-person, I will). I saw the first set at Walmart like twice, but haven't seen it there since (sorta regret not getting it when I had the chance).

Part of me wants to wait and see if they eventually release a full series box-set at some point. Would probably be a little pricey, but it'd be nice to get the entire show in one package.

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 07-20-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
Any idea if any brick-and-mortar stores still carry them? (if I can get something in-person, I will). I saw the first set at Walmart like twice, but haven't seen it there since (sorta regret not getting it when I had the chance).

Part of me wants to wait and see if they eventually release a full series box-set at some point. Would probably be a little pricey, but it'd be nice to get the entire show in one package.
I haven't really looked at the DVD section in stores in a long, long time. But, even looking at Google shopping, the sets are very affordable.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
MannE
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by netkid View Post
Hey Warner, FINISH SILVERHAWKS!
Damn right!!
MannE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
MannE
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK Punk View Post
Any idea if the pilot ep, Exodus, is flawless?? There are quality issues with the picture here and there with the 1st dvd released set. Most notably a scene with young Lion-O and Jaga :S
MannE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
LionO84
Thunder Kitty
Cool. I sadly don't own any of the show other then a vintage VHS tape that is in storage at my parents. I would love to have this or the first release on dvd.
LionO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #19
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
Tired of space wasters. Either give me a hard drive with every episode or release SD quality on a blueray disk so you can fit like a whole season on 1 or 2 disc. Is love a hd shaped like the eye of thundera the thunder tank or cats lair.
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Joe Moore
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannE View Post
Any idea if the pilot ep, Exodus, is flawless?? There are quality issues with the picture here and there with the 1st dvd released set. Most notably a scene with young Lion-O and Jaga :S
It's the exact same release as before. No changes.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
I'm not sure if it's at every Walmart location but you can get Season 1 Volume 1 for 19.99at Walmart. It has 33 episodes I believe. If the new DVD's aren't any different quality wise might be better to pick that up. Considering the volumes I believe are 15.00 a piece this is more of a bargain.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
Walmart.com: Search Results for "thundercats"

It's even cheaper on Walmart.com. Plus you get free shipping to your nearest store.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
RichardC
Thunder Kitty
Anyone know where to get these DVD? Or best places to look?
RichardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #24
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
Anyone know where to get these DVD? Or best places to look?
I would recommend either Walmart or Target. Though I would also recommend trying to find the original DVD releases. The first two volumes are still available at Walmart (at least around here anyways), and are only twenty bucks each.

I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen a volume 2 for this re-release yet. You would think that with only twelve episodes per volume they would be cranking them out a bit faster.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
KurtulanSama
Thunder Kitty
This may be irrelevant but will there be (or are there) any Blu-Ray releases?
KurtulanSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtulanSama View Post
This may be irrelevant but will there be (or are there) any Blu-Ray releases?
There haven't been any, and it's extremely unlikely that there ever will be any. Joe Moore's post earlier int he thread explains the reasoning perfectly.

Edit: woo hoo, 500th post...

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 01-29-2012 at 07:25 PM..