TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats Cartoons

Old 07-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
test
You don't stand a chance
Just re-watching some old classic episodes and they got me thinking.... Did anyone else think that the Ancient spirits of evil were just a bit too soft on Mumm-ra ???
It seems that Mumm-ra pissed them off several times through his failure to defeat "those wretched thundercats" and also through his general insubordinance whenever he found a new powerful toy such as the golden sphere .... yet time after time they threaten to banish/destroy him blah blah blah and then either do nothing or forgive him for the next episode lol

Gotta love the classics ..... its the silly things like that I love about it
test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
The writting quality certainly wasn't up to par back then, but I still love it all the same.

When you look at the villain of the week episodes, how badly they did in comparison to Mumm-Ra...the ASoE really were best off with Mumm-Ra.

It's too bad the Lunataks didn't keep their threat level up where they once did either.
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
test
You don't stand a chance
yeah ... I noticed that the lunataks started out as a real strong force and then dwindled down to almost nothing. I love it to bits , but there is a real definate shift in quality during season 2 where everything seems to go a bit downhill. The animation improves but the writing loses its grip and becomes very sloppy. I hadnt watched my season 2 for ages and recently went all the way through from season 1 to season 2 , but season 1 still gives me goosebumps even today.

On the subject of the ASOE I suppose if you look into it a bit deeper they need mumm-ra just as much as he needs them because nobody else would really be capable of doing their bidding lol
test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by test View Post
yeah ... I noticed that the lunataks started out as a real strong force and then dwindled down to almost nothing. I love it to bits , but there is a real definate shift in quality during season 2 where everything seems to go a bit downhill. The animation improves but the writing loses its grip and becomes very sloppy. I hadnt watched my season 2 for ages and recently went all the way through from season 1 to season 2 , but season 1 still gives me goosebumps even today.

On the subject of the ASOE I suppose if you look into it a bit deeper they need mumm-ra just as much as he needs them because nobody else would really be capable of doing their bidding lol
The Lunataks wrecked the ThunderCats stuff for a long time for sure. It's too bad Skytomb doesn't get talked about more often either. A mobile enemy HQ with an awesome synth-theme that rarely ever appeared in the later seasons.

Not to mention that they were a force with an actual theme as tight as the ThunderCats themselves. Seems like a rare creative commodity only matched by groups like He-Man's Snake Men (but then they didn't have vehicles to go along with that theme like the ThunderCats and Lunataks, what a waste).

I'd love it if the ASoE had an explanation as to why their power is so limited in our universe; particularily in the modern incarnation if it gets another season. They're practically Warhammer 40k Chaos Gods, by the look of it, without all the in-fighting.
CreepySariFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by test View Post

Nobody else wants mumm-ra's job even he doesn't want be the servant of the ASoE anymore but they own him
Big Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
moreprimeland
Prime Kitty
I've been watching the original TC's and I loved the first season, but the 2nd season, especially the Lunataks left a lot to be desired, imho. They were one of the silliest group of villians I can remember....and there have been quite a few, especially in the 80's. I agree that the animation was better but leaving out Tygra really spoiled it for me...I think toward the end (S2Bk2) he was only in 1 episode because they returned to their repaired Thundera and left him on 3rd Earth.
The ASoE tried to punish Mumm-Ra, but without him they couldn't do anything about the TC either, so they kept having to bring him back...he was their servant after all.
moreprimeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Lioconvoy
Thunder Kitty
The spirit world can't directly affect the physical world. That's why they need a conduit, like Mumm-Ra.
Lioconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote