TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums > The Lair - Thundercats Discussion > Thundercats News and Rumors

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
spike78a
Thunder Kitty
I just read on Toynewsi that Thundercats was not listed as a returning show on Cartoon Network's press release on next year's schedule. I thought it was a bad sign that they moved the series from friday night to saturday morning and the Bandai Toy Fair Thundercats booth was also a downer.

Cartoon Network Announces New & Returning Series Including "Beware The Batman" - No Sign Of ThunderCats - DC Comics - ToyNewsI.com

EDIT - Staff Update

Quote:
I have contacted cartoon network to see if they would clarify what is going on. The initial response was as follows:

"Thundercats just premiered its second season on March 24 and new episodes continue on Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. ET/PT."

I pressed a bit further, hoping to get a little more clarity. This was the response from that request.

"I understand, and while I’m sorry you are dealing with lots of inquiries it’s nice to know that the fans love the show and are so engaged. The premieres will continue."
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Pravus Prime
Ancient Spirit of Evil
This looks like another possible nail.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
L08e16o
Survivor of the Anointment Trials
Wow. They shouldn't have made the triangle so messy. Should have kept the romance out of it.

I think this is why they are included 14-16 in the DVD. There has to be something special about that episode 16.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Balgus82
It could just be that the next season won't be on until 2013. Especially if they have more hiatuses.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
stormbringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by L08e16o View Post
Wow. They shouldn't have made the triangle so messy. Should have kept the romance out of it.

I think this is why they are included 14-16 in the DVD. There has to be something special about that episode 16.
Yikes,I'm blaming the triangle of idiocy for this.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
Agreed.

Gosh if only they would've made more claymore and dr grey man episodes.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
spike78a
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgus82 View Post
It could just be that the next season won't be on until 2013. Especially if they have more hiatuses.
that would be extremely hopeful but i guess not out of the question, let's hope your right.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
baboco2
Wannabe Thunder Kitty
Maybe that means Warner Bros. is not letting cartoon network run the show from now on.
Maybe some other network will run it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
adssse
Thunderian Commoner
Here's to hoping that it will continue... I thought that the ratings were actually pretty good?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Balgus82
Quote:
Originally Posted by baboco2 View Post
Maybe that means Warner Bros. is not letting cartoon network run the show from now on.
Maybe some other network will run it.
I would love if it switched networks. Go somewhere that actually advertises the show. Don't know if that would actually happen though. Cartoons don't usually switch networks.....well unless you consider Fox prime time cartoons.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
SirSapphire
Man of the Stacks
Quote:
I would love if it switched networks. Go somewhere that actually advertises the show. Don't know if that would actually happen though. Cartoons don't usually switch networks.....well unless you consider Fox prime time cartoons.
True, but Warner Brothers not only has lots of clout to sell the show to other channels, but their own networks to air the show on if they choose. Maybe it'll move to Saturday mornings on the CW like the Ninja Turtles did when 4Kids left Fox.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
spike78a
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSapphire View Post
True, but Warner Brothers not only has lots of clout to sell the show to other channels, but their own networks to air the show on if they choose. Maybe it'll move to Saturday mornings on the CW like the Ninja Turtles did when 4Kids left Fox.
i would be inclined to think this might be possible if it weren't for Bandai's poor Thundercats booth at the Toy Fair. would the WB want to continue a show if a toy company and network have already lost interest in it?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
Tracer
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
This and the hiatus. When there is that much dislike for most of the main protagonists you have got a big problem. Its a real shame. The show started out so strong too.

Last edited by Tracer; 03-29-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
The show has barely been back from hiatus and everyone is already assembling the show's coffin? What is wrong with you people...

This is AFTER there already rumors that modern ThunderCats was confirmed for 2 seasons of 26 episodes. We're getting 52 episodes total. We're in for a great time.

Need some proof that the absence on Cartoon Network Upfront means nothing? Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated didn't appear either, and it's DEFINATELY confirmed for a second season.

Last edited by CreepySariFan; 03-28-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
spike78a
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepySariFan View Post
The show has barely been back from hiatus and everyone is already assembling the show's coffin? What is wrong with you people...

This is AFTER there already rumors that modern ThunderCats was confirmed for 2 seasons of 26 episodes. We're getting 52 episodes total. We're in for a great time.

Need some proof that the absence on Cartoon Network Upfront means nothing? Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated didn't appear either, and it's DEFINATELY confirmed for a second season.
nothing is wrong with us were all responding to a published report on a press release by cartoon network in which thundecats was not included. to think this might not be a sign that show might be canceled is silly.
it very well may be that your right but to make the assumption that it be over is not crazy. also i'm sure in the history of television there has been a series that was canceled even though it had a previous order of episodes by the network that canceled it.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
I wouldn't mind that, but with how poorly CN has been handling the show so far, I would rather this be a sign that WB is moving it to a different channel. Either way, as long as they find a way for it to continue on, I'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike78a View Post
i would be inclined to think this might be possible if it weren't for Bandai's poor Thundercats booth at the Toy Fair. would the WB want to continue a show if a toy company and network have already lost interest in it?
Bandai's lackluster Toy Fair booth is most definitely not a sign that they've lost interest. It was a sign that Bandai was poorly planning the reveal of the second wave. Instead of revealing everything back in November, they should have kept quiet till Toy Fair rolled around. Sure it would have been a longer wait, but it would have made for a great Toy Fair.

All-in-all this is most definitely a wait and see situation, but this bit of news definitely isn't helping the current mood of things...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
spike78a
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I wouldn't mind that, but with how poorly CN has been handling the show so far, I would rather this be a sign that WB is moving it to a different channel. Either way, as long as they find a way for it to continue on, I'll be happy.

Bandai's lackluster Toy Fair booth is most definitely not a sign that they've lost interest. It was a sign that Bandai was poorly planning the reveal of the second wave. Instead of revealing everything back in November, they should have kept quiet till Toy Fair rolled around. Sure it would have been a longer wait, but it would have made for a great Toy Fair.

All-in-all this is most definitely a wait and see situation, but this bit of news definitely isn't helping the current mood of things...
i hope your right on Bandai's poor planning and WB moving Thundercats to there network.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
Dr Kain
Thunderian Commoner
Can they just stop with Ben 10 already? The first series and the first two seasons of Alien Force were excellent. Everything after that decided to throw out the mature plotlines and go to childish antics that were not even present in the first series.

As for Thundercats, I'm pretty sure it isn't listed on there because it was already renewed. In fact, I thought I read the series is planned for 52 episodes, with 39 of them already being ordered. Plus, doesn't the returning episodes count as the new season according to CN?

On the negative side, it would not surprise me. CN cancels any show that is good. Transformers Animated, Symbionic Titan, the 2002 He-Man cartoon, Samurai Jack, Legion of Super Heroes, etc. They blame ratings, but they instead of repeating these shows throughout the week, they would rather show the same episode of Johnny Test 8 times a day.

Last edited by Dr Kain; 03-29-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Sining
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

Anyone remember wolverine and the xmen? great cartoon from a few years back. Was quite popular and was also said to have the 2nd season in production when the 1st season ended. What happened in the end? It was quietly cancelled.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Mongor
You got red on you.
Hope this helps the mood a bit:

Comics Continuum: ThunderCats for April

The breakdown for Thundercats for April, including the debut of Pumyra.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
nothing is wrong with us were all responding to a published report on a press release by cartoon network in which thundecats was not included. to think this might not be a sign that show might be canceled is silly.
it very well may be that your right but to make the assumption that it be over is not crazy. also i'm sure in the history of television there has been a series that was canceled even though it had a previous order of episodes by the network that canceled it.
Toy New International isn't a real press release from Cartoon Network though! They're just reporting on a badly put together promotion from CN.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised Young Justice and Green Lantern were even on the list, as the hiatuses on Young Justice have been worse than the ones against ThunderCats.

You know, all the comics that are in production right now to promote more ThunderCats worldwide, is just more evidence that the property holders are gearing up again to get things rolling for the franchise.

It's all completely ass backwards, thinking ThunderCats is dead by any means.

Last edited by CreepySariFan; 03-29-2012 at 12:32 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongor View Post

Thank you, there's even a "Curse of Ratilla" episode name up on the wikipedia entry.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #23
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:

Interesting episode synopses. Maybe this should be a separate news thread...?

I look forward to seeing Tygra's reaction to their being a whole village of Tigers, and the eventual introduction of Pumyra. The kitten centered episode should be interesting. Some further development of them will certainly be nice. Would be great to get some tidbits about their past.

Quote:
Thank you, there's even a "Curse of Ratilla" episode name up on the wikipedia entry.
Yeah...I'm going to take that with a grain of salt for the time being...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #24
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Yeah...I'm going to take that with a grain of salt for the time being...
Considering the new episodes airing in Ireland? Just have to wait in see, but I'll stay optimistic and enthusiastic.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Considering the new episodes airing in Ireland?
I'm....I'm not sure how that should affect my opinion of something stated on wikipedia...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #26
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
I'm....I'm not sure how that should affect my opinion of something stated on wikipedia...
Oh, you should totally stay skeptical, there's no doubt about that. I'm just hopeful it's true, that it does reflect an actual episode title, and that maybe we will get a modern Ratar-O and Ratilla eventually.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #27
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Oh, you should totally stay skeptical, there's no doubt about that. I'm just hopeful it's true, that it does reflect an actual episode title, and that maybe we will get a modern Ratar-O and Ratilla eventually.
I do admit that part of me wants it to be true, but I'm just going to wait and see. Could be true, could be a load of bull, won't know till it's either proven or disproven.

Quote:
Toy New International isn't a real press release from Cartoon Network though! They're just reporting on a badly put together promotion from CN.
Interesting, but still, the lack of any mention of Thundercats is a bit...disappointing to say the least. It's also doing nothing to improve the current depressed mood most of us are in about the future of the franchise. I know I'm trying to remain as hopeful as I can, but it ain't getting any easier.

Last edited by Ravenxl7; 03-29-2012 at 01:19 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #28
spike78a
Thunder Kitty
Quote:

Quite frankly, I'm surprised Young Justice and Green Lantern were even on the list, as the hiatuses on Young Justice have been worse than the ones against ThunderCats.

You know, all the comics that are in production right now to promote more ThunderCats worldwide, is just more evidence that the property holders are gearing up again to get things rolling for the franchise.

It's all completely ass backwards, thinking ThunderCats is dead by any means.
Toy News International isn't a press release..ok but at some point there was an actual press release issued from Cartoon Network in which the Thundercats were not mentioned as a returning series. a press release is a form of promotion and if this was a just badly put "promotion" will find out soon enough. i hope your right and i'm wrong i really do.

Last edited by spike78a; 03-29-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #29
ChazWolf
Thunder Kitty
I hope it keeps going I really like it, if only they could move away from the silly love triangle angle, they are not handling that well.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #30
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazWolf View Post
I hope it keeps going I really like it, if only they could move away from the silly love triangle angle, they are not handling that well.
I really don't see the difference between this and the whole Kamina/Simon/Yoko triangle from Gurren Lagann. Hormones do crazy things to your judgement, or did you not go through or forget puberty?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #31
CreepySariFan
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Toy News International isn't a press release..ok but at some point there was an actual press release issued from Cartoon Network in which the Thundercats were not mentioned as a returning series. a press release is a form of promotion and if this was a just badly put "promotion" will find out soon enough. i hope your right and i'm wrong i really do.
Like I was saying, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated wasn't on the list on Upfront either. It's getting a 2nd season.

Okay, I guess you want proof too:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #32
L08e16o
Quote:

What did I tell you. Thanks.

We will learn about tygra's past.

I know this show is about lion-o, but him learn a lesson all the time is boring.

I want to know about tygra, cheetara (???), and the kids.

Seems like pumyra is going to be a hardcore character.

Last edited by L08e16o; 03-29-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #33
L08e16o
Quote:
Like I was saying, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated wasn't on the list on Upfront either. It's getting a 2nd season.

Okay, I guess you want proof too:
How many rebots are there of Scooby-doo. Scooby-doo is popular.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #34
CrimsonMonkey
Thunder Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sining View Post
Anyone remember wolverine and the xmen? great cartoon from a few years back. Was quite popular and was also said to have the 2nd season in production when the 1st season ended. What happened in the end? It was quietly cancelled.
That had more to do with Disney buying Marvel and ending all the current contracts with TV so they they could create their own versions. Unlike the movies Disney has the rights to all of Marvel characters for cartoons. It's the same reason Super Hero Squad ended.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
CrimsonMonkey
Thunder Kitty
I think we should all calm down. The article is just about the 2012 Summer/Fall seasons. For all we know when the current run of T-Cats ends it'll be back in 2013. The toys are very popular here in Florida so I can't imagine the show is doing horrible. Then again perhaps WB wants to go in another direction or are planning a movie. There are an infinite amount of reasons for the WB to end this version.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #36
Balgus82
the episode titles are more or less accurate. They'd been leaked almost from the start of the show and the crew confirmed them a few months back.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #37
L08e16o
Quote:
the episode titles are more or less accurate. They'd been leaked almost from the start of the show and the crew confirmed them a few months back.
????
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #38
RoftheHood
Thunder Kitty
@ CreepySariFan

I agree. I think this article is simply someone trying to kick up a fuss on the forum here. It had been LONG confirmed that Thundercats is signed for 52 episodes. It has been LONG confirmed that they (to an extent) "rushed" the first season, and it has been LONG confirmed that Thundercats is doing just fine in ratings and popularity. Suddenly, just because there is NO mention of ANYTHING on some obscure article, the poster of this thread is making mountains of Mole (master) Hills.

With regards to the episodes in Ireland, I'll have to go back and find the article, but there was a RUMOR of some licencing issues with regards to airing the show in North America. Cartoon Network is also currently expanding. It was announced is Feb. that CN will be coming to Canada this year - So they MAY be waiting for that expansion before they start to really push Thundercats.

The toys: Bandai made it clear that Thundercats was their new life-line with regards to male oriented toys. I highly doubt that they have simply given up. Let's try to remember that so far there are only 14 episodes, they have as many toys out as they have characters. Let’s see what happens with Pumyra, and (crossed fingers) BENGALI!!!!!!

Perhaps we should all simply show our support for the show, instead of nay-saying and complaining.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #39
OmenSeeker
Thunder Kitty
I love the glass half-full thinking, but I have a bad feeling about the future of the show. The 52 episode "confirmation" came only from a Tweet by art director Dan Norton, correct? I'd hardly call that set in stone.

Why would Bandai, the makers of Power Rangers and Ben 10, consider Thundercats as a "lifeline" into the action figure market? Is that in an interview somewhere?

The list of returning series is not some shabby reporting, it's an actual PRESS RELEASE from CN that has been posted on many reputable sites, including Toonzone. Let's not shoot the messenger.

Knowing CN's treatment of past shows, I will in no way be shocked if Thundercats is gone after season 2. I just hope we don't get another series ending on a cliffhanger finale that will never be resolved.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenSeeker View Post
I love the glass half-full thinking, but I have a bad feeling about the future of the show. The 52 episode "confirmation" came only from a Tweet by art director Dan Norton, correct? I'd hardly call that set in stone.

Why would Bandai, the makers of Power Rangers and Ben 10, consider Thundercats as a "lifeline" into the action figure market? Is that in an interview somewhere?

The list of returning series is not some shabby reporting, it's an actual PRESS RELEASE from CN that has been posted on many reputable sites, including Toonzone. Let's not shoot the messenger.

Knowing CN's treatment of past shows, I will in no way be shocked if Thundercats is gone after season 2. I just hope we don't get another series ending on a cliffhanger finale that will never be resolved.
Mummra and Cheetara kissing while a shock Tygra and Lion-o watch. Cliffhanger.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #41
Balgus82
Lack of mention on the Upfront isn't really indication of cancellation. As has been previously said there have been shows that weren't mentioned in previous Upfronts that continued as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #42
Pizza Man Z
Thunder Kitty
I hope they move it to the CW, a more primetime channel and more kids without Cable watch it. If they do cancel it, I would not be surprised if we see something more along the lines of the original cartoon coming back. there is too much market out their for it and if they are making a Lion-o Halmark ornament, my hopes are not entirely gone for Thundercats.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
eero
"ero" with an extra "e"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man Z View Post
if they are making a Lion-o Halmark ornament, my hopes are not entirely gone for Thundercats.
But that's not Bandai making the ornament. Different companies license stuff all the time.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #44
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sining View Post
I stated many times before this TC cartoon could end up like wolverine & the xmen and i so wanted to see their take on the age of apocalypse too. If the axe this show at least give it a good ending
Old 03-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
Big Snarf
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
How many rebots are there of Scooby-doo. Scooby-doo is popular.
I wish he wasn't. Scooby-doo is annoying as hell
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #46
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post
I stated many times before this TC cartoon could end up like wolverine & the xmen and i so wanted to see their take on the age of apocalypse too. If the axe this show at least give it a good ending
and make sure MJ is not lead on another project. This show was a buzz and popular at Comic Conn. What happen? I know what I think happen.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #47
L08e16o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Snarf View Post
I wish he wasn't. Scooby-doo is annoying as hell
That dog has been surviving since the 60s.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
Ravenxl7
Thunderian Commoner
I just sent in a question to the T-cats crew via their Tumblr page. Not really expecting an answer to it, but figured trying couldn't hurt. If not a direct answer to my question, a statement from them on the situation of things would be great.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #49
stormbringer
Quote:
Mummra and Cheetara kissing while a shock Tygra and Lion-o watch. Cliffhanger.
That's our Jelenic!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
Balgus82
Dan posted on his Tumblr, but he only said that he can't officially comment.

The science of Artmath by Dan Norton, A recent Cartoon Network press release has cause a stir in the community because it doesn
Closed Thread