TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Mongor
You got red on you.
Discontinued by Manufacturer.
From 8" Lion-O to 4" Lion-O wave 1 to Panthro wave 2...
Not looking good.
Mongor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
THUNDER JEDI
Thunderian Commoner
This looks like proof of line being dead. Warner Bros. waited way too long to bring Thundercats back and bandai made some awesome toys, but screwed it up big time. Its a damn shame. There was soo much potential for the line, classics and modern. Whiskers...I mean Shit!
THUNDER JEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
I looked them up but didn't see them as discontinued.
hollowdheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Mongor
You got red on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowdheart View Post
I looked them up but didn't see them as discontinued.
Just scroll down on any item. It's under product details.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
I see now. My bad.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Good catch Mongor
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Mongor
You got red on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
Good catch Mongor
I'd rather be wrong.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
hollowdheart
Thunderian Commoner
I wonder how the show will go on without the toys? I know CN wasn't happy with the way everything was going.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
Well yep, that confirms it basically. Amazon usually gets first notices as they move product heavy and have to report this stuff to consumers. It was nice knowing you 2011 Cats!
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
MegaGearX
Thunder Kitty
Can someone else make the toys? Imagine if Mattel got the license to do the toyline starting with season three? If the cartoon is doing better, why not let someone else give the toys a try?
MegaGearX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGearX View Post
Can someone else make the toys? Imagine if Mattel got the license to do the toyline starting with season three? If the cartoon is doing better, why not let someone else give the toys a try?
Apparently the rumor is that a new company will be announced next spring. That IS a rumor though.
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Cat's Pajamas
Thunderian Commoner
Frak, that's depressing.
Cat's Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
That sucks. Hopefully some other company will pick up the license and continue to make great figures. We waited so long for this I just really want it to continue.

I guess this means those places which do not have them on clearance yet soon will? Time to fill out the holes in my line. Not that I would sell, but do you think in the long run this helps or hurts the value of the Bandai figures?
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
dpcphoto
ThunderCats Hooooo!
I really don't see them being worth a whole lot. I could be wrong though, but feel that they are worth much more to me as a fan. Man...this sucks!
dpcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
frodo
certified 80's kid
i had to see it for myself bummer!
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
McSoundwave
Thundercat Ho
Let's go Mezco! They might be our last and best hope.

Last edited by McSoundwave; 05-26-2012 at 02:57 PM..
McSoundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Amazon is usually right on when it comes to distributor information. Honestly, the writing was on the wall.

However, this could end up being a blessing in disguise if another company picks up the license and does right by the line. I know a lot of people are not fans of Mattel, but I would like to see something on Matty collector with the classics.
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
Mongor
You got red on you.
I hope it doesn't go to Matty collector. I don't like what I've seen from them and the pricing is ridiculous. I actually want more toys of the new Thundercats than the classics personally. I'd get a classic Panthro if they made him but otherwise I don't feel compelled to but any more classics. Guess I'm pissed I've already bought the 8 inch and 6 inch classics from Bandai only to see them sit by themselves in my display case. Bandai seriously F'd up. After watching today's episode though I thought that the actual fighting and battles is just what this toy line needs. Looks like too little too late though. As long as the show continues I'll be happy, even without toys if need be.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
So I guess its time to look to customizers to round out the cast now
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
AlexofThundera
Talk Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepySariFan View Post
Apparently the rumor is that a new company will be announced next spring. That IS a rumor though.
Any references to where you heard / saw this?

In the last week I have visited about 7 different Wal Marts in two cities which I frequent. I've been visiting them for months on my hunts. It is pretty obvious that each store received one shipment of "some" wave 2 stuff and that was it. I wonder if Bandai sent all of what wave 2 they did produce or if they pulled the plug during production and there is still some stuff sitting in boxes somewhere.

Funny enough as I was at one Wal Mart today a dad said to his son, "look, Thundercats, do you like these?" and the kid replied with "no, those suck, all my friends say so."

Obviously this is just one kid, but mayhaps the NS and toy line just hasn't / didn't appeal to today's children. I gotta admit, it sucked to hear him say that. When I was a kid I couldn't nag my dad enough to take me to PlayWorld and get a new Thundercat for my collection.

Last edited by AlexofThundera; 05-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Added more
AlexofThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
So I guess its time to look to customizers to round out the cast now
already trying to get a Pumyra out there for you guys, just ran out of money for the project though.
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
RedisPower
or SONIC RANGER!!!
It would appear that Thundercats is about the go the way of the Dodo, or better yet, Sym-Bionic Titan.

