TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 09-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #51
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Leo's girlfriend's name was Panthera. The crew told us in tinychat while we were watching the episode.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #52
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Found the ep online. That was great. Seeing what really went down was awesome. They showed enough to give us a strong backstroy, but left enough ambigious for future tales. (like the exact nature of the Cats and Mumm-Ra joining forces in the first place)

Lion-O is a champ, (I'm sogonna die... but at least I have a girlfriend!) and the mech suits from the gauntlets were cool. They seem similar to the Book of Omens, a fusion of magic and technology. The Sword of Plunn-dar was really cool. Imagine what it would be like if the stone had actually been placed inside it.

I like Mumm-Ra a lot more now. However his nose in his true form is still odd to me. It sticks up and is always shaded. Makes him look like he has a pig's nose in certain shots.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #53
SerahGetzlaf15
Thunder Kitty
Whoo-hoo! Awesome episode, although I thought the armor was a little over the top. Definitely helped clear up some of my confusion from last week's episode. This series is absolutely blowing me away...
SerahGetzlaf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #54
Death2Fanboys
Red Eye
IMO this is the episode that will define the series so far.

A unified rebellion agaisnt Mumm-ra and his forces. Which should set up a nice war in the upcoming episodes. And I gotta a sneaky suspicion that we will see the Mumm-Ra and Leo Body Armour clash one more time. Except this time it will be Lion-On wearing it.

Good episode, however, I'm not too thrill with the stones power and stuff. This feels very The Infinity Gauntlet for me.
Death2Fanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #55
Sideswipe80
Thunder Kitty
A great episode indeed. But I just can't figure out what Mumm Ra, demon, alien, wizard, bat? All of the above?
Sideswipe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #56
nomad16
Thundarian
great episode and those armors very very cool!!
nomad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #57
cathartic cat
Thunder Kitty
I'm wondering what it would be like if mumm-ra had all the items including the eye of Thundera. Hopefully a future episode can have something like that. It doesn't even have to be part of the continuity, it can be something like a dream sequence. Would be really cool.
cathartic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #58
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Episode 7 - Legacy - 180 MB version

Will comment after I watched it. (Just woke up, it's 7 AM in Hungary - in the last month, now it has been a practice that the first thing I do on Saturday morning is to download and watch Thundercats... reminds me of the time I was a kid and watched saturday morning toons like Gargoyles, Transformers, Mega Man or Batman TAS every Saturday... )
BB Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #59
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Samurai Armor Mummra? WTH? the whole motief with mummra was ancient Egypt, now we got japanese design influence? Thats a crock, its not even of the same age.

Other than that, I enjoyed the overall story.

The design of mummra's tank and now this...no guru.
squawkbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #60
Beast Arrow
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawkbot View Post
Samurai Armor Mummra? WTH? the whole motief with mummra was ancient Egypt, now we got japanese design influence? Thats a crock, its not even of the same age.

This episode only explained the relationship between the cats, Mumm-Ra, and the other species. We have yet to get a Mumm-Ra backstory exposition.

Last edited by Beast Arrow; 09-03-2011 at 01:10 AM..
Beast Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #61
blueeyedkitty
Thunder Kitty
Epic!

side RL note:
My hubby watches this show with me and is an avid Wow player- during the battle he said "boss fight!" followed by "oh, no. Its a wipe."
blueeyedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #62
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Arrow View Post
Calm down. This episode only explained the relationship between the cats, Mumm-Ra, and the other species. We have yet to get a Mumm-Ra backstory exposition. Don't jump the gun here, like certain disgruntled "fans" on this site are starting to do.
Relax buddy, I'm stating an opinion on design. Like I said, I enjoyed the episode and I generally like where they're taking the plot.

Minor gripes with the design department and where they're looking for inspiration when reimagining mummra, thats all.

Also, anybody else think that Monstar's image was a little tacked on? I mean, the tigersharks are the sea troops but what the heck was Monstar doing? I didnt see any other ships in space. And yeah, he was mentioning other races, but kinda weird just to have him up there in the middle of monitoring a planetary invasion.

