TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
Thundercats Ep 8 - The Duelist and The Drifter Discussion

Use this as a countdown, live discussion, and post ep recap place to talk!

Thundercats 108 The Duelist and The Drifter airs tonight at 8:30 PM on Cartoon Network.
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Slithe
Lizard King
I'm excited for this next episode. Thus far the episodes have been a nice blend of incorporating/bringing new characters into the mix and expounding upon the original characters and their stories within the new mythos. It's not all win, but nothing ever is. That being said, I'm still extremely happy and have very little to offer in the way of complaints or criticism. I'm just pleased to see a childhood memory resurrected and brought to life once again. My only real complaint? I wish I had a son to share it with! In good time.. ;o)
Slithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Will be nice to see a new episode as it airs (missed the previous two episodes, and had to watch them online). Should be interesting to see where they take the story in this episode. I think it's safe to assume that this'll be another episode for Lion-O to learn an episode in.
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Ok, now I'm kinda tired of the "whiskers" in every episode.
dj7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Geez lion-o got whooped already! Where's the live discussion
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Show just finished on the east coast. Great episode!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
My mom found the sword maker's voice familiar. She thinks it's a person who played a teacher on Boy Meets World years ago, which if she's right, is probably intentional due to Lion-O being voiced by Will Friedle. Anyone can confirm or whatever on that?
Wilyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Icespark
Thunder Kitty
Some quick thoughts.

The Drifter makes me think of the Chesire Cat, if done by Studio Ghibli.

The Dualist's design is like a weird cross between Sesame Street's the Count, and Final Fantasy's Gilgamesh.

I loved the little contest! Trial by Stone, anyone?!

Snarf is still adorable.

I like the multiple designs for currency; the little scroll-looking pieces were a nice touch.

I wish I knew who played the Drifter.

I liked how it didn't take long for Lion-O to realize that the Drifter was talking about himself in that story; the writers could have dragged it out, and them not doing so made for a nice change from what could have been a cliche.

I also loved the little exchange between Tygra and Panthro at the beginning of the episode.

A small note that I though

All in all, a very fun episode, with beautiful animation, and a pretty good lesson for Lion-O to learn too.

I can't wait until next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyjo View Post
My mom found the sword maker's voice familiar. She thinks it's a person who played a teacher on Boy Meets World years ago, which if she's right, is probably intentional due to Lion-O being voiced by Will Friedle. Anyone can confirm or whatever on that?
I think I've heard his voice somewhere before, but, I can't place it. It seems very familiar though.

Last edited by Icespark; 09-09-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Icespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Great episode, if a bit of a lull compared to the previous two. Had some very anime-ish moments to it (mostly during the big fight). I loved all of the little nods to characters from the original, along with some new species. The turtle and parrot were my two favorite background characters/species.

The episode was very Lion-O centric, but they got some good Snarf bits in there too. I love how they're handling the owner/pet relationship. Especially Lion-O responding to Snarf like he understands him. Also, Snarf's little bit where he mimmicked them fighting was absolutely hilarious. Had me laughing so hard my eyes teared up a little. Snarf needs a 6" scaled figure and a life-sized plush ASAP!

Not much of the other main team, but it was nice to see they weren't forgotten about in this episode. I'm already looking forward to the next episode. It's just too bad it won't be airing next week...
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
dj7000
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
He reminded me of the snowman in Rudolph. Bule ives?(rip)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
PANTHRO OF SAVANNAH
THUNDERCATS HHOOOOO
Episode was great. But that's the season finally. I along with with lion o of savannah (my cusion) feel that was not worthy of a season finally. I mean really that was the season finally. Last weeks should have been this weeks season finally and this weeks should have been last weeks, or even the fourth episode.
PANTHRO OF SAVANNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Thundercat4Life
Thundercat!!!
this would have been a great episode to introduce Haichiman???????

Right....... or did you see him?????

hmmmmmmmmmmmm............
Thundercat4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
I would call this episode filler. I would also call it well done and entertaining. It did bother me that Tygra was working on the thundertank instead of Panthro though.

Last edited by PANTHRO HOOO; 09-09-2011 at 08:23 PM..
PANTHRO HOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercat4Life View Post
this would have been a great episode to introduce Haichiman???????

Right....... or did you see him?????

hmmmmmmmmmmmm............
exactly what I thought
Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHRO OF SAVANNAH View Post
Episode was great. But that's the season finally. I along with with lion o of savannah (my cusion) feel that was not worthy of a season finally. I mean really that was the season finally. Last weeks should have been this weeks season finally and this weeks should have been last weeks, or even the fourth episode.
This wasn't the last episode of the first season. It's the last episode on the Season 1 Book 1 dvd, but definitely not the season finale.

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 09-09-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7000 View Post
Ok, now I'm kinda tired of the "whiskers" in every episode.
I think the writers are making whiskers in tc like frack in battle star galactica. Much less affective though.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHRO HOOO View Post
I think the writers are making whiskers in tc like frack in battle star galactica. Much less affective though.
Or Scrap in TF: Prime. Ehh. Nothing we can do about it for future produced episodes. We can probably affect future unproduced ones though if we hate it that much, I guess
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
Joe Moore
Administrator
Thundercats Ep 8 - The Duelist and The Drifter Review
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
SaberKat
New Fan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
This wasn't the last episode of the first season. It's the last episode on the Season 1 Book 1 dvd, but definitely not the season finally.
It's finale not finally.

Last edited by SaberKat; 09-09-2011 at 08:37 PM..
SaberKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
Thundercat4Life
Thundercat!!!
I think the one in purple with the oriental accent and sayings was a reference to..... well maybe?????
Thundercat4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberKat View Post
It's finale not finally.
YES! I was wondering what people were talking about.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
SaberKat
New Fan
Quote:
The Drifter was voiced by Stephen Root and I don't believe he was in Boy Meets World.
SaberKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
Balgus82
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Mr. Feeny was William Daniels (who played KITT on Knight Rider btw), but the Drifter was Stephen Root (the stapler guy on Office Space).

Also the Duelist was Miguel Ferrer.
Balgus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
Pinero
Thunder Kitty
another great episode, love the angle they taking.. snarf talked! realize lion-o is still young and snarf is a baby who have yet begun to talk
Pinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Tony_Bacala
Cornelius Tunar FTW
I dug the ep yet again. But, it didn't continue the "every week gets better" streak since ep 4.

I'm just surprised how not annoyed I am by the filler eps. There is something new and entertaining buried in each ep enough to keep it going.

Definitely dig the duelist. Want to see a toy of that with a sword case you can add swords to over time from different toys.
Tony_Bacala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
Covenant
Thunder Kitty
My favorite episode so far! Finally Lion-O gets to win without the Sword of Omens! It was already starting to get tedious seeing the Sword of Omens win every fight for Lion-O. It was refreshing to see him win with his own skills instead of magic powers.
Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
SPLIT LIP
King of Braves
Damn Good episode. It didn't keep the pace of previous ones, but it felt like it didn't need to. It felt like a breather episode, a chance for the established status quo to finally set in. And yet it's not like the characters themselves have stopped. We see that they're trying to use the Book of Omens to navigate the Thunder Tank, which is pretty cool and a great way to not only keep the macguffin subdued without writting it out, plus it showcases the heroes' creative thinking.

Lion-O's charatcer has been more firmly established, and I like that his impatient nature wasn't the main problem, it was his straight-forward attitude. Though the impatience and ego were both touched on, they are not viewed as something he needs to rid himself of completely. Yes he was humbled, but the moral was to be a better fighter, not a better person, which I liked. I like that we can have "flawed" heroes who are maybe a little cocky and antsy, but it's not a damning quality.

The drifter was a neat character. Excellent voice, and while I liked his actual ability to just drift along the winds, I have to ask.... um, how? Was he always like that, or did losing his sword make him... light or something? I dunno. The duelist was okay. Interesting design. Charatcer was very standard villain. I liked how his very ornate design, along with his intricate sword backpack put him visually at odds with his surroundings. Everything was very subdued, worn-out, plain, while he was very busy, colourful, clean. Lion-O seemed like a visual in-between point.

Also I seriously enjoy Snarf now. He reminds me of my French Bulldog. Hyper, fat and adorable.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #28
Lion O of savannah
TruthJusticeHonorLoyalty
Now that I have learned this was not the season finale, I have watched the episode again, and have to say I enjoyed it more. I like how Lion O is still learning life lessions from friends he meets along his journey instead of from his fellow cats. I look forward to the book 2 episodes, which according to comcast won't be for awhile. In 2 weeks they start book 1 episodes again. I guess ill wait and see. I am also looking forward to the next wave o figures. Hoooooooooo
Lion O of savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #29
Lion O of savannah
TruthJusticeHonorLoyalty
And I agree with split lip, snarf reminds me of my pug Prince.
Lion O of savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
Devinebull1978
Thunder Kitty
Sabercat - With regards to your signature, would you please remove or change it! I find it very offensive ........

Last edited by Devinebull1978; 09-09-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Devinebull1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
cathartic cat
Thunder Kitty
This episode didn't feel like filler at all, every episode seems to develop the characters more and more, for a series aimed at kids, Thundercats 2011 far surpasses anything I've witnessed before. The character Drifter was superbly defined. I read somewhere that one of the producers mentioned that the tone of this series aims to treat each episode as more of a movie and by calling it a movie means that they are going to make 'filler' episodes like this resonate at an epic scale, then I say keep these fillers coming in, I think they're wonderful.
Let the main plot reveal itself slowly, we need to explore the world of Third Earth, I find it more exciting than the Clone Wars universe.

Last edited by cathartic cat; 09-09-2011 at 11:23 PM..
cathartic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #32
Death2Fanboys
Red Eye
I liked this episode. It felt like a crossed between a Chambara and spaghetti western movie.

I also notice a samurai in the begining when Lion O enters the town...Hachiman maybe?
Death2Fanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #33
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
I'm actually enjoying these off shoot episodes more than the main arc. I thought the Drifter was a fantastic and very original character much like the flower people.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #34
PANTHRO HOOO
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinebull1978 View Post
Sabercat - With regards to your signature, would you please remove or change it! I find it very offensive ........
Cant tell if serious.

if so do you know your sig says your a thundercats ho? I mean im not affended by anything either of you say but thats just me. Why so defensive over Ronald?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #35
Devinebull1978
Thunder Kitty
80's cartoons like Heman and Thundercats might have had a homoerotic undertone. Why bring into the equation my favourite fastfood clown mmmm
Devinebull1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #36
Balgus82
sorry edited out post. don't see a delete button.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #37
Sideswipe80
Thunder Kitty
My DVR didn't record it!!!
Sideswipe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #38
BB Shockwave
Thunder Kitty
Episode 8: Download link (178 MB)

Quote:
Geez, learn english! I am hungarian and I speak better english then this. "Season finally" = "Season Finale" and "Cusion"="Cousin". Plus, it is NOT the season finale.

I thought it was a good episode. It takes a break from the main plot, but further develops Lion-O's character. Don't forget, like in LOTR, the first 13 episodes will mostly be about Lion-O's spiritual journey, where he matures to be a good king - most likely culminating in the next two-parter "Lion-O's Trials".
BB Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #39
PANTHRO OF SAVANNAH
THUNDERCATS HHOOOOO
We'll I never been more happier to find out that I was wrong about this being the season finale. Thanks for info. Sorry about the miss spells BB Shockwave.
PANTHRO OF SAVANNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #40
RedAlert Rescue
Thunder Kitty
Whiskers = B*ll*cks in my view.

But yes it is very much like the way fake swearwords are used in Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Ewoks, Pirates of Dark Water, & Judge Dread.

Thanks for the link.
RedAlert Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #41
Wilyjo
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlert Rescue View Post
Whiskers = B*ll*cks in my view.

But yes it is very much like the way fake swearwords are used in Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Ewoks, Pirates of Dark Water, & Judge Dread.

Thanks for the link.
Suddenly, whiskers sounds better when replaced by b*ll*cks in my head.

Also, thanks for the info on who played the Drifter. Strange, I looked up his roles and didn't find anything I particularly remembered, but there was still something familiar about it. Huh.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #42
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
Solid episode.

Because it's a kids show I'm willing to give it a pass on the somewhat heavy handed lesson of the episode and how fast the 180 came in the duel, as well as the duel itself not being the best choreographed from a pure swordplay POV.

That said, everything else was great. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Drifter is a great character, the town was interesting and full of little homages (Sectaurs guy in the crowd at the stone), and several of the story elements really worked. In addition we need some episodes where Lion-O learns to be a better swordsman.
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #43
Joe Moore
Administrator
Thundercats Ep 8 - The Duelist and The Drifter HD Screen Caps
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #44
Joe Moore
Administrator
Enough with the grammar nazi's folks. That crap won't fly here. Keep it on topic and keep it civil.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #45
Sideswipe80
Thunder Kitty
Thanks for the link Shockwave. When is the next episode? My guide doesn't show anything.
Sideswipe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #46
decepticat
Snarf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe80 View Post
Thanks for the link Shockwave. When is the next episode? My guide doesn't show anything.
No episode next Friday as they pre-empted it for the Star Wars season premiere, then according to my guide the next Friday{23rd} is a repeat of the 1st episode. So it appears that we may have hit the "mid season" break where they replay episodes for a few weeks then pick back up in a month or so with new ones.
decepticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #47
LionO84
Thunder Kitty
I loved it. Sure it was a filler, but at least Lion-O learned a life lesson and matured a bit with it. So far I haven't been let down one bit by this series.
LionO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #48
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe80 View Post
Dan Norton said last night in the crew chat that the show will have a 6 week break from new episodes.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #49
NIBMRatchet
Transformers, Baby!
Snarf reminds me of Pikachu... the looks, the voice... CUTE!
NIBMRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #50
DESTRO
Overlord Of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
Dan Norton said last night in the crew chat that the show will have a 6 week break from new episodes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!