Thundercats Forums

Thundercats Forums (http://www.thundercats.ws/forum.php)
-   Thundercats Toys and Merchandise (http://www.thundercats.ws/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tower Of Omens speculations... (http://www.thundercats.ws/showthread.php?t=308)

r3v3n63 02-11-2011 10:34 PM

Tower Of Omens speculations...

After hearing about how Hasbro will not take chances on non vehicular playsets I was pretty surprised to see the Tower of Omens listed as a release. It seems to make seance to test the waters for environmentally based playsets to do the tower as it is smaller then the Cats Lair but design-wize its predominantly a tower on a rock with a spotlight on top. The Thundertank has has a mighty face lift while staying true to the original so I have high hopes for this.
Since its a tower, maybe 2 foot tall? Electronics seem like something major in the 4" line so the Thundersignal on top probably lights up. My guess is that there might be a chunk of mountain that will offer some vehicular parking or room(s) possibly splitting in half to allow access to its insides.
What does everyone else think?

Edit: Wooooow! Was I off! That's what I get for speculat'n...

Joe Moore 02-12-2011 10:35 PM

If past attempts at structure based play sets are an indication, they need to make sure that interactivity is a must. A lot of the these large sets fail to sell due to price and lack of interactivity with figures and other vehicles. If the price is decent, I can see it selling rather well.

r3v3n63 02-13-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Moore (Post 1400)
If past attempts at structure based play sets are an indication, they need to make sure that interactivity is a must. A lot of the these large sets fail to sell due to price and lack of interactivity with figures and other vehicles. If the price is decent, I can see it selling rather well.

It looks as if one of the interactivity aspects they are giving a try is this magnetic activation thing in the figures, I'm betting that will carry over to this palyset as well. Something else that may be cool is that the tower may be approachable from all sides, sets like the Cats Lair had an obvious front and back which always seemed off a bit. I remember getting the old GI Joe HQ when I was a kid and thought to myself, "what is preventing Cobra from attacking from another direction?" On of the oddly cooler playsets I had as a kid was the Milton Bradley Starbird Command Base and even though it was just cardboard I loved that it could be approached from any angle.
As far as price goes $40 sounds promising. We haven't seen the tower yet but the Thundertank is at $30 and it's looking worth it to me.

dolza_khyron 02-20-2011 02:26 PM

the box says it converts to a thunder tank thing.

but the toy itself doesn't look like it does any more.

the one on the box looks so much more amazing! :(

king kahn 02-20-2011 02:59 PM

yeah i was looking at the pics and it doesn't seem like it folds up anymore. The front part of the vehicle changed from a cats head to one that looks like the old cat's lair.

honestly i am fine with it not changing into a vehicle. I hate it when playsets have to turn into vehicles and vice versa.

dolza_khyron 02-20-2011 11:01 PM

yea but the play set in the pictures is 1000 times better then the one on display... lol

thunder_fox85 02-21-2011 04:09 PM

it looks like a kick ass lil playset thats for sure!

dolza_khyron 02-21-2011 06:56 PM

on the box...

in real life, it looks kind'a lacking :(

http://toyfair2011.figures.com/showp...ercats&cat=520

here is the box.

http://toyfair2011.figures.com/showp...ercats&cat=520

and reality... LOL!

GK Punk 02-21-2011 07:57 PM

well the toy isn't finished yet so it could look considerably different by the time it's released.

dolza_khyron 02-21-2011 08:36 PM

yea lol, let's hope so!

but as it is, while i will probably still get it *because i love playsets!*

and i'd love to see them make more later on,

i'd rather have the one on the box, though the actual version doesn't look TOO bad. i like the elevator thing lol

r3v3n63 02-22-2011 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GK Punk (Post 1933)
well the toy isn't finished yet so it could look considerably different by the time it's released.

Oh, I think that is actually it done. What we are seeing is that the box art isn't done yet and the drawing on the front is just a mock-up to give an idea of what it should look like. But the product is done, and that is it.

GK Punk 02-22-2011 04:14 AM

A video interview I believe said it was an unfinished product. At least I thought one of them said that.

trebleshot 02-22-2011 10:07 AM

Personally, I think it's just a painted prototype. Generally, for finished products they would have other figures/accessories to demonstrate the features of the toy on display.

From what I can tell of Dolza's pic, the only things there are part of the set. And it still looks like it is meant to convert to a transport mode ("Thunder Lynx"). But if this is in fact still a prototype at the Toy Fair display, then that functionality could still have been removed before the product was finalized.

Ratar-O 02-22-2011 10:17 AM

I am a sucker for playsets/dioramas so I hope the finished product comes out really well, because I would like to have it.

Lion-O 02-23-2011 05:18 AM

I am dissapoint. No Cat's Lair? That's like He-Man having no Castle Grayskull, The Ghostbusters having no Firehouse, The Tick having no apartment.

dolza_khyron 02-23-2011 06:03 AM

it's not that big of a difference lol, cat's lair wasn't that great anyways. and it was kind'a cheesy, probably would not work in today's cartoons anyways.

a building shaped like a cat lol. i always found it to be very stupid.

then again i liked mumm-ra's lair better lol

trebleshot 02-23-2011 09:49 AM

I didn't think the Cat's Lair was any sillier than the Thundertank, considering both were blatantly cat-themed designs. It was typical 80's thinking - take a theme and run with it.

To me, the lair seemed to fit in fine with the Thundercats, just like Castle Greyskull fit in with He-Man's sword-n-sorcery theme.

Ratar-O 02-23-2011 11:07 AM

Cats Lair wasn't stupid at all, If that is the case then might as well say some of the ancient structures in real life are stupid. Like the great Sphinx in Egypt and countless other monuments and structures throughout Egypt, Rome, Asia and many other places. Better yet let's not stop at ancient times, take a trip to Las Vegas and you will see some structures that my be deemed stupid, but I love them myself. Anyway Cats Lair's design makes perfect sense.

Joe Moore 02-24-2011 08:35 AM

Who's to say a Cat's Lair won't come down the line? We don't know what twists and turns lie ahead. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we see it in future episodes and toys.

LionO84 02-24-2011 12:08 PM

Ya id say maybe wave 3-5 we might see one. If I'm not mistaken for the new He-Man Castle Grey Skull came out some where wave 2-4? So it might take a while but if the series does well they would be stupid to pass it up. Not sure if ill get it though. I don't have a lot of space for big toys.

Altaica 08-04-2011 06:30 AM

Cat's Lair

I would love to have a lair. I missed out on the toys the first time around, so I'm hyped about getting them this time. I have bought a lot of the old figures, but I don't have the playset.

They did show something that resembled the cat's lair in the new show and it got destroyed, so who knows. But they could put something out in a classic line.