Thundercats Forums

Thundercats Forums (http://www.thundercats.ws/forum.php)
-   Thundercats Toys and Merchandise (http://www.thundercats.ws/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tower of Omens (http://www.thundercats.ws/showthread.php?t=2827)

Shenlon 08-14-2011 08:19 PM

Tower of Omens

The Tower of Omens play set should be releasing soon. What is everyone's take on it ?

I know it has got some pretty negative press. The Tower of Omens Isn't Doing It For Me - Topless Robot

Though LOL at them saying the clear figure is Lion-O.

I still plan on buying it though. Maybe I am just a sucker for anything cats.

Will you be buying it ?

Steevy Maximus 08-14-2011 08:43 PM

I think the Tower of Omens is personification of a big issue collectors don't seem to consider. It's not the 80s anymore, and playsets just don't sell like they used to.

On the one hand, yes, it is a sucktacular playset and clearly looks "hacked down" from something much more elaborate.

On the other hand, adding more more to the offering would have pushed the price well beyond the $40 pricepoint that retailers are going to offer this thing. And Thundercats does NOT have the proven sales history of Transformers, Star WArs, or even fricken' Ninja Turtles to try and push an over $50 playset at retail.

As is, the STar Trek Bridge playset from the last movie line also retailed for $40, and all you got was one electronic screen, a mat (cardboard?) and a handful of consoles. And you still had to buy another $100 of fucking figures to "complete" the thing (and all the figures weren't even released to mainstream retail!)

So, no, I will not be purchasing the "playset" and I question Bandai's decision to market that piece of crap alongside better value propositions like the Thundertank and deluxe figures.

Ravenxl7 08-14-2011 08:50 PM

It's cool, but I doubt I'll ever get it. If it still had that feature where it could combine into one long train-like vehicle, I'd be more interested in it. It's got some nice gimmicks to it, but nothing that interests me enough to buy it. Maybe seeing it in the show will change my mind, but even if it does, I'll still probably wait for it to go on clearance. If we ever get a playset of Mumm-Ra's pyramid or a new version of the cat's lair, I'd be interested in those enough to get them.

IndyCat 08-14-2011 08:57 PM

I might pick it up in clearance for 9.58. Lol. But the tower of omens is really sad. How exactly are you supposed t play with it? Go up and down the elevator and that's it? I would much rather have something else.

Ravenxl7 08-14-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyCat (Post 10425)
I might pick it up in clearance for 9.58. Lol. But the tower of omens is really sad. How exactly are you supposed t play with it? Go up and down the elevator and that's it? I would much rather have something else.

There's the elevator, the slide bit that can attach to the top of the tower, the light/projecting thing at the top of the tower, the doorway that opens up with the touch of one of their magnets, the vehicle reminiscent of the cat's lair with the firing missile and the cat's head gimmick, and the working catapult. Plenty for a kid to have fun with, imho.

Kregermeister 08-14-2011 09:32 PM

I'll get it, but not at the suggested 40.00.... its way too thin and flimsy for 40.00...... most id pay is like 25, 30 tops, mostly just for Tygra and the Balista.

LXL Guy 08-14-2011 10:27 PM

Isn't that a "Clear Tygra" figure?!

I'll wait and see if it ever goes on sale or clearance. That's when I'll bite on the Tower.

Lord Lion O 08-14-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus (Post 10420)
I think the Tower of Omens is personification of a big issue collectors don't seem to consider. It's not the 80s anymore, and playsets just don't sell like they used to.

On the one hand, yes, it is a sucktacular playset and clearly looks "hacked down" from something much more elaborate.

On the other hand, adding more more to the offering would have pushed the price well beyond the $40 pricepoint that retailers are going to offer this thing. And Thundercats does NOT have the proven sales history of Transformers, Star WArs, or even fricken' Ninja Turtles to try and push an over $50 playset at retail.

