TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > Thundercats Collecting > Collection Showcase

Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Hi, am new here. I'm not all that keen on forums but I've joined here cos my love of the original ThunderCats got re-ignited cos of the Classics figures and I've started buying up some of the old figures again (mainly because as nice as the Classics are, it sucks to not have more characters and a lot of the original figures still hold up well enough today). And I thought joining this forum might help me get some good deals and help complete any incomplete or broken toys I obtain. I can't go crazy buying stuff as I'm unemployed and waiting to start training to become a teaching assistant so I have to take my time and really hunt for the best prices. The Tomb Fortress was my christmas present to myself and even then I feel I got a pretty good price for it considering it's condition and size.

As a kid I only ever had Mumm-Ra and Snowman. For some reason I was never given many ThunderCats despite it being my fave cartoon ever and regularly buying the Marvel Comic. About 10 years ago I did buy up a lot of the old toys including all the original main cats and mutants and had the tank and fistpounder. That entire collection had to get sold back in 2006 though to pay rent and bills cos my life was pretty down at that point and priorities had to be made. Things are better now so the urge has started coming back mainly prompted by the short-lived Classics and rewatching the cartoon again on DVD.

Ok so my current collection includes:
8 inch Classic Lion-O
8 inch Classic Tygra
6 inch Classic Lion-O
6 inch Classic Mumm-Ra
2011 4 inch Mummy Mumm-Ra - I've no interest in the 2011 cartoon at all. Tried a few episodes, didn't like it. I bought this figure online for 99p cos at first I thought it looked more like the 80's Mumm-Ra than the original mummy toy did (which I eventually got anyways in the Tomb) but when it arrived I realised it's far too small to work in that role.

Vintage Cats:
Mini Panthro - that I found in a car boot sale a while ago and forgot I even had til recently.
Snarf - was my first actual vintage purchase of this collection cos of his size scale to the 8 inch Lion-O and Tygra.
Mumm-Ra's Tomb Fortress - missing staff (which I don't think he ever had in the show anyways), and the tail on the reptile statue has the bottom hinge post broken off but functions and displays fine anyways. The Tomb arrived yesterday (with original box in decent condition) for £41 including the hefty postage costs.
Ma-Mutt
Thundertank - missing one set of treads. One paw is broken inside (the tab that connects to the overal mechanism), I've opened it up and made a temporary replacement bit til I can get a 'new' unbroken paw. Displays fine for the meantime.
Skycutter - seems complete and works fine. Cost only a few pounds.
Thunderclaw - works but missing handles.
Mini Cat's Lair - missing symbol but I'm making a replacement.
Slithe - great condition and with axe.
Rataro - in great condition just missing weapons and he cost only 99p.
Berbil Belle
Snowman - with spear and shield
Cringer - from MOTU was only 99p and gonna get repainted into Snowmeow (which I've seen other people do).

Cloth at the bottom is what I've been using to add missing clothing items. I'm gonna be making Classics Mumm-Ra's cape, and give Slithe a lil skirty thing and such. I replaced Mumm-Ra's rubbery bandages (which I hated) for cloth ones I arranged more accurate to the show too. And you can probably see I've done some other work on him and a few other bits on figures (green in the Sword of Omens hilts on the Classics figures, red and black cat symbol on the tank, yellow on Snarf's arms and legs)

Anyways here's my little collection so far.

hm, took me a while to understand this '1. Required attachment missing. error message I was getting. Never seen that on a forum before. Just shoved my avatar into the attachments bit so the thread would work. Hope that is ok.
Attached Images

Last edited by Carnivac; 01-05-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Carnivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
pallas
Thunder Kitty
Mumm-ra totally needs a cape, I can't believe the 6" on didn't come with one. Would love to pics when you get one made.
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Yeah, I gotta find me some time to get started on that. I'm gonna make a template too so I can do several of them cos some friends of mine been asking for capes for their Classic Mumm-Ra's too. He just looks wrong without one.

Anyways today I got a Sword of Omens that's slightly taller than 8 inch Classics Lion-O. Not bad for about £6.20 with free shipping from Hong Kong. The said it would take 20-40 days to arrive but I bought it on 15th December and it arrived today (24th). Yeah it's too big for Lion-O figures and too small for me but it still makes a lovely display piece. The original Sword of Omens is just a beautiful, beautiful thing...

Here's size comparison with the Swords from 6 inch and 8 inch Classics Lion-O figures
Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
Looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing more.
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by adssse View Post
Looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas View Post
Mumm-ra totally needs a cape, I can't believe the 6" on didn't come with one. Would love to pics when you get one made.
Seeing as I had absolutely nothing else to do today (my christmas day is a lonely day) I finally had a go at the cape to keep myself busy.
http://www.thundercats.ws/classics-m...cations-30894/

Hope you like.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
man, it's impossible to get Lynx-O, Bengali and Pumyra when you're unemployed. They ain't cheap are they...?

This week I managed to get Mini-Monkian (with mace and some weird red tree thing I think came from a Mini's playset) and a tiny thundertank with oversized Lion-O molded into the seat. Got a few larger figures coming but I ain't gonna say in case I don't like them.

Had a friend from Russia stay over the other night and she was loving my action figures (particularly the movie Transformers, the lego-style Doctor Who minifigs and of course ThunderCats) and while she doesn't recognise any of the 'Cats she took a shine to the 8 inch Lion-O figure saying he was 'handsome with a kind but determined face like a good leader' and then said the 6 inch version had a 'bad mean face and dracula teeth'. Hehe. Nice to know even someone who's never seen ThunderCats also prefers the face on the 8 inch figure. I still don't get why the 6 inch figure couldn't have at least had an alternate head seeing as how the head on it pops off real easy anyways.

Last edited by Carnivac; 01-02-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
Got Berbil Bert. Cheaper than he usually sells for on eBay too. Very slight paint loss in places but easily fixed once I match that colour in the shop next time I go there.

Just need to find Bill (again annoyed cos I used to have Bill years ago in my previous collection) and then I'll have all three Berbils.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
I obviously need some more ThunderCats. Lion-O's having to make do with his 'back-up troops'.

Oh well. Cheetara's on her way (got her on eBay yesterday for £6 and includes three mini figures too, Lion-O, Tuskan and Hachiman).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berbilcatsho.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1500
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
I think I might be done at least for a while. It's not worth the money or trouble trying to collect these. I worked out how much I spent even on my current collection which doesn't include anything that valuable (I suppose the Tomb Fortress counts) and it's just made me realise I don't have that kind of money to spend on old toys. If some other company could continue the classics just so I could have the main characters able to be articulated and posed in more interesting ways on my shelf then I'd buy those but I can't have this take over my quite small home. I already had to sacrifice some other collections of mine in the past couple years (my vast Doctor Who collection is now just Doctor, Amy, the TARDIS, a Dalek and some of those lego-style figures, my movie Transformers is still my biggest collection and even that's been cut down to a third of what it was and I find myself missing some of those figures, especially when I watch the movies like I often do cos I loves those realistic giant robots fighting and transforming).

I do love ThunderCats (well the old show) but do I need to spend crazy amounts of money to show that? I've got other priorities. Heck, I still can't even drive a car yet. So that's gotta be done and lessons and tests and getting a car and insurance and everything on top ain't cheap. Plus I gotta pay for a college course to get the job I want as well. Being stuck in a tiny town with hardly anything in it, and absolutely crappy public transport (overpriced, unreliable and you can't go ANYWHERE in evenings or Sundays). Yeah I gotta get things sorted.

dang, just realised I've still got ThunderCats stuff coming in the mail I spent too much on too.

Last edited by Carnivac; 01-12-2013 at 02:59 AM..
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Carnivac
Thunder Kitty
I been inactive for a while due to other priorities (and generally finding myself in better moods when I limit my exposure to the internet forums in general :P ).

Anyways I got a few more cheap figures so here's my completed main hero cast of ThunderCats (meaning the affordable ones... no way I can afford Jaga, Bengali, Lynx-O and Pumyra). Wilykit & 'Kat were 99p for the both of them. 'Kat had a lot of paint wear so I started to fix him up and then got a bit carried away and made him as cartoon accurate as my current painting 'skills' allow. Tygra was cheap too (some paintwear that I need fixing up but may do a great deal more to make him look more accurate too). He's holding a 3 balled bolo whip from a bootleg Classics 8 inch Tygra figure. I bought a Tesco Value A4 Laminator (only £9.50) so I could print out and laminate some nice backdrops from the show. The camera flash is obviously shining off the Cat's Lair here and the line down the middle is because it's two A4 pieces together. Not perfect but I felt it made a much nicer backdrop than the back of the bookcase (which is broken anyways)

Last edited by Carnivac; 03-01-2013 at 09:33 AM..