TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats General Discussion

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Joe Moore
Administrator
That's the question that pops into my head every time someone mentions it. A live action movie, if done well, would be awesome. But what are the chances that it would actually be done well?

The best argument for throwing money behind it is the Transformers movie franchise (which has been a cash cow). But that's the cartoon adaptation that's the exception rather than the rule. I'm thinking a high quality CGI flick would be more feasible, and likely more cost effective.

Thoughts?
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
If it's not dark and adult themed, PG-13+, then it's gonna run the risk of being campy and cheesy on first glance, even if it's not intended to be that way. I think that's the problem. BUT, yes, I think its worth a shot.
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Echo7Solo
Thunder Kitty
I guess I'm one of the strange ones here but I'd like to see a real nice CGI movie. Not like a ninja turtles cgi but more down the line of FF or even the trailer for DCUO.
Echo7Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Reeds
Thunderan Q-Wing Pilot
Without writing and writing about Hollywood, blockbusters, and all that stuff, I'll just say that I know it will eventually happen, but I hope it never does.
Reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
racerguy76
Thunder Kitty
Live action all the way. That said the lines between live action and CGI are getting blurrier by the day.

I would like to see a darker more teen/adult story tho, nothing disney like. With the new cartoon coming, I'm sure any movie will be centered around the new storyline and charactors.
racerguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
LionO84
Thunder Kitty
I can see a live action movie done like Avatar. Then it would rock!
LionO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Bacala View Post
If it's not dark and adult themed, PG-13+, then it's gonna run the risk of being campy and cheesy on first glance, even if it's not intended to be that way. I think that's the problem. BUT, yes, I think its worth a shot.
Agreed!
ThunderTomkat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Bravestarr
Banned
They put some much crap out in Hollywood that them making a movie about TC certainly wouldn't HURT anything....
Might even be good...But even if it's not it's still good for brand popularity which=more toys.
Bravestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravestarr View Post
They put some much crap out in Hollywood that them making a movie about TC certainly wouldn't HURT anything....
Might even be good...But even if it's not it's still good for brand popularity which=more toys.
It can go both ways though, Bay's Transformers movies are loathed by some, loved by many, but Transformers globally outsells many other toylines. Meanwhile Rise of Cobra was loathed by many and didn't sell as much toys as Hasbro hoped.

So who knows. As long as a Thundercats movie isn't uber campy(which it has a chance to be), and the directors/writers actually give a damn for character development/story, it has a fighting chance to actually be good.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Echo7Solo
Thunder Kitty
even a bad movie will keep a line alive longer than doing nothing. Having said that a good movie will keep a line going even longer.
Echo7Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Snarf_snarf
Snarf
A live action movie would be awesome but like you said it has to be done right. It should be a PG-13 action flick.
Snarf_snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Michael'O
Thunder Kitty
Hi new guy here, if they are going to do a Thundercats Movie, I think it should be in the style of the New Clone Wars, CGI all the way, it would give the Movie more freedom to work.

Actually if they ever did a Masters of the Universe Movie that's the way I would like to see it done as well.
Michael'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
If done well, a live-action movie would definitely be preferred, imho. However I can see a well made CG movie doing quite well too. It really depends on who's working on it. Most especially the writers.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
ThunderTomkat21
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael'O View Post
Hi new guy here, if they are going to do a Thundercats Movie, I think it should be in the style of the New Clone Wars, CGI all the way, it would give the Movie more freedom to work.

Actually if they ever did a Masters of the Universe Movie that's the way I would like to see it done as well.
This would be a good route to take. None of the typical "it looks okay in comics/toys/cartoons but won't work in the real world, our solution, BLACK LEATHER DAMN.IT. OH AND NONE OF THAT SHIT WE SAW BEFORE WILL WORK EITHER SO YOUR THUNDERCATS WILL NOW LOOK NOTHING LIKE CAT PEOPLE AT ALL" bs.

Also, I am a fan of Clone Wars.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
frank911
Thunder Kitty
After seeing avatar i think it will be good to make a thunder cat movie
frank911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
TCProducer
Thunder Kitty
Yeah. I think they are blowing it by not making it a live action feature... and just doing a reboot of the animated series
TCProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
Hyper Jaguar
Thunder Kitty
Only if it's done right. I'd like to see a combination of the storyline from the '80's series and the new series. Not to mention, it has to have the right director. Someone like Guillermo del Toro or Terry Gilliam.
Hyper Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Monkian
Thunder Monkey
Live action would be a challenge to do right. That being said, I feel that CGI would be a flop and not any better. Not a fan, generally speaking, of CGI. It's either really well executed or it looks like crap. It's still in it's infancy and has a looooooong way to go yet. We're going to look back on some of this stuff one day and see that! The feasibility of such a project (a big screen movie) would rest squarely on the success of the animated property, which as of yet has not been determined. I think that it should be a resounding success, but it's not the 80's anymore and kids attentions are being pulled multiple directions at any given time. We'll see.
Monkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I've been thinking about it, and after seeing the new apes movie, I think a combination of mostly real-life settings and CGI characters would work well for a Thundercats movie. Though I still think that the people behind it will still be vastly more important to the outcome than the method they use.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #20
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
I think cgi would be better. I also think if there gonna do a movie they shouldn't recap and tell the story from the beginning. Assume that your audiance is tc fans cause who else is gonna go. It kind of sucks to go to a movie that has the same story as the series your watching if it doesn't add and is just a retelling. I would like to see a straight to Dvd movie about Leo lion-os relative from ep 7. They will never do that because it takes a chance to sell more toys away. I mean in the forum people talk about directors actors but not the story. Why is this?
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #21
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
I have no faith whatsoever that a live action movie would be done right.

It should be either complete CG or *gasp* dare I say it? An actual cartoon.

This could be argued, but when it comes down to it It is my opinion that animated movies that are based on cartoons are WAY better than live action movies based on cartoons. Which is better Transformers: the Movie? Or Michael Bay's Transformers? A Chipmunk Adventure? Or the live action Chipmunks?

Do I need to name all the bad live action movies based on cartoons? Underdog, Smurfs, Dudley Doright, Yogi Bear, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Inspector Gadget, The Last Airbender, Dragonball: Evolution, etc, etc.

Though I admit there are a few Gems like The TMNT live action movies and I rather liked the first Flintstones and Richie Rich, but I have to add that those movies didn't really stray too far from their source material.

Anyway the point is why can't we have actual animated movies based on our cartoon properties anymore? They wouldn't have to change anything and they could just focus on telling a good story.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #22
TheCopperkid
Thunder Kitty
i dont think that it would be made well imo but i really think that if if were done like avatar it'd be great. the creatures on avatat look like cats, they have like a feline snout, it's done really great. but unless james camren is going to write and direct it, i doubt it'll get an avatar budget to be able to use that technology. i'm very happy with the animated series and i would love a movie or anything else in the future. but i'm not holding my breath for it happen or be done to my expectations.
TheCopperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
Childsmonkey
Thunder Monkey
I prefer live action over CGI. The Masters of the Universe movie, with Dolph Lundgren, is one of my best childhood memories. Something about seeing Skeletor brought to life made the toy line that much more cooler. Maybe Frank Langella is available to play Mummra
Childsmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #24
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
I would've liked the Masters of the Universe movie a lot better if they never came to Earth. Stay in Eternia! But yes Frank Langella made one heck of a Skeletor.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #25
rchrz60
Lord of My Thundercats
I thought the MOTU movie was well done for the time. Yes I agree they should have stayed in Eternia, but it's still a good movie from my childhood. I think a live action TC movie would be awesome if it was done correctly. Don't make it campy, but you can't make it too dark either. You have to still pay homage to the original, but update the story for the new generation as well. Either way you look at it this may be difficult, but Hollywood is known to pull off things from time to time.
rchrz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
king kahn
Thunder Kitty
With the new toon series I just don't think a movie is worth it anymore.

Not sure what kind of story they could tell in 90-120 min?
king kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #27
rlw1984
Thunder Kitty
If they were to do this and plan to adapt it from the classic 80's cartoon than film makers would definitely have a lot of pressure on them. Fans of the original series would expect a faithful retelling of the old cartoon and if they didn't and they changed the storyline around than fans would be furious at Hollywood for doing this to them and most likely complain.
rlw1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #28
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
I have no faith whatsoever that a live action movie would be done right.
Yeah, pretty much this.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #29
Grune the Destroyer
Thunder Kitty
I really think this would be a terrible idea. I honestly don't think there's a way to "do it right" in live-action WITHOUT looking cheesy. That's not necessarily bad, but I don't think its the way most fans would want it to go.

I think the relaunch animated series is everything we could want (except for the fact there's not enough of it...yet!). I just can't see any benefit to a live-action film.

CGI? Animated? Maybe... but if so, I'd want it to be in continuity with the current TV series, not another continuity all its own. IMHO, the Transformers brand has been diluted by constant reinvention (giving the impression that...y'know... none of it really matters if you don't like a series/movie/comic, because, like buses, another one will be along in a few minutes).

Thundercats deserves better.
Grune the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
HopeforThundera
Snarf attack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grune the Destroyer View Post
I really think this would be a terrible idea. I honestly don't think there's a way to "do it right" in live-action WITHOUT looking cheesy. That's not necessarily bad, but I don't think its the way most fans would want it to go.

I think the relaunch animated series is everything we could want (except for the fact there's not enough of it...yet!). I just can't see any benefit to a live-action film.

CGI? Animated? Maybe... but if so, I'd want it to be in continuity with the current TV series, not another continuity all its own. IMHO, the Transformers brand has been diluted by constant reinvention (giving the impression that...y'know... none of it really matters if you don't like a series/movie/comic, because, like buses, another one will be along in a few minutes).

Thundercats deserves better.
I definitely agree with this...As much as I would like to see an actual movie, I think if it was turned in to live-action, it would be somewhat hard to get the cats right in the first place...It would kind of look cheesy to me. Though I do love Thundercats, I think I would just stick with the animation quality of it lol. And now that there's two versions of the cartoon, it would probably be a bit hard to style the cats and really make them LOOK like cats but in a cool way...If that makes sense. I hope it does
HopeforThundera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
Thunderian scholar
Jaga's disciple
I'd say, taking directly a shot for Thundercats 2011 - the backstories are better - modernized. Besides Snarf isn't talking.
Thunderian scholar is offline   Reply With Quote