TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 08-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
THUNDER JEDI
Thunderian Commoner
Been a while since I've bought any TC toys or posted about finding variants, but last night I found a lone 6" Lion-O figure in a store called Roses. It looked different to me, so I got it for the low price of $5.

First I noticed that the paint details on the face and the color plastic used on the head are slightly different. Then when I compared it to my 1st release and second release, I realized this is a revision of the 1st release and that the second release is different from both the 1st two figures. Not only are their heads different, but the gold color of the claw shields are different too. The packaging is different too. The 1st has a blue color background with the CN logo, the 2nd has a green background with no logo, and the 3rd has a dark grey/green background with no logo and the red snap tag. They also have different UPC numbers: BAI, BAI-R1, BAI-R2. Any way here is a list of differences and some pics

1st Release BAI
-Light color face paint details
-Light color head plactic
-Light gold color claw shields
-Blue card back with CN logo

1.5 Release BAI-R1
-Dark color face paint details
-Pink toned color head plastic
-Dark gold color claw shields
-Green card back no logo

2nd Release BAI-R2
-Darker color face paint details
-Pink toned color head plastic
-Medium gold color claw shields
-Dark Green card back no logo
-Red snap tag
-6" Tygra figure displayed on back of card

THUNDER JEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
Very cool. I really am into seeing all of the variants. I barely see any Thundercats merchandise in stores anymore. Thanks for sharing!
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
THUNDER JEDI
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adssse View Post
Very cool. I really am into seeing all of the variants. I barely see any Thundercats merchandise in stores anymore. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, thanks for replying. TC Bandai 2011 is almost gone completely. To find a variant this late in the game is pure luck. The color variations are more noticable in person, but the pics kinda get the differences out in view. I'm really happy that I found this figure. All the original Lion-O figure variations are based on color differences, more extreme, but it's cool anyway.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
These are not true variants ...more like running changes
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
THUNDER JEDI
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lody View Post
These are not true variants ...more like running changes
Aren't running changes what make variants?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Lody
The ORIGINAL Thundercat
No

A variant is a figure that was intentional by the manufactuer

Rise of Cobra Snake Eyes with Black Timber and the version with a White Timber

That's a variant.

A figure with Dark brown highlights in their hair vs the normal light brown

Runing change or error.
Lody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
THUNDER JEDI
Thunderian Commoner
Well there are 4 different versions of the first 12back star wars figures cardbacks and Luke Skywalker figures with different shades of blonde and brown hair. The light brown hair Luke is considered a variant of the dark brown haired Luke or the blond hair vs the lemon hair are considered variants which where running changes. These Lion-O figures are different and it was intentional judging by the different cardbacks and colors on the figures head and claw shields.