TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #551
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post
I wonder if lion-o is supposed to be immortal after the trails well at least as long as he has the spirit stone
I think the guy who saw it in Ireland said the resurrection was a one time only deal.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #552
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by L08e16o View Post
I said you always check on your teammate, like what cheetara did for tygra.

They argued that the SoO was more important and he was dead. I thought they should have made sure he was dead.
I've certainly had my run-ins with unhappy T/C fans. Tygra is gonna be in trouble for that decision.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #553
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSapphire View Post
I've said it before that Lion-O isn't perfect but I think even after everything that's happened Lion-O would have gone back for Tygra if the situation was reversed.
From what I understand they were captured for a little while after Lion-O died. They might not even know exactly where it was he died or how to get back to that specific spot.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #554
stormbringer
Quote:
Knowing the writers, the hits have just started.
Yeah, Jelenic has a serious hate for Lion-o.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #555
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
When they said born with fire it had to be magnesium they were talking about. It just doesn't go out.
L08e16o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #556
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
I just think Lion-O's gonna come out of his trials as a badass worthy of the titles "Lord of the Thundercats."
SirSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #557
stormbringer
Quote:
I just think Lion-O's gonna come out of his trials as a badass worthy of the titles "Lord of the Thundercats."
That's the only thing that could make this all worth it.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #558
stormbringer
Quote:
When they said born with fire it had to be magnesium they were talking about. It just doesn't go out.
And Jelenic wants 52 episodes?!? He'd better find something to do other than beat on Lion-o, if he wants that to happen.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #559
L08e16o
Quote:
And Jelenic wants 52 episodes?!? He'd better find something to do other than beat on Lion-o, if he wants that to happen.
The lessons are old for me already.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #560
stormbringer
Quote:
The lessons are old for me already.
Me too, I'd ask what more could they do to Lion-o, but I'm scared Jelenic would show us.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #561
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Me too, I'd ask what more could they do to Lion-o, but I'm scared Jelenic would show us.

I don't think they could do any worse than killing him off, unless they make it permanent.
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #562
L08e16o
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowdheart View Post
I don't think they could do any worse than killing him off, unless they make it permanent.
Don't give them ideas.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #563
stormbringer
Quote:
Yeah, he's watched his father murdered before his eyes, his kingdom destroyed, his people enslaved or killed, his heart broken, and now he's gonna die. All in the first season!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #564
stormbringer
Quote:
Don't give them ideas.
I'm starting to think Jelenic is Mumm-ra in disguise!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #565
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
The other thing you have to keep in mind is that Lion-O's arc through the first season stick pretty close to the archetypal "Hero's Journey" with his "death" coinciding with roughly the midpoint or "abyss" prior to his transformation and atonement. In other words he's approaching his lowest point, but only so he can start going back up again.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #566
L08e16o
Quote:
The other thing you have to keep in mind is that Lion-O's arc through the first season stick pretty close to the archetypal "Hero's Journey" with his "death" coinciding with roughly the midpoint or "abyss" prior to his transformation and atonement. In other words he's approaching his lowest point, but only so he can start going back up again.
I hope that is not what they are doing. This is suppose to be a kids show, they are not going to understand that.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #567
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
All the kids will see it that he got killed and the others (besides Kit) won't even go to look for his body. If that was me at that age i'd stop watching.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #568
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
I hope that is not what they are doing. This is suppose to be a kids show, they are not going to understand that.
It's just a storytelling device, they're not meant to understand the underlying shared mythology, that's for guys like us who watch kids cartoons.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #569
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
All the kids will see it that he got killed and the others (besides Kit) won't even go to look for his body. If that was me at that age i'd stop watching.
That never stopped kids from watching Transformers, no matter how many times they kill Prime. It's kind of a joke now.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #570
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
That never stopped kids from watching Transformers, no matter how many times they kill Prime. It's kind of a joke now.
But Prime's a car. Lion-o's a senient cat. And little kids are going to be more upset if a animal dies, i'd assume. I know a lot of people cried with Mufasa was murdered.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #571
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
But Prime's a car. Lion-o's a senient cat. And little kids are going to be more upset if a animal dies, i'd assume. I know a lot of people cried with Mufasa was murdered.
Have you seen Transformers? They're ALL sentient, the death of Optimus Prime wrecked a lot of kids, myself included.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #572
stormbringer
Quote:
The first time Prime died in the 80's movie, kids were pretty freaked out by it. There were even parents writing to Hasbro, to complain about it. It's amazing how things change, now Prime dies at least once every series.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #573
L08e16o
Quote:
It's just a storytelling device, they're not meant to understand the underlying shared mythology, that's for guys like us who watch kids cartoons.
I can see them using some of it, but not the entire thing. They have missed some steps.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #574
L08e16o
Quote:
Have you seen Transformers? They're ALL sentient, the death of Optimus Prime wrecked a lot of kids, myself included.
How many rebots has transformers received compared to the TCats?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #575
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I know that. I watched it too, but deaths of animals makes me sadder, since i know cars aren't really sentient. I wish they were though. Plus Lion-o's been the writer's punching bag from the pilot.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #576
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I think a lot if the audience has a VERY negative opinion of Cheetara now. Between leading Lion-o on, and her dereliction of duty, its like I said before Lion-o has no reason to trust Cheetara on any level,. Which is why I said ( much to the disdain of some posters), that logically Lion-o would be within his rights to banish her. She has become a hindrance to the group dynamics.
Yeah, that was me. And what you said, in addition to banishing her, was that you'd cheer with glee at the sight of Cheetara getting murdered. Basically, you're saying that you want to see her die because she fell in love with the wrong guy. Real classy.