Last edited by squawkbot; 09-03-2011 at 01:19 AM..
Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #63
Beast Arrow
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Relax buddy, I'm stating an opinion on design. Like I said, I enjoyed the episode and I generally like where they're taking the plot.

Minor gripes with the design department and where they're looking for inspiration when reimagining mummra, thats all.
Yeah, I just reread your post and misinterpreted it the first time. It will help if you don't compare this show to the original, because it was obvious from the premiere that things will be different (Thundera is a kingdom on Third Earth instead of a planet).

Quote:
Also, anybody else think that Monstar's image was a little tacked on? I mean, the tigersharks are the sea troops but what the heck was Monstar doing? I didnt see any other ships in space. And yeah, he was mentioning other races, but kinda weird just to have him up there in the middle of monitoring a planetary invasion.
I thought they would go further with Mon*Star in this ep. However, I get the feeling we may see more of him once Mumm-Ra's backstory is filled out.

Last edited by Beast Arrow; 09-03-2011 at 01:24 AM..
Beast Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #64
Balgus82
Quote:

Sanurai? It look like a Pharaoh to me.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #65
squawkbot
Thunder Kitty
Im just saying, imo an asian design cheapens the character's look/feel in this case.
Mummras cool b/c his character design draws from an ancient civilization associated with rich mythology, lost technology, and speculative alien influence.

The helmet looked shredder-ish.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #66
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciberw0lf View Post
Need armored Leo and Mumm-ra figures BAD!
I really don't get the "Gotta get them all!" bug, heck so far I've only gotten 6 inch Mumm-Ra, but at almost any scale, that Armored Mumm-Ra figure is so very bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guard convoy View Post
Loved how armored Leo was basically GARO

this was easily one of the best episodes so far if not the best
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. As soon as it happened I almost heard the JAM Project GARO theme in my head.

Quote:
Mwhua? I did not see any Japanese design in that armor. The helmet is very strongly evocative of Anubis, the steparmor on the wings looks like Egyption detail motiffs in their horn sculpture, and he's wearing a very dark colored royal shendyt.

Obviously the face on the front of the armor, the large shoulder pieces, and the hip guards aren't authentic Egyptian fare, but they don't exactly scream Japanese as much as generic anime armor; such as from Tekkaman.

Anyway, the anime armor sequence after I got over the surprise of the somewhat silliness of it, was a fantastic episode IMHO. Lots of backstory and setting up for many future episodes along with several WOW moments, like the forging of the Sword of Omens. Also Mumm-Ra looked incredible in the armor.

I seriously doubt this is going to become a "hunt for the crystals" series, while it will undoubtedly a theme of the rest of this season, I doubt it will be fetch questy and instead using that overal theme to tell interesting stories on their way to the finale.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #67
dolza_khyron
Thunder Kitty
Spoilers*

Lion O: "I know what we have to do! we have to reunite the animals!"

Tigra: "Great! Now we get to follow, his dreams?"

lol!
dolza_khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #68
megapork
Thunder Kitty
So Leo is in love with Panthera right. So Lion O's Ancestor had a relationship with an ancestor of Panthro. Weird.............
megapork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #69
The Eye of Thundera
Omnipresent
I really enjoyed most of this episode but I agree with some of you about the styling of the armor. As someone already mentioned, when I first saw him changing into his armored form, I immediately thought it looked like Hordak until they gave us a different angle. Then unfortunately I started to feel like I was watching some stupid Power Rangers/Voltron battle scene and couldn't wait for the episode to get back to the story. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for the show and more of just a tribute to the past that the creators threw in for fans of different themed shows. Thundercats has it's own style and doesn't need gimmicks to generate fans.
The Eye of Thundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #70
mihoshi
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
reminds me of the time I was a kid and watched saturday morning toons like Gargoyles
OT but Gargoyles is my absolute FAVORITE show!!! Wish they would release the second half of season 2 on DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82
Leo's girlfriend's name was Panthera. The crew told us in tinychat while we were watching the episode.
Thanks! Need an action figure of her for sure!
mihoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #71
blueeyedkitty
Thunder Kitty
Yes Space Opera!!! Love it!!!
blueeyedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #72
Lion O of savannah
TruthJusticeHonorLoyalty
I agree with blue eyed kitty, last nights episode was EPIC and LEGENDARY. It was worth he week long wait, and after last nites episode I'm anxiously awaiting for this weeks episode. I can't wait to see bandai's ace up the sleeve for the figures of armored mumm ra and leo. If they don't, it will be a custom quest to build hem myself then. HOOOOOOO
Lion O of savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #73
Sideswipe80
Thunder Kitty
I wonder was causing third Earth to glow green like that before they crashed. We really need a Mumm Ra origin.
Sideswipe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #74
DESTRO
Overlord Of Evil
Just another quick note... That episode was like the "MATRIX" and Lion-O jacked in to learn about his past. Also Mumm-Ra's space battle cruiser looks like one of the destroyers from the Animatrix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mumm-ra-spaceship.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	656Click image for larger version

Name:	mumm-ra-spaceship-1.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	657
Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #75
hdeleon
Thunder Kitty
That was freaking amazing.... so well thought out how this world can expand. I can't wait to see more.
hdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #76
crackus
Thunder Puss
that episode was so awesome!!! I want the armored lion o and mumm-ra.... like NOW!!!!
crackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #77
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Quote:
Ummm... it's not japanese. It just stylizes his regular look. I see no real samurai influences besides the fact that it's armour. It still looks ancient Egypt, what with the skirt and all.

Quote:
Im just saying, imo an asian design cheapens the character's look/feel in this case.
I agree.

Which is why it's a good thing his design isn't in any way asian.

Last edited by SPLIT LIP; 09-03-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #78
LionO84
Thunder Kitty
OMG that episode was amazing!!!!! This so keeps getting better and better.
LionO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #79
Simbatron
Thunder Kitty
Nice episode. I noticed 2 familiar voices. Can anyone confirm? Cree Summer, Blackarachnia from Transformers animated as Leo's girlfriend, and either transformers G1 Springer or Prowl's VoiceOver actor as the Jackal leader.
Simbatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #80
megapork
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
Ummm... it's not japanese. It just stylizes his regular look. I see no real samurai influences besides the fact that it's armour. It still looks ancient Egypt, what with the skirt and all.
It has a stylized japanese anime samurai demon panda bear villain influence with the helmet and hip pads and the skull on the chest piece, as well as the invisible legs hidden by skirt. I look up some images will post em here for reference by tomorrow.
megapork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #81
mihoshi
Thunder Kitty
I wish they had previews for the next episode at the end. I want to know what to look forward to!
mihoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #82
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Mumm-ra looked more like some ancient Lich Lord (with that skirt/cloak) then a samurai.

And man, I found it appropiate that the leader of the ancient jackals looks a lot like Anubis.

Also, we probably got our first glimpse at what Pumyra will look like on the show - those three smiths forging the Sword of Omens were definitely pumas.

Loved the backstory, the fight scenes, Lion-O's comments about findig himself (or rather Leo) in such situations (especially the "I'm gonna die... But at least I have a girlfriend!" and the "Would you believe, those actually kinda slipped my mind" lines) ... Also we got to see the other animals (monkeys, jackals, lizards, vultures, elephants, tigersharks). And Jaga couldn't have found a better Lord to create peace between the species then Lion-O. Claudus would have probably hidden the Book and never revealed the truth.

One thing I was surprised at, how the other cats (security guards) were still loyal to Mumm-Ra. Or how much the cats have kept from their roots - the royal clothes of Claudus or Tygra or Lion-O in episodes 1-2 looked a lot like the ones Leo and Panthera were wearing.

And I wonder how Mumm-Ra will trump the Cats' cards now - they have the sword and the book, they know where the other stones are, and we have seen that Leo could defeat him even with two stones. If Lion-O finds all three, Mumm-Ra won't stand a chance, army or no army.

Something also tells me slave collars will be featured in future episodes.
BB Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #83
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbatron View Post
Nice episode. I noticed 2 familiar voices. Can anyone confirm? Cree Summer, Blackarachnia from Transformers animated as Leo's girlfriend, and either transformers G1 Springer or Prowl's VoiceOver actor as the Jackal leader.

I don't know about the Jackal, but Panthera was absolutely Cree Summer. I recognized her voiced and asked in the crew chat and Dan Norton confirmed her.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #84
topnotch97
Lexi Belle fan
oh man. the episode reminded me of Battlestar Galactica and Caprica for some reason.

now it makes sense. they did have technology.
topnotch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #85
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Quote:
Originally Posted by megapork View Post
It has a stylized japanese anime samurai demon panda bear villain influence with the helmet
No it didn't.

It had a Pharaoh's hat with the two snake things he has on his regular helmet. No demon, no panda bear. Yeah he had a skull chest but that's because he's hardcore. Had nothing to do with Japan.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #86
Lion-O*
Thunder Kitty
Every episode of this show is the best one yet until the next episode comes out!
This is more than I was expecting from a Thundercats reboot cartoon.
Look at how AWFUL the new Voltron cartoon looks. I couldn't sit through one episode of that.
Thundercats is AMAZING- story and art.
Lion-O* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #87
NinSage
Thunder Kitty
what can I say that hasn't already been said?

that was AMAZING!!

It shouldn't surprise me since Avatar TLA was one of the best cartoons ever, but, I can't believe how flappin' awesome this show is.

The nods to Silverhawks/Tigersharks?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh man, my hats off to the makers of this show. I hope some day we get an episode where they visit with the 'hawks and then another with the 'sharks. I would loooove to see what the updated versions of those characters looks like ^_^

I can not WAIT for next episode.

PS - thanks to the site for putting up those screen caps. they've been making marvelous windows backgrounds for me ^_^
NinSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #88
Thunder Cutta
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlon View Post
I am hoping its something else.

I mean it would be kinda bad , The cats were over all the animals and then Leo lead the rebellion , united the animals , then him or one of his ancestors betrayed the alliance , and decimated the other animals to the point where they did not have an army to take them on , and then established themselves as rulers of 3rd earth.
I think that the breakdown comes over squabbling over control of the Book/Sword of Omens between the species. The 'Cats have control over the "Eye of Thundera", and they're not gonna give up that kind of power. The other animals don't see why the 'Cats should have the 'Eye, since they ALL helped overthrow Mumm-Ra...

Goes downhill from there.

Power is not easily shared. "Lord of the Rings" setup.

Loving this btw.
Thunder Cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #89
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
No it didn't.

It had a Pharaoh's hat with the two snake things he has on his regular helmet. No demon, no panda bear. Yeah he had a skull chest but that's because he's hardcore. Had nothing to do with Japan.
Its not beyond the realms of possibility that there are some Asian influences in the show design choices. Mumm-Ra's armor appeared to have both an Egyptian feel and a Samurai feel to it. You can see both influences in there.
GrimlocksPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #90
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlocksPS View Post
Its not beyond the realms of possibility that there are some Asian influences in the show design choices. Mumm-Ra's armor appeared to have both an Egyptian feel and a Samurai feel to it. You can see both influences in there.
The only reason I hesitate to say it's asian is because the possible similarities stem from two things: it's armour and it's stylized. In a cartoon like this that means it could just as easily be medieval.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #91
merlin
wizard
trygra 's father work for mumm-ra
i love primad ship
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #92
Shadowknight1
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlocksPS View Post
*facepalm* Of COURSE there are Asian influences in the design of the show! The animation is being done from a Japanese animation studio.
Shadowknight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #93
GrimlocksPS
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowknight1 View Post
*facepalm* Of COURSE there are Asian influences in the design of the show! The animation is being done from a Japanese animation studio.
That was the point i was trying to make. Split Lip is savvy about these types of things i didn't see the need to point out its made by a Japanese Studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP
The only reason I hesitate to say it's asian is because the possible similarities stem from two things: it's armour and it's stylized. In a cartoon like this that means it could just as easily be medieval.
It could be medieval too. Who knows? I did ask on the crew blog so lets see if they answer.
GrimlocksPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #94
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
Mumm-Ra in his battle armor looks like Evil Emperor Zurg. That settles the whole Asian/Egyptian debate.
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #95
Peaugh
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by guard convoy View Post
The Silverhawks reference was that Mon-Starr appeared on a screen, that's all i have heard

SPOILER POTENTIAL

so since they will be stone-hunting, there is no doubt in my mind silverhawks and tigersharks each will have a stone and be introduced, which makes me happy
Possible that the "SilverHawk" stone is the Moonstar?
Peaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #96
Thinktank
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
No it didn't.

Well that and he was in fact, >>Clears throat
[Nathan Explosion]MEHTUHHLLL!!...[/Nathan Explosion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Mumm-Ra in his battle armor looks like Evil Emperor Zurg. That settles the whole Asian/Egyptian debate.
So which is Emperor Zurg again, Egyptian or Asian?
((Emp. Zurg's design is mix of 50's sci-fi and Gernsback/art deco))

That aside.

Lets tack some stuff down about continuity and crossovers.

The sequence in the past was THOUSANDS of years ago.

Silverhawks:
The Silverhawks were humans from Earth (with a near human alien)
in the 29th century. Unless Mon-Star and the whole Silverhawk crew
are super longevitous (made that word up) then Mon-Star's new
appearance was probably eye candy.

Tigersharks:
The Tigersharks in this series are a race. The original Tigersharks
team were a crew from Earth, who episodically were turned into
varied aquatic forms. This was acheived through a very large, very
complex, and very external piece of equipment called the;
"Fish Tank". Not even remotely the same.

So if they were all part of the same continuity presented in the last
two episodes, then it is possibly the 8th millenium on Earth. If we
make it as a civilization for six more millenia. The advanced technology
shown in Silverhawks (Cybernetics) and Tigersharks (Genetics) would
be like a sharp stick compared to vast technological power Earth
based humanity would wield. The powerstones would be as poker chips
to 8th millennial mankind.

If the folks at WB/BA bring in these two other sibling franchise the
rebuild will likely be as extensive as the new iteration of Thundercats.

With all that said I hope they do well enough to branch out again.
But I hope they do it as inteligently and thoughtfully as they have
handled Thundercats thus far.

Last edited by Thinktank; 09-04-2011 at 03:57 AM..
Thinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #97
Beej B
Loves the new show!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaugh View Post
Yes, I'd say it's quite possible. I sure hope so, anyway.
Beej B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #98
ZombieSnake
Thunder Kitty
Loved this episode. Each week this series keeps topping itself for me and coming out with episodes even better than the last. I also like how they now have transitioned from looking for the book of Omens to finding the other stones and trying to reunite the other races again.

I also actually liked they way that they used Lion-O actually inhabiting Leo's body Assassin's Creed style, where Lion O had to accomplish the same things Leo actually did in order for the book to remain open to him. I think when they do try to find the stones in the future Lion O will have to do the same with other ancestors in order to reveal the locations of the other stones. The whole set up of him needing to pass this "test" immediately reminded me of the trials Lion O had to pass to become anointed as the true leader of the Thundercats in the original series.
ZombieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #99
Transformed
Thunder Kitty
I can't say I didn't enjoy the episode 'cause I did. However, I do wonder why Mumm-Ra allowed something so important to him to be handled by anyone, but himself, especially when he suspected a rebellion was brewing.

I did think it was lame to make Leo look pretty similar to Lion-O and the same goes for Captain Tigress and Tigra. Why couldn’t we have had completely new characters?
Transformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #100
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaugh View Post
If we get a Mon-star vs Mumm-ra fight that would own all.

Last edited by Tracer; 09-04-2011 at 06:46 PM..
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote