TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   Thundercats.ws > Thundercats Forums
Community Rules Today's Posts Search

View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
Mako Crab
Thunder Kitty
Thanks again.
I think it's good that Autotrooper's concerned about this issue, and sometimes the question does need to be asked whether or not the portrayal of a character is sexist. These are valid questions to ask and examine. I like this kind of discussion. And there are many cases, such as the article about Starfire I linked above, where I think the portrayal of a character is very much sexist. I just don't think Wilykit is a victim of sexism in this case. It's often very easy to over-simplify what exactly sexism is. A sexy, revealing costume all on its own isn't necessarily sexist.

For example, if any of you have seen the X-Men anime that's airing on G4, I couldn't help but notice how Storm was being portrayed in the first episode (haven't watched any more since then). Check it out:

There's nothing horribly wrong with her outfit. Scoop neck with a mid-riff. Not uncommon. But it starts to become a problem when you realize that every shot of Storm frames her breasts. The camera angle on the right looks down her shirt even. Not one time is she ever shown in a close-up of her face. Every shot is from the waist up, insuring that her boobs help sell the show. In this way, even though she's not showing off much skin, it still objectifies the character and reduces her to a sex object.

And again, I don't see this being done to Wilykit (or Cheetara).
Mako Crab is offline   Reply With Quote