Quote:
Oh, stop. I think Lion-O's been one of the best characters in the show. Yeah, he goes through a lot of shit, but he's a great, multi-faceted character. They wouldn't bother writing him so well if they hated him.

Quote:
Totally.
Mako Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #577
stormbringer
Quote:
I can see them using some of it, but not the entire thing. They have missed some steps.
For me the problem is it comes across as forced. Lion-o is going through trial by fire, but things like Cheetara doing a complete 180 in terms of personality, come across as being done to reach a certain outcome even if it doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #578
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako Crab View Post
Yeah, that was me. And what you said, in addition to banishing her, was that you'd cheer with glee at the sight of Cheetara getting murdered. Basically, you're saying that you want to see her die because she fell in love with the wrong guy. Real classy.

Oh, stop. I think Lion-O's been one of the best characters in the show. Yeah, he goes through a lot of shit, but he's a great, multi-faceted character. They wouldn't bother writing him so well if they hated him.

Totally.
Actually I was joking with cmangund, the only time I was serious about the death thing, was when I said that Claudus would have had her head for surrendering in the muddle of a battle. Not for choosing Tygra.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #579
stormbringer
Quote:
I know that. I watched it too, but deaths of animals makes me sadder, since i know cars aren't really sentient. I wish they were though. Plus Lion-o's been the writer's punching bag from the pilot.
Jelenic wants Lion-o to continue to have lessons, the problem though he's the only one who is forced to learn them.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #580
L08e16o
Quote:
For me the problem is it comes across as forced. Lion-o is going through trial by fire, but things like Cheetara doing a complete 180 in terms of personality, come across as being done to reach a certain outcome even if it doesn't make any sense.
Agree. The thing is she might have lead him on she didn't temp him.

Well it will keep going. When she dropped her staff that was very OOC.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #581
L08e16o
Quote:
jelenic wants lion-o to continue to have lessons, the problem though he's the only one who is forced to learn them.
ahmen!!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #582
stormbringer
Quote:
Agree. The thing is she might have lead him on she didn't temp him.

Well it will keep going. When she dropped her staff that was very OOC.
I'll never understand the rewrite of Cheetara's personality in the last couple of episodes.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #583
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Actually I was joking with cmangund, the only time I was serious about the death thing, was when I said that Claudus would have had her head for surrendering in the muddle of a battle. Not for choosing Tygra.
Then your joke was in poor taste.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #584
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I'll never understand the rewrite of Cheetara's personality in the last couple of episodes.
I'll never understand why you and a select few others think her character has at all changed since the beginning of the show.

We have, however, gotten to know her better, and her true feelings were revealed. Some of you couldn't deal with the fact she chose someone other than Lion-O, and have since condemned her and everything she does at every turn.

Edit: woo, post #700...

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 03-30-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #585
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako Crab View Post
Then your joke was in poor taste.
You once accused me of taking this show too seriously, but your getting angry about comments about fictional characters. How about we just don't comment in each others post anymore. Okay?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #586
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I'll never understand why you and a select few others think her character has at all changed since the beginning of the show.

We have, however, gotten to know her better, and her true feelings were revealed. Some of you couldn't deal with the fact she chose someone other than Lion-O, and have since condemned her and everything she does at every turn.
I think these debates are just going around in circles. I as well as many others have explained why we feel Cheetara has changed. Yes I do think that Cheetara led Lion-o on, but the issue is that now that she is with Tygra, she chose to surrender in the middle if a fight, because a couple of bloodthirsty killers, one of which she dealt with before (Slithe), promised her they would spare her boyfriend. It was a bad idea, as further evidenced by the fact that moments after her surrender, Lion-o who she is supposed to protect was knocked unconscious and would have been killed id not for Panthro's arrival.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #587
stac
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post

Unlike you, some of us don’t feel the need to twist facts to fit our own version of reality.

Many of us here have repeatedly mentioned that the reason we do not put Cheetara (or the T/C relationship) on a pedestal was not because she chose Tygra but because of the manner in which the love triangle was written.

Cheetara’s characterisation was very badly handled in my opinion. You can go on assuming that Lion-O somehow “misread her signals” or maybe a sudden, out of the blue flashback without any build-up may be enough to convince you of the legitimacy of the T/C pairing. But that’s simply not good enough for me.

Want to create a love triangle? Great, just don’t wreck the characters in the process.
stac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #588
theking
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I think these debates are just going around in circles. I as well as many others have explained why we feel Cheetara has changed. Yes I do think that Cheetara led Lion-o on, but the issue is that now that she is with Tygra, she chose to surrender in the middle if a fight, because a couple of bloodthirsty killers, one of which she dealt with before (Slithe), promised her they would spare her boyfriend. It was a bad idea, as further evidenced by the fact that moments after her surrender, Lion-o who she is supposed to protect was knocked unconscious and would have been killed id not for Panthro's arrival.
She's become weak now that she gave in to her emotions, the old Cheetara was so damn cool and always in control of herself, now they just write her as a love struck naive girl. If she was her old self she would have been able to reach Tygra and save him, while still being able to disarm her enemies but now she hesitated because the man she loves was at risk. Lion-O should just learn how to fight by himself, instead of counting on others to watch his back. I mean you were raised from childhood to put your duty towards the kingdom first before anything (which is Lion-O uniting all the races against Mumm-Ra) as a cleric and now that you've fallen in love all that training etc. Just fly's out the door? That's what I find to be just so unrealistic, even though the characters aren't perfect someone should really re-write whatever they did to her character, I mean seriously.
theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #589
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theking View Post
She's become weak now that she gave in to her emotions, the old Cheetara was so damn cool and always in control of herself, now they just write her as a love struck naive girl. If she was her old self she would have been able to reach Tygra and save him, while still being able to disarm her enemies but now she hesitated because the man she loves was at risk. Lion-O should just learn how to fight by himself, instead of counting on others to watch his back. I mean you were raised from childhood to put your duty towards the kingdom first before anything (which is Lion-O uniting all the races against Mumm-Ra) as a cleric and now that you've fallen in love all that training etc. Just fly's out the door? That's what I find to be just so unrealistic, even though the characters aren't perfect someone should really re-write whatever they did to her character, I mean seriously.
Exactly, thank you. Cheetara has become an entirely different person now. And it hasn't been a change for the better.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #590
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post
Unlike you, some of us don’t feel the need to twist facts to fit our own version of reality.

Many of us here have repeatedly mentioned that the reason we do not put Cheetara (or the T/C relationship) on a pedestal was not because she chose Tygra but because of the manner in which the love triangle was written.

Cheetara’s characterisation was very badly handled in my opinion. You can go on assuming that Lion-O somehow “misread her signals” or maybe a sudden, out of the blue flashback without any build-up may be enough to convince you of the legitimacy of the T/C pairing. But that’s simply not good enough for me.

Want to create a love triangle? Great, just don’t wreck the characters in the process.
I agree with every word.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #591
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
You once accused me of taking this show too seriously, but your getting angry about comments about fictional characters. How about we just don't comment in each others post anymore. Okay?
Those same fictional characters that you're devoting so much time to hating? Those ones? Heh.
Anyway, this debate is done. I'll see you guys in the thread for episode 15: How Cheetara Ruined Everything *This Time.*
Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #592
cmangund
Hardcore Lion-O + L/C Fan
Quote:
I'm starting to think Jelenic is Mumm-ra in disguise!
You got it the other way around, Jelenic IS MUMM-RA HIMSELF it is his true form! Jelenic form is the disguise. Thus the personal hatred of Lion-O.

Last edited by cmangund; 03-30-2012 at 05:43 AM..
cmangund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #593
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post

I agree. I think there were people who wanted T/C in any way they could get it.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #594
AdamofEternia
Thunder Kitty
i knew the love triangle plot would eventually cause a drastic negative change in the characters involved. this is why i didn't really support the romance and i hope the writers stay away from romance for now and focus on the damn main story arc.
AdamofEternia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #595
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
The thing is there are two sides to this debate and both have excellent points, but they also then to ignore the points brought up by the other side. We're also only at the halfway point in the first season, we've still got a dozen or so episodes left to see how that characters change or find out more about their backstory. Yes Tygra/Cheetarah feels forced, but I've stated before that I liked the way they revealed it, it hits you like a brick wall the same way it hits Lion-O and forces you directly into his shoes for a brief moment. We have no idea how things are going to develop. They might break up, the might not. They might break up only to decide to give it another shot. After going though the Trials I don't think Lion-O will even want Cheetarah romantically anymore, recognizing his crush as just that.

Yes Lion-O gets the lion's share of the character development (puns, LOL) but the producers stated before the show even premiered that the first season is all about Lion-O, his development and how his and other's decisions affect and change him, and the other characters won't get quite as much focus.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #596
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangund View Post
You got it the other way around, Jelenic IS MUMM-RA HIMSELF it is his true form! Jelenic form is the disguise. Thus the personal hatred of Lion-O.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #597
stormbringer
Quote:
I agree. I think there were people who wanted T/C in any way they could get it.
And they got it alright. And will defend it no matter what.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #598
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamofEternia View Post
i knew the love triangle plot would eventually cause a drastic negative change in the characters involved. this is why i didn't really support the romance and i hope the writers stay away from romance for now and focus on the damn main story arc.
This is the problem inherent with love triangles, if their not done well, you end up with the characters becoming unlikeable. And that's what's happened here.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #599
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
I've been thinking about Cheetarah's actions in the fight in "New Alliances" and a thought occurred to me: Lion-O gambles with his brother's life, but knowing what we know about the characters it's probably because he has faith that Tygra could find his way out of the situation. Cheetarah refuses to fight with Tygra held hostage because she doesn't want to risk his life that way. As much as she cares about him she doesn't have the same faith in him that Lion-O does. She doesn't have the same faith in Tygra that she does Lion-O. I think if the situation was reversed she would have kept fighting (Tygra might not) because she believes Lion-O can do anything. In this context Tygra's smile could be taken as a wry smirk of disappointment that the woman he loves doesn't believe in him the same way she does his brother.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #600
stormbringer
Quote:
I've been thinking about Cheetarah's actions in the fight in "New Alliances" and a thought occurred to me: Lion-O gambles with his brother's life, but knowing what we know about the characters it's probably because he has faith that Tygra could find his way out of the situation. Cheetarah refuses to fight with Tygra held hostage because she doesn't want to risk his life that way. As much as she cares about him she doesn't have the same faith in him that Lion-O does. She doesn't have the same faith in Tygra that she does Lion-O. I think if the situation was reversed she would have kept fighting (Tygra might not) because she believes Lion-O can do anything. In this context Tygra's smile could be taken as a wry smirk of disappointment that the woman he loves doesn't believe in him the same way she does his brother.
So I guess that would mean that Cheetara doesn't know Tygra as well as she thought. That could certainly become an issue down the line.