Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #70
englishw
Thunderian Commoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
So after you sell a Cheetara for $38.88 the shipping, and fees run you around $17.00? I had no idea the fees for eBay and PayPal were so high for the seller. Hardly makes it worthwhile.
Final Sale $38.88
eBay listing fee - $0.00 (first 50/month are free)
eBay final value fee - $3.50 (9%)
Shipping - $8.00 (his estimate, which seems a bit high)
PayPal fee - $1.43
Figure cost - $14.97 (Wal-mart's price)
Sales tax - $1.31 (assuming LA)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profit per figure $9.79

Now just my $0.02 here. There's nothing wrong with buying figures to make a profit from them or to offer them to people who would rather pay a little more and not have to leave their house. I know I spend quite a bit of money on gas and a lot of my time hunting down pieces for my collection, but for me that's part of the fun of collecting, it's the hunt. For others though, they just want the figure and to have it early and delivered to their door, they pay a little extra.

I would argue though that posting here about how you bought 7 figures, including completely buying out a Wal-Mart, to sell on eBay... probably isn't the best idea. These are the people who go around hunting like I do. These are the people who when they find a hard to find item in stock, buy one for their collection and then take a picture and post it in the ThunderCats Sightings forum so other people from our area know where to go to find it. These are people who might buy two, not sure if they will keep one sealed or end up selling it. I've done that. I've bought two because I knew that selling one for a marked-up price would help me budget the other one. I mostly do that with online short-term deals though. Best Buy had 3DS games for $4.99 and I bought 3 for myself and 3 to resell. The ones I sold more than covered my entire purchase and gave me a little ThunderCats money too =o) For me, doing that online with a short-term deal is very different from walking in to Toys R Us or Wal-Mart and buying up every single figure they have of a hard to find toy and then marking them up 2.5x on eBay to make a few bucks. Again, just my $0.02.