As is, the STar Trek Bridge playset from the last movie line also retailed for $40, and all you got was one electronic screen, a mat (cardboard?) and a handful of consoles. And you still had to buy another $100 of fucking figures to "complete" the thing (and all the figures weren't even released to mainstream retail!)

So, no, I will not be purchasing the "playset" and I question Bandai's decision to market that piece of crap alongside better value propositions like the Thundertank and deluxe figures.

You must not have the thunder tank...it's not much better, trust me. I just think this is where we r with toys folks...I have a 8 year old son and just about everything out there is cheap and flimsy. I think they are just trying to get some product out there to use with the figures at a low cost until they can establish themselves in the market. I hope there is better things to come...but things like we had as kids....gone. Happy to have anything cats even if it's not on par with a more established franchise. Not a lot of playsets out there either so it's not horrible.

Mintcondition 08-15-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 (Post 10423)
It's cool, but I doubt I'll ever get it. If it still had that feature where it could combine into one long train-like vehicle, I'd be more interested in it. It's got some nice gimmicks to it, but nothing that interests me enough to buy it. Maybe seeing it in the show will change my mind, but even if it does, I'll still probably wait for it to go on clearance. If we ever get a playset of Mumm-Ra's pyramid or a new version of the cat's lair, I'd be interested in those enough to get them.

Wait, it doesn't combine all together anymore? Where does it say that? That sure sucks...

User897 08-15-2011 11:35 AM

This will end up on the clearance aisle, Bandai will see it as a failure, then blame us when we try to ask for another one that is better.

Ravenxl7 08-15-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintcondition (Post 10447)
Wait, it doesn't combine all together anymore? Where does it say that? That sure sucks...

It was said at Toy Fair back when they first unveiled the toys.

Fuzz 08-15-2011 12:36 PM

My 11yo son was extremely disappointed when he saw this playset, and expressed no interest in it at all.

LXL Guy 08-15-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 10500)
My 11yo son was extremely disappointed when he saw this playset, and expressed no interest in it at all.

More money in your pocket for others down the road.

Thundera 08-21-2011 12:59 AM

This play-set is awful, I don't know why they would release something this awful for a new toy line, a clear tygra? a elevator to nowhere? What the heck were they smoking?

Kregermeister 08-21-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundera (Post 11863)
This play-set is awful, I don't know why they would release something this awful for a new toy line, a clear tygra? a elevator to nowhere? What the heck were they smoking?

Silkys Fruit.

Shenlon 08-21-2011 12:20 PM

Has this been released ? I saw one on E-BAY

IndyCat 08-21-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shenlon (Post 11917)
Has this been released ? I saw one on E-BAY

yes they are starting to show up in stores. I saw the tag for them at TRU but they didnt have any on shelf.

Shenlon 08-21-2011 12:30 PM

The hunt is on again :D I must find one. Though I may be the only person to buy one.

What do they retail for ? and which stores have them ?

User897 08-21-2011 01:06 PM

Retail price is $39.99. I am NOT sold on this, so I hope someone here does an in-depth review. It looks like a cheap pile of sticks that doesn't even assemble into a solid playset.

Shenlon 08-21-2011 01:16 PM

I just called every TRU in my area and they have not got them yet. I know better than to call Wal-Mart/K-Mart. I know whoever answered the phone would act like I was speaking greek.

SaberKat 08-21-2011 08:03 PM

What exactly is the Tower of Omens? I haven't seen the old Thundercats cartoon.

User897 08-21-2011 08:13 PM

Ummm....

The Tower of Omens, as far as I remember, is a creation for the new series, and doesn't exist in the classic one.

Blade Raider 08-21-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by User897 (Post 12007)
Ummm....

The Tower of Omens, as far as I remember, is a creation for the new series, and doesn't exist in the classic one.

Actually, it's a huge (and I mean HUGE) plot point in the original. It was built as an outpost near Dark Side where the Lunatacs' homebase, Sky Tomb, was most of the time (the base was mobile, but had to pass the tower to get out of Dark Side). Lynx-O's braille board was tied into the system of the Tower of Omens as an earlier warning device. It became the New TCats home for most of the show and it was in almost every episode until the plot moved to New Thundera (At that point, I think Tygra was left to watch it).

In the new series, I think it will just be replacing Cat's Lair, however, with Lynx-O already in the show I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there.

User897 08-21-2011 11:10 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Damn, it HAS been a long time. You'll have to forgive me, I am old. :)

Thundera 08-21-2011 11:24 PM

Well I said I wouldn't get it and.....

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...O/IMAG0343.jpg

So here is the story, my walmart had them, and I decided I could not pass the opportunity, I can't decide if I should keep him carded or open it, I have yet to open any of my Thundercats..... All the Thundertcats stuff in the picture is my score for the night lol, so sadly I lied, and it cost me 40$ hahaha O well At least I have half of the toys, so I mines well go get the rest tomorrow of what I can find and just be a completest.... Ah the toy addictions I have,

Shenlon 08-22-2011 05:03 AM

Did they have another tower ?

Thundera 08-22-2011 11:00 AM

Yes they had one more

User897 08-22-2011 11:23 AM

The Thunderian Gods command you to OPEN THESE TOYS AND TAKE PICS FOR US! :)

shimey013 08-22-2011 02:18 PM

If i get a coupon or something I will pick one up. I over all really like the 4 inch line but it does have quite a few downfalls and as of now this feels like one of them. :/

Hyper Jaguar 08-22-2011 05:24 PM

Will the Tower of Omens be in scale with the 4" figures? If it is, I will definitely buy it.

englishw 08-22-2011 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw the Tower of Omens at my local TRU today, but I didn't buy it. $40 seems like a bit much. I get paid Wednesday and I might go back for it... not sure. Here's a picture of it at my local store though :) $39.99 at my TRU in Salem, Oregon. They had 2 or 3.

Ravenxl7 08-22-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper Jaguar (Post 12127)
Will the Tower of Omens be in scale with the 4" figures? If it is, I will definitely buy it.

The tower and all of the vehicles are in-scale with the 4" figures. The tower even comes with a translucent 4" Tygra figure.

Hyper Jaguar 08-22-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 (Post 12141)
The tower and all of the vehicles are in-scale with the 4" figures. The tower even comes with a translucent 4" Tygra figure.

Awesome, looks like i'll be getting a Tower of Omens playset after all!

It really seems that Bandai is really focusing on the toy line for ThunderCats. I say that because the past few years for Power Rangers haven't exactly been that great. And from the way it's looking, the ThunderCats line looks more appealing than the one for Power Rangers Samurai.

RichardC 08-22-2011 08:21 PM

I might get the tower of omens im in the middle of yes and no..40 is a bit high but i come from an age when all toy lines had multiple playsets..and pricing some of the old ones on ebay..the new one is more feesiable just havent decided. i did buy the thundertank this weekend and its not bad for the price

Wilykat 08-22-2011 09:40 PM

I checked my TRU today and the UPC was out but no set yet

Monkian 08-22-2011 11:57 PM

They're rolling into walmarts on the East Coast. Looks like a piece of junk to me, but if you've got to have it, then you've got to have it. For me, if my kids were to be into it and wanted it, I would get it for them, but as a playset.. kind of wanting if you think about it. These guys are in business to make money, and maybe make us happy. Not to make us happy and maybe make money.

squawkbot 08-23-2011 12:47 PM

Im gonna need futher reinforcement from the story/plot of the new episodes before I pull the trigger on this one.

Some memorable and cool stuff has to go down before i pick it up...either that or the release of those lizard mechs. That should make for some pretty cool carpet battles

Shenlon 08-24-2011 02:59 PM

Does anyone have one of these out of the box yet ? I really need to know how tall the tower portion is in exact inches ?

I got my display cabinet today and want to set up for my Tcats , but my tower is coming tomorrow and I need the dimensions to adjust the glass properly.

Mintcondition 08-25-2011 02:13 AM

You know, I really think I'm going to end up buying this. I can't help it, I really dig it even though it doesn't exactly feel like a complete playset. It would just make such a cool set piece for my figures.

And I dig the translucent Tygra. It's supposed to be him when he becomes invisible, so that's pretty cool they made it.

IndyCat 08-25-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shenlon (Post 12632)
Does anyone have one of these out of the box yet ? I really need to know how tall the tower portion is in exact inches ?

I got my display cabinet today and want to set up for my Tcats , but my tower is coming tomorrow and I need the dimensions to adjust the glass properly.

on another thundercats lair forum , someone has lots of out of box pictures. I would link to it, but not sure the rules here.

User897 08-25-2011 10:04 AM

Since this site makes references to ThundercatsLair.org on the front page, I think it's safe to provide THIS LINK to the FINALLY opened Tower of Omens Playset.

If not, then mod feel free to remove the link.

shimey013 08-27-2011 07:20 AM

Video review that i saw this morning.

The "projection light" doesnt project... sad sad :(

Thundercats 2011 Tower Of Omens Playset with Invisible Tygra Toy Review - YouTube

Mintcondition 08-28-2011 02:37 AM

Yeah I really wish the light actually projected the Thundercats symbol. That would have been worth the money alone.

I remember back in Toyfair they said it would project, but...oh well. Only so much you can do with an LED I suppose.

Also, I wish the invisible Tygra came with a clear whip as well, since it turns invisible with him.

SEANxLONG 08-29-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimey013 (Post 13321)
Video review that i saw this morning.

The "projection light" doesnt project... sad sad :(

Thundercats 2011 Tower Of Omens Playset with Invisible Tygra Toy Review - YouTube

Hey thanks Shimey that's my video review! It is sad that it has no projected light. I would like some more sound effects too. It's a waste to just have one sound effect. This playset is no Cats Lair but I still like it a lot. It has a lot of play value and great display piece for all your Thundercats 4" figures. I do like the Tygra figure a lot too.

Vinson 08-29-2011 08:35 PM

I really enjoy your reviews SEANxLONG. There really informative and upbeat. That jtmitchell87 dudes Thundercats reviews are nitpicky and annoying so thank you for making review videos enjoyable :D

SEANxLONG 08-29-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinson (Post 13696)
I really enjoy your reviews SEANxLONG. There really informative and upbeat. That jtmitchell87 dudes Thundercats reviews are nitpicky and annoying so thank you for making review videos enjoyable :D

Thanks Vinson! I enjoy many reviews including JTMichell87. Everyone has different styles. I do say things I don't like or wish they improve on in all my reviews but as long as a toy/figure/playset etc has something that brings out the big kid in me like great detail, great articulation, fun action features, or all of the above then I usually have fun with it and recommend it. I try to be fair in my reviews as well as be informative and entertaining. I appreciate the kind words a lot!

Vinson 08-30-2011 01:18 AM

Yo are you from the Sacramento area too?

shimey013 08-30-2011 09:15 AM

it was a good review. Yea, you def are a big kid which is not a bad thing. Just allows you to have more of an open minded review. I enjoy everyones reviews cause it allows me to get a general idea of how good or bad the toy is or if it's worth getting and playing with.

Tracer 08-30-2011 03:08 PM

Hey SEANxLONG, how do the 4" figures look with the original Cat's Lair and Thundertank? Could you maybe snap some pictures? :)

SEANxLONG 08-30-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinson (Post 13734)
Yo are you from the Sacramento area too?

Yep I'm from Sacramento Area

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 13796)
Hey SEANxLONG, how do the 4" figures look with the original Cat's Lair and Thundertank? Could you maybe snap some pictures? :)

They look great! Not in scale but they look great take a look http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...x/IMG_1345.jpg