CN: "No toy line, no continuous."
RedisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofThundera View Post
Any references to where you heard / saw this?

In the last week I have visited about 7 different Wal Marts in two cities which I frequent. I've been visiting them for months on my hunts. It is pretty obvious that each store received one shipment of "some" wave 2 stuff and that was it. I wonder if Bandai sent all of what wave 2 they did produce or if they pulled the plug during production and there is still some stuff sitting in boxes somewhere.

Funny enough as I was at one Wal Mart today a dad said to his son, "look, Thundercats, do you like these?" and the kid replied with "no, those suck, all my friends say so."

Obviously this is just one kid, but mayhaps the NS and toy line just hasn't / didn't appeal to today's children. I gotta admit, it sucked to hear him say that. When I was a kid I couldn't nag my dad enough to take me to PlayWorld and get a new Thundercat for my collection.
http://www.thundercats.ws/bandais-re...398/#post51829 dj7000's post here, apparently with some insider info.

And yeah, I was HUGE into ThunderCats as a kid. Going to the States again to pick up toys was like nostalgia heaven.
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by adssse View Post
That sucks. Hopefully some other company will pick up the license and continue to make great figures.
I really can't see that happening.

This line is dead, venders aren't going to want to waste their very valueable shelf space on another manufacturer's products right after having lost out by shelving ThunderCats once already. No retailer, not even Toys R Us as an exclusive wanted to touch the Masters of the Universe Classics entirely because of the 2002 lines failure. (And before it's bought up, the 2 packs with DCU were because of the DCUC figures and a lot of incenting from Mattel.)

There is a tremendous amount of competition nowadays for vender shelf space and they're practically a very nervous bunch in that they don't like taking chances. They don't like having product sitting on their shelves not moving; they tend to have long memories about what product lines disapoint them.

This line had an uphill battle to begin with; Target wouldn't even stock them in store until the line had been out and was a proven seller. Then a few months after they get them in store the line is over? They'll remember that and avoid any and all ThunderCat figures in the future like the plague, regardless of what happens to the toy license for at least a few years. Consider this, Wal-mart underpurchased Avengers figures and Target underpurchased Transformers Prime figures because they had their doubts about them. Why would any vender buy any product (regardless who made it) from a line that completely failed them last time they took the chance?

Even if say Hasbro acquired the license for a penny, made figures that make Marvel Legends look like crap, priced them at $6.00 MSRP, they'd still be unable to put it in a store and sell it because every vender would remember this failure. The brand is poison now at retail. Ah, but what about someone like Matty with their own online store? Question, do you really think there are that many more Ghostbuster fans than ThunderCat fans? Ghostbusters couldn't make it. For a line that doesn't make it to retail, there is a very limited budget. That means lots of parts re-usage. Expect Lion-o, Mumm-ra, Tygra, Panthro, and all the other adult males to share a bodytype. Cheetara and Pumyra to share one. The kits to share one, assuming they get to the kits before they cancel the line. That's even without the usual Matty incompetence when it comes to handling their boy/collector brands.

I'm not saying there's zero chance for more figures, there's always a chance at SDCC exclusive figures, but TC is dead at retail and will likely be that way for a long time.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #25
Cat's Pajamas
Thunderian Commoner
Good points Pravus. I think Ghostbusters failed because there are so few interesting characters to make, and they made most of them. T-cats has a ton of great characters to draw from, both vintage and modern. But yes, it's certainly going to be a dicey road ahead. Thank you very much Bandai.
Cat's Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Huxtable85
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
I really can't see that happening.

This line is dead, venders aren't going to want to waste their very valueable shelf space on another manufacturer's products right after having lost out by shelving ThunderCats once already. No retailer, not even Toys R Us as an exclusive wanted to touch the Masters of the Universe Classics entirely because of the 2002 lines failure. (And before it's bought up, the 2 packs with DCU were because of the DCUC figures and a lot of incenting from Mattel.)

There is a tremendous amount of competition nowadays for vender shelf space and they're practically a very nervous bunch in that they don't like taking chances. They don't like having product sitting on their shelves not moving; they tend to have long memories about what product lines disapoint them.

This line had an uphill battle to begin with; Target wouldn't even stock them in store until the line had been out and was a proven seller. Then a few months after they get them in store the line is over? They'll remember that and avoid any and all ThunderCat figures in the future like the plague, regardless of what happens to the toy license for at least a few years. Consider this, Wal-mart underpurchased Avengers figures and Target underpurchased Transformers Prime figures because they had their doubts about them. Why would any vender buy any product (regardless who made it) from a line that completely failed them last time they took the chance?

Even if say Hasbro acquired the license for a penny, made figures that make Marvel Legends look like crap, priced them at $6.00 MSRP, they'd still be unable to put it in a store and sell it because every vender would remember this failure. The brand is poison now at retail. Ah, but what about someone like Matty with their own online store? Question, do you really think there are that many more Ghostbuster fans than ThunderCat fans? Ghostbusters couldn't make it. For a line that doesn't make it to retail, there is a very limited budget. That means lots of parts re-usage. Expect Lion-o, Mumm-ra, Tygra, Panthro, and all the other adult males to share a bodytype. Cheetara and Pumyra to share one. The kits to share one, assuming they get to the kits before they cancel the line. That's even without the usual Matty incompetence when it comes to handling their boy/collector brands.

I'm not saying there's zero chance for more figures, there's always a chance at SDCC exclusive figures, but TC is dead at retail and will likely be that way for a long time.
If a new line does happen, they just have to make believers out of retailers again...maybe including a better sales pitch to Toys "R" Us by adding them to their advertising commercials, essentially they would be the only retailers taking a chance on the new TCats line by another company, since a lot of them are skeptical!
Huxtable85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
I agree with Pravus Prime. This is going to be it for a long time outside of anything Mezco does or high end items.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Well...this sucks. Hopefully Bandai's sucky handling of the line doesn't hurt the chances of another company picking up the license too much. If another company does pick it up, I hope it's not Hasbro or Mattel. I feel both would handle things as bad, if not worse, than how Bandai has handled it.

Sadly Playmates is the only other company I would be ok with taking over the license.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
RedisPower
or SONIC RANGER!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
Well...this sucks. Hopefully Bandai's sucky handling of the line doesn't hurt the chances of another company picking up the license too much. If another company does pick it up, I hope it's not Hasbro or Mattel. I feel both would handle things as bad, if not worse, than how Bandai has handled it.

Sadly Playmates is the only other company I would be ok with taking over the license.
Too bad. They've pretty much got their hands full with TMNT 2012 and Classics.
RedisPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Huxtable85
Thunder Kitty
Playmates would be a fantastic toy company! I could imagine the new Cats Lair being made like the new Turtle Lair shown below:

Old 05-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
That Turtle Lair is bad ass. It will be a great display piece for plenty of other lines.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #32
Sportsandstuff
Thunder Kitty
I just hope the show can survive and Playmates would be awesome to pick the line up
Sportsandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #33
xander88
Thunder Kitty
This is very disappointing. I'd been so excited about these toys. Even before Bandai announced the toys, I had always said that if Thundercats toys were re-made, I'd definitely buy them. It had been a long time since I'd got this excited about toys due to the fact that Thundercats was the first TV show that I used to get really excited about as a kid and it had been so long since Thundercats toys had been made.
xander88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #34
Huxtable85
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsandstuff View Post
I just hope the show can survive and Playmates would be awesome to pick the line up
Your ebay store link is not working
Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #35
MegaGearX
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
Ah, but what about someone like Matty with their own online store? Question, do you really think there are that many more Ghostbuster fans than ThunderCat fans? Ghostbusters couldn't make it. For a line that doesn't make it to retail, there is a very limited budget. That means lots of parts re-usage. Expect Lion-o, Mumm-ra, Tygra, Panthro, and all the other adult males to share a bodytype. Cheetara and Pumyra to share one. The kits to share one, assuming they get to the kits before they cancel the line. That's even without the usual Matty incompetence when it comes to handling their boy/collector brands.
Ghostbusters was dependent on a third movie that never came, besides that franchise had no media in years besides the video game.

ThunderCats is much more fresh in people's minds with the new series.

One advantage to making ThunderCats is that there aren't alot of characters or variants. If Mattel did get the ThunderCats license and made a 12 month subscription "Club Thundera", we could get all of the major characters in two years. 12 main figures, SDCC exclusives and a sub figure. After that, keep on making characters until the line dies. Get the majors out of the way and continue until the Tank runs out of fumes.

Year One:
Lion-O
Mumm-Ra
Panthro
Ssslythe
Cheetara
Jackalman
Tygra
Monkian
Wilykit
Jackalman
Wilykat
Jaga

SDCC exclusive: Bandaged Mumm-Ra and Ma-Mutt
Sub exclusive: Snarf and Snarfer

Year Two:
Hammerhand
Tug Mug
Bengali
Ram Bam
Alluro
Cruncher
Pumyra
Chilla
Top Spinner
Red Eye
Lynx-O
Ratar-O

SDCC exclusive: Luna and Amok
Sub exclusive: Ro-Ber-Bill and Ro-Ber-Belle

Year Three:
Hachiman
Turmigar the Tuska
Willa
Safari Joe
Grune
Nadya
Reptilian Soldier
???????
???????
???????
???????
???????

SDCC exclusive: Snowman of Hook Mountain and Snowmeow
Sub exclusive: Mandora and bike

The scariest part would be the tooling issue and shared parts.

Last edited by MegaGearX; 05-28-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
I don't think shared parts would be too bad on OS figures. They all pretty much had the same body type. The NS would be problematic with that though as their designs and silhouettes were purposefully differentiated from each other.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #37
Jack-Pumpkinhead
Thunderan Thespian
This is both sad and not surprising. I mean, the figs are ok, they're not great. And again, it was so hard to find the damn things, it's like 2003 He-Man all over again. But since this isn't a series dependent on toys, maybe there will be hope of the series continuing.
Jack-Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #38
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Take this as a grain of salt, the same source that rumored me the line cancellation and potential new company pickup it up in the spring said mattel is off the list for potentials, and brace yourselves..hasbro is stirring interest. However, don't expect for hasbro to admit anything. He said there were 3 other companies interested but couldn't disclose names. He also said mezco is gonna continue with the "statues" but don't expect alot of product until after the show resumes. Rule of thumb, when you start to see a compnay re releasing stuff and not putting out new figures in the line...good chance it's going under,lol/
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #39
Huxtable85
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7000 View Post
Take this as a grain of salt, the same source that rumored me the line cancellation and potential new company pickup it up in the spring said mattel is off the list for potentials, and brace yourselves..hasbro is stirring interest. However, don't expect for hasbro to admit anything. He said there were 3 other companies interested couldn't disclose names. He also said mezco is gonna continue with the "statues" but don't expect alot of product until after the show resumes. Rule of thumb, when you start to see a compnay re releasing stuff and not putting out new figures in the line...good chance it's going under,lol/
Cool No Mattel! They have no longevity with their products anyway...who could the other 3 companies be besides Hasbro?? Any who thanks for the update
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #40
MegaGearX
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxtable85 View Post
Cool No Mattel! They have no longevity with their products anyway...
Except for MOTU (4 years+), DCUC (5 years) and JLU (10 years).

Quote:
who could the other 3 companies be besides Hasbro?? Any who thanks for the update
Jazwares?
Playmates?
NECA?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #41
Ruination04
Ancient Spirit of E-Ville
Quote:
I certainly hope this is true!

Quote:
Take this as a grain of salt, the same source that rumored me the line cancellation and potential new company pickup it up in the spring said mattel is off the list for potentials, and brace yourselves..hasbro is stirring interest. However, don't expect for hasbro to admit anything. He said there were 3 other companies interested but couldn't disclose names. He also said mezco is gonna continue with the "statues" but don't expect alot of product until after the show resumes. Rule of thumb, when you start to see a compnay re releasing stuff and not putting out new figures in the line...good chance it's going under,lol/
I'd love for Hasbro to get it! They know how to keep a line going..Look at TFs!

Last edited by Ruination04; 05-28-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Ruination04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #42
dpcphoto
ThunderCats Hooooo!
As of lately, I really dig Hasbro. I feel that they would best be suited to manage the property successfully
dpcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #43
Mongor
You got red on you.
I want a damn Kaynar figure. Now.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #44
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
If Hasbro gets it I hope the show switches from CN to the Hub. I think it would be much better handled there.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #45
Jack-Pumpkinhead
Thunderan Thespian
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGearX View Post
NECA?
YES. You know why? Thundercats Heroclix. I'd buy that shit up and play it for like 2 months straight.
Jack-Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #46
Starsapphire
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

we can hope!

Hopefully they make them proper this time...... -_-

no screw holes in the back of classics..... arrrrrgh
Starsapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #47
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Pumpkinhead View Post
YES. You know why? Thundercats Heroclix. I'd buy that shit up and play it for like 2 months straight.
They would rock with Icon Heroes Cat's Lair fo sure.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #48
Sportsandstuff
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxtable85 View Post
Your ebay store link is not working
Thanks for letting me know I had to shorten the link
Sportsandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #49
IndyCat
Thunderian Commoner
too bad to hear this news.
IndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #50
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Let's say it is Hasbro. It would be pretty cool if they did a Marvel Legends and Marvel Universe scaled figures for this property. We shall see. Hopefully more episodes of the cartoon are on the way.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote