TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Toys and Merchandise

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
dpcphoto
ThunderCats Hooooo!
I'm just sitting here looking at all my figures both new and old, and wondering about the fate of the line. I just can't understand why it was marketed so poorly -- by all accounts, not just Bandai. I mean, there is such a massive potential here. To see it do so poorly, or **gulp** fail... well, it's just beyond me. But anyways, I started to think about the classics line. I like the 8 and 6 inch molds, but only because they are updates. As a kid all I wanted was better articulation. I wanted Lion-O to be able to move his damn arms and legs. It's bizarre, but now as an adult I kind of miss that crappy, cheap mold (only referring to the classics line). Am I the only one? It's so nostalgic.

I always thought that it if you were going to do a classics line, do just that and use the same molds and packaging. I remember back in 2000, Mattel did it with the MOTU commemorative series and it was the coolest thing. I spent mad money and traveled everywhere to find each and every single one released. That's when I first used eBay. I even had to order out of the JC Penny Christmas catalog, haha! My point is, no matter what the cost, I had to have those reproductions. As a true fan still all of these years later, I needed every single one.

I'm not sure if the LJN molds even exist anymore, but just thought it could be a cool idea.

Also, I always thought that if you were updating a classics line, it would be cool to see the it brought back in the 4" style or smaller. More specifically, in a 4 pack or something. Remember the mini figures... what a blast they were!

Well, that's my thoughts, dreams, whatever on that subject
dpcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Kregermeister
RANKINBASS!
Great post bro!

First...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcphoto View Post
I'm not sure if the LJN molds even exist anymore, but just thought it could be a cool idea.
They do. Ive come across a few but they are insanely priced. It would be better to just copy a mint figure and retool it. The molds are mostly in the hands of fans and god knows who else, though im sure alot exist of each.

I believe (could be wrong) LJN was bought by Jakks. Jakks has no fucking idea what they own or what they can or cant do. That being said they cant release anything anyway without the licence lol.

Second...

It would be really cool to go retro packaging but have newer figures! Bandai did a fine job making the vintage stuff. They looked classic and clean but obviously had a few flaws. If someone were to continue they need good wrist articulation. Thats why the bandai ones were killer! Lots of good poses but clean articulation lines.

Might be in the minority but I personally dont want MOTUC type Thundercats. Matty starts lines and doesnt finish em. What the next company SHOULD do is copy what bandai started but improve where they failed. It would help fill in the gaps and not make us all as bitter for what we already bought!
Kregermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Sportsandstuff
Thunder Kitty
Hopefully Mattel can pick up the license
Sportsandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
I dont necessarily think I would like to see the LJN molds re-used, but I would absolutely love to have more classic style Thundercats. I also really enjoyed the ones (both 6" & 8") ones that Bandai released.
adssse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
xander88
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by adssse View Post
I dont necessarily think I would like to see the LJN molds re-used, but I would absolutely love to have more classic style Thundercats. I also really enjoyed the ones (both 6" & 8") ones that Bandai released.
Me too. If the new series is failing and the toys aren't doing very well as a mainstream toyline then why doesn't bandai continue with the classics line anyway, rather than abandoning Thundercats completely. The classics were only supposed to appeal to collectors and older fans, if new fans bought them too then that would be a bonus for bandai. If the classics continue as a non-mainstream line, people will buy them.
xander88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Ruination04
Ancient Spirit of E-Ville
I was thinking about this last night.....how this franchise has HUGE potential. I don't understand how bandai just put a few toys on the shelf and then that's it. No one knows about them. Cartoon Network pts a show on tv and then puts it on hiatus for awhile. Then puts it on Saturday morning. But it's a show no one knows about. There is NO promotion for this line. WB, CN, Bandai, they all get an F on their report cards!
Ruination04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Grune the Destroyer
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsandstuff View Post
Hopefully Mattel can pick up the license
This would be a disaster. Mattel should not be allowed near the licence.
Grune the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
nitewing73
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grune the Destroyer View Post
This would be a disaster. Mattel should not be allowed near the licence.
I totally agree and I own quite a bit of Mattel figures.
nitewing73 is offline   Reply With Quote